NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 12 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Johnny B Goode Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:54 am

I finished 398th in 2015 having never had Smith or RTS in my team so you know it's possible to still rank highly without him but I've learnt it's better to just cast off the rebellious streak and have him from Day 1.

I started 2015 with a Michael Lichaa/Kierran Moseley combo and by the time post-Origin period rolled around I got way too cocky about doing so well without Smith, so I upgraded Lichaa to McCollough instead as a POD option. Macca's scores took a severe dip and Smith was well Smith.
    2016 I learnt from that lesson and picked him on Day 1 except I didn't put the C on him every week because I thought it was boring and uninspired. After some disastrous goes at C'ing people like Teddy, BJ and Fifi on different occasions for captains scores of 25-35 it cost me a fair few ranking spots I'd imagine.
    This year I've learnt my lessons. The C is going on him Day 1 and it's never leaving him so long as he takes the field.
    Welshy
    Welshy

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 12 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 am

Johnny B Goode wrote:I finished 398th in 2015 having never had Smith or RTS in my team so you know it's possible to still rank highly without him but I've learnt it's better to just cast off the rebellious streak and have him from Day 1.

I started 2015 with a Michael Lichaa/Kierran Moseley combo and by the time post-Origin period rolled around I got way too cocky about doing so well without Smith, so I upgraded Lichaa to McCollough instead as a POD option. Macca's scores took a severe dip and Smith was well Smith.
    2016 I learnt from that lesson and picked him on Day 1 except I didn't put the C on him every week because I thought it was boring and uninspired. After some disastrous goes at C'ing people like Teddy, BJ and Fifi on different occasions for captains scores of 25-35 it cost me a fair few ranking spots I'd imagine.  
    This year I've learnt my lessons. The C is going on him Day 1 and it's never leaving him so long as he takes the field.

Surprised you finished that well without Smith mate, Lichaa a fantastic 2nd hooking option that year as he stuck around the 45-50 point mark and started the season around $240,000, Moseley was trash...the next CS9 they said Rolling Eyes
    superbucks
    superbucks

Post by superbucks Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:41 am

Well if you're not starting Smith then it's probably Fifita for captain? Smith has great durability and discipline compared to Fifita. Not a bad gamble, but I won't be taking it. I'll probably just start both.
    Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:30 am

Madge confirming Gurgess fitness woes are behind him FWIW.
    Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 am

Not at all happy with Idris and Whare as my CTR,s but dont want compromise elsewhere , also Wallace V Daniel Saifiti any thoughts ? leaning towards DS .
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:50 am

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:Not at all happy with Idris and Whare as my CTR,s but dont want compromise elsewhere , also Wallace V Daniel Saifiti any thoughts ? leaning towards DS .
    Im very high on Saifiti mate, Wallace never been a huge scorer, chance for more minutes yes but at least Saifiti proved at the end of last year that he can produce some very decent prop scores! avg around 45 without checking the stats, likely the no1 prop at the Knights now so potential for a further increase
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:13 am

Welshy wrote:Barba will be atrocious in Union especially in the ultra physical French league dominated by forwards. He does not have a transferable skillset

You might be suprised, have you watched the Frnech league? They dont bloody tackle especially in the backs Smile

I have no idea about Barba's Union credentials but doubt he'll be any good simply because the transition form league to Union is one only a few players have been genuinely successful in. BUT the French league is the place to go - either that or go to Japan.

Presumably they will just chuck him at FB (or wing)- he wont have to tackle much, can join the offensive line in much the same way he does in RL, the only thing he'll have to learn to do is learn some positional play on D and work on his kicking game. Im not saying he'll be any good but outside backs have the easiest transition between the codes.

Also for those that say he is too small for Union... based on his wiki measures he's bigger than several All Blacks so I unless his measures are wrong (91kg and 1.76m) then size shouldn't be an issue for him. Come to think of it though he doesnt look like he is actually 91 kg....

