NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 29 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by MilfordTheMagician Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:14 am

OK maybe not more but Wallace only has 5 career tries and Sims has 4 this year.
    Pieman
    Pieman

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 29 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Pieman Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:38 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:Losing Wallace hurt and I was pissed off but Sims has done a decent job so far and is a try scoring threat, Wallace is not. Sims already has more tries this season than Wallace has in his career.

I get your point mate but scoring tries is prob one of the last things I want me starting prop to be good at
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:49 pm

I'll take a try wherever they come from.

I'm also happy with Sims. Would have liked to keep Wallace, but it would have been nice if showed that sort of determination whilst he was playing for us.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:56 pm

so..... Benji, huh? What a dreadful signing Laughing just imagine all the valuable contribution we could've gotten from a no-name rookie that his min-wage contract replaced
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Every time I see him, he's got a smile on his face. Obviously enjoying his time up here.

I can't remember having depths in the halves - it's a weird feeling.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Newcastle "raid"

Good grab on Esesesesesee. Moga? Fair enough. I thought he was doing well enough to keep his spot, but won't be a body blow to our backline, that's for sure.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Totally agree - He could be an excellent winger, but far out he does not know how to set his winger up for a try
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm

I think that'll come. With age and injury he still hasn't played a lot of top level senior footy. I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett has given him the simple "run first" philosophy to keep his game uncomplicated. He is huge, and too often we see big guys who you just want to see run hard try to beat players with the pass. T Rex and Dave Taylor spring to mind.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 am

Herman is a loss, Moga is not. Raid him all you like lol. On Herman - he has potential and I would have liked to see him stay but I'm not hugely disappointed about him leaving.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 am

Dip wrote:I think that'll come. With age and injury he still hasn't played a lot of top level senior footy. I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett has given him the simple "run first" philosophy to keep his game uncomplicated. He is huge, and too often we see big guys who you just want to see run hard try to beat players with the pass. T Rex and Dave Taylor spring to mind.

He's huge but he doesn't play huge, i don't even have to leave the team to find an example, it comes in the shape of the man he refuses to give the ball in Oates - Even if the backline sweeps don't create the intended overlap, he is still plenty capable of powering through would-be defenders to score tries, then there's Moga, who has the build to able to be exactly the same thing close to the tryline, but all too frequently just ends up either stopped short of the line or held-up.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Not a lot of love around these parts for old mate Moga!

I think he's been great and probs a bit unfair to pinpoint a few held ups and bombed try's.

For mine I think Oatesy (who I love BTW) has been a bit down on confidence this season and regardless I would have thought most of the tries he scored last season were off passes from Darius or Milf, rather than his inside centre.
    Can't blame Moga for that.

As we have seen with BHunt, the bottom line is you can't keep everyone.
    Nothing to do with if they are wanted or not....sometimes they are just wanted more by others.

The pleasing thing for mine and why I am confident our club will continue to be successful, is that it appears we are still employing the Bennett approach of not bending over backwards for individuals and investing in our young blokes or backing our ability to re-motivate decent players who aren't wanted elsewhere.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 pm

In recent history, outside of Benji.. who does this apply to? Possibly Moga and even Blair is a further stretch??

Usually its Brisbane playing their own juniors, or poaching fucking awesome young guys to come and play.

Its Melbourne who turns average players into superstars, not Brisbane.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Korbin Sims, Adam Blair, and Darius Boyd are all playing much better football than they were for their previous club. So pretty much everyone they've bought apart from Mead.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am

Dip wrote:Korbin Sims, Adam Blair, and Darius Boyd are all playing much better football than they were for their previous club. So pretty much everyone they've bought apart from Mead.

Milf and Roberts are also playing better in Brisbane then before moving. & Broncos turned Reed into a test player after Raiders ditched him.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:backing our ability to re-motivate decent players who aren't wanted elsewhere.

Yeah, I am not disputing that some players go there and become better players. Lots of players go to other clubs and play good or better footy elsewhere tho.

That's not what Oz said though. Oz said "players who aren't wanted elsewhere". Rarely do the bronco's sign blokes who aren't wanted elsewhere. Generally, they sign very good young players.

Roberts and Milf were wanted by their current clubs. Sims was poached mid contract, he was not unwanted.
    Was Moga unwanted by the Cowboys? Possibly? Not sure.
    Boyd - yeah I agree he wasn't wanted at the Knights but he is a bit different considering he only plays under bennett. He had his meltdown in Newcastle, wasn't getting paid, wasn't playing good footy, missed half a season, and wanted out of the contract. So it went both ways.
    Blair was still a NZ rep at the time wasn't he, I remember he wasn't playing great footy but whether he was wanted or not by the tigers, Im not sure.

Melbourne is the team that takes players who are unwanted and turns them into genuinely decent footy players within their system.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 am

Pieman wrote:
    Roberts and Milf were wanted by their current clubs.

Was Moga unwanted by the Cowboys? Possibly? Not sure.

Blair was still a NZ rep at the time wasn't he, I remember he wasn't playing great footy but whether he was wanted or not by the tigers, Im not sure.

Roberts was so wanted at GC that they wouldn't pay peanuts for his legal fees after _they_ forged _his_ signature on a contract. I reckon Titans would refuse to pay my legal fees aswell - does that make me wanted by an NRL club? Very in demand. So hot right now.

Moga played 1 game between Anzac Day 2015 and the end of 2016 so its pretty fair to say he was unwanted.

Blair was playing terrible footy on massive coin. The definition of unwanted. Also in an era where they ditched almost their whole roster to Cronulla.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:47 am

ryno_ wrote:

Roberts was so wanted at GC that they wouldn't pay peanuts for his legal fees after _they_ forged _his_ signature on a contract. I reckon Titans would refuse to pay my legal fees aswell - does that make me wanted by an NRL club? Very in demand. So hot right now.

Complete myth - total media cover up. He's bad behaviour didn't start at the Bronco's and the Titans had just been dragged through it's own "snow white" fairy tale. Another similar story and all of a sudden it's a culture and your known as the Gold Coast Railers. So how do you explain not even offering a young superstar a contract extension ??

Here's an article of his manager talking shit. But note Bird's comments and read between the lines

Titans teammate Greg Bird telling reporters in Sydney yesterday it had been used as a “scapegoat’’.

“I’m pretty sure (the forgery drama) had nothing to do with Jimmy wanting to leave,” Bird said.

“If he wanted to leave, he would have got out whether he had those contract problems or not.”

Sounds like someone being pushed out to me.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/father-figure-bennett-could-deliver-flying-centre-james-roberts-to-broncos/news-story/7856514971ebc06ef39e2536e7421734
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Moga played 1 game between Anzac Day 2015 and the end of 2016 so its pretty fair to say he was unwanted.

Blair was playing terrible footy on massive coin. The definition of unwanted. Also in an era where they ditched almost their whole roster to Cronulla.

Ok, so "reading between the lines" or believing media reports.. meh. Everything else suggests that Roberts was wanted by the club and he left for more money/to play at a better club when he had the chance. I very much don't believe that the Titans didn't want him.

Ok, so Moga left for an opportunity at the broncos. Was he unwanted or not by the cows? Duno. Maybe.
    Blair came to the end of his deal and signed with a new club. Does that mean the club didn't want him? Duno. Maybe.
    Benji wansnt wanted, he definitely applies. Then again he has played like 3 games, looks like he is going alright tho. Would you say its revived his career or anything?
    Milf, no, poached.
    Sims, no, poached.
    Mead, maybe he wasn't wanted at the titans but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since coming.

In recent history, who else? Who could you definitively say was unwanted by other clubs and who has come and played well? Besides Marshall and at a stretch Adam Blair and Moga?
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Pieman wrote:

Ok, so "reading between the lines" or believing media reports.. meh. Everything else suggests that Roberts was wanted by the club and he left for more money/to play at a better club when he had the chance. I very much don't believe that the Titans didn't want him.

Ok, so Moga left for an opportunity at the broncos. Was he unwanted or not by the cows? Duno. Maybe.
    Blair came to the end of his deal and signed with a new club. Does that mean the club didn't want him? Duno. Maybe.
    Benji wansnt wanted, he definitely applies. Then again he has played like 3 games, looks like he is going alright tho. Would you say its revived his career or anything?
    Milf, no, poached.
    Sims, no, poached.
    Mead, maybe he wasn't wanted at the titans but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire since coming.

In recent history, who else? Who could you definitively say was unwanted by other clubs and who has come and played well? Besides Marshall and at a stretch Adam Blair and Moga?

"reading between the lines". lol. Titans forged his signature on a contract and then refused to pay his legal costs when they got caught. Thats not between the lines, thats cold hard fact. If they wanted him, they would have payed the legal costs. Can you imagine a team letting a player they wanted to keep go, over a couple grand that they rightfully owed him? He wasn't asking for something that he didnt deserve.

Moga went 677 days with only playing 1 NRL game and he's unwanted "at a stretch"? Fuck me.

Reed was with the Raiders, dumped and went from 0 NRL games to a test player in Brisbane. I'd say that qualifies as "improved". Although your definition of "unwanted" for Moga has me wondering.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Pieman wrote:

Milf, no, poached.
    Sims, no, poached.

Honestly Pieman when I made that statement I was pretty much referring to Blair (who was the epitome of unwanted and much maligned at the time) and to a certain extent Marshall, Moga and Sims.

Is that not enough?

Who have Melbourne brought in that are in the same category (i.e. players that have excelled or shown promise but are on the outer at their previous club)?
    I would argue Melbourne's success is more being able to surround their superstars with nuffies that have a simple task that they complete effectively....but that's not what I was talking about.

The rest of our squad is essentially made up of blokes that we've seen come through the ranks or blokes that have wanted to come here to play for our club (Milf, Roberts).

The main point I made is that we haven't gone out of our way to recruit and poach players from elsewhere which generally leads to paying overs for these players.

There is an argument that we are at an advantage over other clubs when it comes to doing this (good coach, stable club, nice place to live) but all I was suggesting was that we are making the most of this advantage and it should hold us in good stead.

In summary, bad luck Pieman but all signs point to the Broncos continuing to be the benchmark both on and off the field.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm