NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round

Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round - Page 39 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:58 pm

Mulvy wrote:

I'm not a H2H player. Always been about overall. And you should too, it's the ultimate, in my very biased opinion.

8 trades left seems like plenty though, even for H2H. In my whatsapp group, the guy that plays h2h i think has much less than that. Go hard my friend.

I should mention I only have three trades left now (with one week to go, for whoever makes final)... which it's looking like I won't even need next week anyway. But it was 8 trades left when I started making poor decisions.

I played overall in that 2020 year where Overall/H2H were the same due to no Origin etc. and I finished really well - either just in or just outside the top 100. It was nice, and the following year I set up an Overall and a H2H team, but I was putting 99% time and effort into H2H and 1% into Overall so thought I'd just merge them again this year. Overall rank is putrid this year, but hoping for a balance where the two can become one in coming years.

I stupidly get paranoid about potential prizes not being given due to having two teams, like that would ever be a legit concern anyway, lol.

But one thing I've definitely noticed, is that the H2H comps I'm in with folk here, such as the L4 one... I have been murdered in those, and this is all by folk concentrating mostly on the Overall side of things. Went well in my cash league, until now, but couldn't be worse off in other comps. So maybe I should just concentrate on Overall and trust that by doing so they align.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round - Page 39 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round

Post by Mulvy Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:02 pm

The Bludger#2 wrote:

Yikes. Poor bloke.
    There goes my final trade for the year.

Ah man, tough break. With the rd 27 bye, it probaby means regular season, and probably means a trade over someone who might come back, eg. JDB rd27.
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:06 pm

WT Winfield wrote:

I was a H2H player in the past, but slowly started focusing more on overall after seeing most overall teams are gunned up by the time H2H finals start. This is the first season I've solely focused on overall and it seems to have paid off in the couple of H2Hs I'm in. It would cause me to miss out on certain cows everyone was getting aswell as avoiding some elite guns until after origin, but I'd usually pissed away my trades by then and/or couldn't afford them.

I think holding trades just for blocking plays in the final game or two when you're up, or need to take a shot to win is about as much strategy as you can really do.

Yep, as I was just building with Mulvy... starting to think that blending the Overall and H2H team together, with a preference to the Overall one, might yield better outcomes anyway.

It's weird though. It's not like I ever go out of my way to score poorly, but I guess it's all about and around the Origin period where it becomes one or the other. Because whilst y'all are using all y'all's trades, that's when I'm holding all mine, I guess. Interesting. Definitely something I'm going to consider a bit more next year.

And yeah, agree about the trades for the blocking plays. That was half of my strategy this week, bringing in SJ, and then I thought while I was at it I'd try to get a leg up with Hopgood. Wrong bet. Wink
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:08 pm

Chewie wrote:Eels No

Sorry mate. Must be a tough gig, supporting that team.

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round - Page 39 Giphy
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:18 pm

Teeth Eater wrote:

Yep, as I was just building with Mulvy... starting to think that blending the Overall and H2H team together, with a preference to the Overall one, might yield better outcomes anyway.

It's weird though. It's not like I ever go out of my way to score poorly, but I guess it's all about and around the Origin period where it becomes one or the other. Because whilst y'all are using all y'all's trades, that's when I'm holding all mine, I guess. Interesting. Definitely something I'm going to consider a bit more next year.

And yeah, agree about the trades for the blocking plays. That was half of my strategy this week, bringing in SJ, and then I thought while I was at it I'd try to get a leg up with Hopgood. Wrong bet. Wink

Nothing wrong with thinking SJ and Hopgood are good plays. You can make the best choice and still have unlucky outcomes.
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:41 pm

Mulvy wrote:

Nothing wrong with thinking SJ and Hopgood are good plays. You can make the best choice and still have unlucky outcomes.

Indeed, indeed. Just gotta hope for some massive results from players I don't want to jinx tomorrow.

Worst thing about tonight was not only Hopgood spudding hard, but that the Eels were so horrid that they broke Carrigan too. Both half-time scores had me all smiles, but the smiles are now sad oven frowns.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:32 am

Do we think Fifita will be in strife? I’m worried. Hopgood on report too but surely only a fine. I have just the 1 trade left.

Penis completely fucked the bed that’s pissed me right off.

I’m 8/476 about par that is on yaffs. Lemu tomorrow against Rorters is worrying me as well.

I hope you’ll be ok Booze I noticed not the best round for you either. I hope you can hold on.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:12 am

Rabbits21 wrote:Do we think Fifita will be in strife? I’m worried. Hopgood on report too but surely only a fine. I have just the 1 trade left.

Penis completely fucked the bed that’s pissed me right off.

I’m 8/476 about par that is on yaffs. Lemu tomorrow against Rorters is worrying me as well.

I hope you’ll be ok Booze I noticed not the best round for you either. I hope you can hold on.

It wasn’t in the head or that forceful but who knows

Tino got 3 games for not much

If he has priors he could be in trouble
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:41 am

Spoiler:

My Game Day preview especially for Robelgordo
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:54 am

Rabbits21 wrote:
    TOUCHIE THATS FOWARD THATS FORWARD OPEN YOUR EYES BBBBOOOOOOOOOOO

Big of you to be calling out Damien Cook's dummy half passes
    Welsh Mafia
    Welsh Mafia

Post by Welsh Mafia Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:56 am

Hoping for some changes to the Eels pack next weekend.. mainly - Matto starting.

They got minced last night
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:12 am

Teeth Eater wrote:

I've never been H2H focused, but I've usually done okay in the H2H leagues I'm in, and from my outside perspective, I imagine blending might not be the worst thing? (or just run two teams like so many).

Maybe you could focus on overall but have quite a moderate approach to the byes (i.e. don't break your team to get numbers etc...), it should still leave you with the foundation of a good team for H2H finals and with more trades than most overall coaches.

I'm definitely no expert, but it seems to me that you can somewhat shift the odds in your favour for finals games (i.e. by fielding a better on-field team value than your opposition), but it's still a one-off week and you can never guarantee an outcome going into a round in isolation
    e.g. Hopgood is a good buy, averages 62 for the season. Since round 9 had a low score of 49 (with an average of 65), but you just can't pick an outcome like last night for him - that's in the lap of the fantasy gods.
    Like plenty have said, good process bad outcome.

One of the things I like about overall (aside from the sheer quality of competition) is that you offset bad individual games with a player's rolling average across the time you own them. But in H2H that one-week performance can mean everything.

Khany
    Khany

Post by Khany Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:02 am

Getting a itchy finger, but should hold final 2 trades in the event of injury/suspension to a gun.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:35 am

Its a sad morning for the MTBs as the squad come to terms with the decision to trade Patty Carrigan out next week. Its been a great season big fella, such a shame the Broncos had to go and acore 54 points leaving fuck all work for you to do last night
    thelastdodo
    thelastdodo

Post by thelastdodo Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:45 am

Hi guys, H2H question for this round.

Who would you trade out for Latrell, Tohu or Ipap.

I am trying to avoid Edwards 33

so it would be Latrell and Russell vs (Tohu or Ipap) and Edwards 33

I guess is Latrell a 50 plus scorer today? trades not an issue.

Appreciate all your help & good Luck Booze & the other top flyers
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:51 am

my tv broke wrote:Its a sad morning for the MTBs as the squad come to terms with the decision to trade Patty Carrigan out next week. Its been a great season big fella, such a shame the Broncos had to go and acore 54 points leaving fuck all work for you to do last night

Yep, Carrigan and Haas been in my team since day one. Plan was to trade them both out next week with a very heavy heart, but I guess if I miss my cash H2H final I can hold both, cover them for a week and close out the season with them. Very sad that Carrigan's scores have got me so far this year, but undoubtedly if I falter this week that 41 from Carrigan will be a major part of it.

Fucking Eels. Sad

And I have seen correctly, haven't I, that Carrigan downdated to 41?
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:54 am

thelastdodo wrote:Hi guys, H2H question for this round.

I traded out Tohu, Ipap and Preston this week NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 77 - The Oprah Round - Page 39 Giphy and of the lot, Tohu was the first one I put up and he'd be my pick to go first out of Tohu and Ipap.

But who really knows? Such a coin toss decision. You could easily argue either way so I'd just go with where your gut takes you.

And if my gut said Tohu out first, probably means he's the one I should have held most of all. Wink
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:55 am

Yeah downdated Sad

I think I'll hold Haas, unless there is some chaos that forces my hand.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:00 am

thelastdodo wrote:Hi guys, H2H question for this round.

If it helps, Edwards updated to 37.
    ForanAgainst
    ForanAgainst

Post by ForanAgainst Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:20 am

Firstly, good morning or good evening to those in the Motherland. When it comes to H2H, I wouldn’t have the first clue how to strategize that, as one would be able to tell by my 15th place L5 finish(4th overall in there, though). Still wrapping my head around how that has worked out itself.

Now, and more importantly, if the Manu’s, Gagai’s, & Timoko’s of fantasy land could have equally quiet games(looking at you, Penis) I would greatly appreciate it. My chances of getting back into the top 500 really depends upon your failures.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:57 pm