NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Share

    Poll

    Do we need a Kangaroos Origin merit team ?

    [ 1 ]
    17% [17%] 
    [ 3 ]
    50% [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    33% [33%] 

    Total Votes: 6
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3317
    Reputation : 921
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by No Worries on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 pm

    Before we get into the who was selected, what are people's thoughts on this concept. Personally I find it unnecessary, hollow and potentially problematic. It's like being selected in the All Australian AFL team. You don't get a jersey or a cap, but you made a list, congratulations.


    Australian selectors have confirmed a special Kangaroos Origin Merit Team based on performances through the State of Origin series.

    The selectors have named the inaugural Kangaroos Merit Team, which includes nine players from the series victors Queensland and eight from NSW.

    The team is based on performances by all 43 players who took part in the 2017 Holden State of Origin series.

    “This is a special squad – the inaugural Kangaroos Origin Merit Team – and clearly it is a very talented squad as well,” said Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga.

    Meninga said he hoped the naming of a Kangaroos Origin Merit Team following the interstate series would become a tradition.

    “This has never been done before but I think it is an important step for the national team to make, based on the pathway from state through to international level.

    “Overall it will be an acknowledgement of both personal and team performances as well as individual behaviours.”

    Meninga said that ultimately form in the State of Origin series would be one of a number of criteria the selectors will take into account before settling on a 24-man World Cup squad – albeit an important one.

    “The selectors will be looking at past recent performances for the Kangaroos, overall form, Club success, form specifically in the Finals Series, form in the State of Origin series as well as the values and behaviour that we expect of Kangaroos players,” Meninga said.

    “If a squad was selected for the World Cup today it might contain other players based on our overall selection policy. But this is an important recognition of the Origin players and their form through the series.

    “Ultimately, Origin is only one of the stepping stones for players to make ahead of Kangaroos selection, although it is clearly an important one.”

    The selectors decided on criteria whereby, to be eligible for selection in the squad, a player must have played two out of the three matches in the series. Players could be selected out of the positions they played in during the series.

    “Put simply, the charter was to select the best team based on the State of Origin series and we believe we have done that,” Meninga said.


    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team

    Fullback: Billy Slater (Queensland, Melbourne Storm)
    Wing: Dane Gagai (Queensland, Newcastle Knights)
    Centre: Will Chambers (Queensland, Melbourne Storm)
    Centre: Josh Dugan (NSW, St George Illawarra Dragons)
    Wing: James Tedesco (NSW, Wests Tigers)
    Five-eighth: James Maloney (NSW, Cronulla Sharks)
    Halfback: Cooper Cronk (Queensland, Melbourne Storm)
    Prop: David Klemmer (NSW, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
    Hooker: Cameron Smith (Queensland, Melbourne Storm)
    Prop: Dylan Napa (Queensland, Sydney Roosters)
    Second row: Matt Gillett (Queensland, Brisbane Broncos)
    Second row: Boyd Cordner (NSW, Sydney Roosters)
    Lock: Josh McGuire (Queensland, Brisbane Broncos)

    Interchange: Michael Morgan (Queensland, North Queensland Cowboys)
    Interchange: Tyson Frizell (NSW, St George Illawarra Dragons)
    Interchange: Jake Trbojevic (NSW, Manly Sea Eagles)
    Interchange: Josh Jackson (NSW, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)

    Dip

    Posts : 1202
    Reputation : 164
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Dip on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:54 pm

    I like the concept, though there's going to be complaints when someone from that team isn't picked in the World Cup squad or team later this year behind someone who missed out. Eg Gagai missing out to Fergo.
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

    Ridiculous idea and a complete waste of time. Tedesco at wing? Please... Sure, he was the best of the blues in my opinion but if he doesn't play FB then don't play him, we have other guys who are more adept finishers in that position.

    More importantly than this though is the fact that NO importance is paid whatsoever to international football. Sure, I do not doubt that the players that get selected are proud to pull on a jersey and whatnot but until there is a point where playing for Australia or your country is once again placed higher than playing for your state, I don't see the need for this list at all. As it currently stands I would wager that someone like Felise Kaufusi would be happier that he was named in the QLD emerging origin squad or at 18th man than anyone on this list would be that won't play in the team (see Teddy at wing). Just something for Big Mal to do during the year to justify a pay cheque I guess.
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm

    Dip wrote:I like the concept, though there's going to be complaints when someone from that team isn't picked in the World Cup squad or team later this year behind someone who missed out. Eg Gagai missing out to Fergo.