For reference a few current (small) ABs below:

Damian McKenzie 1.77 81kg
    Aaron Cruden 1.75 82kg
    Aaron Smith 1.71 85kg

Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:30 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

You might be suprised, have you watched the Frnech league? They dont bloody tackle especially in the backs Smile

I have no idea about Barba's Union credentials but doubt he'll be any good simply because the transition form league to Union is one only a few players have been genuinely successful in. BUT the French league is the place to go - either that or go to Japan.

Presumably they will just chuck him at FB (or wing)- he wont have to tackle much, can join the offensive line in much the same way he does in RL, the only thing he'll have to learn to do is learn some positional play on D and work on his kicking game. Im not saying he'll be any good but outside backs have the easiest transition between the codes.

Also for those that say he is too small for Union... based on his wiki measures he's bigger than several All Blacks so I unless his measures are wrong (91kg and 1.76m) then size shouldn't be an issue for him. Come to think of it though he doesnt look like he is actually 91 kg....

For reference a few current (small) ABs below:

Damian McKenzie 1.77 81kg
    Aaron Cruden  1.75 82kg
    Aaron Smith 1.71 85kg

come on R and T you are comparing him size wise to world class union players in Cruden and a generational SH talent in Smith, yes MacKenzie is lightweight but he is another animal to Barba! All of them have also been playing union all their life and not just moving codes for a quick pay day

He won't make Toulons 2nd team. massive rumours Halfpenny is coming back to the Blues (Cardiff) if he stays, no way in a million years he starts FB over him. Then you have Josh Tuisova, Clerc, Ashton, Habana, Semi and O'Connor on the wings Shocked

Not a chance mate, he will be back after half a season

I watch the top regularly mate, he will get absolutely battered
    Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 am

Welshy wrote:
    Im very high on Saifiti mate, Wallace never been a huge scorer, chance for more minutes yes but at least Saifiti proved at the end of last year that he can produce some very decent prop scores! avg around 45 without checking the stats, likely the no1 prop at the Knights now so potential for a further increase

Thx mate, leaning towards DS myself.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:05 am

Fortitude wrote:

Benji's stint for the Blues (who suck) comes to mind. For mine, similar skill set that will get exposed

Benji was way too arrogant about it all though. He tried to play in the toughest Rugby comp in the world without any lead in. I recon he could have been ok if he'd played some club rugby, then some domestic stuff before trying to make it at Super Rugby leavel. Instead he just jumped in the deep end and made a fool of himself and all the people around him that thought it was a good idea.

Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 am

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:Not at all happy with Idris and Whare as my CTR,s but dont want compromise elsewhere , also Wallace V Daniel Saifiti any thoughts ? leaning towards DS .

I think Wallace will score ok if he gets the starting Lock position for 5/6 weeks, but then he needs to be traded out when Paasi returns. Will he make enough coin?
    Saifiti looks like the safer option
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 am

Buhrer vs McGuire?

Assuming both get the lock position, and McGuire gets DPP
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 am

Welshy wrote:

come on R and T you are comparing him size wise to world class union players in Cruden and a generational SH talent in Smith, yes MacKenzie is lightweight but he is another animal to Barba! All of them have also been playing union all their life and not just moving codes for a quick pay day

He won't make Toulons 2nd team. massive rumours Halfpenny is coming back to the Blues (Cardiff) if he stays, no way in a million years he starts FB over him. Then you have Josh Tuisova, Clerc, Ashton, Habana, Semi and O'Connor on the wings Shocked

Not a chance mate, he will be back after half a season

I watch the top regularly mate, he will get absolutely battered

If you watch Super Rugby or any other quality league then you'll know that the French league is just a pack of overpaid muppets that are, for the most part, just trying to ensure their careers last as long as possible. The back-line tacking is a disgrace in that comp. Barba, IF he plays, will be fine in that sense. That was my point.

In terms of size, I just named those players cause I assume people will know them. My point is 91kg (if that's what he actually is) will not be a problem for Barba in France as an outside back. His problem will be that he is unlikely to be a good rugby player!

So, in one sense I think you are right, I also dont think he will play. He's just yet another "big" name player to sign over there and sell a few more jerseys.
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am

Chewie wrote:Buhrer vs McGuire?

Assuming both get the lock position, and McGuire gets DPP

McGuire. Firstly, Buhrer will play 80 on an edge, (not at lock) but next to Lamb? I think could be exposed. DCE is a much better defender than Lamb and is a little more creative. From memory Buhrer had a few attacking stats last year.

Discounting his injury game and his next two coming back from injury (both 65 mins, he actually scored a try in 1 of them) for scores of 45 and 40.

His next 11 games he averaged 56 points in 81 mins. But in these 11 games he had 2 tries, 2 try assists, 6 line breaks, 2 Line break assists, 21 tackle breaks and 8 offloads.
    I would be very surprised if he kept these numbers up for the whole season, let alone played the whole season without significant injury.

He should average 50 if staying fit, but I think McGuire will push to a 53 average personally.

Before last seasons average of 50 he averaged around 41 in 2015 and 2014. I would be weary.

On the other hand, Josh McGuire has averaged 48,48, 50 and 46 in the last 4 years so at least you know what you are going to get. I'm hoping for a bump in minutes of about 7 and a bump in average of 5.

Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 am

Warriors wrote:

McGuire. Firstly, Buhrer will play 80 on an edge, (not at lock) but next to Lamb? I think could be exposed. DCE is a much better defender than Lamb and is a little more creative. From memory Buhrer had a few attacking stats last year.

Discounting his injury game and his next two coming back from injury (both 65 mins, he actually scored a try in 1 of them) for scores of 45 and 40.

His next 11 games he averaged 56 points in 81 mins. But in these 11 games he had 2 tries, 2 try assists, 6 line breaks, 2 Line break assists, 21 tackle breaks and 8 offloads.
    I would be very surprised if he kept these numbers up for the whole season, let alone played the whole season without significant injury.

He should average 50 if staying fit, but I think McGuire will push to a 53 average personally.

Yeah I heard Barnett will likely get the Lock position at the Knights
    With Buhrer's injury history, and also being 16k more expensive, I might go with Mcguire (who also gets DPP)
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am

next one:

RTS vs Holmes?

Now BBQ is gone

Holmes played 4 games at fullback in 2015 (62, 18, 8, 39)
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 am

Chewie wrote:RTS vs Holmes?

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 12 Quot+why+not+both+quot+from+the+tacos+commercial+_9c8a1ca8f643cce88ed30b2394e5d4a8
    Warriors
    Warriors

Post by Warriors Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

Chewie wrote:next one:

RTS vs Holmes?

Now BBQ is gone

Sharks play Broncos, Raiders, Dragons, Eels (all good defensive sides) before playing the Knights in round 5.

RTS is a given, put him in, wait and watch with Holmes is going to be my approach. He will get more base stats but he won't score more tries at fullback is my pick.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 am

Chewie wrote:next one:

RTS vs Holmes?

Now BBQ is gone

RTS, call me old fashioned but I would pick a tried and tested fantasy gun over potential everyday of the week! Especially at the same price! No problem in having both though could have 3 WFB keepers all starting the year under $300,000 if you pair them with Hayne
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 am

my tv broke wrote:

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 4 - Page 12 Quot+why+not+both+quot+from+the+tacos+commercial+_9c8a1ca8f643cce88ed30b2394e5d4a8

After watching/listening to RTS in the mdeia a lot in NZ during his injury break, and then more recently after his appointment as captain, I am even more confident in hi as a player this season. He is not an outspoken person and so will be a "lead the way by example" type captain. I think he is the clear value at WFB. That being said I currently have Holmes and RTS in my team.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:13 am