NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

James Roberts

Mr Fernando
    Mr Fernando

James Roberts - Page 5 Empty Re: James Roberts

Post by Mr Fernando Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:03 pm

yewww!

great news

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Honeysett wrote:

He wasn't anything at the time, only played a handful of first grade games. He had raw talent but was disposable to the Broncos at the time.

Gagai was being talked up as a future star & everyone & their dog saw that he had talent out the wazoo, the only time most other clubs let those guys go is when they do something illegal and have to bow to media pressure, he was only breaking the clubs rules & the media had no idea that was happening until after we'd booted him.

Same way for other incidents, We haven't had many in the last few years, but from my memory the times where we've disciplined players, the medias had to go digging after the fact... Not bad for a club that is basically tailed by the sports section of the courier mail 24/7
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:46 pm

surmo13 wrote:

Gagai was being talked up as a future star & everyone & their dog saw that he had talent out the wazoo, the only time most other clubs let those guys go is when they do something illegal and have to bow to media pressure, he was only breaking the clubs rules & the media had no idea that was happening until after we'd booted him.

Same way for other incidents, We haven't had many in the last few years, but from my memory the times where we've disciplined players, the medias had to go digging after the fact... Not bad for a club that is basically tailed by the sports section of the courier mail 24/7
    James Roberts - Page 5 Smsbl2_800_800_100807125603

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Krump wrote:
    James Roberts - Page 5 Smsbl2_800_800_100807125603

By all means, If you've got something from the last few years to prove my post wrong, skip the insults and post it, and don't bother going all the way back to certain star players in 2008, i said 'shorter leash', not 'no leash'...

All I'm saying is, if Roberts felt like he might want to get stupid on the juice at some point, we should have been last place on his list of the 3 that came knocking
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Could you provide examples of you having a short leash?

Lockyer drunkingly tackling a night club owner
    The toilet threesome
    They're two that spring to mind quickly, you can't dismiss that as nothing because it shows if you're a star player they're not doing anything.

If you're expendable you're made a scapegoat. Just like every other club. I'm not saying Broncos are worse than others but by no means are they any better. Canberra Raiders would be the only ones I would hold above anyone else. Dugan, Carney, Ferguson. All star players all booted from the club.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:01 pm

What does Roberts owe the Titans. Yes they signed him, and while I expect they weren't the only club willing to take a chance on him, so what if they were. They would have offered him less than he would of otherwise got if he was a clean skin. Without knowing what that contract amount was, have the Titans received value for money from Roberts? I'd say hell yes, and them some. Roberts and Elgey were basically the only shining lights for the Titans this year.

In fact do the Titans owe anything to Roberts? Well considering they forged his signature to lodge a contract, I'd say yes. They'd owe him a fair bit if they want him to stay. I'd need a fair bit more moula from my employer to stay if he'd forged my signature.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Honeysett wrote:Could you provide examples of you having a short leash?

The toilet threesome
    They're two that spring to mind quickly, you can't dismiss that as nothing because it shows if you're a star player they're not doing anything.

If you're expendable you're made a scapegoat. Just like every other club. I'm not saying Broncos are worse than others but by no means are they any better. Canberra Raiders would be the only ones I would hold above anyone else. Dugan, Carney, Ferguson. All star players all booted from the club.

You hold Canberra above everyone else because they sacked those guys on their upteenth warning? The Raiders board even acknowledged publically not all players are treated equally when they sacked Steve Irwin and not Tod Carney when it was actually Carney driving.

Pretty much all clubs are just as bad as the others (well within a reasonable range anyway), except for Cronulla, who are willing to brush away just about anything. It's just that some of the higher profile clubs have mountains made out of molehills. The toilet incident is one example, and another is Carney at the Roosters. He was sacked for having dinner at a pub with Nate Myles when by all accounts he was well behaved and all he did wrong was being photographed walking outside the pub.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:11 pm

We signed him and every single other club is jelly
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Dip wrote:

The toilet threesome

You hold Canberra above everyone else because they sacked those guys on their upteenth warning? The Raiders board even acknowledged publically not all players are treated equally when they sacked Steve Irwin and not Tod Carney when it was actually Carney driving.

Pretty much all clubs are just as bad as the others (well within a reasonable range anyway), except for Cronulla, who are willing to brush away just about anything. It's just that some of the higher profile clubs have mountains made out of molehills. The toilet incident is one example, and another is Carney at the  Roosters. He was sacked for having dinner at a pub with Nate Myles when by all accounts he was well behaved and all he did wrong was being photographed walking outside the pub.
    The fact they acknowledged it publically speaks volumes about how the club has dealt with their troubled players over the last few years.  Most clubs wouldn't do that, even though we know it.  The Raiders may not be perfect, but surely you would have to agree that they have been one of the best clubs for dealing with this shit.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Dane Gagai, Neville Costigan. Didn't Nick Kenny get 2 weeks from the club for a urination fine while he was a regular first grader? McCullough and Ben Hunt were stood down for drinking mid week a couple of years back when we were already injury depleted.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Bren wrote:We signed him and every single other club is jelly
    We still have Lovett to unleash his true potential at centre!
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:17 pm

SI wrote:
    The fact they acknowledged it publically speaks volumes about how the club has dealt with their troubled players over the last few years.  Most clubs wouldn't do that, even though we know it.  The Raiders may not be perfect, but surely you would have to agree that they have been one of the best clubs for dealing with this shit.

Actually I don't. I think the Raiders handle these situations pretty poorly because they allow these situations to get as bad as they do until they have no option but to sack them. I'm all for the boys will be boys opinion of punishing the serious issues and letting the little things slide, but look at what Carney did when he was with the Raiders. You can't say the Raiders took a strong stand by firing him when he should have been fired after previous incidents.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:38 pm

SI wrote:
    We still have Lovett to unleash his true potential at centre!

....You have Simona... You don't need another center.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Bren wrote:We signed him and every single other club is jelly

Put away the ugly stick, I'll be here all week, try the beef.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Of course star players have a mile long leash, that goes for all clubs, even the Raiders, those star players were given chance after chance after chance after chance by the club until they were given no choice but to boot them, If any of our star players on our roster were that big of a problem, I'm pretty confident we'd show them the door too.

As I said above, the club has had pretty cleanskin as of late, the only reports I've found are reed, Oates & Vidot being dropped last year for being out drinking late (no incidents to report), and McCullough & Hunt dropped for public nuisance in 2011, if we're going back that far, Nev Costigan & Brett Seymour were starting players sacked in the middle of our premiership season... And imo, in the day and age where scandals pop up on a pretty regular basis, if someone who hates the Broncos has to go all the way back to 2008 to try to prove their point, just maybe the club has been pretty damn effective at drilling it into our players that that shit will not be tolerated.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Your Name wrote:

Put away the ugly stick, I'll be here all week, try the beef.
    So the ugly stick is some sort of bogan intrustment? Or did your parents belt you when you were younger?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Ugly stick is slang for a fishing rod. Now it's a brand of fishing rods.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Your Name wrote:Ugly stick is slang for a fishing rod. Now it's a brand of fishing rods.

Must be terminology from the 50's or 60's. Happy Birthday you old geezer.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:44 am

Lol.  Late 80's to mid 90's mate, and anyone who was anyone owned at least 1. When at work you had to coin the phrase "I was using my Ugly Stik on the weekend" at least once per break.  They were top of the pile for quite a few years; now they are resigned to being sold in Kmart.  

Not unlike 26Red clothes and all forms of Dunlop footwear.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:36 am

SI wrote:Lol.  Late 80's to mid 90's mate, and anyone who was anyone owned at least 1. When at work you had to coin the phrase "I was using my Ugly Stik on the weekend" at least once per break.  They were top of the pile for quite a few years; now they are resigned to being sold in Kmart.  

Not unlike 26Red clothes and all forms of Dunlop footwear.
    I still wear Dunlop Volleys when playing squash. Cant go past them mate.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm