NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

The Final Team

Cap'n Ranta
    Cap'n Ranta

The Final Team Empty The Final Team

Post by Cap'n Ranta Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Hey Guys,

Currently we have 8 spots remaining for keepers

HOK: ?
    FRF: Fifita, Haas
    2RF: Murray, Arrow, ?
    HLF: ?, ?
    CTR: Bateman, Nikora
    WFB: Tedesco, Ponga, ?

Bench: Taupau (Duals), ?, ?, ?

I'd like to do something similar to what we did at the start of the season and just get a vibe of who we are trying to bring in for these spots. Trying to get a long term plan together so I can hold our weekly trades more accountable to a general vision.

I'll compile the results but please just list the 8 players you would add to our team. Note we can worry about 18th man/19th man later. What is the roster we want at rd 18?
    (Note this doesn't exclude us from buying other players like R. Martin for bye coverage but when we trade him in we know we need to get him out.)

Mine would be

CS9
    Farah
    Cook
    Jurbo
    DCE
    Lolo
    Reynolds
    TTurbo

Anyone else want to share their final 8 keepers?

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

The Final Team Empty Re: The Final Team

Post by rhinoceroo Thu May 02, 2019 2:20 am

Cap'n Ranta wrote:Hey Guys,

Currently we have 8 spots remaining for keepers

HOK: ?
    2RF: Murray, Arrow, ?
    HLF: ?, ?
    WFB: Tedesco, Ponga, ?

Bench: Taupau (Duals), ?, ?, ?

I'd like to do something similar to what we did at the start of the season and just get a vibe of who we are trying to bring in for these spots. Trying to get a long term plan together so I can hold our weekly trades more accountable to a general vision.

I'll compile the results but please just list the 8 players you would add to our team. Note we can worry about 18th man/19th man later. What is the roster we want at rd 18?
    (Note this doesn't exclude us from buying other players like R. Martin for bye coverage but when we trade him in we know we need to get him out.)

Mine would be

CS9
    Farah
    Cook
    Jurbo
    DCE
    Lolo
    Reynolds
    TTurbo

Anyone else want to share their final 8 keepers?

Most of your list, yes ideally, but I'd veer towards getting McInnis over JTrbo because you can get him before the second bye and there's effectively a 10% points benefit to doing that vs a SoO player. If McInnis is one hooker too many then maybe look at Harris or SST (might even swap Arrow for one of those if loads of trades spare, though doesn't look like there will be.)

Similarly, I'd take RTS over TTrbo, unless you think Tom is going to score 5+ points per week more. There might be value in having all the Big 4 wfbs, with Ponga on bench covering wfb/hlf, but cash & trades will probably prevent that.

Not entirely sold on ARey as an ubergun half. At some point we're going to have to pick up guns who are injury discounted, and SJ will fit that bill after he's back.

So:

CS9
    Cook
    Farah
    McInnis
    Taumalolo
    DCE
    SJ
    RTS
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 6:53 am

While I am keen for us to look to the end game with the final 17, I cant help but feel the elephant in the room is where on earth are we headed for the byes. Currently we have ONLY 7 players (out of 21) good to go for 12 (assuming the usual suspects play origin). That is no where near enough IMO. So while Im keen to add my 2 cents to the final 17 talk, we gotta sort out 12 first I reckon!

If everyone has a think back to last year I think you'll find that most who did well overall would have had at on average 13 for the first bye round.

We are gonna have to coordinate something to get something even close to that.

ARey, Tolo surely have to be targets as they are two of the options that IMO have the best chance to be season keepers.

Then you look to the second tier of guys who are an outsiders chance, but worth the risk

Martin, Kikau, Tolman, Surgess (No doubt there are more to add)

and then a couple guys to seriously keen an eye on due to injury:

TTrbo & DCE

Seeing as we've now traded in Smith, I fail to see how we can realistically grab more than 3 of the above (assuming we are also targeting Farah).

So I propose we make a list of these round 12 playing targets, vote on them to rank them, and then trade them in.

If we traded in 3 + a couple CC trade outs that play 12, we could get close to 13 (probably more likely 11 or 12.).

Last edited by Rippin and Tearin on Thu May 02, 2019 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:While I am keen for us to look to the end game with the final 17, I cant help but feel the elephant in the room is where on earth are we headed for the byes. Currently we have ONLY 7 players good to go for 12 (assuming the usual suspects play origin).

