NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 13 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Pain Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:30 am

Pieman wrote:Legally, apparently he is guilty of nothing. Sure. Its always a bit sus when someone comes out with a complaint, then a few days later the complaint is withdrawn and that person is never heard from again.

Is that how it works though? I mean, Todd Carney did many illegal things, but he got sacked for something that isnt illegal, does that mean you think carney should be allowed back and has a case against cronulla?

They guy was punted for alcohol related issues at 2 clubs, fuck knows what else he has done that clubs have hidden. The bronco's especially have swept at least two issues that we know of under the rug.

I'm no fan of Todd Carney but....the supreme court agrees that he should not have been sacked for the bubbler and ordered Cronulla and Carney into mediation to resolve his $2-$3mil claim.

It shits me that blokes get a slap on the wrist for highrange drink driving etc. Drinking one's own urine isn't hurting anyone.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 13 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Milchcow Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:56 am

Legality has little to do with NRL decisions around banning people

We have plenty of wife beaters going around in the NRL, yet pissing in your own mouth or letting a dog lick your balls are career ending moves.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 am

I wonder if Bear Grylls will be a character witness for Todd Carney at the trial.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:56 am

Carney made himself look like a fuckwit and an utter baffoon but didnt hurt anyone else or break any law.

yeah, meanwhile we have josh papalii who has been convicted of two drink driving charges with no punishment from the NRL or the Raiders.

the nrl and clubs have no consistency what so ever, but its always good to have a dig at the bronco's Smile

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 am

To me it sounds like he doesn't want to play footy just use the money he gets from footy to drink up.

Maybe him "having" to play the nines is his punishment

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 am

lol yeah
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Pieman wrote:Legally, apparently he is guilty of nothing. Sure. Its always a bit sus when someone comes out with a complaint, then a few days later the complaint is withdrawn and that person is never heard from again.

Is that how it works though? I mean, Todd Carney did many illegal things, but he got sacked for something that isnt illegal, does that mean you think carney should be allowed back and has a case against cronulla?

They guy was punted for alcohol related issues at 2 clubs, fuck knows what else he has done that clubs have hidden. The bronco's especially have swept at least two issues that we know of under the rug.
    Carney shouldn't have been sacked for the bubbler but I don't mind as he should have been sacked previously for the littany of illegal crap he did.
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 am

Pieman wrote:The bloke has known alcohol problems, fuck knows what else he has done that we dont know about.
    He was supposed to be in rehab for his issues, most of which seem to come from grog - yet caused ANOTHER incident at a bar.

The club hasnt punished him in the slightest for bringing the teams name into the media AGAIN.

how many more before the club says - Ok stop being a fuckwit

The thing is, no-one knows whether he was being a sea nut, whether she made it all up, or if the truth is somewhere in between, so we don't know if he caused another incident and if not then he certainly hasn't brought the team's name into the media, someone else has. By your definition, guys like SKD should have been suspended, and Andrew Johns should be prevented from coaching gigs for falling asleep at an airport (maybe drunk, maybe tired). Crazy. Would you be happy for someone like Paul Gallen to be suspended for gouging in a scrum if there is no evidence other than an accusation, simply because he is the sort of guy who you wouldn't be surprised would do that sort of thing?

For all we know, at the club/nrl investigation they might have asked him what happened and his answer could have been along the lines of "I was in the club with mates after attending the magic millions, drinking coke all night. I have no idea who that lady is, and certainly didn't pull her hair or do anything else wrong. The first I knew of it was in the media a couple of days later, and she's either got me mixed up with someone else or made it up. If there's video of it I'd like to see it because I'm sure that'll show I haven't done anything".

In lieu of ANY evidence, whether it be witnesses or video, then I can't see how he could be punished, or in fact how anyone could even call for his punishment.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Pieman wrote:Carney made himself look like a fuckwit and an utter baffoon but didnt hurt anyone else or break any law.

yeah, meanwhile we have josh papalii who has been convicted of two drink driving charges with no punishment from the NRL or the Raiders.

the nrl and clubs have no consistency what so ever, but its always good to have a dig at the bronco's Smile

You'd have to think Carney had a clause written into his contract about behaviour. You'd expect it after his track record. So... Whilst the bubbler shouldn't get him sacked, the negative press probably gave the club a free "out".

Roberts is probably headed down the same path. Hope he grows up.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Dip wrote:
    Would you be happy for someone like Paul Gallen to be suspended
    Yes.

On track - I'd be amazed if every player's contract didn't have a bringing the club into disrepute get-out clause in it, not just the "high risk" players. The club is going to get negative press and PR if anybody, even an U20s player does something stupid - sure, not as much - but I would have though the clubs would be mitigating risk wherever they can.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:22 am

Dip wrote:

The thing is, no-one knows whether he was being a sea nut, whether she made it all up, or if the truth is somewhere in between, so we don't know if he caused another incident and if not then he certainly hasn't brought the team's name into the media, someone else has. By your definition, guys like SKD should have been suspended, and Andrew Johns should be prevented from coaching gigs for falling asleep at an airport (maybe drunk, maybe tired). Crazy. Would you be happy for someone like Paul Gallen to be suspended for gouging in a scrum if there is no evidence other than an accusation, simply because he is the sort of guy who you wouldn't be surprised would do that sort of thing?

For all we know, at the club/nrl investigation they might have asked him what happened and his answer could have been along the lines of "I was in the club with mates after attending the magic millions, drinking coke all night. I have no idea who that lady is, and certainly didn't pull her hair or do anything else wrong. The first I knew of it was in the media a couple of days later, and she's either got me mixed up with someone else or made it up. If there's video of it I'd like to see it because I'm sure that'll show I haven't done anything".

In lieu of ANY evidence, whether it be witnesses or video, then I can't see how he could be punished, or in fact how anyone could even call for his punishment.

but yep, youre right - there is not hard evidence but there was someone who accused him of something - then they shut up pretty quick for an unknown reason
    there was video but the pub refused to show it for an unknown reason
    something definitely happened, otherwise there wouldn't have been a story at all. His actions most certainly put the media in a position to have the club/nrl's name dragged through the mud AGAIN, Its not like the guy is a clean-skin (pun intended)

@ryno_ every player has to sign the code of conduct for the club. every single player. if getting into repeated incidents at pubs doesnt break the code of conduct - especially when he is a high risk player who is supposedly just out of rehab - then fuck, I must be way off, Ozzy level way off.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Pieman wrote:

Jeez that forward pack is not the strongest. Personally, I would be playing McGuire at 13 and letting him play big minutes. Glenn to split time with Joe O, and Pangai/Thaiday to play front row. Gillett plays 80. Arrow comes from the bench.
    Dont need Nikorima on the bench either. Sims either starts in the front row or at 13, or has a bench spot over niko

Uncle Wayne agrees with Pieman

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 am

Pieman wrote:

Uncle Wayne agrees with Pieman

Lol
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Did anyone here bother getting up to watch the game?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:07 am

Pieman wrote:Did anyone here bother getting up to watch the game?

I did, turned the tv on and was confused that as time goes by was on so went back to sleep. Woke up at half time saw the score. Went back to sleep.

Successful morning!
    Lebbo73

Post by Lebbo73 Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:49 am

Dip wrote:

Was he drinking coke or snorting it? Drug
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm

i watched a replay, warrington and it seems wigan (havn't watched that game yet) were really up for it this year.

i don't think brisbane or any other club treat these games as lowly as a trial but there is no doubt the broncos didn't take it as seriously (atleast at the start ) as warrington did, they were up for it, enjoyable game to watch as a neutral

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 pm

We treat it as a trial they treat it as a grand final and the result is what it is.

Always has been always will be
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:34 am

Haven't seen the Cronulla game to see how they took it, but there is certainly some level of wanting to be called World Club Champions, some from that point I think most participants take it reasonably seriously (though not seriously enough to say play injured players, like they might in the season proper). I can't see that same incentive happening for the other games of the World Club Challenge Series other than the game between the winners.

Probably a lot like the FA Cup these days. Apart from the final, pretty much every club who is a chance of playing in Europe based on the Premiership won't put it on the same level as an ordinary Premiership clash, but come the final want to win, and will celebrate if they do win and feel a bit down if they lose.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 am

It was a great spectacle I thought. Lots of feelings, a few all in handbag swingings, and the crowd were tremendous.

The Sharks definitely on the wrong end of the ref but that is no surprise. Gallen got told to fuck off pretty much every approach to the ref, but he actually had some valid points. For once.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:03 pm