NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 58

Moose
    Moose

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 58 - Page 41 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 58

Post by Moose Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 pm

filthridden wrote:

Here's a different option:

Hold the trade until you find out whether Scott is playing or not.

If he's playing, hold him.
    If he's not, trade him someone playing with/against/after him:

Lafai
    Aitken
    DWalker
    Maubusson
    Cotric
    Croker

Pick with luck (and forethought) and you could get someone that averages as high/higher than Gagai for a lot cheaper and not be worried about missing out on Scott's points/saving a trade this round if he plays.
    Time to break out the 6 sided die.

Also why is there no dice emoticon?
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 58 - Page 41 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy Thread Part 58

Post by wolfking Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

If Aitken stopped getting injured this year, he would be a brilliant keeper centre, guy is a gun when fully fit.
    Chucky
    Chucky

Post by Chucky Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm

wolfking wrote:If Aitken stopped getting injured this year, he would be a brilliant keeper centre, guy is a gun when fully fit.
    Add him to the list.
    I think I've got about 17-18 players like that.
    Klemhammer
    Klemhammer

Post by Klemhammer Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Wallace to Fifita
    Or
    Cotric to Pearce
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Klemhammer wrote:Wallace to Fifita
    Or
    Cotric to Pearce

Pearce definitely IMO
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Or
    Cotric to Pearce

Both if possible but 2nd one first.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Anyone concerned that Smith might have reduced minutes in the last few rounds? Particularly if the Storm win all/most of their relatively tough next 4 (Raiders, Manly, Cowboys, Roosters), given their last 3 matches are against the Knights, Rabbits and Raiders again?

I don't think he's likely to be rested completely, but surely if they're winning easily he won't play 80 those weeks?
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Moose wrote:POD Gagai or stick with Scott and pray he gets a call up? Bellamy could be playing games again scratch

Gagai could be a great POD for the run home and is always going to be a hard worker in a Knights team that is struggling, BUT, there's a very real chance that he suffers due to the team performance is Newie start to roll over now that their season is done. Not saying they'll give up by any means but it's hard for an outside back to score well when three of four players stop giving 100%.

It's very likely that Scott plays. I think it was WL yesterday that mentioned that if you look at ISC lists, YT has been named for East Tigers and Scott has not been named for the Sunny Coast Falcons. Couple that with the fact that it's happened multiple times already this season and I would not be surprised to see Scott bought into the side at the expense of YT. Exactly what they did against Brisbane in Rd 17.
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:Anyone concerned that Smith might have reduced minutes in the last few rounds? Particularly if the Storm win all/most of their relatively tough next 4 (Raiders, Manly, Cowboys, Roosters), given their last 3 matches are against the Knights, Rabbits and Raiders again?

I don't think he's likely to be rested completely, but surely if they're winning easily he won't play 80 those weeks?

I see what you're saying but Smith isn't usually the type who likes to be rested. they may play a bench utility (Slade Griffin as Brandon Smith is injured) with the intention of giving Smith a rest during games but even then Bellamy will struggle to get him off the park. IF anything I'd say he might miss 40-50 minutes over those last few games in total (IF the Storm are well n truly up, not happening if it's a close game). Nothing too concerning for me.
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Or
    Cotric to Pearce

Another vote for Pearce as the first action.
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:Anyone concerned that Smith might have reduced minutes in the last few rounds? Particularly if the Storm win all/most of their relatively tough next 4 (Raiders, Manly, Cowboys, Roosters), given their last 3 matches are against the Knights, Rabbits and Raiders again?

He hasn't had reduced minutes in the final games in previous years, I don't see why it would be different this year
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah, I thought that considering they should be quite a few games ahead leading into the last few rounds, but it's not enough to make not not get him back in this week. I think if little Smith was fit that might have been cause for more concern but I'm all in this week.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Chewie wrote:

He hasn't had reduced minutes in the final games in previous years, I don't see why it would be different this year

He's 34 and has had injuries this season?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 pm

White Lightning wrote:The reason why these Warriors's Island players fail at nrl level is as follows. Polynesian boys mature physically very early so when they are 13-15 they have the size of a player that is like a 20 year old man. So in youth league it is easy so they just run through players & dominate physically. I was watching this Point Chev team train one night. They were all Polynesian players & they were mostly about 6 foot 15-17 stone. I asked a person is that the top side & he replied no that's the under 16 open team who hadn't lost a game all season & half of them were rep players. So when these players come up through the grades they don't learn how to get into the arm wrestle & guts out a win because they're not challenged physically. So when they get to nrl level they haven't got the ingrained stamina/fitness to fight so they give up because they are mentally soft. The ones that do succeed are the ones that move to an Australian system where they have to perform because there are 10 players who they are competing with for 1 spot & this ingrains the stamina & the 80 minute effort. A good example of this is Taukeiaho & would he be the player he is today if he hadn't of taken a chance & signed for the Roosters from the Warriors.

I understand where you are trying to go with this but I don't like the generalisation to be honest. There are a ton of flaws to the logic too IMO. One illustration is that by in large Polynesians are in the same boat in NZ playing Union too, yet the above issues you raise don't really translate.

What all that says to me is there are systematic issues at the Warriors that have nothing to do with race.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Mearcats wrote:

There is a fair bit of talk along these lines @pm888 but as covered around here already, with the Warriors season basically dead and buried barring a mathematical miracle, we doubt that he'll come back early without any reason to. The only plausible reason would be to get a bit of match fitness under his belt prior to the WC.

As for your match up question, I'd probably go with the Manners DCE combo. Fifi can be a game changer but can also fluctuate a bit. Manners is more consistent albeit without the ceiling (and he's in a rich vein of form at the moment). Mannering and Cleary would definitely be the ideal combo tho. No cash elsewhere to allow you to make this move and still do the other stuff you need?

You guys may be right, but Kearney sounded hopeful he would be back before the end of the season and earlier than the time frame initially given - i.e. about round 24.

Wait and see I guess!
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Mearcats wrote:

I see what you're saying but Smith isn't usually the type who likes to be rested. they may play a bench utility (Slade Griffin as Brandon Smith is injured) with the intention of giving Smith a rest during games but even then Bellamy will struggle to get him off the park. IF anything I'd say he might miss 40-50 minutes over those last few games in total (IF the Storm are well n truly up, not happening if it's a close game). Nothing too concerning for me.

That's what I was told earlier this year when I was throwing round the idea he would get rested during Origin. It does seem like things may have changed a bit from previous seasons doesn't it?
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I understand where you are trying to go with this but I don't like the generalisation to be honest. There are a ton of flaws to the logic too IMO. One illustration is that by in large Polynesians are in the same boat in NZ playing Union too, yet the above issues you raise don't really translate.

What all that says to me is there are systematic issues at the Warriors that have nothing to do with race.

Gotta agree with R&T.
    Saying they don't have the stamina/mental toughness at NRL level because they get bigger earlier in their lives? Mate, I played lower level league in West Auckland and everyone except our lily white ass punk team were twice our size. These guys are competing against guys their own size (except when they played skinny white-boy teams like ours Laughing ) so I don't see that as a valid reason. Even if this was the case, they'd be found out at trials for youth rep teams or the NYC team if they got that far. The Warriors NYC team was great for a number of years even though they (most times) had little size advantage over other NYC teams - ironically it was the smaller players for the Warriors who starred for them - Lolohea, Johnson, Locke, Taylor, Henry, Tuimavave, Kata, Slaimankhel and often not due to the forwards dominating, more individual plays.

Players like SST are better for leaving the Warriors, that is true... but he would've had a hell of a hard road to get to the Warriors first grade team before making that switch, it certainly wouldn't have been all "I'm bigger therefore better".
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

That's what I was told earlier this year when I was throwing round the idea he would get rested during Origin. It does seem like things may have changed a bit from previous seasons doesn't it?

Not really... I don't see being rested during a punishing origin series where he picked up an injury (cracked a sternum mid way into the first half of game one) as being equivalent to being rested towards the end of the year. That's not saying that it wont happen by any means and if Slade Griffins name starts popping up in the team lists then there could be cause for concern. As I said, if the Storm are coasting in games towards the back end of the season and Griffin is on the bench then Smith may get rested, 10-20 mins a game for the final three games would be all I expect though.

He definitely is getting older and he cannot keep this up forever, that much is for sure (we say this every year I know but it's actually scientifically impossible to keep doing it right???) and it has been a pretty grueling period for him but I can't see him being rested for full games.

Time will tell indeed.
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

You guys may be right, but Kearney sounded hopeful he would be back before the end of the season and earlier than the time frame initially given - i.e. about round 24.

Wait and see I guess!

I've been following the same news mate and still have him in my side (had to hold this week due to more pressing issues) but honestly, what would be the logic? If he was 100% fit in three to four weeks and can play the last two games without concern giving him so match fitness ahead of the world cup then sure, ok, but if he's not, what and where is the sense in that move?

To me it seems more of a ploy by Kearney to give some hope to the playing group, fans etc... I just can't see it.
    Go Refs
    Go Refs

Post by Go Refs Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 pm

NZ News tonight suggested the SJ maybe back before the end of the season. In was on TV walking freely without any support on his knee. ????

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:55 pm