That is no where near enough IMO. So while Im keen to add my 2 cents to the final 17 talk, we gotta sort out 12 first I reckon!

We've spent too many trades to worry about bringing in players for 1 round, IMO.

I don't want to bring anyone in unless they are a final 17 player, or will make a bunch of cash. If they do one of these and play round 12, then bonus. Otherwise we'll sacrifice too many points in rounds 9, 10 , 11, 13 to make it not worth getting a few more in 12.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 7:17 am

Milchy wrote:

We've spent too many trades to worry about bringing in players for 1 round, IMO.

I don't want to bring anyone in unless they are a final 17 player, or will make a bunch of cash. If they do one of these and play round 12, then bonus. Otherwise we'll sacrifice too many points in rounds 9, 10 , 11, 13 to make it not worth getting a few more in 12.

Yeah, I think we are on the same page but perhaps Im a little more bullish on round 12 than you.

I've added to my post above. Im not talking at all about bringing in players for 1 round. Im talking about brining in guys who will play 12 that are either keepers or a decent shot at being final 18 worthy. Im also talking about ensuring any cash out plays 12 too.

I think we are in the position where we can take the punt on 1 guy that has a good chance of being final 18. For me that's Martin.

If I had my way I'd be bringing in Tolo, Arey, and Martin + Farah and a cash out or two prior to 12 (Would need to re-run the scenarios post the Smith/Lomax trade to see what is viable).

I guess my issue is that our current round 12 position is gonna kill us!

Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 am

I did my trade plan for my team last night and it's got one more trade left than this team. I don't see how we can realistically do much bye planning other than trying for non origin players without running out of trades well before we get to our ideal 17.
    Bringing in a bunch of round 12 players is just going to screw us for the second bye as were not going to be able to get them out before then.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 am

Krump wrote:I did my trade plan for my team last night and it's got one more trade left than this team. I don't see how we can realistically do much bye planning other than trying for non origin players without running out of trades well before we get to our ideal 17.
    Bringing in a bunch of round 12 players is just going to screw us for the second bye as were not going to be able to get them out before then.

I cant recall exactly how I traded last year, but Im pretty sure I max traded up to and past the first bye round. I either had 12 or 13 for that first bye round.

I know I got pretty lucky, but I managed to get myself a gun team and ride out the last few rounds with no trades left. I finished 35th or something I think.

My suggestion is simply 2 or 3 round 12 players and a couple cows. That'll get us close to what I suspect the well planned teams will have for the first bye round and will only take perhaps 5 trades leading to round 12. Leaving us with 16 trades, easily enough to get our final 17 together.

Am I missing something?

Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu May 02, 2019 9:06 am

We've got 20 trades left right? 8 of those are gone bringing in keepers and without a huge bank ATM were going to use close to that many again milking cows. Thats 14 of our 20 gone leaving 6 for injury and bye planning and any other unexpected circumstances that pop up. Unless they are a genuine keeper or cow I don't see the value in bring someone in for one weeks score when they'll miss the other bye anyway.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am

Krump wrote:We've got 20 trades left right? 8 of those are gone bringing in keepers and without a huge bank ATM were going to use close to that many again milking cows. Thats 14 of our 20 gone leaving 6 for injury and bye planning and any other unexpected circumstances that pop up. Unless they are a genuine keeper or cow I don't see the value in bring someone in for one weeks score when they'll miss the other bye anyway.

21 trades left.

Also agree that probably 14 of those 21 for keepers. Therefore 7 remaining for injury and bye planning.

That said, those two groups of trades dont have to be mutually exclusive. You can get keepers and bye plan at the same time.

ARey is easily ranking inside the top 17 currently when you take into account the injured guys. Tolo will likely be a top 17 player.

Secondly, the 7 remaining, unless we plan on being ultra conservative and holding 7 trades for injury? then we surely can use 2 or 3 for bye planning? Hence you have the potential to take a risk on a Martin type player and flicklhim off to a round 16 playing keeper later.

Post by Guest Thu May 02, 2019 9:24 am

Something like:

HOK: Cook
    2RF: Murray, Arrow, Jurbo
    HLF: ARey, DCE
    WFB: Tedesco, Turbo, RTS

Bench: Taupau (Duals), Smith, LOLO, Ponga

Smith (was traded in this week)
    Cook
    Jurbo
    DCE
    LOLO
    Reynolds
    Turbo
    RTS

If $s are short then I'd sacrifice Turbo or RTS (play Ponga in the 13) for a killed spot (at 17) and some cheaper boom/bust loop options in 18/19 etc
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am

Also, the other thing that both you and Milch have said is not seeing the relevance on bringing someone in for 1 weeks worth of scores. Perhaps thats the part we differ.

For example if you bring in ARey now for Morgan. You get his 1 week of score for sure, but you also get a 10 point per week upgrade. Thats actually the point.

Same would go for Martin over someone like Lawrie for example - extra weeks score and probably 5-10 points added.

Tolo too - probably 5 to 10 points per week better than Burr.

You do all that and not only do you get 3 extra guys for round 12 (for arguments sake $160 extra points) you also get lets say conservatively an extra 25 points per round for the next 4 rounds too. All up 260 points for a handful of trades and each one might also be keeper worthy...
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu May 02, 2019 9:43 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Also, the other thing that both you and Milch have said is not seeing the relevance on bringing someone in for 1 weeks worth of scores. Perhaps thats the part we differ.

For example if you bring in ARey now for Morgan. You get his 1 week of score for sure, but you also get a 10 point per week upgrade. Thats actually the point.

Same would go for Martin over someone like Lawrie for example - extra weeks score and probably 5-10 points added.

Tolo too - probably 5 to 10 points per week better than Burr.

You do all that and not only do you get 3 extra guys for round 12 (for arguments sake $160 extra points) you also get lets say conservatively an extra 25 points per round for the next 4 rounds too. All up 260 points for a handful of trades and each one might also be keeper worthy...
    I think were kind of arguing over agreeing a little bit here lol! like I said I'm all for grabbing rd12 keepers and Martin is the only one of those who wouldnt be in our final team.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

Verbal Kint wrote:Something like:

HOK: Cook
    2RF: Murray, Arrow, Jurbo
    HLF: ARey, DCE
    WFB: Tedesco, Turbo, RTS

Bench: Taupau (Duals), Smith, LOLO, Ponga

Smith (was traded in this week)
    Cook
    Jurbo
    DCE
    LOLO
    Reynolds
    Turbo
    RTS

If $s are short then I'd sacrifice Turbo or RTS (play Ponga in the 13) for a killed spot (at 17) and some cheaper boom/bust loop options in 18/19 etc

Yeah man, if I had to put a player in each spot I'd be looking at something very similar.

The one thing I'd point out is that last year there were 10 players that averaged 55+ (or very close to 55) a few of those over 60 and you for sure want ALL of them.

There are perhaps another 3 or 4 you also want in the low to mid 50s.

BUT for the last 3 or 4 spots, last year there were 18 guys averaging between 49 and 52. Theres not a whole lot of difference there. Hence why I think you can take a punt on guys like Martin (averaged 51.5 last year) as even if they dont fit the mould automatically for a final 17 as per above, you could survive with them for the season.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu May 02, 2019 9:45 am

Krump wrote:
    I think were kind of arguing over agreeing a little bit here lol!  like I said I'm all for grabbing rd12 keepers and Martin is the only one of those who wouldnt be in our final team.

Haha, yeah mate!!
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 am

Bringing ARey in now is fine.

Especially with DCE's injury, he stands a good chance at being a top 2 half from here to round 25. I'm not quite as 100% sold on him as some others, but he's certainly worth consideration

Lolo as well (although we want to wait a week or 2 after he returns to make sure he is fit)

I think we probably want our final team by round 17/18 and maybe 4-6 trades left for injury, and to grab anyone who looks like going on a run of good form.

Its mainly guys like Waddell, random Titans forwards, that I don't think will give us the value we want and I am looking to avoid us spending trades on.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 am

As for the final 17, if we can swing it, 4 hookers might be the go.

Cook
    Smith
    McInnes
    Farah

Farah might end up 4th best of those but he's about to be so cheap we might find him hard to ignore.

Halves. DCE with someone looks good.
    SJ is in a Farah situation where he might get too cheap to ignore. Was averaging 49 before injury. Whether he goal kicks or not on his return makes a difference too.
    But if we get Arey it likely means forgoing one if DCE/SJ

JTurbo and Taumalolo are best 2RF options. Everyone else looks a step below. Maybe get Crichton/Kikau to save money.

RTS or Ttrbo for last WFB. Funds and turbos injury may dictate this

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 am