NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Empty Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 am

Like every good hooker, sometimes you need your comeback

Ok so was partly taking the piss this year with a bit of a meme bench throwing 2 centres,carty and chee kam and a cold burton after getting bored halfway into the round with all teams looking similar and going out round one with a chuckle but now I am excited for this new challenge

To be honest it could have been worse if Milford had of started too and Carty/Chee kam kinda suprised me to be honest so this can be salvaged or at least be an interesting lesson for people who may want to quit after a bad start.
    Perhaps it was seeing Carty with his long strides down the field that got me excited to turn this around or maybe just plain old nostalgia

Part of the reasons I started this 'party' was the group thinking/hivemind that can ofter override peoples decision thinking to select certain players. Call it selective bias but piling on a so called bad player because you got burnt even though on paper they seem a good option isn't great
    I wanted to make it easier and a fun way to help others so created these which have taken on a form of their own

https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t665-maloney-s-anonymous?highlight=maloney+bbq
    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t935-roll-the-dice-on-bryce-its-time-for-a-carty-party

Anyways for anyone new here or below the age of 30 I haven't done one of these for years but the reason for starting this whole 'assistant coach' was more to hold myself accountable for my decisions and use my mistakes as learnings
    It was created to not only show people that no matter how bad you start you can fix your team but also a self learning tool

It's easy to throw around 50 players names and focus on your hits while hiding your misses, but it's much harder to share your trades in advance here in a thread then back it up for a whole season.
    You won't get them all right and thats the point, but lying to yourself and others or bending stats/opinions or semi autistic fixation on certain players to simply prove something to a bunch of randoms isn't healthy haha
    Anyways if you were always right you would win every year so lets be honest here and simply make calculated good trades without overthinking them

I am going to be honest I don't have the stamina for fancy graphs or massive breakdowns, compiling stats or trawling throuch excel spreadsheets like my younger days but will happily answer questions or explain my reasoning

Disclaimer: I am slightly more risk adverse due to the care factor now as not here to prove or win anything just have some fun, so please consider any advice or decision I make for my own team to be without risk.
    Be accountable for your own actions

TLDR: If you are lazy call in here before thursday to copy trades Wink

2022 315th
    2021 DNF
    2020 196th
    2019 40th Sharks league winner    https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t783-trials-and-tribulations-of-a-nrl-fantasy-coach-2019-end-result-40thhighlight=trials++tribulations
    2018 164th https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t626-trials-and-tribulations-of-an-nrl-fantasy-coach-2018-end-result-164th?highlight=trials++tribulations
    2017 475th https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t420-trials-and-tribulations-of-an-nrl-fantasy-coach-2017-round-14-trades-update-08-06?highlight=trials++tribulations
    2016 38th Sharks League winner https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t212-trials-and-tribulations-of-a-nrl-fantasy-coach-from-31193-to-38-overall-roller-coaster-2016-blog?highlight=trials++tribulations
    2015 and before No idea from sportal days, team name was Bourbon Brothers

Last edited by Boozecluez on Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:28 am; edited 10 times in total

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Empty Re: Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:40 am

Starting team

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Round182
    Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Round183
    Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Round180

Last edited by Boozecluez on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Empty Re: Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:40 am

Reserved for something witty

Last edited by Boozecluez on Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:40 am

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Giphy

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:53 am

State of the nation and initial thinking:

Ok so no point going into too much depth with alot of these players as most people have them
    I think we hit most of the cheapies but luckily missed a few duds too
    So the funny thing is the 'meme team' actually might of helped a little by blocking some of the questionable cheapies
    Cheers boys

Will wait for TLT to properly assess things but we are going to need more depth in the 17 in the coming weeks, hooker could be an issue as well
    We are possibly ahead of the curve with Bird and looking over Talakai's stats now he averaged mid 40's last year at centre so probably no point selling him now in a tricky position.

Perhaps deleting the bench and choosing what i thought was funny at the time wasn't the smart play haha

Anyways Talakai ran 200m and moylan didn't help his defence so all the missed tackles and this won't happen every week.
    I feel he can bounce back as he relies on attacking stats to help boost his score and the sharks are still a good team.
    Maybe ride and die with this big boy I reckon unless we can yolo spend his cash to help fix another position with a must have, we will see

Burton I think needs to go, surplus to requirements and his cash will help right the ship a bit.
    Can't afford to wait for him to hit form now when early days you need to hit the ground running and he is the worst in the pack right now
    Can either upgrade to a harris/mahoney or go down to a ford/Nicholls so we will see what pops up but sometimes it's not smart to put all our eggs in one basket when multiple positions need fixing.
    Harris could be great but not if we need to play a Katoa if Hynes returns and Trindall is running water

Ponga is an interesting one, the HIA effected the score and he did score all his points in the first part of the game but he did look alright
    If the rest of the team was better we could look at a cash generation playable option like CNK but that's probably not a priority now
    Give him another week perhaps

Cheese is a wait and see, but even if he scores 40 from here he will be performing a role
    If he is injured then he is a simple trade to someone like Mahoney or left field JMK

Lastly Blore was unlucky and got knocked out so will have to see what happens with him and the cheapies will need a big score to boost their cash value so we will see

See you tomorrow, if you have suggestions or ideas let me know but I don't deal in hypotheticals or fantasies, only facts so lets see what Tuesday brings perhaps
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:18 am

Woahhhh.... here you are, way out in the faaarken boondocks !

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:20 am

Player brainstorm:

Mark Nicholls MID 479K BE 7

With Mark we need to look more than the BE but what does he offer us
    Do we need a mid or will he be a bench position, which positions aren't as important
    If not what else can you get for this price?
    If we ignore BE or previous price, is 479k reasonable to pay now for his points output?

He is fairly consistent and simply needs time on the park and has a decent motor so can be asked to play more minutes if needed (HIA/injuries)
    If we assume 40 minutes which is what he has played most his life then the floor is probably more like 35pts
    He is in a more senior position at this new team so perhaps 50mins is acheivable too, hard to know

So 35-45pts is probably the call and perhaps a similar style of player is someone like Toby Rudolf at 604k for comparison (43pts 50mins)
    Someone to consider and may plug holes but perhaps some of the other options are more pressing

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:24 am

Revraiser wrote:Woahhhh.... here you are, way out in the faaarken boondocks !

We all can't be saints now can we? Otherwise they would make a movie on it

Not just another spoiler:
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:35 am

Trials and tribulations of a nrl fantasy coach 2023 Great-to-have-you-back-welcome

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:42 am

Chewie wrote:
    Spoiler:

Thankyou for stopping by in less than 12 parsecs, appreciated as always

I probably need to direct some of my misguided energy into this and need something to keep me motivated
    So might as well do something productive in between Carty parties haha

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 am