NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Shizzle My Nizzle 2023

StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Shizzle My Nizzle 2023 Empty Shizzle My Nizzle 2023

Post by StuDogg101 Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:50 pm

Time to load up a team tracker before the first game. Briefly considered not doing one this year, but I got so much out of it last year I thought I'd jump back into it.

Been a funny old year so far, daughter just turned 1 and goes without saying that she's the best thing to ever happen to me. Unfortunately that means way less research done this year, and I only just caught up with the thread today after a few hours of reading the last couple of days. Been super helpful, especially as I knew what guns I wanted so the help with the cheapies was always going to be needed.

Here's what I've got so far. I'm mostly happy with the 13, some queries over 14-17 and then big worries about 18-21.

BSmith
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    EKatoa EButcher
    Cleary (c) Douiehi
    Holmes Alamoti
    Tedesco Martin Warbrick

Hopgood Boyd Garner Trindall

Doorey Hunt IKatoa Smith-Shields

Bank: $41k

Was high on starting with either WEgan or JBrailey this season, but by starting Cheese it gives so many options further down the team (see below).

Double Broncos big boys, had Tino but decided to have a look first just in case we don't get the beast that ended last year. Haas/Carrigan are pick and stick.

I know I can get a free look at Keppie but he's the only one in that range that I can afford (other than Ford) without tinkering further.  Not against tinkering, but just giving a reason why. And I think Curran gets that Ford spot back sooner rather than later.

EKatoa can only get better in that team environment. Always felt like his errors came from a lack of basic ball skills, so hopefully he can now catch and pass...and tackle. EButcher I wasn't second guessing at all until I added Teddy as my third Rooster. But even then, I'm willing to give it a nudge.

Cleary. Easy. Douiehi. Not so easy, was Hastings, but definitely prefer how my team looks with Douiehi there instead.

Holmes was one of my first picked. Two years ago I started two nuffy centres and got burnt. Last year I started two expensive centres and while it went better, I think it's ultimately unnecessary. This year I'm going one of each. I like Holmes and I think he's going to have a great year (so too the Cowboys).

Alamoti for most reasons discussed in the main thread. Good as any other pick (HSS et al).

Had Turbo originally but when I got to the end of the team I had some upgrade money left over and decided to go Teddy. Not worried too much about the Roosters bye just yet, I think they go big both the first two weeks so I feel fine with Teddy in there.

Warbrick to me is the best of the base backs, based on not much. Hoping the Storm click early and he can get some price rises going. TMM is the iffy one for me. I don't think he's going to go nuts at the Warriors, but I guess for his price it's relatively risk-free.

Bench... Hopgood and Boyd pick themselves and the DPPs are handy. Garner I'm fine with in the EDG middy roulette. Like his style and hope he can kick on. Trindall is a punt on Hynes being out for longer than anticipated. Probably the one in my 14-17 I'm least convinced of though.

The rest... I just clicked some cheap names. HSS I'm fine with, noone really knows how Katoa will go, things potentially positive for Doorey and Hunt cuz DPP.

Thanks for reading, criticism and discussion greatly appreciated and good luck for the season everyone Clap
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Shizzle My Nizzle 2023 Empty Re: Shizzle My Nizzle 2023

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:50 pm

StuDogg101 wrote:Time to load up a team tracker before the first game. Briefly considered not doing one this year, but I got so much out of it last year I thought I'd jump back into it.

Been a funny old year so far, daughter just turned 1 and goes without saying that she's the best thing to ever happen to me. Unfortunately that means way less research done this year, and I only just caught up with the thread today after a few hours of reading the last couple of days. Been super helpful, especially as I knew what guns I wanted so the help with the cheapies was always going to be needed.

Here's what I've got so far. I'm mostly happy with the 13, some queries over 14-17 and then big worries about 18-21.

BSmith
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    EKatoa EButcher
    Cleary (c) Douiehi
    Holmes Alamoti
    Tedesco Martin Warbrick

Hopgood Boyd Garner Trindall

Doorey Hunt IKatoa Smith-Shields

Bank: $41k

Was high on starting with either WEgan or JBrailey this season, but by starting Cheese it gives so many options further down the team (see below).

Double Broncos big boys, had Tino but decided to have a look first just in case we don't get the beast that ended last year. Haas/Carrigan are pick and stick.

I know I can get a free look at Keppie but he's the only one in that range that I can afford (other than Ford) without tinkering further.  Not against tinkering, but just giving a reason why. And I think Curran gets that Ford spot back sooner rather than later.

EKatoa can only get better in that team environment. Always felt like his errors came from a lack of basic ball skills, so hopefully he can now catch and pass...and tackle. EButcher I wasn't second guessing at all until I added Teddy as my third Rooster. But even then, I'm willing to give it a nudge.

Cleary. Easy. Douiehi. Not so easy, was Hastings, but definitely prefer how my team looks with Douiehi there instead.

Holmes was one of my first picked. Two years ago I started two nuffy centres and got burnt. Last year I started two expensive centres and while it went better, I think it's ultimately unnecessary. This year I'm going one of each. I like Holmes and I think he's going to have a great year (so too the Cowboys).

Alamoti for most reasons discussed in the main thread. Good as any other pick (HSS et al).

Had Turbo originally but when I got to the end of the team I had some upgrade money left over and decided to go Teddy. Not worried too much about the Roosters bye just yet, I think they go big both the first two weeks so I feel fine with Teddy in there.

Warbrick to me is the best of the base backs, based on not much. Hoping the Storm click early and he can get some price rises going. TMM is the iffy one for me. I don't think he's going to go nuts at the Warriors, but I guess for his price it's relatively risk-free.

Bench... Hopgood and Boyd pick themselves and the DPPs are handy. Garner I'm fine with in the EDG middy roulette. Like his style and hope he can kick on. Trindall is a punt on Hynes being out for longer than anticipated. Probably the one in my 14-17 I'm least convinced of though.

The rest... I just clicked some cheap names. HSS I'm fine with, noone really knows how Katoa will go, things potentially positive for Doorey and Hunt cuz DPP.

Thanks for reading, criticism and discussion greatly appreciated and good luck for the season everyone Clap

Gun team good luck!
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:02 pm

Bit late on the update but have been away so didn't really get a chance. Got a very average 778 for a rank in the mid 20k. Similar start to last year, but hopefully this year goes differently!

Rage traded Garner to Carty, which made sense but can't say I'm not bitter about his score last night. Haven't made a second trade yet, mostly because I couldn't decide who to trade. TMM the only real candidate, but now I'm a bit gun shy after not giving Garner a second chance. Going to have to have a play around to see if I can cover my Roosters next week. Will also sort out my loop before game 2.

Will do proper breakdown next round since this one has already stated.

BSmith
    Haas Carrigan (Keppie)
    EKatoa EButcher
    Cleary (c) Douiehi
    Holmes Hunt
    Tedesco Martin Warbrick

Hopgood Boyd Cartwright Trindall

Doorey Alamoti IKatoa Smith-Shields

Bank: $212k
    Trades: 35 (1)

Words of advice, as always, greatly appreciated!
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Second trade, Alamoti to Ford 5 minutes before kickoff. This game huh 🤷
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:03 pm

StuDogg101 wrote:Second trade, Alamoti to Ford 5 minutes before kickoff. This game huh 🤷

This one will sting
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:10 am

Well another week in the books and nothing to show for it. Appalling score and rank. Definitely didn't get hit with as many injuries and whatnot compared to some, but between Cheese, Ford, Hunt, Boyd and HSS it was not a good week. Literally last minute trade of Alamoti to Ford just hurt, but who was to know what was about to happen? The other trade of Garner to Carty also made sense, but Garner's score definitely rubbed a bit of salt into the wound for the week.

This week I'm pretty keen to bring in a WFB so I don't have to rely on TMM. Despite my roulette of average centres, I'm happy to roll the dice each week and hopefully get lucky. Well. Luckier than the round just gone anyway. If I can afford Walsh I'll probably just grab him but will have to see. Will also probably grab Preston. Can play him in the 17 and will get those juicy price rises.

The question therefore moves to, who gets culled? After the weekend I was very much on the holding Cheese train. But after a few days of opinions that I've read on the forum, I'm now much more on the fence, if not on the side of trading him. Can always get him back if he starts killing it. Maybe. Only problem is that leaves me with Boyd as my only Hooker and that doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. Another player I was pretty high on preseason just shitting the bed.

Secondly I'd probably get rid of TMM solely because he's slightly higher value to my nuff emergencies. I'm pretty keen to keep Doorey, EButcher and Katoa (for now). And probably Ford too, since I just got him in and all. But until I've run the numbers, I can't completely rule anyone out from the trade block.

Other miscellaneous things, the Douiehi rumour doesn't matter too much as I do have IKatoa to step in if absolutely necessary (thankfully Trindall gets another game). I'll probably captain Hopgood this week, but if not then I would feel pretty confident putting it on Haas. Keppie back means I have 5 mids again, but if I trade Cheese to Preston, that's just another edge and with Ford out I'd be running no cover this week if I'm captaining Hopgood. Just writing this out makes me think maybe I should (C) Haas. Hmm.

Pre-trades:

Boyd
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    EKatoa Hopgood (C)
    Trindall Douiehi
    Holmes HSS
    Tedesco Martin Warbrick

EButcher Carty (Cleary) (Ford)

Cheese Doorey Hunt IKatoa

Bank: $79k
    Trades: 34 (2)

Will sort the loops before the first game, but depending on trades I might just play whoever I end up bringing in.

As always, thanks for reading and good luck for the round ahead
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:20 pm

Man just when I don't think it can get worse, it gets worse. Captained Hopgood at the last minute after wavering over Haas when the Carrigan news came out. And we all know how that went. Coupled with some other underperformers I ended up on a measley 752 and dropped even more ranks to 35738. I don't think I've ever been ranked this low after 3 rounds. Everyone has either been doing "OK", or shit. Very few have achieved above what I expected.

Traded Cheese to Preston and TMM to Walsh last week. In hindsight, knee-jerk trading TMM was probably a mistake, but dropping Cheese was actually all good. The only minus being Boyd as my only Hooker for now. I'm saying that, I'm happy with how Walsh and Preston went so I can't really complain.

This week is rough with several outs/benchings. I can field a 17 without trading, but I feel like I need to make another couple of trades to try and dig myself out of this hole. Then just hope Cleary can pull finger otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and trade him too. Gonna hold Teddy cuz I have to believe he'll come good. Get Ford back but lose Trindall. Doorey can sit on the bench so not too fussed. Having to play one of HSS/Hunt each week is getting tiresome, but don't feel like burning a trade on the centres just yet.

As for the trades themselves... I'm $15k short of EButcher to Turbo, which would have been my preference here. Other than that, I'm not sure who to trade to raise the funds. I want another WFB so I can bench (or trade) Warbrick. I also desperately need another Hooker. Consider trading Douiehi or Trindall, but know that's probably not worth it this week either. My hand might be forced, however.

Current team pre trades

Boyd
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    EKatoa Preston
    Cleary Douiehi
    Holmes HSS
    HHunt Walsh Warbrick

Carty Ford IKatoa Hopgood

(EButcher Teddy) Doorey Trindall

Bank: $97k
    Trades: 32 (2)
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:35 pm

Consider, douehi and butcher to SJ and Turbo?

Douehi is now playing fb, and had turf toe which is a lingering injury
    Egan is covered by the other edges in team, katoa, hopgood and Preston

Turbo is a GUN
    SJ is playing unreal and warriors on the up

As for centre roulette, pretty much everyone has to, at least you have one standout, shame you didn’t get Alamoti at start, but it’s not the biggest problem

Just my thoughts on the matter

Good luck

One thing I would say is trading aggressively when things are not good always helps
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 pm

Thanks bro yeah SJ is a good shout. Was hoping the turf toe was a media beat up, but sounds like it's a legit issue so probably worth the boot.

Sigh, I started with Alamoti but he was a R1 sacrifice 🤦
    Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 am

Yeah NRL Physio is pretty negative on Doueihi (and he has him in many formats including drafts). I think he has to go. Gaz proposes very similar trades to what I'm doing this week, hoping Turbo can go gangbusters for a few weeks and those not on him can play catchup on us for a change!

Your trades last week were sound mate, there was no indication that TMM would be scoring so well. Both trade ins did well so gotta be happy with that. Hopefully your lads can pull their finger out for you this week!
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:13 pm

Yeah you're right, I'm generally pretty optimistic with things so I'm not too concerned about the season as a whole, just a bit of a blip at the start. Motivated to get a high as I can now, and it's almost like an experiment.

I've locked in SJ and Turbo, and I'm going to loop Warbrick and either HSS or Hunt (whichever one I don't play). Cleary for a big game. Cheers for the comments!
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:25 pm

StuDogg101 wrote:Yeah you're right, I'm generally pretty optimistic with things so I'm not too concerned about the season as a whole, just a bit of a blip at the start. Motivated to get a high as I can now, and it's almost like an experiment.

I've locked in SJ and Turbo, and I'm going to loop Warbrick and either HSS or Hunt (whichever one I don't play). Cleary for a big game. Cheers for the comments!

Big week, bet your team looks ace with SJ and turbo in

Things can change massively in one week, look what happened to me in week 3
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:58 pm

Finally a more positive week with a 978. Could things have gone better? Sure. But after the below average first few rounds it was nice to finally hit a decent score and start to erase the rank deficit. Prior to the weekend I would have been happy with any rank in the 20-25k range (started at 35k), and I ended up at a palindromic 19991. Stoked with that.

A few notes on the team
    - Boyd finally showed some promise, which was fortunate considering he was my only hooker.
    - Haas and Hoogood excellent. Keppie chugging along, quietly making bank.
    - Katoa looking more like a keeper every game at the moment. Preston the same as Keppie, doing what I need him to.
    - Cleary and new recruit SJ, both impressive. SJ has always been a confidence player and I think it's no coincidence that the team is doing well because he's doing well, and vice versa.
    - Holmes doing what I expected, averaging over 40.
    HSS, first bump in the road for the team last week. 24 is OK, but just that, only OK. Will need to upgrade sooner rather than later, but for now he can chill there.
    - Warbrick finally got a score and his cash moving subbing in for Teddy. Probably still don't want to play him every week but he definitely helped the team out last round. Walsh with a 40. Hoping he his closer to his average than that, but also realistic that not many WFB reach the halcyon heights of averaging north of 45/50. Turbo disappointing first game, but with limited opportunities I'm just glad he was cheap. Still hoping he can hit his average, same as Walsh.
    - Carty/Ford/Carrigan excellent from the bench. Doorey not so much, but everyone has a weak link or two at this stage of the season, but between him and HSS I'm that was the difference between my score and a potential 1000.

Coming into this week, I'm in the unfortunate position of needing to trade in a hooker to play for while Boyd is on the bye. My initial plans were Trindall and Doorey to Brailey and someone, but since Trindall didn't end up playing I'm a few thousand short. Back to the drawing board.

Going to have to leave Hynes until after his bye. Will have more of an idea where my cows are at by then, with players like Keppie or Preston potentially more like upgrade targets. However I've been guilty in the past of milking cows too early and missing out on the extra cash for an even better upgrade. Can't predict the future of course, but if l can hold off to make more bank then I'll be doing my best to.

Other than that, but much else to report. Teddy back makes my back 3 look good on paper so hopefully they actually pull finger all at the same time. Might consider playing Warbrick in Doorey's spot depending who I trade in.

Current team:
    (Boyd)
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    Katoa Preston
    Cleary SJ
    Holmes HSS
    Teddy Turbo Walsh

Carty Ford Hopgood Doorey
    Warbrick Hunt IKatoa Trindall

Bank: $88k
    Trades: 30 (2)

Any trade suggestions or other comments greatly appreciated as always, thanks for taking the time to read.
    Snatchpato
    Snatchpato

Post by Snatchpato Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:26 pm

Damn mate that's a really tough position to be in regarding no hooker + not enough cash.

Not many hookers under JBrailey that are that appealing.. perhaps Mitch Kenny? Should be good for low 40s putting him ~ 100k underpriced and should be reasonably reliable. Only downside you'd need to double trade to get him, and then you've only got 321k to play with.

Alternatively you can gamble on Hands being an option moving forward which would allow you to grab Lemuelu and aesthetically keep your bank exactly the same.

I don't love either option though.. Really tough spot.
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:00 pm

Yeah I painted myself into this corner pretty hard. The money was tight anyway, but I should have made sure I had a backup plan last week for this week. I think I'm going to go Trindall and Doorey to Hands and Hosking and roll the dice twice. Hosking will hopefully make the fast money I need and Hands will fill a spot for a week.

Lemmy is one I hadn't really considered this week, but you make a good point. I might have a play around and see how that looks. Either way I'm going to have to risk it for the biscuit so fingers crossed
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:24 pm

Good luck stu
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:05 am

Painful week of either awesome scores or shit scores with not much in between. Ended on 884 with a fall in ranks back to 24610.

Really should have taken the advice and got Lemmy in, even if it meant playing with 16 because the Hands trade was a waste of time, which wasexacerbated by HSS forgetting how to play. Totally knew it probably was going to be the case, but focused too much on the fact he was a hooker that I could afford for a week. Glad I went through with the Hosking trade though. Get a bit of money flowing.

Hands - low score but better than a zero is what I'm telling myself. Very unlike-me trade and I've been pondering whether I regret it or not.

Haas great, Hopgood marginal, Keppie and Carrigan below average.

Preston and Hosking great, Ford ok, Carty and Katoa below average.

Cleary and SJ fantastic. Not going to stress too much about getting Hynes in a hurry as long as these two keep it up.

Holmes good, HSS embarrassingly abysmal.

Turbo and Walsh great, Teddy unfortunate but still below average and continuing his underwhelming trend to start the season.

Warbrick and IKatoa did fine in the emergencies, but Hunt was a late out.

HSS goes this week, don't care who to but I just can't face him in my team another round. Tempting to trade Teddy, but I told myself at the start of the season I wouldn't trade him all season unless he got injured. I don't think this counts. Warbrick stands in for him this week, either way.

Got FOMO on a few players like Miller, who everyone has. Might have to suck it up and pay the overs for him, but I'm annoyed at myself for being so wrong about his fantasy potential. Absolutely no bank though after blowing my load on Hosking last week, so still not many options. Would love to keep both Carty and Hopgood in the interim but may have to just bite the bullet and trade one. Especially for a playable centre. Will have a bit of a look at who's available and work it out from there. Also going to bank on players like Keppie, Carrigan and Katoa showing that last week was (hopefully) an aberration.

Current team:
    Boyd
    Haas Carrigan Keppie
    Katoa Hosking
    Cleary SJ
    Holmes HSS
    Warbrick Turbo Walsh

Carty Ford Hopgood Preston
    Hands IKatoa (Teddy Hunt)

Bank: $13k
    Trades: 28 (2)
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:45 pm

What have you decided for this week?
    StuDogg101
    StuDogg101

Post by StuDogg101 Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:04 pm

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:What have you decided for this week?

A tentative Carty and HSS to Lemmy and KNik

I don't know whether to trade Carty or Hopgood, and I wish I could wait a week, but I need a centre
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:22 pm

I think I’d keep Hopgood over carty, because hop has a huge ceiling, and better job security, granted at lessened minutes

Hopgood can always be moved on if it doesn’t pan out

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:55 pm