NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Pieman
    Pieman

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 36 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Pieman Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am

MilfordTheMagician wrote:Brilliant performance all round. Honestly can't find a negative from the game even though we should have put 50 on them but to hold them to nil eliminates that factor.

I'm seriously excited by the young players we have in the squad. Find a halfback and keep most of these young guns and we can certainly make another GF in the next couple of years.

geez mate, they were playing an understrength titans side..

Brisbane did play well tho yep, their forwards certainly stood up - nikorima played well but hes not an organising halfback - he may yet become one but really needs to work on that aspect of his game.

Also - how didnt thiday get penalised for his off the ball WWE throw on hipgrave? From memory it was after a play the ball, you cant just go do that to someone and then "nah play on" lol. Hipgrave was niggling everyone but still.. surely someone needed to be penalised in that situation?

I throught there were so many ruck infringements/play the ball incidents blown that didnt need to be. Guys playing the ball quickly and end up fucking it because they played it on top of a defenders hand or something - I mean, who is in the wrong there?

The Taylor to proctor pass - thats a 50/50 but fuck me, with the forward passes they let go why would they pull that one up then not pull the milford one up not long after when staggs scores. They they call another forward when taylor passes it to Bolye - fark me. Show some consistency.

Taylor clearly should have been binned for his check on the bronco runner too when they were chasing the kick
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:53 am

Pieman wrote:

Brisbane did play well tho yep, their forwards certainly stood up - nikorima played well but hes not an organising halfback - he may yet become one but really needs to work on that aspect of his game.

Also - how didnt thiday get penalised for his off the ball WWE throw on hipgrave? From memory it was after a play the ball, you cant just go do that to someone and then "nah play on" lol. Hipgrave was niggling everyone but still.. surely someone needed to be penalised in that situation?

I throught there were so many ruck infringements/play the ball incidents blown that didnt need to be. Guys playing the ball quickly and end up fucking it because they played it on top of a defenders hand or something - I mean, who is in the wrong there?

The Taylor to proctor pass - thats a 50/50 but fuck me, with the forward passes they let go why would they pull that one up then not pull the milford one up not long after when staggs scores. They they call another forward when taylor passes it to Bolye - fark me. Show some consistency.

Taylor clearly should have been binned for his check on the bronco runner too when they were chasing the kick

Perenara cops a lot of flack but I don't mind him to be honest.

Being an ex-player I reckon he has a far better feel for the game than a lot of the other ref's.

Take the Thaiday/Hipgrave thing for example - if you penalise either one of them, the other team would be blowing up deluxe.
    A simple warning on the fly was all that was required, well handled.

At the end of the day, just be thankful that your closet team comfortably flogged the hapless Titans.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Perenara cops a lot of flack but I don't mind him to be honest.

Being an ex-player I reckon he has a far better feel for the game than a lot of the other ref's.

Take the Thaiday/Hipgrave thing for example - if you penalise either one of them, the other team would be blowing up deluxe.
    A simple warning on the fly was all that was required, well handled.

At the end of the day, just be thankful that your closet team comfortably flogged the hapless Titans.

Perenara is the worst ref going around and second place isn't close, always looks like he's in a constant struggle with himself just to remember the rules he is supposed to be enforcing.

anyway, pretty happy with that, as a team who have spent the year playing down to shit teams, i'm thrilled to see us finally take a game by the throat, if we build off that, there's no reason we can't give this comp a real shake, no team has looked near-on unbeatable this year the way the Storm did last year.

loving these super-talented young guys we've been unearthing, our premiership window has been closing over the last couple years but these kids are pushing it open again... but it does concern me they're all being put into the public eye at the same time, the rest of the league has already shown in the past few years that it's willing to offer way-overs to poach those kind of players away from us, if they're all worth 500k to some-one, we can't spend the whole cap on 19 players.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 pm

as an aside, and speaking of young talents taken from us, i haven't gotten to see many Titans games, but watching Ash Taylor yesterday was concerning, more-over the awful game he had, he just had this really shitty, petulant attitude about him, i don't know whether it's a culture thing at the Titans, or something that been bubbling under the surface, but fuck me, Bennett would've stamped those tantrums right the fuck out the moment he saw it starting to happen, the same way he told Pangai to pull his head in when he was showing flashes of poor attitude earlier in the year, that kid's being ruined over there.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Pieman wrote:

We were missing 4 Origin players, Gillett and Bird (not that he's really a loss), so 6 players...

It wasn't really about the opposition yesterday, it was about how we played. We played 80 minutes, which is a rarity this season. We've been inconsistent all season so what pleased me the most was the 80 minute performance. Everyone played well.

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

I should have known after talking us up after the Titans win we'd revert back to our inconsistent ways and put in a rubbish performance.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks 'magician.

if you could keep your wand holstered next time, eh??? Smile
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 am

surmo13 wrote:as an aside, and speaking of young talents taken from us, i haven't gotten to see many Titans games, but watching Ash Taylor yesterday was concerning, more-over the awful game he had, he just had this really shitty, petulant attitude about him, i don't know whether it's a culture thing at the Titans, or something that been bubbling under the surface, but fuck me, Bennett would've stamped those tantrums right the fuck out the moment he saw it starting to happen, the same way he told Pangai to pull his head in when he was showing flashes of poor attitude earlier in the year, that kid's being ruined over there.

I dont know how much you have seen taylor play at all, but he has had those sort of tanrtums his whole career, even in the Jrs.
    The bloke needs an AA from John Cena if he ever wants to be the "next thurston" or what ever the brass are calling that he will be.

also, korbin sims to the dragons on a 3 year deal. Far out.. why?
    I guess if he is not expected to be the leader of a forward pack he might go ok but the bloke is just not very good.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:37 pm

$3 million over four years for Haas? He’s looked good but bloody hell...
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Krump wrote:$3 million over four years for Haas? He’s looked good but bloody hell...

