NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Round 14 Match Thread

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Round 14 Match Thread  Empty Round 14 Match Thread

Post by Milchcow Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:29 am

Apologies to Honeysett for gazumping his write up.

But how good is it having a top of the table Broncos vs Raiders clash. In the 90s it was always my most anticipated game of the season. The miracle Mullins try is one of my all time favourites.

There's a bunch of other games happening too, but hopefully the Raiders get the weekend off to a good start.
    Dip

Round 14 Match Thread  Empty Re: Round 14 Match Thread

Post by Dip Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 am

Milchcow wrote:
    Apologies to Honeysett for gazumping his write up.

But how good is it having a top of the table Broncos vs Raiders clash.  In the 90s it was always my most anticipated game of the season.  The miracle Mullins try is one of my all time favourites.

There's a bunch of other games happening too,  but hopefully the Raiders get the weekend off to a good start.

Yeah they were great. It's amazing to think they those teams never played a grand final against each other, and I think 1990 was the only time they played finals games as well. Back then 4th vs 5th might have been deemed a battle to stay in the 8 rather than top of the table though.

Post by Guest Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 am

This time next week I could have a Raiders avatar. Boo.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:57 am

Dip wrote:

Yeah they were great. It's amazing to think they those teams never played a grand final against each other, and I think 1990 was the only time they played finals games as well. Back then 4th vs 5th might have been deemed a battle to stay in the 8 rather than top of the table though.

They were pretty close to playing each other in 1993 but Ricky Stuart broke his ankle in the final week or 2 of the season and Canberra didn't win another game.

Canberra flogged Parramatta 68-0 or something equally massive, yet that victory cost them their season.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Is it a public holiday in NSW next Monday? It's not up here and I've just noticed Dragons v Bulldogs is 4pm Monday. Like I'm going to get work done at that time now!
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Dip wrote:Is it a public holiday in NSW next Monday? It's not up here and I've just noticed Dragons v Bulldogs is 4pm Monday. Like I'm going to get work done at that time now!

Yep, Queen's birthday holiday this weekend (yes, the Queen's actual birthday is back in April. We still want our holiday now, so that's what we do)
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Public Holiday it is
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Round 14 Match Thread  500011Round 14 Match Thread  500013

Yo, Milch, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Honeysett has one of the best write ups of all time! One of the best write ups of all time! As was touched on before this is a match up between the heavyweights of the 90s. The giants of yesteryear. It’s been a long time since the Raiders could be considering a top four squad but they’ve assembled a very deep squad that’s chock full of talent. They're got forwards as big as houses, backs as smooth as Honeysett after a few drinks. Quick story: Met a girl on the weekend, she got introduced to me by her female friend and goes "His last name is Honeysett" - "OMG that's such a nice last name" - "It could be yours if you play your cards right" ... SAWISSSH. Like Steph Curry shooting 3s. Broncos are a team on the slide with three losses in a row, they could be outside the top 4 after the end of this game. The Garden of Eden is back into the squad, Mr two steps forward, 6 steps back. For a squad with more books than Harry Potter novels it’s quite funny to see the lack of depth on the wings. Eden? Maranta? Just horrible. They’re woeful. Even the Knights have better back ups. Maybe. Zac Los Santo is into the squad for his redebut, I looked into this guy and checked out his profile on NRL.com he looks better suited delivering a pizza to Jenna Haze then playing fullback for Canberra. Carrying on the great tradition of moustached fullbacks from the men in Green, the kid will be under a lot of pressure but I reckon he’ll do Gary Belcher proud and have a great game. Milford will continue to break the Raiders fans hearts with a man of the match performance that much like a raise for this guy is overdue. Hope you’re reading this boss. Back at Suncorp the Broncos should get back on the saddle and take out the Raiders but I hope I’m wrong.

Broncos by 4
    FTS Boyd

Round 14 Match Thread  500023Round 14 Match Thread  500005

Another week, another Tiger let go to another club. I called it earlier on in the year in one of these write ups that JAC would sign elsewhere to become a superstar of the game but at least the Tigers got Sironen for another year! That's like wanting a nice meat pie from the bakery and they’ve only got veggie pasties left. You act like you’re happy about it but silently you’re dying on the inside. Outside of Parramatta the Tigers would have to be the most poorly run club around, the amount of in fighting and back stabbing you’d be forgiven for expecting to see Kayne West and his hobbit walking around the clubrooms. Last week Jason Taylor rested Robbie Farah with mixed results, mixed being that the Tigers lost the game but JT got in another fuck you to the former captain. The myth that Brooks and Moses play better without Farah was exposed and really shouldn’t be a thing anyway. You’ve got two young kids trying to guide around a team of retards, put it this way you wouldn’t ask the kid with autism to drive the Downs bus now would ya? Yet here we are. The Rabbits are on the short turnaround after playing a great golden point game over here in Perth, which is again the NRL showing that they’re spending more time trying to lick their own elbows than look after player safety. To the Bunnies credit though a lot of their players stuck around to talk to the fans and take photos which was great for the game, a few girls were disappointed when the photos with George involved full clothing. Now. Before I go any further, Nathan Brown. You. Cunt. You don’t do that to another bloke. Ever. You ever had your nuts even grazed? That shit could put you down for hours. It’s man code 101. I’m disappointed that the judiciary didn’t throw the book at him, I would have given him a six year suspension and castrated the bastard. Shame on you Nathan Brown, shame! Naming him in the side makes me not want to pick the Rabbits so I’m going the Tigers, Rabbits will be too tired from the short turn around time and the long flight back from Perth. Tigers win, Rabbits lose. Brown’s a cunt.

Rabbits by 8
    FTS Walker
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:06 pm

i'm not one to sympathize with QLDers but surely games should only be played at time slot like 4pm on Monday when its a national public holiday

especially given we only have 1 Sunday game, which is always shit
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Honeysett wrote:
    meat pie

A man after my own heart
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:32 pm

I like that the window lickers got a mention
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:14 pm

leaguegod wrote:i'm not one to sympathize with QLDers but surely games should only be played at time slot like 4pm on Monday when its a national public holiday

especially given we only have 1 Sunday game, which is always shit

Yeah that's shit. Maybe that game could have been a Sunday night match instead. That should be reasonably good for TV ratings, and not really affect the crowd since no work Monday in Sydney.

Considering all the delays when the draw is released, there is still some things that make you shake your head and should be able to have been easily fixed. I'm not really talking about 5 day turnarounds across a season or anything like that, but just simple stuff. Just in the last couple of weeks alone:
    1. Canberra had a 5 day turnaround when 8 teams came off the bye (including 2 games with both teams coming off byes)
    2. Gold Coast having trips to Perth and Darwin between origins. Will Greg Bird sleep in their own bed for the best part of a month?
    3. Broncos players involved in origin having 3 games in 8 days, including an interstate and international game. Same number of games for Papalii. Surely this is one of those weeks when you don't have a Thursday match (particularly since there is only 1 Sunday game)
    4. Only 2 Sydney games in round 13, and probably the longest bus trip in the game being the first game. Why not have the Friday night game in Sydney so any origin players could just stay in town?
    5. Having a game between two of the biggest supported clubs being telecast on a Monday at 4pm when it is a work day in QLD, outside the Broncos and Cowboys, the Dragons and Dogs (together with the Warriors and Souths) would be the most heavily supported clubs in QLD due to their success in past years.
    6. Between when the Titans played at home on Sunday 1/5 and Sunday 26/6, the only games in south east QLD are an origin depleted Broncos game, the double header, a Monday night Titans Game, a Thursday night Broncos game, and origin 2. That's an 8 week period with only one night of games on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the second largest market in the world.

Crazy.

Edit: In the last point it's 2 games - the double header and the origin depleted game against the Tigers.

Last edited by Dip on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Dip wrote:

Yeah that's shit. Maybe that game could have been a Sunday night match instead. That should be reasonably good for TV ratings, and not really affect the crowd since no work Monday in Sydney.

Considering all the delays when the draw is released, there is still some things that make you shake your head and should be able to have been easily fixed. I'm not really talking about 5 day turnarounds across a season or anything like that, but just simple stuff. Just in the last couple of weeks alone:
    1. Canberra had a 5 day turnaround when 8 teams came off the bye (including 2 games with both teams coming off byes)
    2. Gold Coast having trips to Perth and Darwin between origins. Will Greg Bird sleep in their own bed for the best part of a month?
    3. Broncos players involved in origin having 3 games in 8 days, including an interstate and international game. Same number of games for Papalii. Surely this is one of those weeks when you don't have a Thursday match (particularly since there is only 1 Sunday game)
    4. Only 2 Sydney games in round 13, and probably the longest bus trip in the game being the first game. Why not have the Friday night game in Sydney so any origin players could just stay in town?
    5. Having a game between two of the biggest supported clubs being telecast on a Monday at 4pm when it is a work day in QLD, outside the Broncos and Cowboys, the Dragons and Dogs (together with the Warriors and Souths) would be the most heavily supported clubs in QLD due to their success in past years.
    6. Between when the Titans played at home on Sunday 1/5 and Sunday 26/6, the only games in south east QLD are an origin depleted Broncos game, the double header, a Monday night Titans Game, a Thursday night Broncos game, and origin 2. That's an 8 week period with only one night of games on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the second largest market in the world.

Crazy.

scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
    all great points
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Pieman wrote:

scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
    all great points

And the thing is they wouldn't be hard to fix. Simply by changing what day games are played on within a round, points 1,3,5 & 6 could be fixed. Point 2 could be fixed relatively simply by having the same fixtures, but the home and away games reversed for titans and Eels (who do play each other twice during the year). That's not hard.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Just read some of the comments here for the first time. Definitely agree about the Raiders V Broncos games of the 90's. Dad is a Broncos fan so it was always fun games in our household. Plus the entertainment provided in those games was top notch no matter who won. Also used to love watching either of them play the Dogs... Oh the memories Sad
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Archer wrote:Just read some of the comments here for the first time. Definitely agree about the Raiders V Broncos games of the 90's. Dad is a Broncos fan so it was always fun games in our household. Plus the entertainment provided in those games was top notch no matter who won. Also used to love watching either of them play the Dogs... Oh the memories Sad

Back when Bennett was innovative and relavent and not just coaching sides to play dour boring rugby league.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Archer wrote:Just read some of the comments here for the first time. Definitely agree about the Raiders V Broncos games of the 90's. Dad is a Broncos fan so it was always fun games in our household. Plus the entertainment provided in those games was top notch no matter who won. Also used to love watching either of them play the Dogs... Oh the memories Sad

Back when Bennett was innovative and relavent and not just coaching sides to play dour boring rugby league.
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 pm

If the Broncos score next after Half-Time, im turning the PS4 on instead.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 pm

a) never thought i'd say this about Maranta vs anyone, but if a spot comes down to Maranta vs Eden, i prefer Maranta, at least he logs 2-3 games of almost-competence between complete shockers, Eden is just hopeless.

b) Pangai needs to be in every Broncos team list starting from last month until he retires, absolute monster of a player.

c) starting to get a little concerned about the season overall, every week we have 2-3 of our better players pick up new injuries, the possibility of carrying a truckload of niggles into the finals doesnt bode well.
    Finch
    Finch

Post by Finch Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:50 pm

surmo13 wrote:a) never thought i'd say this about Maranta vs anyone, but if a spot comes down to Maranta vs Eden, i prefer Maranta, at least he logs 2-3 games of almost-competence between complete shockers, Eden is just hopeless.

b) Pangai needs to be in every Broncos team list starting from last month until he retires, absolute monster of a player.

c) starting to get a little concerned about the season overall, every week we have 2-3 of our better players pick up new injuries, the possibility of carrying a truckload of niggles into the finals doesnt bode well.

I've said it before multiple times, and I dont really see enough people saying it, if anybody at all. Part of the success from any NRL club comes down to injuries. If you don't get many/your key players don't get injured, you will win more than you lose. All of a sudden once the Broncos started getting a few injuries, they started to lose. It happens with all teams, it's nothing new. People don't seem to pick up on this for whatever reason.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm