NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 7

Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 7 - Page 33 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 7

Post by Rapture_NRL Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 am

my tv broke wrote:https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/20/warriors-set-to-sign-rookie-prop-following-afoa-injury/

Doesn't have any actual quotes but it does say that Papali'i will be a middle forward this season.

Not sure who plays edge? Official sites often don't mean much and just get updated by the social media guy, but the warriors site lists Blair as a 2nd row and Papali'i as a Lock

Do they mean he's lock? Get Blair into prop rotation with Pap and Burr sharing Lock duties?

Probably won't happen but would love Pulu to jag a spot on that right edge. Really good dude and kinda wasted here.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

Mulvy wrote:Man you really can do wonderful things without Haas.

Friend
    Merrin Carrigan
    Lolo Brown Fifita
    Moses Mann
    Burns Lomax
    Pappy Drinky Aekins

Koro, Brailey, Hess/Leilua, Luai

Nuff x4

I just like the (C) on Haas more than I do on Lolo.

Very tempted to steal that as a template
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 am

Mulvy wrote:I just like the (C) on Haas more than I do on Lolo.

Something out the C on Lolo just leaves me feeling stressed.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am

my tv broke wrote:

Something out the C on Lolo just leaves me feeling stressed.

Didn't TPJ destroy Lolo last year? Made him miss a bunch of weeks??
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am

I am a bit scared not owning one of DCE/Turbo to start the year. I feel if Turbo stays healthy they will be so lethal.

Just looking at their first 1-2 months of footy they have a pretty tough run to start the year.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:08 am

StormTrooper96 wrote:

Didn't TPJ destroy Lolo last year? Made him miss a bunch of weeks??

He did but the injury was more to do with getting bent backwards in a tackle when there was a guy around his legs.

Lolo probably has a point to prove against the Broncos and could come out firing in round 1.
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2020-harry-grant-release-craig-bellamy-melbourne-storm-contract-wests-tigers-rugby-league/news-story/2b1ed3a5d594b4e4b2485f2c2dbfb495

Storm don't play Tigers until Round 16 which is a bye week from memory. Wonder if he went whether he would be allowed to play against the Storm.
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am

Boozecluez wrote:Enjoying the thread so far
    Pools, Wages, Politics, Player firsts, Team changes every hour .....It has everything

Now for a wall of text haha

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just something to add which may have been touched on
    Base price Rookie bench forwards V Rookie Backs

Predicting minutes let alone a rookie off the bench is tough.
    The thing is if you miss these bench forwards you can pick them up easier than where a rookie back who nabs 2 tries gets expensive fast.

If you miss the back, do you buy them in the following week and hope they score a couple more tries for you, or pass on them?
    You are behind the 8 ball now and your expectations are high based on this.
    Common mistakes are you buy them in then they score a few low scores for you, so then you trade only for them to score high again...
    We all make this mistake and you see people get frustrated when this happens to them resulting in 2 wasted trades and no $$$ gain.

Sivo is a good example here from last year.
    Chances are they will get a few weeks themselves to start the year so worth a gamble each week to be honest, regardless who they are they just need pass the eye test and some luck.
    If after 2-3 weeks they look like a dud, there is probably someone else you can swap out easy enough, but at least you owned a lotto ticket.

A forwards points are more reliable but they need a base amount of minutes to put up a score to give you the cash boost early on or hope for an injury or a role change.
    Though it doesn't help cash generation when they score well every other week and slowly burn.
    Who knows if the coach sits them on the bench most of the game the following week and kills their scoring. It doesn't effect real life much but it sure does effect Fantasy.
    Sure you might start with a player for 4 weeks with a minor increase on the hope they bust a big score, but these role players are usually to run hard and make tackles so steady and slow points.
    They are less likely to be on the end of a try scoring pass.
    They rely on a role changes (which simply means extra minutes of more running hard and tackling) and they start scoring big because of this
    Remember you can easily trade them in too once this happens as you don't get an award for all those who started with them

Mentally as well, a back plays 80mins each week so nothing really to look at further, its just a calculated gamble as their points are very boom bust. They play the same role each week, its mostly luck here.
    So start with the cheap back and see what happens, you can always grab that bench forward later

Also don't be afraid of playing them in your starting WFB, you aren't paying much (Points per $$ as well) and as long as you spend the saved money elsewhere well, then they can easily score as good as a mid ranged WFB.

TLDR So start with a cheap back and see what happens, you can always grab that bench forward later and don't be afraid of starting them in CTR/WFB position to start the year

Thanks for that, really good post. This forum is great for ideas and gauging what direction to take based on what others are doing, and also what they're not doing.

But this is just straight up good advice and I'll admit I currently have seven second and front rowers as my cheapies and that's going to change. It was always dependent on TLT, but I'm certainly going to keep your post in mind when I see who gets named, possibly adjusting the way I think.

I'll admit I wasn't even going to consider the likes of Saab, but I will now. Starting with Sivo last year I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure this out myself, but thanks for putting it out there. Wink
    Wildbux
    Wildbux

Post by Wildbux Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am

Another day, another draft. Although this one I'm quite happy with (pending trials and TLT of course).

Anyone have any thoughts around my picks?

Koro
    Haas Knight
    Fifita Williams Brown
    Moses Luai
    Burns Lomax
    Paps Brimson Aekins

Brailey, Carrigan, Stimson, Drinkwater
    Musgrove Mago Smith-Shields Leleisiuao
    Khany
    Khany

Post by Khany Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:15 am

Tpj did get a few shots on Lolo, then struggled staying in the line and teams subsequently attacked the broncos there.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

Mulvy wrote:Man you really can do wonderful things without Haas.

Friend
    Merrin Carrigan
    Lolo Brown Fifita
    Moses Mann
    Burns Lomax
    Pappy Drinky Aekins

Koro, Brailey, Hess/Leilua, Luai

Nuff x4

I just like the (C) on Haas more than I do on Lolo.

That's pretty much my team at the moment, so I approve
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:19 am

Pangai had obviously been told to go out there with massive intensity leaving nothing in the tank, he was subbed at 17 mins. Cowboys were unprepared. Pretty effective strategy by Seibold on that occasion.
    eyipftwari
    eyipftwari

Post by eyipftwari Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:32 am

my fav drafts so far

koro
    m Taupau p hass
    graham fifita williams
    moses flanagan
    burns lomax
    pap brimson drinkwater

mag brailey luai sabb
    3x246 1x 228
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:33 am

Iron Mike wrote:https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2020-harry-grant-release-craig-bellamy-melbourne-storm-contract-wests-tigers-rugby-league/news-story/2b1ed3a5d594b4e4b2485f2c2dbfb495

Storm don't play Tigers until Round 16 which is a bye week from memory. Wonder if he went whether he would be allowed to play against the Storm.

Looks like we'll all be trading Grant in after round 1 if this deal goes ahead
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:33 am

Rapture_NRL wrote:

Do they mean he's lock? Get Blair into prop rotation with Pap and Burr sharing Lock duties?

Probably won't happen but would love Pulu to jag a spot on that right edge. Really good dude and kinda wasted here.

Keep in mind after a month Tevaga should be starting lock playing big minutes
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

Boozecluez wrote:Enjoying the thread so far
    Pools, Wages, Politics, Player firsts, Team changes every hour .....It has everything

Now for a wall of text haha

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just something to add which may have been touched on
    Base price Rookie bench forwards V Rookie Backs

Predicting minutes let alone a rookie off the bench is tough.
    The thing is if you miss these bench forwards you can pick them up easier than where a rookie back who nabs 2 tries gets expensive fast.

If you miss the back, do you buy them in the following week and hope they score a couple more tries for you, or pass on them?
    You are behind the 8 ball now and your expectations are high based on this.
    Common mistakes are you buy them in then they score a few low scores for you, so then you trade only for them to score high again...
    We all make this mistake and you see people get frustrated when this happens to them resulting in 2 wasted trades and no $$$ gain.

Sivo is a good example here from last year.
    Chances are they will get a few weeks themselves to start the year so worth a gamble each week to be honest, regardless who they are they just need pass the eye test and some luck.
    If after 2-3 weeks they look like a dud, there is probably someone else you can swap out easy enough, but at least you owned a lotto ticket.

A forwards points are more reliable but they need a base amount of minutes to put up a score to give you the cash boost early on or hope for an injury or a role change.
    Though it doesn't help cash generation when they score well every other week and slowly burn.
    Who knows if the coach sits them on the bench most of the game the following week and kills their scoring. It doesn't effect real life much but it sure does effect Fantasy.
    Sure you might start with a player for 4 weeks with a minor increase on the hope they bust a big score, but these role players are usually to run hard and make tackles so steady and slow points.
    They are less likely to be on the end of a try scoring pass.
    They rely on a role changes (which simply means extra minutes of more running hard and tackling) and they start scoring big because of this
    Remember you can easily trade them in too once this happens as you don't get an award for all those who started with them

Mentally as well, a back plays 80mins each week so nothing really to look at further, its just a calculated gamble as their points are very boom bust. They play the same role each week, its mostly luck here.
    So start with the cheap back and see what happens, you can always grab that bench forward later

Also don't be afraid of playing them in your starting WFB, you aren't paying much (Points per $$ as well) and as long as you spend the saved money elsewhere well, then they can easily score as good as a mid ranged WFB.

TLDR So start with a cheap back and see what happens, you can always grab that bench forward later and don't be afraid of starting them in CTR/WFB position to start the year

I don't agree with this, your decision should be based on the individual player and not what position they are. Sivo maxed out last year at $532k after round 11. Lawrie maxed out at $577K after round 9. Lawrie hit $539K after round 7. Don't just stack your reserves with outside backs because they are playing 80 minutes and have a high chance of scoring a try. Trick is to pick the 40 minute bench forwards and not the 15-20 minute ones.

Look for backs that can break tackles like Sivo and then when they don't score tries they will still score high enough to hold.
    I would prefer a 35-40 minute Musgrove over Saab, who isn't even assured of a spot over Pereira, Ravalawa and Sailor.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am

Chewie wrote:

Could save a trade and get him from the start like Xerri Beer

I'm torn, probably better off leaving him out, would be a perfect downgrade candidate for someone like Keppie after AFB returns if he starts in AFB's absence

Last edited by Camo123 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    eyipftwari
    eyipftwari

Post by eyipftwari Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am

cant link but think levi locked up the gig is he worth a look
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am

Chewie wrote:

We will know by before lockout which makes Grant the perfect foil for loophole in round 1. Storm play sunday also. Could allow you to have two bites at the 4th reserve for week 1.
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:41 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

What are your expectations of Kikau? I don't see any improvement personally

Kikau would be a go with your gut pick. Im currently playing around with Kikau, Taumalolo and Fifita as my backrow. Very boom or bust!

I still think Kikau will be the go to player for the Panthers and surely he can bounce back from last year

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:12 pm