NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

Post by No Worries Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am

Milchy wrote:
    To move the conversation on from the current topic.

One thing I am looking at doing this year is reducing origin players in general.
    I think players like Teddy/Cook cause too much of a problem when they always get rests on top of the games they miss for origin.

Sometimes they score too many points in the other rounds to pass up, but one of my problems last year was struggling to field a team over origin (Didn't help that for origin 3 all my bye players seemed to get injured, which also impacted a lot of other people)

Not being a big bye planner I like this idea, coupled with leaning towards players playing round 12 could save you quite a few trades. Plenty of Islander and Pommie players to pick from
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 am

StormTrooper96 wrote:To add to the argument, it is all luck. None of us know what is going to happen. Haas could bust out a banner in R1 against the Cows and he can make cash and lower his BE for a couple weeks. Haas could do a pec muscle while trying to fend off Taumololo. These are the things we don't know. What we do know his Haas is premium, but I believe you are getting what you pay for; his scores ranged from 50-100 last year. Not a single score below 50 is ridiculous and many are just waiting for that one bad game. Maybe 50 is his bad game. I know, as many examples have been made, it is possible to not start without him; however, for what we know now; Haas is the Broncos main enforcer, the forwards aren't where the Broncos really struggled last year so do we really see that changing much? The change needs to come in the halves and the backs. For now I will be trying to get him in my team each way till Sunday.

Someone I have only seen mentioned a couple times is Fifita. Hopefully he has done something about that knee. No Prior, No Gallen and should be cut price at about 650K (started last year at 864K) he will be a much cheaper option up front with the ability to score very similar if in the mood and given the minutes.

EDIT: SORRY MILCH, DIDNT SEE

There's luck in this game for sure, but its pretty clear that some people rank consistently high each year vs others who do not....
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

There's luck in this game for sure, but its pretty clear that some people live in their parent's basement vs others who do not....

FTFY
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

No Worries wrote:

FTFY

Yeah, I would have finished higher if Mum didn't turn off my internet access.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am

They are having an open day for Queensland Country Stadium (Cowboys) on Feb 22nd. Get to go into the change rooms, corporate boxes, on the field, etc. I will be going to suss it out and see how things will go down this year. Apparently the corporate boxes are pretty flash!
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:01 am

Honey Badger wrote:

I read somewhere fifita's knee injury is bone on bone and struggled through most of last season with it

I read that too, may have been nrlsupercoachtalk.com, but scans of knee showed bone on bone. In any case, Fifita doesn't fill me with confidence at all, the uptick of minutes for Uele and Williams, along with the emergence of Rudolph and Magoulias more than replaces the ability of two past it players (Gallen was great in his prime but the game has moved on). I don't see Fifita improving much at all, and his real life tackling technique is somewhat not textbook.

Think Rudolph is the real smokie:

Sharks coach John Morris has a high opinion of Rudolf and sees success on the horizon.

"I said to him, 'If you nail this next five or six weeks [of pre-season], it could be the start of a really long career for you'," Morris said.

"He's very physical, he's got a real big motor, can play big minutes. A rugged type of middle-edge forward.

"I'm expecting big things from him but he hasn't played a game yet, so I don't want to get too excited."

Last edited by Iron Mike on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am

I'd always start with a keeper-level Kiwi/Pom over an Aussie in this game, simply because of Origin. Still room for two or three, but if I have eg. Haas and Ted (being way ahead of non-Origin players in their position) then I'd favour SJ over Cleary, Lolo/Bateman over Jurbo. Also, if your mid-tier players do well (eg Wighton & Murray last year) then you have more Origin players than you thought.

Talking of Kiwis, is Tohu fit? He'll be interesting at the right price.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am

No Worries wrote:

FTFY

Haha, thanks mate.
    Iron Mike
    Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:10 am

rhinoceroo wrote:I'd always start with a keeper-level Kiwi/Pom over an Aussie in this game, simply because of Origin. Still room for two or three, but if I have eg. Haas and Ted (being way ahead of non-Origin players in their position) then I'd favour SJ over Cleary, Lolo/Bateman over Jurbo. Also, if your mid-tier players do well (eg Wighton & Murray last year) then you have more Origin players than you thought.

Talking of Kiwis, is Tohu fit? He'll be interesting at the right price.

SJ over Cleary this year with no Maloney?

Agree with the rest.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am

Iron Mike wrote:

Agree with the rest.

SJ had a down year in real life last year and still averaged 58 in the last 8 games when half-injured. For highest-scoring half reckon it's likely between SJ, Cleary and DCE, and SJ has no Origin.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

SJ had a down year in real life last year and still averaged 58 in the last 8 games when half-injured. For highest-scoring half reckon it's likely between SJ, Cleary and DCE, and SJ has no Origin.

SJ came into training camp a month early to work on his strength and conditioning. He said he is aware he has been plagued by injury in the past and he said he played most of last year at 80%. He said he wanted to come in early (something he said he has never done) to work on getting his body perfect for the season. Good signs! Plus Sharks squad this year looks poised for some attack. Williams, Xerri, Brailey, SJ, Moylan, Dugan, Graham, Fifita. Might be worth having a few of those blokes in ya squad.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:21 am

Thing about Cleary is, he rarely has a really low scoring game, because he is always in the game. DCE is similar. SJ can disappear a bit. Maybe this year will be different, who knows.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am

QUESTION TIME!

Would you rather;

a) Have a player score 20's and 60's to average 40 for the year

OR

b) Have a player score 35's and 45's to average 40 for the year
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

Post by Ben Marlin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am

Iron Mike wrote:

Agree with the rest.
    I think Cleary will most likely average 60+ this year and I don't see SJ scoring that high.

I don't think Cleary is guaranteed to play origin either since he's competing against Brooks, Moses, Keary, Pearce, Reynolds, Wighton etc.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:38 am

StormTrooper96 wrote:QUESTION TIME!

Would you rather;

OR

Strange question. I pressure you are angling at the psychological toll on the fantasy coach? or making a subtle point....

In any case I'll answer with a different angle though and say (a) as it potentially allows for more upside in price increases if they can string together a series of 60s.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:39 am

SJ is an avoid for me. Injury prone, goes missing, he's the sort of guy you might get lucky with and bring in later in the season for cheap and get a string of high games (last year), but I would never start the kid (anymore).
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

Post by Ben Marlin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am

Would you rather;

OR

Well if both players are in your top 17 for the entire season it doesn't matter since you get the same amount of points (unless we're talking captains)

But if it comes down to which set of players you would rather start with it and trade further on down the track it would be option B. A player averaging 60 is not as likely to rise in value and it is very hard to upgrade the 20-point player without selling your 60 point player gun. Option B is much more flexible since you don't need to sell both players if a new cow/mid-ranger pops up and they would probably make more money than option A.
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

Post by Ben Marlin Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am

Would you rather;

OR

Well if both players are in your top 17 for the entire season it doesn't matter since you get the same amount of points (unless we're talking captains)

But if it comes down to which set of players you would rather start with it and trade further on down the track it would be option B. A player averaging 60 is not as likely to rise in value and it is very hard to upgrade the 20-point player without selling your 60 point player gun. Option B is much more flexible since you don't need to sell both players if a new cow/mid-ranger pops up and they would probably make more money than option A.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

Would you rather;

OR

Can I predict the 60s and 20s? And put him in my NPRs for the low scores?

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 am

Ben Marlin wrote:
    I don't think Cleary is guaranteed to play origin either since he's competing against Brooks, Moses, Keary, Pearce, Reynolds, Wighton etc.

He is an absolute lock to play game 1 unless injury occurs or something else incredibly drastic goes down.

He's played two origin series now, and NSW have won both.

Gut feel is that Panthers start of the season off much better than last year. Don't have the distractions of recent years, plus the addition of Koroisau should really help them.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 am