NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 Gold Coast Titans thread (back from the dead)

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2019 Gold Coast Titans thread (back from the dead) - Page 5 Empty Re: 2019 Gold Coast Titans thread (back from the dead)

Post by No Worries Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 am

To be fair you can only judge the latest incarnation and consortium on its own performance, not those who have gone before it. So if you we're kicking out the biggest failure, that would be the Warriors. 25 years an entire country as it's nursery for a duck egg. 1 appearance which is better remembered for Billy Idol.
    Krump
    Krump

2019 Gold Coast Titans thread (back from the dead) - Page 5 Empty Re: 2019 Gold Coast Titans thread (back from the dead)

Post by Krump Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 am

The Warriors have supporters though.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:52 am

It’s also two grand finals, not one.

Mental to talk about kicking out the GC when 9/16 teams are in Sydney through historical accident.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am

robelgordo wrote:It’s also two grand finals, not one.

Mental to talk about kicking out the GC when 9/16 teams are in Sydney through historical accident.

two is it ??? That kinda cements the fact.

But your right it has to come out of Sydney.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 pm

No Worries wrote:

two is it ??? That kinda cements the fact.

But your right it has to come out of Sydney.  

2002 and 2011
    MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Not enough talent for another Qld team or any other expansion team, piss off the GC and bring in a second Brisbane team
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 am

On a side note - how does the NBA and NFL relocate their teams fairly regularly - and still maintain support for that team?

E.g. The Rams moved from St Louis to LA and they still have packed stadiums
    The Raiders are about to move to Las Vegas

Do we think too much about it and how it hurts fans feelings???
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07 am

LA has a population of 4 million...
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 am

Krump wrote:LA has a population of 4 million...
    so does sydney

They were also just 2 examples of the many
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 am

Pieman wrote:
    so does sydney

They were also just 2 examples of the many
    It's not even remotely similar, LA has 2 football teams. Football is also truly national over there yet they still only average one team for every 10 million people. The NRL has 16 teams covering two states and NZ, even if you want to count Victoria which is a stretch thats 16 teams for 24 million people and you wonder why they have full stadiums and we don't.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm

I know its different lol

Filling of stadiums is just one of the aspects of the support though. Their teams relocate all the time and don't immediately die (across a variety of sports), which is what it seems we are afraid of in regards to relocating a team.

It seems like with the NRL, we are too worried about upsetting fans by relocating their team.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Pieman wrote:I know its different lol

Filling of stadiums is just one of the aspects of the support though. Their teams relocate all the time and don't immediately die (across a variety of sports), which is what it seems we are afraid of in regards to relocating a team.

It seems like with the NRL, we are too worried about upsetting fans by relocating their team.
    Because we don't have the demand for our product that the NFL has. Trying to compare the 2 is like comparing chalk and cheese without even getting into the different ownership models.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm

We do have the demand. Yes, not the $ or the population per capita but we still have the demand. Smaller scale - but the concerns would still be the same.

The biggest concern with any American team relocating would be losing fans - but because of the bigger population numbers, its less of a risk.

Why doesnt the NRL relocate e.g. the Dragons to e.g. the central coast? Because their biggest concern is not winning new fans and losing old fans.

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Pieman wrote:We do have the demand. Yes, not the $ or the population per capita

I think youll find we have the same population per capita that America has...
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm

ryno_ wrote:

I think youll find we have the same population per capita that America has...

Cool, thanks for clearing that up Smile
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Because the mindsets are very different, Australians wouldn't support something like relocation. I couldn't support a team that got relocated to Perth, they would need to be new. I want to be a part of creating new history not supporting a team that's moved.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am

Honeysett wrote:Because the mindsets are very different, Australians wouldn't support something like relocation. I couldn't support a team that got relocated to Perth, they would need to be new. I want to be a part of creating new history not supporting a team that's moved.

you might not, you already have an established team you follow.
    A lot of kids, fairweather fans, people looking for a team etc would though.

Personally, I think our game worries about losing existing fans too much in regards to relocating
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:31 am

The Titans are a clear victim of the Suns also going shithouse, plus they cop a bit of stigma from the previous GC teams.

But the fact is, GC has the 6th largest population in the country and sits within Rugby League heartland - thus it's an investment no brainer if you are the NRL.

Clearly, crowd figures aren't of any significance to the NRL, so this shouldn't be a factor.

And TBH having seen all the previous versions first hand over the years, the current team is firmly embedded in to community and I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon (unless someone from NRL hits the panic button unnecessarily).

Success will come eventually (and also wasn't too long ago) and this will further justify the investment.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:The Titans are a clear victim of the Suns also going shithouse, plus they cop a bit of stigma from the previous GC teams.

But the fact is, GC has the 6th largest population in the country and sits within Rugby League heartland - thus it's an investment no brainer if you are the NRL.

Clearly, crowd figures aren't of any significance to the NRL, so this shouldn't be a factor.

And TBH having seen all the previous versions first hand over the years, the current team is firmly embedded in to community and I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon (unless someone from NRL hits the panic button unnecessarily).

Success will come eventually (and also wasn't too long ago) and this will further justify the investment.

Why are the Titans a victim of the suns also going shit?

I agree there needs to be a side there/thereabouts - but what has been done in the past has clearly not worked there, ever, arguably in any sport. I dont think it will be relocated, and wouldnt even like seeing them relocated.
    Was just thinking about why aussies are so against it compared to the usa
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm

I think the city that loses a team isn't happy and never quite get over it. The comparisons to the US aren't quite fair as were only looking to move amongst 5 or 6 cities. The US has 100 to choose from. Its almost like saying would Dubbo support the Titans if they got moved there? Of course any national team based in bumfuckville would be supported by the locals.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 am