    Do you legit think this will happen though Dip? Knowing Meninga's "no dickhead policy" and the washup from origin? I doubt that Ferguson makes the squad TBH.

    Dip

    Posts : 1202
    Reputation : 164
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Dip on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm

    Mearcats wrote:

    Do you legit think this will happen though Dip? Knowing Meninga's "no dickhead policy" and the washup from origin? I doubt that Ferguson makes the squad TBH.

    That was just an example based on the mid year test where Fergo was selected. If they did the same last year Gagai would have been named then too.

    This year Gagai has to be named, but I'm sure someone in that merit squad will miss out to someone not named (which I'm okay with, but no doubt some people will have an issue with it).
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm

    Dip wrote:

    That was just an example based on the mid year test where Fergo was selected. If they did the same last year Gagai would have been named then too.

    This year Gagai has to be named, but I'm sure someone in that merit squad will miss out to someone not named (which I'm okay with, but no doubt some people will have an issue with it).

    Ah yep, gotcha. Agree. can't see Tedesco getting picked at wing, doubt Dugan will get picked as well for that matter. 

    The fact is, when picking a state side you are limited to the best players for your state and that means that some players miss out, if that's the case then even harder when picking a national side. You could honestly have one of Boyd, Slater, Tedesco at FB and one or more of those guys is going to miss out. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1069
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

    Brilliant idea and a step towards Meninga reinstating the culture (and importance) of the Kangaroos, relative to the beast that is SOO.

    Big Mal may not be the best tactical coach in the game but the bloke was a Kangaroos legend (along with being a QLD legend) and he knows how to best utilise his aura to build a team culture.

    Dip

    Posts : 1202
    Reputation : 164
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Dip on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 pm

    Plus I think if it's just recognition, I can't see the problem with it.

    If for example, Nathan Peats had a whale of a series and got named in the merit team ahead of Smith, then I'm happy for him to have some formal recognition of that, and something that down the track he can look back on as a nice acknowledgment of his career, in the same way Dally M positional players are recognised. No way I want him selected for Australia at hooker though, because of what Smith has done in the past and in the NRL. I think even Nathan Peats and his mum would agree with that.

    "Did you ever play for Australia Grandad?"
    "No mate. I was never the level of the immortal Cam Smith, but I did play for NSW a few times, and once played well enough in that series to be named in the Kangaroo Origin Merit Squad."
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 pm

    Dip wrote:Plus I think if it's just recognition, I can't see the problem with it.

    If for example, Nathan Peats had a whale of a series and got named in the merit team ahead of Smith, then I'm happy for him to have some formal recognition of that, and something that down the track he can look back on as a nice acknowledgment of his career, in the same way Dally M positional players are recognised. No way I want him selected for Australia at hooker though, because of what Smith has done in the past and in the NRL. I think even Nathan Peats and his mum would agree with that.

    "Did you ever play for Australia Grandad?"
    "No mate. I was never the level of the immortal Cam Smith, but I did play for NSW a few times, and once played well enough in that series to be named in the Kangaroo Origin Merit Squad."

    Still a bit hollow though isn't it? Next thing we'll be America and handing out awards and putting peoples names on lists for participating. I don't mind the idea that it's a way to instill pride and culture into the Aus side (not saying that I agree it'll do that but if it does, kudos) but outside of that I don't think it's much to write home about. 

    Maybe I feel that way as a result of the lack of importance placed on international football at the moment... Maybe I just feel it's trivial recognition based off a three game performance. Let's say Billy Slater doesn't get picked for SOO but plays outta his skin all year and gets selected for Aus. His name won't be on the list because he didn't play three games of a different series and instead played 24 to a higher level. I don't know, can't put my finger on it. Not saying that it's a bad thing, just that it seems a bit pointless.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2064
    Reputation : 171
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Pieman on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm

    I like the idea of naming a team of the series, but name them in their positions and dont call it the kangaroo's merit team. This team wont be the aussie team so dont call it the aussie merit team.

    Call it the State of Origin Team of the Series.

    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2064
    Reputation : 171
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Pieman on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm

    I mean, the Dally Ms are a joke for the most part. How can you give awards to players as eg the best player in that position or even in the game and then not pick them in the australian side.
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 468
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by dasherhalo on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm

    Pieman wrote:

    Call it the State of Origin Team of the Series.


    This.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1069
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 pm

    dasherhalo wrote:

    This.

    It would obviously be more accurate...but it would do exactly the opposite of what (I believe) Mal is trying to achieve.

    The idea I think, is to reinstate the importance of the international game and the Kangaroos jersey....not to amplify the importance of Origin any more than it currently is.

    I have been harping on for years about getting Mal involved with the Kangaroos and these sort of initiatives are exactly the sort of thing I hoped the big fella would implement.

    Scheduling remains the biggest hurdle for the international game but Mal appears to be taking matters into his own hands and hopefully with that additional focus, the scheduling gets a step closer to being sorted.

    Dip

    Posts : 1202
    Reputation : 164
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Dip on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

    And perhaps easing the controversy if Fifita isn't selected at the end of the year.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2064
    Reputation : 171
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm

    Maybe if the Aus team was picked on form each year (i.e. player of the year in a certain position etc) and not on name, players who get picked would take more pride in the jersey. Would be pretty disheartening for someone like e.g. James Roberts - who won centre of the year and was easily the best centre in the competition a couple of years ago - knowing he would never get a start in the aus team because its pretty much only selected on name and not form
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3317
    Reputation : 921
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by No Worries on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 pm

    Pieman wrote:Maybe if the Aus team was picked on form each year (i.e. player of the year in a certain position etc) and not on name, players who get picked would take more pride in the jersey. Would be pretty disheartening for someone like e.g. James Roberts - who won centre of the year and was easily the best centre in the competition a couple of years ago - knowing he would never get a start in the aus team because its pretty much only selected on name and not form

    Bad example with all the "alleged" off field dramas. But the point remains the same.
    avatar
    code delta

    Posts : 1037
    Reputation : 328
    Join date : 2016-05-05

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by code delta on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 pm

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:


    The idea I think, is to reinstate the importance of the international game and the Kangaroos jersey....not to amplify the importance of Origin any more than it currently is.

    But you can't be in this quasi-side if you didn't play origin. So it actually amplifies origin??
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2064
    Reputation : 171
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Pieman on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 pm

    code delta wrote:
    But you can't be in this quasi-side if you didn't play origin. So it actually amplifies origin??
    exactly

    There is no problem with it if they just change the name to the SOO Team of the Series.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1069
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 am

    code delta wrote:
    But you can't be in this quasi-side if you didn't play origin. So it actually amplifies origin??

    I don't think it amplifies it.

    I think it is just an attempt to piggyback on the success of Origin and swoop in at the conclusion to reiterate that the Kangaroos jersey is actually the pinnacle....not SOO selection.

    Why else would this idea have come about?
    Mal no longer has a vested interest in ensuring Origin grows any larger than it already is.

    Each to their own but I like the concept provided it is to promote the international game as it does now, rather than Origin.
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 468
    Reputation : 103
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

    Post by dasherhalo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 am

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    I don't think it amplifies it.

    I think it is just an attempt to piggyback on the success of Origin and swoop in at the conclusion to reiterate that the Kangaroos jersey is actually the pinnacle....not SOO selection.

    Why else would this idea have come about?
    Mal no longer has a vested interest in ensuring Origin grows any larger than it already is.

    Each to their own but I like the concept provided it is to promote the international game as it does now, rather than Origin.

    Right sentiment, wrong implementation.
    I'm all for getting pride back into the national jersey, but you won't do that with parlour tricks. Trying to shoehorn the national agenda onto Origin simply doesn't work. These were the best players of Origin. Won't have anything to do with the National side.

    Mal's at the top of the tree now. He' got the gravitas to build the Aussie team's profile into the 800lb Silverback Gorilla it should be. Chipping away with quasi-relevant gold star-giving doesn't work for me

      Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 am