NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

VSDT NFL cash comp

Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

VSDT NFL cash comp Empty VSDT NFL cash comp

Post by Rippin and Tearin Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 am

Hey guys, thinking about doing this again this year - we had 12 or so last year. Was $50 buy in.

Chuck your name down in this thread if you are interested.

For those that played last year Im thinking of the same format although will have to take and extra $5 or so to cover all the fees I got pounded with last year.

For anyone else thats new, I'll post up the basics of the game a bit later.

Cheers.
    Pacey's Best
    Pacey's Best

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2016

VSDT NFL cash comp Empty Re: VSDT NFL cash comp

Post by Pacey's Best Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Hey R&T mate. Yep, I'd like to do this again this year.
    Russ
    Russ

Post by Russ Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 am

I'm in if it runs again this year
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 am

I'm in for sure.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:42 am

OK cool, thanks guys. I've probably got another person that's keen so perhaps that's enough to get things started.

Im flat out at work this week so I'll try to start organising things over the weekend.

In the mean time, please feel free to invite others to join, that'll boost the prize pool and save me a bit of work. I'll copy and paste something from last year here now to give new comers an idea of what its all about.

Cheers.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 am

Last year we had 14 entries and the prize structure was.

1st = $350
    2nd = $150
    3rd = $100

Top weekly score for the season = $100

We'll do something similar this year.

VSDT platform

A number of us have played this platform before either in NFL, NRL, or other sports they offer. In order to make sure we are all on the same page please see the following posts. They are quite important in terms of how to utilise the best strategy for the VSDT platform.

website link:

https://sportsdeck.com/au/nfl/dreamteam#/lobby
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 am

Scoring, Subs, and AEs

You have a team of 16 starters and 8 subs.

Your 8 Substitutes will act as automatic emergencies in their matching position only. If one of you 16 starters doesn’t gain any fantasy stats your lowing scoring sub (with fantasy stats) will substitute in for their place.

I believe you can technically have an AE score for you in each of the 6 fantasy positions.

Captains Loophole

Like NRLF it is rolling lockout (i.e. players lock as their games start). But unlike NRLF your captain (c) and vice captain (vc) do not lock at the start of the round and you can change who you have them on up until the individual players lock out.

This means that there is the potential to utilise the so-called ‘captains loophole’.

How to do this:
    1) you must have a red-dot (non playing person in your team).
    2) Place the vc on a player playing early in the round (for round 1 this might be Matt Ryan for example).
    3) Place your (c) on someone playing later (Todd Gurley for example).
    4) Make sure you’re your red dot can be subbed into your team after Ryan has played (remembering how players lock out as their games start).
    5) If Ryan goes really well and you want to take his score as your captains score, substitute in your red dot and put the captain on him. He will not score for the round therefore defaulting your captain choice to your vice captain.
    6) You will get an AE for your red dot.
    7) If you don’t want to take Ryan’s score as your captain, leave as is and Gurley will remain your captain.

Like it or not, this is a strategy employed by most who have played the VSDT platform and I have had a quick chat privately with some of the long term members on the site who have signed up for this comp and consensus was that the best way forward on this issue was to be 100% transparent about it, make sure everyone understand it, can use it if they want, and then at least everyone is on the same page.

I’d also point out that the strategy only works if you have a red dot. It would be a risk too purposefully have a red dot in your team to start the season to employ this from day 1 as you would potentially have no cover in a particular postion and also would be sacrificing a potential CC which I would argue is more important for the long game than the potential to be able to loop. That’s just my opinion though – each to their own.

Price Changes

Another important thing to understand about the VSDT site is that player prices change in a similar way to NRLF, i.e. based on their fantasy performance in relation to their price BUT player’s prices do not change until they have played 3 games.

This is very important from a strategy perspective and IMO makes the game a little bit more forgiving. It means that prior to round three you can trade up to four times to fix any mistake you have made with your initial squad. I would argue that everyone should take advantage of those four trades.

Starting Prices

The basis of doing well in this game is about finding ‘value’ particularly in your starting squad. The 2018 prices of players is mostly a product of their 2017 average scoring. So someone like Todd Gurley is expensive cause he went well last year, and someone like Jaquizz Rodgers is cheap cause he scored poorly last year. Value can be found therefore if you think a player will improve on last year.

Also, in NFL there are typically a bunch of fantasy relevant rookies. Rooikies can range in price but they will always be priced relatively low. So if you can find a rookie in a skilled position that will start, it is likely that they will offer some value. There are a number of QBs this year that might fit that bill. I might show my ignorance here but an example might be Baker Mayfield Im thinking he starts over Tyrod Taylor.

Lastly, like NRLF there is a discount on players prices if they played 6 or fewer games (I think that’s the number). An example from last year I David Johnson. He only played 1 game I think.  This is where it gets a little complicated because it seems like they have priced DJ with no relation to his 2017 average. I suspect what they have done is priced him at a discount to his 2016 average. Either way, his price is not reflective of his 2017 average and that is because of the number of games he played. The point here is that value can be found in those players who played 6 or fewer games.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am

People who were in last time:

1. @Pacey's_Best (PAID)
    2. @Russ (PAID)
    3. @Krump (PAID)
    4. @Rippin and Tearin (PAID)
    5. @Ti - non-forum member (PAID)
    6. @Revraiser (PAID)
    7. @concussed (PAID)
    8. @Krump's Mate (PAID)
    9. @Verbal Kint (PAID)
    10. @Enchanted Glossy Flamingo (PAID)
    11. @Thickshake (PAID)
    12. @Pain (PAID)
    13. @wolfking (PAID)
    14. @welshy (PAID)
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am

Is there any way we can work out to do it without fees? We get stung sending the money to you, and you get stung sending it back.

All good if not, just makes it all the more important to grab top spot.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Thickshake wrote:Is there any way we can work out to do it without fees? We get stung sending the money to you, and you get stung sending it back.

All good if not, just makes it all the more important to grab top spot.

Not sure man.

Part of the problem (I guess) is that Im in NZ and therefore almost every transfer is cross currency...

Im more than happy for someone else to take over running the money side of things (OZ based preferably). That should cut the costs a bit.

Outside of PayPal Im not sure there is a better way to be honest...
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Not sure man.

Part of the problem (I guess) is that Im in NZ and therefore almost every transfer is cross currency...

Im more than happy for someone else to take over running the money side of things (OZ based preferably). That should cut the costs a bit.

Outside of PayPal Im not sure there is a better way to be honest...

Yeah fair enough, I can set up a money pool on PayPal as SI has done for the NRL cash league, I guess it will mean any overseas participants still cop a fee, and I'll cop a fee if one of them wins a prize. I'm happy with that, cuts out fees for anyone based in Aus which I assume is the majority.
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Alright, I created a money pool and I put my own $50 in. If everyone else can do the same and include your fanatics name in the details somewhere we can get this thing happening. I'll post up when people chip in and R and T can handle league codes if that works.

https://paypal.me/pools/c/8h4Y2Tc0mI
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Well done mate! I'll get my money to you ASAP.
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Payment received by Russ.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 am

BTW - last year contacting people directly via PM proved the only way to get decent numbers for the comp. I reckon the majority of the people who joined last year only did so cause I cold called them Smile

I dont have the time to do that at this stage, but maybe others might?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 am

VSDT NFL fantasy not up for this season yet so I'll get the league sorted as soon as its possible. Any luck recruiting more numbers?

Just paid my money now. I should be able to get another person to play as well, but Im not sure he will be keen until we have more numbers!

Also, Im hopeful we may be playing for an actual (small) cash prize on VSDT this year. I noticed that for the first time in a couple years their Super Rugby comp had a prize again, so hopefully they are planning on doing the same for the NFL!

Pacey's Best
    Pacey's Best

Post by Pacey's Best Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:03 pm

I sent an email to Sportsdeck NFL yesterday to see if they were going to run this competition again this year and if there will be any prizes and this is what they replied;

Hi,

Thank you for your email.
    The Dream Team NFL game will be launching soon and we'll email all of our past players once it's open for registrations.
    We don't have any prize information as yet, however, if there are prizes, they'll be listed on the website when it opens.

We'll have to wait and see but there is a chance that there might be some prizes.
    Pacey's Best
    Pacey's Best

Post by Pacey's Best Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm

I just checked to have a look and VSDT NFL is now open. There are prizes;

1st = $500
    2nd = $200
    3rd - 10th = $75

Eliminator = $200
    Thickshake
    Thickshake

Post by Thickshake Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 am

Good news!

Sorry had a crazy week, just the three payments in so far.

Me
    R & Tearin
    Russ

Pacey's Best
    Pacey's Best

Post by Pacey's Best Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Since there are actual prizes, I'm not sure it's worth it doing the cash comp this year since the numbers seem so low.
    What do we think?

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm