NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Dip

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Dip Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am

There is no doubt that according to Wayne Bennett, no-one believes anyone can coach the Broncos better than Wayne Bennett (a lot like Alex Ferguson I imagine). I also think that Bennett will want to coach until he is no longer physically able to, even if he is well into his 70's - a bit like a farmer who refuses to give up farming.

There is no doubt that this means that if he is not sacked eventually, he'll end up coaching too long, but geez, lets make that call at the end of a season not 5 games in. As OSM says, he coached a team to the prelim final last season, basically never misses finals for the last 35 years, and a few months ago got England within a converted try winning the World Cup.

You can say the same about, for example, the QLD State of origin team. At some stage the likes of Smith, Slater, GI, JT & Cronk will play 1 season too long if they don't retire. But you know what? They've built up so many credits that they deserve to be kept until they've played too long, because if you make that call too early you risk missing out on some very productive years. It would have been so easy after 2014 to say they've been there too long, had their run and it's time to replace them, but then we probably wouldn't have the 3 in a row from 2015 (and counting).
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am

Jeez theres some BS in here, they'll still make the finals FOR SURE.
    The comments regarding Bennett having lost the players are interesting though, where are they coming from?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:52 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Meh. Id rather interviews have a bit of personality about them. It was a personal attack, sure, but the NRL can't step in and fine everybody who has a go at someone else. If he was attacking the integrity of the game/league or something, thats a different matter but if its just 2 blokes who dont like each other having a dig, its not the NRLs concern. They can't force everyone to get along and they shouldnt try to sanitise every interview.

Lockys joke about the StG winning 11 with 1 Raper is still the peak of sledges and he didnt get anything more then a raised eyebrow for saying that. Play on.

You've quite clearly misinterpreted my point Ryno.

I have no interest in sanitising the post match interviews, in fact I thoroughly enjoy when a coach is clearly pissed off about some average calls and says what they (and the average punter) is thinking.

I don't agree with the NRL being so sensitive in that regard.....but the fact is they are; and that's what makes this such a double standard.

I also draw the line at what Brown did and think it was pretty fucking ordinary form for a bloke that I did previously have a bit of respect for.
    The media is pretty quick to hammer any cricketers who cross the line with a personal sledge but applaud the same thing when the bloke being slandered just happens to be someone they have a grudge against.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm

brown overstepped, it was pretty funny but if it was a guy that the general public didn't like (like wayne for example) saying, they would cop a much bigger back lash, i don't really care about wayne in this instance more that it is certainly a comment that could affect in wayne's family and i'm not sure head coaches should be doing anything that does that publicly.

i do think wayne was being a cunt towards brown tho, maybe the newcastle media and fans have blamed wayne for to long but nathan brown didn't seem to ever publicly blame him, so why use the media as a platform to push blame on to brown publicly when you're generally so against that type of rubbish ?

Dip

Post by Dip Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:33 pm

So this is what Bennett said:

“He [Brown] has done a good job there, but we didn’t leave it in bad shape,” Bennett said on Friday.

When pushed on what Brown had done well since taking over the Knights in 2016, Bennett said: “I’m not sure yet … well he unbuilt it, so I suppose if you unbuild it, the next thing you’ve got to do is rebuild it."

What does everyone take out of that? I'm not sure if there was more said that Brown took offence to. The "I'm not sure yet" part is a bit condescending, but I don't think I have a problem with anything else.

“That’s what he’s done. They’ve lost a lot of players in the last two years, three years, however long Nathan has been there.”
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

leaguegod wrote: so why use the media as a platform to push blame on to brown publicly when you're generally so against that type of rubbish ?

for the same reason he always says things to the media - to deflect attention away from his players.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Dip wrote:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That's all I hear from Newcastle fans generally (well 95% of the time anyway).

Paul Crawley on NRL360 last night hit the nail on the head. They blame back ended contracts - who? Did the backend contract the reason they went from 4-0 in 2015 to the wooden spoon? Bennett put in place the junior and schoolboy system which is now resulting in some solid first grade prospects. I admit I forgot about Rick Stone being coach rather than Brown in 2015, but Crawley is right. It's now 2018. Bennett hasn't been coach since 2014. When are people going to stop using him as the scape goat for problems in the Newy organisation? As Crawley said, on the 15th of each month most people in the club weren't getting paid as they were supposed to. Is it no wonder people didn't want to go or stay at the club, and the culture was bad (something that Bennett was well on the way to fixing)? As an employer I always tell my staff that the day they don't get paid is the day they shouldn't turn up. And I won't be mad at them, I'll be mad at me for not paying them.

Thats prob coz u are a brizzy fan and ask them.
    Do newcastle fans like bennett? generally, prob not. A we over it? IMO, generally, fukin oath. Especially now that we have gotten past the loaded contracts and we have had a smidgeon of success in 18'.
    Bennett didnt put in place that stuff, he helped put in place. It was all already in development before he got there. Did he help? absolutely.
    He hasnt been the coach since about half way through 2014, he tucked tail, admitted he couldnt do the job and "Sacked Himself". Quote.
    Of course the pay issues were widely reported. They would 100% affect performance, Tinkler is as much or more to blame than anyone.

If bennett had left the club in good shape, Brown wouldnt have had to clear out all the dead weight and rebuild. Brown left the Dragons in brilliant shape and they go on to win a comp. Brown gets no credit for that either.

What bennett has done, again, is masterful. Even on here he has got us talking about other shit rather than the team he has on the park and their results.

Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Pieman wrote:

What bennett has done, again, is masterful. Even on here he has got us talking about other shit rather than the team he has on the park and their results.

