NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin 2017 Series

Moose
    Moose

State of Origin 2017 Series - Page 26 Empty Re: State of Origin 2017 Series

Post by Moose Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Ice wrote:Maybe we need to redefine "upset". I don't classify a team winning a first past the post as an upset. Who did they upset, which single team got upset?  I see an upset as one team beating another team or person v person in a single contest or series.

I accept 100% @ 5000/1, Leicester was the biggest long shot to win a sporting contest that I can recall, no ifs buts or maybe there, but I don't personally classify it as an "upset" in the traditional sense of the word.

First you said NSW beating QLD this coming week would be the biggest upset in sport since 2014, then you narrowed it down to only include team sports to suit your own agenda. Now you want to "redefine upset" where you now include individual sports? If that is the case can we now also include the individual achievements of Joseph Schooling defeating Michael Phelps in the Olympic 100m butterfly final, Angelique Kerber defeating Serena Williams in the Australian Open final and Danny Willett winning the US Masters (Odds were $151 before the first tee)?

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm so nervous about this game - if we're 5% off our game we're going to get blown off the park.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 am

Honeysett wrote:I'm so nervous about this game - if we're 5% off our game we're going to get blown off the park.

I was sitting here running that through my head, trying to figure out:
    a: if you were serious
    b: if so, why

and it occurred to me that it doesn't matter.

For the first time in a while, both sides are genuinely concerned, and with good reason on bother sides of the fence.

That's the Origin I like. Nerves, not a foregone conclusion. This year has a completely different feel about it, notwithstanding the hyperbole from down south about NSW having no chance whilst the Big 3 are running around.

No better way for NSW to announce the end of the Dynasty than to do it up here. No better way for legends to retire, than to see off the new breed of Blues firebrands that brought the fury in Game 1 and claim one more win.

Either way, this really is going to be a line in the sand for QLD, which is a bit sad, to tell the truth.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 am

The only real reason to be nervous about the game is if you have outlayed a large sum of money on a bet. The fact that either side can win on Wednesday night is exciting IMO. Shame both sides won't be at full strength though.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Geez @Moose is all over you with these arguments @Ice !! haha

I'll be at the game on wed, im disappointed that JT wont be playing. Have not seen him play live since he was at the bulldogs so spewing he is out.

Should be an awesome night tho
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Quietly confident leading into this game that NSW will win. Loaded up on NSW when they were @ $2.15. Mitch Pearce to finally get the monkey off his back to shut up his haters. Giddy up.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:15 pm

I too hope that pearce comes out and has a blinder and becomes NSW's halfback. Would fucking love for him to come out and dominate the game, put his past performances behind him and play a great game. Would absolutely love it.

If he doesnt play well, the guy's origin career should, and rightfully, be over.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Moose wrote:Quietly confident leading into this game that NSW will win. Loaded up on NSW when they were @ $2.15. Mitch Pearce to finally get the monkey off his back to shut up his haters. Giddy up.

I got $3 1-12 & $6.50 13+ the morning before the Thurston announcement.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 pm

No Worries wrote:

I got $3 1-12 & $6.50 13+ the morning before the Thurston announcement.
    Yeah I placed a 1-12 bet a few days after the game among others.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Moose wrote:

First you said NSW beating QLD this coming week would be the biggest upset in sport since 2014, then you narrowed it down to only include team sports to suit your own agenda. Now you want to "redefine upset" where you now include individual sports? If that is the case can we now also include the individual achievements of Joseph Schooling defeating Michael Phelps in the Olympic 100m butterfly final, Angelique Kerber defeating Serena Williams in the Australian Open final and Danny Willett winning the US Masters (Odds were $151 before the first tee)?

Please show me where I was the instigator of it going from sport to only nlcude team?
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Ice wrote:
    Please show me where I was the instigator of it going from sport to only nlcude team?
    I don't want to have to post all of the below however since you asked I will do so. It does appear there has been miscommunication somewhere along the line, which is fine - it happens. So let me explain...

You first stated that it would be the biggest upset in sport since 2014.

Ice wrote:With Slater, Cronk and Smith in the side they should win by plenty, no doubt about it. Will be the biggest upset in sport since 2014 if NSW win.

Moose wrote:No it won't lol!

This is the original comment I disagreed with. The reason why I disagreed with this comment is because sport refers to both individuals and teams competing against another.

Meaning of sport

In your next post you then narrowed it down to only include team sports and not individuals, which doesn't make sense as sport refers to both individuals and teams competing against another.

Ice wrote:

Name a bigger one!

a team (not individuals)

You then continued on with this

Ice wrote:Forget the individuals you mention, none of them are valid

Even though your original comment (the one I disagreed with) said sport. Sport means both individual and teams competing against another.

You then tried to "redefine upset" to include individual sports after you originally narrowed it down to only include team sports.

Ice wrote:Maybe we need to redefine "upset". I see an upset as one team beating another team or person v person in a single contest or series.

See what I mean? Clearly a miscommunication in there. Which is fine like I said, it happens.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 am

Ahhh, I see where you've become confused. Sorry that that has occurred, and I can see how you've made the mistake, but I was never talking about individuals, that's the reality of it.

Anyway, still, it's GOING to be a massive upset and in my view the biggest since 2014, people don't need to agree with that, everyone is entitled to be wrong....I mean have a different opinion, that's what I love about a forum like this.

Go the BLUES, we can agree on that yeah Moose?
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 am

Just on the "redefine upset" comment, I wasn't trying to move the goalposts there, my genuine intent was to explain what I meant by upset, which really was about one particular event/game/contest, whatever you want to call it. My original comment about the magnitude didn't mean to allude to a team winning a particular league, but Again, i can see how it was interpreted that way and I was just trying to clarify and concede I may have unwittingly confused some.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 am

Ice wrote:Ahhh,  I see where you've become confused. Sorry that that has occurred, and I can see how you've made the mistake, but I was never talking about individuals, that's the reality of it.

Anyway, still, it's GOING to be a massive upset and in my view the biggest since 2014, people don't need to agree with that, everyone is entitled to be wrong....I mean have a different opinion, that's what I love about a forum like this.

Go the BLUES, we can agree on that yeah Moose?
    Please explain where I have become confused? You must be confused as it is not I who made the mistake, rather it is yourself. I saw where you made the mistake and pointed it out to you in the above post. I'm sorry to have done so in a blunt manner but you failed to grasp your original mistake therefore I felt compelled to correct you.

Last edited by Moose on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 am

Ice wrote:Just on the "redefine upset" comment, I wasn't trying to move the goalposts there, my genuine intent was to explain what I meant by upset, which really was about one particular event/game/contest, whatever you want to call it. My original comment about the magnitude didn't mean to allude to a team winning a particular league, but Again, i can see how it was interpreted that way and I was just trying to clarify and concede I may have unwittingly confused some.
    No, you unsuccessfully tried to move the goalposts much earlier in the piece as explained above. I can see you are failing to grasp your original mistake therefore you have resorted to trying to move on without accepting the error. That is fine, just as long as you admit that NSW winning tomorrow night will not be the biggest upset in sport since 2014. We can both agree on that can't we?
    Spectre
    Spectre

Post by Spectre Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 am

NSW winning wouldn't even be an upset

This whole discussion is nonsense.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:11 am

Spectre wrote:NSW winning wouldn't even be an upset

I agree, it is rather silly isn't it. I did wish to communicate where we disagreed however. What's that old saying? Never wrestle a pig; you will both get dirty, and the pig likes it. That saying very much applies here.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 am

Check out the Telstra Fans of Origin bot on Facebook and share via your social network which team you will be supporting!

How to use the bot

To test your State of Origin team allegiance:

On desktop:

1.Go to the Telstra Fans of Origin Facebook page
    2.Click 'send message'
    3.The messenger bot will activate!
    On mobile:

1.Open Facebook messenger.
    2.Send a message to ‘Telstra Fans of Origin’
    3.The messenger bot will reply!

State of Origin 2017 Series - Page 26 19987391_1802550770055639_1681074460_n

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Spectre wrote:NSW winning wouldn't even be an upset

100x this:

- The blues have been betting favourites for all three games.
    - This queensland outfit is as vunerable as it's been since we started this run, constant injury disruptions since round 1 and fielded 8 debutants this series + Gavin Cooper who hasn't got a full series under his belt
    - That comes at a time when the Blues have been disruption-free and able to field their best 17 for the entire series

If Queensland win this series it will easily be their greatest triumph of the past 10 years, and the Blues most disastrous series loss over the same period, bigger than any 3-0 loss they've taken because it was clear to anyone watching that those teams weren't good enough, this one has outplayed Queensland in 3 of the 4 halves of football played to this point, and if they can't get the job from here when Queensland are at their weakest, this dynasty could carry on for another 5 years.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm

The biggest upset since QLD's golden era started was QLD's series win in 2006.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:09 am