NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by MilfordTheMagician Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm

surmo13 wrote:

criticism is a-ok, hell i've been doing my share of it as well, but if I were for some weird reason unable to watch/hear about football and was only given your posts here a a guideline to how the Broncos are travelling this year, I'd assume we were winless with the worst roster in the league, daylight coming a distant second....

We're playing well below what our talent is capable of and there are still 7 teams worse than us, we've unearthed some genuine players of the future in Isaako & Pangai, Su'A is coming along nicely, we have the most talented crop of juniors in the comp on the cusp of selection, Sure, this year hasn't been up to our lofty standards, but it's not like we are on the way down.

If you're a true fan, then i am sorry for calling it into question, but surely if you were to look at it from the outside looking in, you would see where i was coming fro, the only difference between your posts here and those to come into this thread to start shit is that you refer to the Broncos as 'we'

Saying someone isn't a true fan is downright insulting, especially when I've been following them for over 25 years. Yes at times I'm pessimistic and that's my fault and ill admit it might come off annoying at times so I'll try and fix that, but everyone has different ways of going about how they support their sports teams, that doesn't mean they're not true fans. Like I've already stated, it's because I'm not happy with how the club has royally fucked some signings since the GF.

We supposedly have the best talent coming through every single season but always seem to lose those players for very little... that's frustrating to me.

It's been 12 years since a GF win and I think all the fans are frustrated and becoming impatient. We blew it in 2015 and we need to get back to a GF soon or it's going to be another year wasted, and another year wasted, and so on...
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:As for the game the other night, it was a fucking disgrace.
    Ref's totally lost control.

Slater try was shite but that can happen, although I'd expect the video ref to pick it up when all and sundry on the field were saying no try.
    For all the crap Slater cops, kudos to him for waving it off.

But it wasn't that bad call I was most incensed about, it was just a poorly ref'd game in terms of letting the Storm do what they do best.
    Pretty clear when the players are getting as frustrated as they were that the ref's had lost control of the game.

Not the refs fault. They made the right calls and the Broncos spine (whose turn was it this week?) let the experienced Melbourne spine control the pace of the game, through whatever avenue they wanted. Cam Smith is the best at it in the league.

Not sure what the video ref was meant to "pick up on" when he reviewed it, unless there's some evidence not shown to him that has come to light since?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 am

Honeysett wrote:Did they cost you the game or just lost control?

Not one to say the ref's cost us the game HS but the one thing I hate about a game like that though is that nobody will ever know.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 am

ryno_ wrote:

Not the refs fault. They made the right calls and the Broncos spine (whose turn was it this week?) let the experienced Melbourne spine control the pace of the game, through whatever avenue they wanted. Cam Smith is the best at it in the league.

Not sure what the video ref was meant to "pick up on" when he reviewed it, unless there's some evidence not shown to him that has come to light since?

Just the original evidence that was on hand that evening Ryno.

I get the rule but the reason it didn't feel right to Slater was because he wasn't able to get his foot to the ball when he wanted to (I think mainly because his player was in the way) and thus it wasn't simultaneous or a pure drop kick.

Pretty easy to pick up if you have ever kicked a football.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 am

surmo13 wrote:

except it wasn't, this week it was Bellamy, the week beforehand it was Green and the week before that it was Walters

except he's not fronting a meeting, he's holding a press conference to advertise his product, and i'm yet to see any-one in that position willingly allow a media circus to hijack said conference to ignore the product and direct all questioning about the speaker's current held position

they didnt ask him about green and walters succeeding him in press conferences did they?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 am

Pieman wrote:

they didnt ask him about green and walters succeeding him in press conferences did they?

Honestly, I'm glad Bennett is giving them nothing and the media can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Particularly blokes like Kent (and even Tallis), who are consistently pursuing agenda's built off grudges that exist because Bennett won't spoon feed them anymore.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Honestly, I'm glad Bennett is giving them nothing and the media can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Particularly blokes like Kent (and even Tallis), who are consistently pursuing agenda's built off grudges that exist because Bennett won't spoon feed them anymore.

what do you mean he is giving them nothing?
    he is playing right into it (on purpose mind you) to take attention away from his currently underperforming side
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 am

Pieman wrote:

what do you mean he is giving them nothing?
    he is playing right into it (on purpose mind you) to take attention away from his currently underperforming side

I don't think this is the usual Bennett mind games to draw attention away mate....and if it is, it's not working as the team is copping more flack about underperforming than how we are actually travelling (not too bad IMO).

I just genuinely think he doesn't want to give them any more than he is obliged to.
    Don't really blame him given he focus on his private life.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:19 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I have noticed Tallis goes hard on him. What's his grudge ?
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:20 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Just the original evidence that was on hand that evening Ryno.

I get the rule but the reason it didn't feel right to Slater was because he wasn't able to get his foot to the ball when he wanted to (I think mainly because his player was in the way) and thus it wasn't simultaneous or a pure drop kick.

Pretty easy to pick up if you have ever kicked a football.

It was as clean a drop kick as you can execute in traffic. Accidentally, sure, but you can't rule something as against the rules just because it was a fluke. No different to the Benji one about a decade ago when a mis-punt turned into a drop kick, went about about a foot forward and he regained it to run the field (after side stepping half the team, Boyd included).

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:47 am

ryno_ wrote:

It was as clean a drop kick as you can execute in traffic. Accidentally, sure, but you can't rule something as against the rules just because it was a fluke. No different to the Benji one about a decade ago when a mis-punt turned into a drop kick, went about about a foot forward and he regained it to run the field (after side stepping half the team, Boyd included).

Drop-kicks have to be ruled intentional though, given Slater point blank told the ref he fucked up right after he scored the try, i don't know how it's possible to come to that conclusion.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:06 am

surmo13 wrote:

Drop-kicks have to be ruled intentional though, given Slater point blank told the ref he fucked up right after he scored the try, i don't know how it's possible to come to that conclusion.

Do they? What page of the rule book says that? His intention was always to kick the ball, so he "dropped" the ball from his hand intentionally. From there, its not up to the ref to decide if he has to carry out a particular style of kick.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:35 am

The Marshall one in 2010 was completely different as he went for a kick and it glanced his calf on the way down (on the full). It wasn't a drop kick so they ruled it play on. because a kick is defined as:

KICK means making contact with the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.

A drop kick in the rules is defined as:

DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.

There is nothing about it having to be intentional or going for a FG. It wasn't a knock on because it wasn't dropped accidently. If it was then he would have had to kick it before it hit the ground because of rule 10.2

If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

So the ruling was correct. I too always thought a drop kick needed to be intentional, but the intention only needs to be to kick it.

It might be a stupid rule that went against us, but that was the rule none the less. Having said that, Klein is a useless ref. How was him not calling time off when we had a penalty 3 minutes before half time for about 45 seconds when Smith was slowing down the game by talking to him (which incidently he wasn't allowed to do after a penalty unless the ref asked to talk to him (which he didn't):

Captains may approach a Referee when clarifying a ruling in an orderly manner, when appropriate stoppages allow. Captains will only be able to speak to Referees during a stoppage in play (tries,
    injury break or when Referee is issuing a caution). Penalties and scrums are not considered stoppages of play. Captains will be given the opportunity to speak to the Referees as players leave the field for half-time.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 am

Mighty Fishes wrote:

I listened to Dubbo on the radio when he was discussing Bennett walking out the first time. He said he could have defused the whole situation by endorsing Green and Bellyame. Honestly that’s that a load of shit if my job was being questioned I wouldn’t be naming people that could replace me.

Dobbo is an idiot. Aside from your point, imagine how much NQ and Melbourne would complain if he said that Greene or Bellamy would be great successors. They'd be screaming to the hills that the Broncos are trying to make a play at their contracted coach.

Also, does anyone think that Bennett doesn't consider himself the best coach in the NRL (Not saying he is, just that Bennett thinks he is)? As if he's going to endorse anyone, especially someone working for another organisation when he still has almost 2 years on his contract and there are people saying Bennett should be sacked. It'd be like someone saying to Johnathan Thurston "JT I know you're contracted to the Cowboys this season and next season, but the Cowboys aren't going well this season, so do you agree that Ash Taylor or Kalyn Ponga would be good replacements for you?".
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:54 am

No Worries wrote:

No he's not advertising his product. There is not a single coach in the NRL who has advertised his product less than Bennett.

