NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat - Page 25 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:01 pm

Mulvy wrote:

Oh really? Don't mind me then.

That’s what I heard, unless there has been a more recent update

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat - Page 25 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:40 pm

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:

Might be available round 1

Thank you
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:51 am

So, for everyone running with 6 or 7 minimum price players, RL Fantasy Pro (I hate to give Butters credit but here we go) has a Team Analysis tool where you can look at every team's week-by-week and is currently showing last season's data.

I know value crops up in different places and positions from year to year, but giving a quick look at the top five teams last year and their Round One teams, a couple of things stood out:

1) Very few base price players, between 2 and 4

2) Everyone went heavy on WFB (Papy, Hynes and Teddy for the most part)
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:53 am

rhinoceroo wrote:So, for everyone running with 6 or 7 minimum price players, RL Fantasy Pro (I hate to give Butters credit but here we go) has a Team Analysis tool where you can look at every team's week-by-week and is currently showing last season's data.

I know value crops up in different places and positions from year to year, but giving a quick look at the top five teams last year and their Round One teams, a couple of things stood out:

Hynes as a WFB was a steal!

And if I remember papy was super underpriced
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:57 am

Hynes as a WFB was a steal!

And if I remember papy was super underpriced

True. That's where the value was. But Hynes/Papy/Teddy is *very* different to people's selections at WFB this year. Entirely possible we could be sat here in 2024 thinking about what steals Ponga and TTurbo were at the start of this year.

It was more the lack of min-price picks that was interesting. Anyone who went, for example, Ming/Schneider/Vailea/AFifita/WSmith was instantly behind anyone who just went Ming & Schneider, even if they squeezed another Subgun out of it. And not necessarily behind because of scores, but behind in a way that could take half a season to fix in terms of trades and cash gen and narrowing options.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:14 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

True. That's where the value was. But Hynes/Papy/Teddy is *very* different to people's selections at WFB this year. Entirely possible we could be sat here in 2024 thinking about what steals Ponga and TTurbo were at the start of this year.

It was more the lack of min-price picks that was interesting. Anyone who went, for example, Ming/Schneider/Vailea/AFifita/WSmith was instantly behind anyone who just went Ming & Schneider, even if they squeezed another Subgun out of it. And not necessarily behind because of scores, but behind in a way that could take half a season to fix in terms of trades and cash gen and narrowing options.

Schneider Ming and Walters my base players last year

Rest of my team was awful though - started so badly, thankfully (with guidance) did loads of catching up
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms
    Fanatic

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:39 am

rhinoceroo wrote:So, for everyone running with 6 or 7 minimum price players, RL Fantasy Pro (I hate to give Butters credit but here we go) has a Team Analysis tool where you can look at every team's week-by-week and is currently showing last season's data.

I think last year was the exception. Papy was underpriced as a gun keeper and was in 78% of teams that finished top 5000. Hynes was underpriced and ended up being the highest scorer in fantasy, started the year in 85% of teams that finished top 5000. It would be like Brimson and Ponga elevating to elite options. Teddy was also ~150k cheaper than Turbo to start the season which made the value okay

I know most are going overboard on base price players and I do think you need to spend a little bit at WFB, but I think we can safely say there isn't a Hynes lurking and there probably isn't a Papy

EDIT: For what it's worth I currently have Ponga, Turbo and CNK which is a decent chunk of change compared to most
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:46 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

I think last year was the exception. Papy was underpriced as a gun keeper and was in 78% of teams that finished top 5000. Hynes was underpriced and ended up being the highest scorer in fantasy, started the year in 85% of teams that finished top 5000. It would be like Brimson and Ponga elevating to elite options. Teddy was also ~150k cheaper than Turbo to start the season which made the value okay

I know most are going overboard on base price players and I do think you need to spend a little bit at WFB, but I think we can safely say there isn't a Hynes lurking and there probably isn't a Papy

EDIT: For what it's worth I currently have Ponga, Turbo and CNK which is a decent chunk of change compared to most

Agree there's no Hynes. Still possible that Turbo and Ponga are being underrated (despite injury risks, which Papy also had last year) and the old top-down build your gun hok/mids first approach might not be the way to go. Didn't seem to be last year, with the caveat that that could have been an outlier for various reasons.

EDIT: Not far away from you. Currently Ponga, Turbo, TMM/Perham but will be looking at role (Ponga) and fitness (both) in trials.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:07 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

Agree there's no Hynes. Still possible that Turbo and Ponga are being underrated (despite injury risks, which Papy also had last year) and the old top-down build your gun hok/mids first approach might not be the way to go. Didn't seem to be last year, with the caveat that that could have been an outlier for various reasons.

EDIT: Not far away from you. Currently Ponga, Turbo, TMM/Perham but will be looking at role (Ponga) and fitness (both) in trials.
    currently running with the same back 3
    TheWeapon
    TheWeapon

Post by TheWeapon Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:31 am

I'm going a bit different - currently have Drinkwater locked in, but haven't decided on the other two. Will be taking a close look at Ponga and Miller this weekend.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

I've got Ponga, but it's my plan to fund Turbo with one of my duds after his bye, somewhere around rds 3,4,5. There's always duds.
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 am

The resources and content out there for both Fantasy and Supercoach is just amazing. I remember when i first started playing there was nothing like this and I had to pick my own team
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:42 am

Honey Badger wrote:

The resources and content out there for both Fantasy and Supercoach is just amazing. I remember when i first started playing there was nothing like this and I had to pick my own team

This forum is a cheat code though, amalgamation of the best bits,
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:48 am

This forum is a cheat code though, amalgamation of the best bits,

We don't win anything tho ☹
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:17 am

Which is the best combo, each costs about the same. Each has Uto as the other FRF.
    1) Brailley (either) + Murray + Cotter +5k /0k ITB
    2) Robson + Haas + Cotter + 7k
    3) Grant + Carrigan + Cotter + 26k
    4)Egan + Murray + Haas +48k
    5) Grant + Murray + Gilbert + 15k
    6) Grant + Haas + Welch + 39k
    (None of the above gets me from Burton to Doueihi!)
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:21 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Last year Hynes and Pappy were both priced very appealingly, I think quite a lot of teams had both, so the decision was basically whether to pair them with Teddy or a cheapie. There were cheap halves too that allowed Hynes to start at WFB when otherwise he might have been picked at HLF with a cheap WFB

This year Ponga and Trbo are the premium WFBs that look to be at a discount. So the question is whether the top 10 this year will all start with them or not.

White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:22 am

on ponga was listening to the magic sponge podcast a few weeks ago & they explained his concussion history:
    last 6 weeks of the 2021 season 3 concussions
    since 2019 there are 5 concussions that we know of (could be more)
    if he has 1 more concussion he could be out longer due to his history where the accumulation of concussions means a longer recovery

ponga just doesn't know how to tackle he gets head knocks because he puts his head in the wrong position. if someone had of taught him how to tackle when he was younger he'd have no concussions. this year he's playing in the defensive line which will require more tackling.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:23 am

rhinoceroo wrote:

We don't win anything tho ☹

We had a poor 2021, but generally we have a bunch of people doing well every year

Is there any forum/group that consistently has winners (with the assumption that most serious players lurk in multiple places)
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:29 am

I'll be at the games again tonight for those relying on my preseason intel
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:32 am

Milchcow wrote:

We had a poor 2021, but generally we have a bunch of people doing well every year

Is there any forum/group that consistently has winners (with the assumption that most serious players lurk in multiple places)

The Amateurs group did well last year, but yeah that's a couple of thousand people and they may well be lurking here too.

It's a fair point about the availability of content though, between mtvb and fantasy pro and Amateurs and a new Steve Nicholls-style bible and a new podcast every day it's a *lot*

Still won't think the season has really started until your first multi-coloured BE spreadsheet drops though. Best day of Fantasy other than TLT.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:29 pm