The master of it. It’s like watching Smith referee a game
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Out of curiosity, who had these back ended contracts to which you refer?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm

its prob more the large contracts
    beau scott
    gagai
    uate
    sims
    snowden
    jeremy smith
    pretty sure he signed tariq sims before he quit too, to a disgusting contract

and fuck knows what other large contracts
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

@Oz Sport Mad At the risk of breaking the endless circle jerk between Broncos and Knights fans. I'd like to focus on your over exuberant analysis of Bennett's achievements as England coach. Is it possible that the reason behind the Broncos poor start to the season? Was he otherwise occupied and didn't put in as the Broncos coach as he would have other off seasons ? Despite your expert opinion lets ignore those questions and focus on, What was the Broncos start to the year like when Bennett was Australian coach ? Do they bear any resemblance to this year ?
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:16 pm

No Worries wrote:@Oz Sport Mad At the risk of breaking the endless circle jerk between Broncos and Knights fans. I'd like to focus on your over exuberant analysis of Bennett's achievements as England coach. Is it possible that the reason behind the Broncos poor start to the season?  Was he otherwise occupied and didn't put in as the Broncos coach as he would have other off seasons ? Despite your expert opinion lets ignore those questions and focus on, What was the Broncos start to the year like when Bennett was Australian coach ? Do they bear any resemblance to this year ?

As a Broncos fan, was I rapt when Bennett took on the Poms role? Fuck no.

But as a Rugby League fan who misses the days of International League being the pinnacle of the game....I was (and am) happy that he is trying to do his bit and would appear to be having some success (at least based on the last World Cup).

Quite possibly that doesn't help my club team but it's a long bow to draw saying that is the reason for the (relatively) slower start.

To answer your question, our start to 2006 wasn't amazing......but we won the comp that year.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:
    To answer your question, our start to 2006 wasn't amazing......but we won the comp that year.

i thought they started that season pretty good, were in the top 4 (might have even been top 2 with melbourne?) before origin and then had an awful couple of months at the mid point before bouncing back

the mid season slump was a pretty consistent thing for Brisbane back then but seem particularly bad that year before they turned ir around
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 am

leaguegod wrote:

i thought they started that season pretty good, were in the top 4 (might have even been top 2 with melbourne?) before origin and then had an awful couple of months at the mid point before bouncing back

the mid season slump was a pretty consistent thing for Brisbane back then but seem particularly bad that year before they turned ir around

We were 2 and 2 which is also what we were before last weekend - not poor but not amazing.

Fairly certain it's an omen we are going to win the comp this year....

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 am

I’ve just watched a replay of last week’s embarrassing loss by the Bonzos. Just re-affirms my belief. Spoon coming up.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am

B/L wrote:David Fifita is a young backrower coming through who is an absolute unit.

Haas Carrigan & Fifita should all be in the side next year but im losing confidence in Wayne.

Fifita is a little while off, still playing mal meninga cup (u18s) at the moment.

Haas and Carrigan are the two best prospects for NRL in the near future. Carrigan is a little under the radar but very highly rated and playing well in Q Cup.

We also have two very highly rated halves coming through Corey Paix and Tanah Boyd - both a couple of years off at this stage though.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

Dip wrote:So this is what Bennett said:

“He [Brown] has done a good job there, but we didn’t leave it in bad shape,” Bennett said on Friday.

When pushed on what Brown had done well since taking over the Knights in 2016, Bennett said: “I’m not sure yet … well he unbuilt it, so I suppose if you unbuild it, the next thing you’ve got to do is rebuild it."

What does everyone take out of that? I'm not sure if there was more said that Brown took offence to. The "I'm not sure yet" part is a bit condescending, but I don't think I have a problem with anything else.

“That’s what he’s done. They’ve lost a lot of players in the last two years, three years, however long Nathan has been there.”

Imagine you walk into a job that's in disarray. You've got guys who are getting paid shitloads to do not much and you've got to make some incredibly hard choices without ruining the fibre of the workplace. You've had to tell family men they don't have a job anymore and sorry you're better off elsewhere. Then when you've finally got the work place on the right track the old boss who left your business in this mess along with the ex owner starts claiming some of that success and says you tore down all the good stuff he did. You'd be fucking annoyed that this dick bag is laying claim to your success especially when you saw how bad it was.

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Imagine you walk into a job that's in disarray. You've got guys who are getting paid shitloads to do not much and you've got to make some incredibly hard choices without ruining the fibre of the workplace. You've had to tell family men they don't have a job anymore and sorry you're better off elsewhere. Then when you've finally got the work place on the right track the old boss who left your business in this mess along with the ex owner starts claiming some of that success and says you tore down all the good stuff he did. You'd be fucking annoyed that this dick bag is laying claim to your success especially when you saw how bad it was.

Only an idiot of Pieman's calibre would read into Bennett's comments and get an impression similar to the above.

Particularly when it was blatantly obvious Bennett's comments were in defence of the constant assertion (despite Pieman's denials) that he left the place in disarray.

Again, the initial quote was:

“He [Brown] has done a good job there, but we didn’t leave it in bad shape”

A normal person would be deadset chuffed and thankful that the best coach to ever have donned a whistle and picked up a clipboard, has given them credit.

Maybe if anything Bennett could be accused of being a bit overprotective of the blokes that were let go when they pushed him about what Browny had done well......but big deal, that's been Bennett's thing since he started coaching and if Browny can't handle that he is in the wrong game.
    At least the 'criticism' was League related and not a personal attack.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:06 pm

He then went on to say that Brown unbuilt the club.

Saying something before hand doesn't excuse you're not words.

That's like saying "I'm not racist, but...."
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Honeysett wrote:He then went on to say that Brown unbuilt the club.

Saying something before hand doesn't excuse you're not words.

That's like saying "I'm not racist, but...."

Yep you are right, it doesn't excuse it at all - if that were the case....which it isn't.

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:51 am