Bennett advertises his product by coaching teams that are regularly in the finals and top 4. Looking at crowd attendances of almost all teams when they have winning seasons compared to losing seasons you could argue he probably is responsible for promotion of his team more than any other coach in history. He just doesn't do it in the same way guys who were coaching losing teams like Ricky Stuart for NSW were who instead have to try and convince the public their team is a fair chance of winning.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 am

No Worries wrote:

I have noticed Tallis goes hard on him. What's his grudge ?

supposedly it kicked off when Bennett benched him in his final game and it's snowballed from there
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 am

ryno_ wrote:

It wasn't an intentional drop kick mate and given the ball almost fully rotated on the bounce by the time he got his boot to it, clearly indicates he dropped the ball and then managed to react in time to kick it (on the bounce).

Pretty clearly a ref blunder but as I said, that was just one instance in the game.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:55 am

Dip wrote:The Marshall one in 2010 was completely different as he went for a kick and it glanced his calf on the way down (on the full). It wasn't a drop kick so they ruled it play on. because a kick is defined as:

KICK means making contact with the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.

A drop kick in the rules is defined as:

DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.

There is nothing about it having to be intentional or going for a FG. It wasn't a knock on because it wasn't dropped accidently. If it was then he would have had to kick it before it hit the ground because of rule 10.2

If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

So the ruling was correct. I too always thought a drop kick needed to be intentional, but the intention only needs to be to kick it.

It might be a stupid rule that went against us, but  that was the rule none the less. Having said that, Klein is a useless ref. How was him not calling time off when we had a penalty 3 minutes before half time for about 45 seconds when Smith was slowing down the game by talking to him (which incidently he wasn't allowed to do after a penalty unless the ref asked to talk to him (which he didn't):

Captains may approach a Referee when clarifying a ruling in an orderly manner, when appropriate stoppages allow. Captains will only be able to speak to Referees during a stoppage in play (tries,
    injury break or when Referee is issuing a caution). Penalties and scrums are not considered stoppages of play. Captains will be given the opportunity to speak to the Referees as players leave the field for half-time.

I heard Bernard Sutton's explanation and while the commentators on the night got it wrong, it was still an incorrect ruling IMO.

The intent is that you kick it immediately, so you don't have instances where a bloke knocks it on but then kicks it; or instances like Slater's where he was going to kick it, knocks it on and then eventually kicks it.

When you look at the replays it was pretty clear it wasn't immediate, like when you are going for a field goal and you don't want a rough bounce so you kick it as it hits the ground.
    This one hit the ground, almost flipped one rotation and then he kicked it - pretty clear cut knock on.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I don't think this is the usual Bennett mind games to draw attention away mate....and if it is, it's not working as the team is copping more flack about underperforming than how we are actually travelling (not too bad IMO).

I just genuinely think he doesn't want to give them any more than he is obliged to.
    Don't really blame him given he focus on his private life.

It is/was. Chris Garry tweeted that Bennett walked away with a smile on his face. This manifested "controversy" suits him.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It wasn't an intentional drop kick mate and given the ball almost fully rotated on the bounce by the time he got his boot to it, clearly indicates he dropped the ball and then managed to react in time to kick it (on the bounce).

Pretty clearly a ref blunder but as I said, that was just one instance in the game.

If you have to go to super slo-mo to count the rotations of the ball, its as close to immediate as you can expect. A drop kick is intended to be a half-volley, its not meant to be kicked with the ball still touching the grass. In real time, its a drop kick. Ive seen dropkicks with worse technique then that one _somehow_ float over the cross bar with a full blooded leg swing.

He intended to kick it. He is within his rights to execute which ever kick he wants in general play. He kicked a drop kick, accidental or not. Play on.

I would agree the rule probably should be changed. However, as it stands, it's the correct call and shouldnt even be a controversial one. It's as clear cut as they come.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:30 am