NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Pieman
    Pieman

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 32 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Nah, on the wing in rep teams - literally 85% of wingers could have done what he did on the end of that backline. Anyone with a non-maroon eye can see that.

Val homes did it and did it better in his short stints. Why are you talking about the centre he was outside of? The work comes from the Smith/Lockyer/Cronk/Slater/thurstons - then the centres, then the winger. He was lucky enough to be on the end of a backline that allowed him to score 5 tries in a game, and so on.

He was lucky enough to be around at a time when he could benefit from being outside those excellent players in rep teams. He was good enough to play his role nearly perfectly for a few years playing fullback for excellent teams. We all saw how shit he was for teams that were not great, and we all see how shit he is not when everything isnt laid out for him on a platter.

Imagine if boyd was playing fullback in the 09 eels?? fuckin LOL

The reason people can acknowledge that those other blokes were excellent, is because they were excellent. Its got nothing to do with supporting a winning team haha. Thats the difference lol. They were excellent players in shit or not amazing teams who carried their teams for periods of time (Hayne more so). Boyd has been a slightly above average player in excellent teams and is elite at what his role has been in those teams. No one would ever pick peak Boyd over a peak Hayne/Slater/Tedesco/Barba/Inglis and so on, and its as simple as that.

Yes, he has had a wonderful career. Its been said. But he has been a serviceable rep winger outside of immortals and an above average club fullback behind great teams. Very lucky player and he has done some things that no one else will be able to do, purely because of timing.

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights - Page 32 Empty Re: 2022 Brisbane Broncos Thread Top 13 in our sights

Post by No Worries Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Dip wrote:Lets be honest here, notwithstanding that Boyd has been shit all season and average at best last season. People who support teams that have been starved of success the last 15 years (eg Newcastle, Parramatta and NSW) have a pretty groggy memory of how things were, and probably due to success craving dillusions, seem to make up shit and can't be convinced otherwise. A bit like the people who think Andrew Johns was the greatest Origin halfback of all time despite only winning 7 of his 16 starts there, the stats just don't support their argument.

TLDR - How didn't the Tigers get a mention ?
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Dip wrote:Lets be honest here, notwithstanding that Boyd has been shit all season and average at best last season. People who support teams that have been starved of success the last 15 years (eg Newcastle, Parramatta and NSW) have a pretty groggy memory of how things were, and probably due to success craving dillusions, seem to make up shit and can't be convinced otherwise. A bit like the people who think Andrew Johns was the greatest Origin halfback of all time despite only winning 7 of his 16 starts there, the stats just don't support their argument.

Poor old Pieman also compares his achievements to what Valentine Holmes has done saying that Holmes scored all those tries outside an immortal (ie Inglis). This is the same Valentine Holmes who only scored 2 tries when on the wing outside of Inglis. No more than he scored outside Gagai (in twice as many matches) and half as many as he scored outside Chambers (in the same amount of matches).

The difference between these sort of people, and the people who don't need to stroke their ego by making up stuff to cover their own insecurities because they've supported winning teams (eg QLD supporters) is that people who support winning teams are comfortable enough giving credit where it is deserved, even if towards the end of their career they were solid players at best. Take Jarryd Hayne for instance. His stint at the Titans and second stint at Parra and NSW were not fantastic, but almost all QLDers are prepared to acknowledge that for quite a few years Hayne was one hell of a player. Same story with guys like Akuila Uate (but for a much shorter time frame).

So that said, lets look at the facts:
    1. Made his NRL debut as an 18 year old. Despite being in a star studded team that ultimately won the premiership, he was a regular in the team playing 27 times in his first season, and played more than a third of the regular season at Fullback in a team that contained Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges at fullback that year.
    2. RLPA Rookie of the Year
    3. Two time premiership player
    4. Clive Churchill Medallist
    5. RLPA Player of the Year
    6. Ron Macauliffe Medalist
    7. 28 State of Origins, including 9 series wins
    8. 2nd most tries scored all time in origin
    9. 23 tests for Australia (almost 40% of them at Fullback, where only once did a team get within 2 converted tries)
    10. Winningest test player ever with a 23-0-0 record.
    11. World Cup Winner
    12. Over 300 NRL Games, Over 360 Games when rep and WCC included
    13. World Club Champion

The guy has one of the best resume's ever in Rugby League. Was he one of the all time greats? No, but for those who say a dozen others could do what he did, the simple answer is "but they didn't".

Like I said,great career resume that can never be taken away from him, absolutely good for him, I'm not saying he hasn't had a superb career that he can look back on and be very proud of, but also absolutely kissed on the dick. When you think of players you just want to watch,who you just go "wow, at his peak he Was just insanely awesome and I'd pay Top dollar to see him" Boyd will just never ever enter the equation. That's got nothing to do with my Parra or NSW goggles on,that's just a fact.

If you were writing something for Boyds tombstone it would be be along the lines of....

Great career resume, Good Player, shit bloke.

maybe you could leave of that last part off if you wanted to be generous.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Show me the highlight reels. That will tell the story of who flopped and who created. It's like comparing 3rd man Pieday with Lazarus, because someone chose to give Pieday an award.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 am

No Worries wrote:

Lucky qld were successful because the broncos have has zero ultimate success since 2006 lol
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am

No Worries wrote:

NRL Teams should win on average one premiership every 16 years, so the Broncos and Tigers are still more successful than average in the last 16 years. Very Happy
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 am

Liberal use of the term "Master of the NRL", but here's a highlight package with far more creating than finishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onf9UDtS-t0

At a time where everyone wants a fullback who can ball play, he's probably had easily more try assists in the last 10 years than any other fullback. Some of those try assists are mint.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 am

Wow, that's his "highlights package"? I stopped watching after 3 minutes. As Pieman said, can read a 3 on 2 like nobodies business and a richly rewarded career. Nobody disputing it. But in 20 years, he won't be in a whole lot of conversations that start "remember when...." or "whatabout so and so, freak". But oftheco go starts "Luckiest to be surrounded by......." he is absolutely top of the list.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 am

Darius has never lost a game for Australia 23-0! It's quite remarkable really, and he obviously has a great record with Qld at 19-9, so it's quite interesting that his finals record is only 12-12 and 50%. Makes you wonder just how important he was in those rep sides.

And when he was in a side without much depth, for a couple of years, his win loss percentage ispretty much the same as Hayne. His St George Grand final winning side had 15 rep players in it and he did his job really well, but compare that sideto the losing 2009 Eels sidethat knocked St Georgeout,i mean really, after losing 37-0 the week before the Eels had absolutely no right to even be in the game.

Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:23 am

Ice wrote:Darius has never lost a game for Australia 23-0! It's quite remarkable really, and he obviously has a great record with Qld at 19-9, so it's quite interesting that his finals record is only 12-12 and 50%. Makes you wonder just how important he was in those rep sides.

And when he was in a side without much depth, for a couple of years, his win loss percentage ispretty much the same as Hayne. His St George Grand final winning side had 15 rep players in it and he did his job really well, but compare that sideto the losing 2009 Eels sidethat knocked St Georgeout,i mean really, after losing 37-0 the week before the Eels had absolutely no right to even be in the game.

The Eels did have no right to be in that game. If every team that the cheating Storm played that year were awarded 2 points in the regular season, the Eels would have finished 9th.

And that was a fantastic team. The great Tim Mannah and his fast play the balls couldn't even make the starting side.

Also that's a weird analogy about importance to rep sides. Hayne won 91% of the time for Australia but under 44% in club land. He was an important part of those rep sides though. Everyone who starts for their country is. Interesting that you compare Boyd when he wasn't surrounded by stars as similar to Hayne though. I consider Hayne a much better player (for most of his career anyway).
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 am

And finally (before I actually have to do some work), comparing highlights reels is an interesting way of measuring someone's ability. Isaac Luke and Shaun Berrigan probably have a better highlight reel than Cameron Smith. Andrew Fafita's would be be better than Shane Webke's or Glen Lazarus'. Nathan Merritt's would be better than Brett Morris and Dale Shearer's. Gavin Cooper's would be better than Nathan Hindmarsh's. Matt Bowen, Phil Blake and Ben Barba would have close to the best ever highlights package.

Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Dip wrote:

The Eels did have no right to be in that game. If every team that the cheating Storm played that year were awarded 2 points in the regular season, the Eels would have finished 9th.

And that was a fantastic team. The great Tim Mannah and his fast play the balls couldn't even make the starting side.

Also that's a weird analogy about importance to rep sides. Hayne won 91% of the time for Australia but under 44% in club land. He was an important part of those rep sides though. Everyone who starts for their country is. Interesting that you compare Boyd when he wasn't surrounded by stars as similar to Hayne though. I consider Hayne a much better player (for most of his career anyway).

Point being, Eels simply wouldn't have been there if Boyd was our starting FB instead of Hayne.

Agree Boyd was an important part, just how Important is the question.

Re the comparison, I guess what I'm saying is, and I'm not sure why cause everyone knows Hayne is better, it's not really a debate. Is that Boyd never really had the ability to be THE main man. Hayne was stuck in mediocre teams his whole career always being expected to do what he did in 2009. Anyway, I've moved on from Hayne, he is a sex pest,I don't even like talking about him. Crossed eyed God squad knob that he is.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Dip wrote:And finally (before I actually have to do some work), comparing highlights reels is an interesting way of measuring someone's ability. Isaac Luke and Shaun Berrigan probably have a better highlight reel than Cameron Smith. Andrew Fafita's would be be better than Shane Webke's or Glen Lazarus'. Nathan Merritt's would be better than Brett Morris and Dale Shearer's. Gavin Cooper's would be better than Nathan Hindmarsh's. Matt Bowen, Phil Blake and Ben Barba would have close to the best ever highlights package.

I accept your point, I certainly never said it was an indicator, just that Boyds was boring, but please, Coopers reel better than the great Hindy, you're having a laff!
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:58 pm

The highlights reel was boring as fuck, and yep - as I have said many times - he is one of the best if not the best ever at the 3 on 2 out the back. Absolutely amazing at his role, but never/very rarely the best player in a team.

Whilst Boyd does have a big sample size, Geez there wouldnt be many Aussie players over the last 10 years who have a winning percentage of under 90%... ??

Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Don't know exactly but Australia has lost 20% of their last 20 tests, so it's probably more than you think.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 pm

how does any self-respecting team drop a game to a team who spend half the game playing with no halves and 3 hookers?! Sharks should be forced to relocate to Perth for that effort alone...

nice to finally see blokes wearing the jersey actually having a dig, scrappiness aside - as for the rookie wingers, Herbie was quiet but solid, for his build i was impressed with his hit-ups when we were pinned on our line, made great metres often and looked like slipping through a couple times, Coates spent the first 10 minutes looking like an absolute superstar and the next 70 tempering those expectations, he looked lost in defence when the sharks were attacking, though Shiba wasn't exactly helping make life any easier for him.

Pangai was at his destructive best, had a song and dance in the post-game about having no excuses after securing his future at the club and having his mum move up to Brissy, so hopefully he finally keeps the switch flicked on.

and finally, kudos to Boyd and Macca for putting in good games, though the cynic in me thinks they might be one-offs to put the pitchforks away and get back on good graces before reverting to status quo until it's time to unlock the toolshed all over again.

Next 3 games are against the Warriors, Bulldogs & Titans, no reason not to win all 3 if this team wants to play footy, but i've read this story enough times over these last 2 seasons to know that is a giant 'IF'

EDIT: oh, and one more thing, if Siebs could at some point find a way to give me a look at 1.Milf 6.SOS 7.Dearden 9. Turpin at some point this season, that would be much appreciated.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:17 am

Hey guys, been away fishing.....is it safe to come back and post yet?
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 am

At least for the next 2 days
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:48 am

No Worries wrote:At least for the next 2 days

That should time in well as I have a potential trip away to watch my fake son's boxing match this coming Thursday.

Should be able to confirm by Wednesday evening if the trip is on or not.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 am

surmo13 wrote:EDIT: oh, and one more thing, if Siebs could at some point find a way to give me a look at 1.Milf 6.SOS 7.Dearden 9. Turpin at some point this season, that would be much appreciated.

I'm still on the fence about wehether Milford to fb is the right move, but I'm willing to give it a go. I'd be happy to see that spine get some time together.

Despite not being perfect, SOS really started to find his game lately, real shame he picked up an injury.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:36 pm