NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin 2017 Series

Honeysett
    Honeysett

State of Origin 2017 Series - Page 24 Empty Re: State of Origin 2017 Series

Post by Honeysett Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Dip wrote:

Yeah that's a pretty good description. Back in the day there were plenty of ball playing backrowers which is why I describe it as such, but that seems to have dropped off a fair bit the last decade or so. The role you speak of is probably pretty similar to what Bryce Cartwright does at Penrith, though a lot of what he does is after contact is initiated, whereas what Hunt will do will be at or before the line, or with footwork. There aren't really any other locks or second rowers that I can think of who are predominantly ball players in the NRL anymore. Moreso the hookers who go back to that role when the running hooker comes on like I mentioned before.

The other difference between what Hunt and Cartwright will do is defence. Cartwright doesn't do defence and believes defence is what is around deground. Hard to believe that this time last year he was considered by many to be unlucky to miss out on origin, particularly in the dead rubber. He'd be maybe 15th in line right now. Sure he's been injury affected, but it just goes to show that with a bit of time to analyse video, plenty of attacking players get worked out by defensive coaches at NRL level. Makes you appreciate just how good the little guys who play 200+ games in the NRL really are.

Wade Graham?
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Moose wrote:
    No it won't lol!

Name a bigger one!

a team (not individuals) that have won 10 of 11 series, with the best 1,7 and 9 in the world, plus possibly the team mate of those 3 in the 6,(but if not an Aus rep and the form 6 in the comp who is a seasoned Origin performer, with plenty of other Aus experience in the side and a couple of debutants getting beaten by a side they have owned for over a decade that consists of a perennial failure steering the ship, a down on form injured FB, and a rookie 9 and multiple players including their skipper carrying injuries into the game with the game IN Qld......please, just cause we jagged a decent win in game one because Qld totally bungled their selection, doesn't mean Qld shouldn't be red hot Favourites. It will be massive if NSW win. Mega upset.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Wade Graham?

Yep he's another. Feleti Mateo springs to mind in recent years with Joseph Paulo as well. Maybe a few more I've missed.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Ice wrote:

Name a bigger one!

a team (not individuals) that have won 10 of 11 series, with the best 1,7 and 9 in the world, plus possibly the team mate of those 3 in the 6,(but if not an Aus rep and the form 6 in the comp who is a seasoned Origin performer, with plenty of other Aus experience in the side and a couple of debutants getting beaten by a side they have owned for over a decade that consists of a perennial failure steering the ship, a down on form injured FB, and a rookie 9 and multiple players including their skipper carrying injuries into the game with the game IN Qld......please, just cause we jagged a decent win in game one because Qld totally bungled their selection, doesn't mean Qld shouldn't be red hot Favourites. It will be massive if NSW win. Mega upset.

The Australian Fullback is missing game 3. The best halfback (and best player in the game) is missing 2 games. Australia's best prop of the last 10 years, and an all-time great outside back have missed the whole series. If we win it will be with two guys who have played QLD Cup during the state of origin period, and thats not mentioning guys like Guerra or Glasby. If QLD win it'll be the biggest achievement since we won with guys like Mogg, Wesser, Schifcofske, Flannery etc. NSW will be in the foetal position crying if they don't win.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Ice wrote:

Name a bigger one!

I agree.

The smash and grab job fooled a few people - Game 2 was more of a indication of where NSW still are. Good enough to be competitive but not good enough when it's clutch time.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Ice wrote:Will be the biggest upset in sport since 2014 if NSW win.

Moose wrote:No it won't lol!

Ice wrote:Name a bigger one!

Sure.

Aside from the fact that QLD are missing several of their key players such as Thurston, Inglis, Boyd and Scott if NSW win this coming week it will not be the biggest upset in sport since 2014 like you suggest. Several upsets that far outrank this include...

Joseph Schooling defeating Michael Phelps in the Olympic 100m butterfly final

Angelique Kerber defeating Serena Williams in the Australian Open final

Danny Willett winning the US Masters (Odds were $151 before the first tee)

Leicester City winning the 2015-16 EPL Championship

Western Bulldogs winning the AFL Grand Final

Cronulla Sharks winning the NRL Grand Final
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Moose wrote:

Sure.

Aside from the fact that QLD are missing several of their key players such as Thurston, Inglis, Boyd and Scott if NSW win this coming week it will not be the biggest upset in sport since 2014 like you suggest. Several upsets that far outrank this include...

Joseph Schooling defeating Michael Phelps in the Olympic 100m butterfly final

Angelique Kerber defeating Serena Williams in the Australian Open final

Danny Willett winning the US Masters (Odds were $151 before the first tee)

Leicester City winning the 2015-16 EPL Championship

Western Bulldogs winning the AFL Grand Final

Cronulla Sharks winning the NRL Grand Final

Leicester City had an amazing year - can't beat that.

Bulldogs, fuck you why'd you bring that up.

The rest aren't worth mentioning as he also said a team sport.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Well he originally said biggest upset in sport (which I disagreed with) then narrowed it down to team sports, hence why I listed 3 examples of both team and individual sports. The point still stands. It will not be the biggest upset in sport (individual or otherwise) since 2014 if NSW do in fact beat QLD this coming week.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Wade Graham?

There certainly arent many. The diff tho is graham largely sticks to the left edge, where someone like carty goes both sides of the ruck and infuriatingly runs across field etc.

In the late 90 through the early 2000s, blokes like scott hill and fittler were 6's who played lock. Bigger guys with silky skills.
    From the late 2000s until about 2012 or so, locks were just workhorse tacklers like Dallas johnson / Alan tongue / peden / and so on.

Nowdays, locks are a third front rower, who generally ball play a bit before the line too.

The ball skills of forwards these days are just so much better than what it was in the past. Most forwards have the ability to ball play a bit, especially graham and co at the dogs. Its a pretty stock standard part of the forwards games these days. In the past, generally, it was catch and run.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 pm

FUCK I cant stand Elias on 360.

Elias, Rothfield, the other journo from the tele with the dark hair, the bald journo who had the skin cancer cut off his head.

All fucking painful to listen to on the show.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Moose wrote:

Well he originally said biggest upset in sport (which I disagreed with) then narrowed it down to team sports, hence why I listed 3 examples of both team and individual sports. The point still stands. It will not be the biggest upset in sport (individual or otherwise) since 2014 if NSW do in fact beat QLD this coming week.

It will be a huge upset. I don't think biggest ever - but certainly an upset.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Not a chance that NSW beating QLD will be an upset of Leicester City proportions. No chance
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Look, the NSW side is as good as it ever has been (on paper). QLD is old, and we've lost our aura.

I don't care how much of a stirring comeback we made in game 2, I don't care how good our side has been over the last decade plus: once NSW get over the yips, they'll take this game by 13 plus.

If they don't, f*ck me, we'll be laughing up this way. "Silver platter" comes to mind".

lol

Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Dip wrote:

The Australian Fullback is missing game 3. The best halfback (and best player in the game) is missing 2 games. Australia's best prop of the last 10 years, and an all-time great outside back have missed the whole series. If we win it will be with two guys who have played QLD Cup during the state of origin period, and thats not mentioning guys like Guerra or Glasby. If QLD win it'll be the biggest achievement since we won with guys like Mogg, Wesser, Schifcofske, Flannery etc. NSW will be in the foetal position crying if they don't win.

Bhahaha, Slater is a massive step up from Darius, tell yourself whatever you want there. Scott WAS a great prop, but please suggesting one prop is a significant out when he clearly isn't at his best anymore is like me suggesting Tamou is a big out, as is the Aus lock not being there. Inglis is a centre, big deal, replaced with the Aus centre. Everyone knows it's all about the spine, there can be no dispute there, it gets proven every year. Massive win for this understrength, inexperienced blues if they pull of a miracle away from home.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Honeysett wrote:

It will be a huge upset. I don't think biggest ever - but certainly an upset.

Sure will be. I agree with you there. I just disagree with it potentially being labelled the biggest upset in sport since 2014.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 pm

dasherhalo wrote:Look, the NSW side is as good as it ever has been (on paper). QLD is old, and we've lost our aura.

I don't care how much of a stirring comeback we made in game 2, I don't care how good our side has been over the last decade plus: once NSW get over the yips, they'll take this game by 13 plus.

If they don't, f*ck me, we'll be laughing up this way. "Silver platter" comes to mind".

lol

NSW as good as it ever has been on paper??? Bhahahaha, that will do me.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Forget the individuals you mention, none of them are valid, but even in the team ones. Leicester, finished the prior year well if I remember and played well throughout the year. Unexpected? Yes, but they didn't UPSET anyone.

Same for Bulldogs, not tipped at the start of the year but played well all season and were favourites heading into the GF surely, and if not, certainly given a great chance. Not as if they had been dominated by Sydney for years previous.

Both were surprises, but their final results weren't UPSETs.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Ahh NSWelshman....such a simple species.

Hate to break it to you battlers but not only is it far from the biggest upset of the last few years....at odds of $1.80 it's technically not actually an upset.
    Sorry Icicle.

Are you really that concerned your blokes will choke or is this what 11 years of being mentally raped does to you??
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 pm

QLD To Big, Too Strong, Too Fast, Too Good!
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:39 am

Ice wrote:

Forget the individuals you mention, none of them are valid, but even in the team ones. Leicester, finished the prior year well if I remember and played well throughout the year. Unexpected? Yes, but they didn't UPSET anyone.

Same for Bulldogs, not tipped at the start of the year but played well all season and were favourites heading into the GF surely, and if not, certainly given a great chance. Not as if they had been dominated by Sydney for years previous.

Both were surprises, but their final results weren't UPSETs.

You're digging a hole my friend. Leicester finished 14th and were awful the year before they won the title.

The Bulldogs were outsiders in every game they played in the finals series and won every game away from home. They were paying $3 in the grand final. Now I know betting odds aren't the be all and end all because it goes by weight of money not what book makers think. The Dogs finished 7th that year, no team in over a decade won from outside the top 4. Huge upset in every game they played.

It'll be an upset to beat QLD in QLD twice in the one series but it's not that level of impossible.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:24 am