Only $17.50 of that will be on the cap, the rest will be third parties surely.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Ice wrote:

Only $17.50 of that will be on the cap, the rest will be third parties surely.
    Come on mate they aren’t the Eels.

Just kidding, gave you a thumbs up.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

It's 3.4mil over 6 years. Still a big contract though

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm

I feel with that sort of money we could have resigned a few. Not just one
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

surmo13 wrote:as an aside, and speaking of young talents taken from us.
    lol

maybe if they didnt buy milford, bird, roberts, TPJ etc - they would be able to keep more of their young talent.
    You cant have it both ways lol.

Every club loses young talent, every club buys young talent. Its the way the game works.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Come back and speak to me when every single one of your young talents that crack first grade are getting 500k+ carrots dangled in their faces from other clubs, though that said, that might be a while, we’ve learnt that a team full of Newcastle’s crop of young talents is so bad that they have to buy every single off-contract player over a two-year span just to scrape into the top half of the bottom 8

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:32 pm

As for Haas, i’ll reserve my thoughts on the cost until there’s an actual figure, considering we supposedly signed Bird for as much as 1.2 mill per season while the ink was still drying and then months down the track when they were done with the ‘dastardly broncos buy a good player’ storyline, everyone settled on it being more around the 850k mark

In other news, Boyd’s getting moved to centre this week and maybe moving forward with Isaako at fullback and Kahu on the wing, really hope it works out, from what I’ve seen this year, I think that might be the best place for all three of them, for as amazing as Isaako is with ball in hand, his defensive decision-making on the wing leaves a lot to be desired, hope he grabs the opportunity at his preferred position with both hands.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 pm

surmo13 wrote:Come back and speak to me when every single one of your young talents that crack first grade are getting 500k+ carrots dangled in their faces from other clubs, though that said, that might be a while, we’ve learnt that a team full of Newcastle’s crop of young talents is so bad that they have to buy every single off-contract player over a two-year span just to scrape into the top half of the bottom 8

do you really want me to list the top shelf newcastle juniors playing first grade at the moment? lol. Not to mention the bulldogs buying Cogger and Meaney for next year and so on and so forth. Its the way the game is, struggling teams pay overs to attract players - which sometimes forces the sides that are supposed to be super teams, to do the same to either 1. buy other clubs young guns or 2. keep their own young guns.

Did the broncos not do that to bring both Milford and Bird to the broncos?
    Fuck me, you cant have it both ways.

Boyd should be playing 6 or 7, with milf at 6 or 7. Not centre.
    He no longer has it in him to play consistent elite level fullback - but can still organise play and distribute the ball out the back well.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 pm

surmo13 wrote:
    In other news, Boyd’s getting moved to centre this week and maybe moving forward with Isaako at fullback and Kahu on the wing, really hope it works out, from what I’ve seen this year, I think that might be the best place for all three of them, for as amazing as Isaako is with ball in hand, his defensive decision-making on the wing leaves a lot to be desired, hope he grabs the opportunity at his preferred position with both hands.

Surely you're kidding ? Boyd doesn't have the legs or speed for centre, he's busted. I'd like to see Isaako at fullback, Kahu on the wing doesn't concern me. But Boyd's best position is Left Right Out.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Pieman wrote:

do you really want me to list the top shelf newcastle juniors playing first grade at the moment? lol. Not to mention the bulldogs buying Cogger and Meaney for next year and so on and so forth. Its the way the game is, struggling teams pay overs to attract players - which sometimes forces the sides that are supposed to be super teams, to do the same to either 1. buy other clubs young guns or 2. keep their own young guns.

Did the broncos not do that to bring both Milford and Bird to the broncos?
    Fuck me, you cant have it both ways.

Boyd should be playing 6 or 7, with milf at 6 or 7. Not centre.
    He no longer has it in him to play consistent elite level fullback - but can still organise play and distribute the ball out the back well.

way to miss my point you mental midget, please direct me to where i said clubs shouldn't be able to buy our players? i'm aware i can't have it both ways, better than a lot of people, apparently there's some sort of difference between the Broncos 'poaching' Milford and the Knights 'recruiting' Ponga...

My point was that due to our clubs reputation and visibility, it's a constant fight to retain any young kid that shows himself to be anything over 'first-grade standard' because clubs are looking at us like a friday night shopping catalogue... to keep using the Knights for examples, after Fitzgibbon put himself on the map last year in a contract year, there weren't national news articles going 'club x is chasing hard with a 600k contract ready and waiting for him'...

You'd think re-signing the kids would put an end to it, except it fucking doesn't, Haas didn't come off contract until the end of next season, and yet the papers were consistently catching wind of multiple clubs preparing 700k per year deals to ambush us at 12:01am on November 1st.. no other clubs young talent are over-valued by other clubs anywhere near the extent that ours are.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:05 am

surmo13 wrote:

My point was that due to our clubs reputation and visibility, it's a constant fight to retain any young kid that shows himself to be anything over 'first-grade standard' because clubs are looking at us like a friday night shopping catalogue... to keep using the Knights for examples, after Fitzgibbon put himself on the map last year in a contract year, there weren't national news articles going 'club x is chasing hard with a 600k contract ready and waiting for him'...

This is such a totally ridiculous argument. Do you really think that the other 15 teams watch more Broncos games than other teams just so that they can get your young talent?
    2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 36 ManWearingTinFoilHat

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 am