NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Channel 9, piss poor coverage

bluetige
    bluetige

Channel 9, piss poor coverage Empty Channel 9, piss poor coverage

Post by bluetige Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:18 am

Rabs still making player identification errors but I'm really enjoying Fox's live coverage of the footy but last night I needed to watch the channel 9 coverage for 1 hour and can see why they're ratings for footy matches is declining.

Last night about 5 minutes after Whare was subbed, Rabs went to Yvonne Sampson for news on Whare. She says "Dean Whare has a strained calf and won't be back tonight meaning Dallin Watene-Zelezniak moves to the fullback position".

Whare was named at fullback but DWZ played there all game, was she even watching the game or just trying to look hot, give me the fox coverage any time.

No wonder 9 are losing viewers, opting to have people on their coverage who don't know about the game just because they're a woman in hope of attracting more women to view the game. Why go to her when there where more educated ex-footy players on the panel.

End of pointless rant, going to take a chill pill
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Channel 9, piss poor coverage Empty Re: Channel 9, piss poor coverage

Post by standard-issue Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:41 am

Have always had Fox so when they went to 8 live I haven't watched the 9 coverage at all this year. I'll be home for tonight's game and might start watching it 9 to see what I'm not missing. Only gripe I have with Fox is that I can't stand Walters as a commentator or panellist.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:41 am

How come Yvonne Sampson's mistake is because she's a girl. But Ray Warren's mistake isn't because he's a man?
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:58 am

Milchcow wrote:
    How come Yvonne Sampson's mistake is because she's a girl. But Ray Warren's mistake isn't because he's a man?

Its not because she is a girl (although she was brought it to increase female viewers) its more that she is not educated enough or not paying attention to the game. Rabs has been making mistakes for a while now but he is educated, was once the best commentator around.

Channel 9 simply should have gone to someone with better knowledge, thats all. Theres enough experts on the sideline as it is,just go to one of them
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:13 am

yvonne does an alright job leading the post match stuff and other various shows but i agree she didn't seem that comfortable in the sideline reporter role
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:44 am

Rabs is not well educated. He knows the handful of Sydney teams that Ch9 show each week, and even then he gets players names wrong.
    He has a great voice for calling games though, so I'm wooing to put up with it.

Most sideline commentators are rubbish. Guys like Fittler may be "qualified" but it's not like his incoherent ramblings are awesome.
    There is not an abundance of quality media trained people lining up to fill the spot
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 am

I'd rather Yvonne over some of the so called experts. The crappy boys club jokes and talking about shit totally unrelated to the games is a real turnoff.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 am

Like SI I haven't watched a game on 9 this year as I have Fox and don't need the ad breaks and standard definition.

Rabs is okay. He's declining but you have to compare him to the alternatives. Remember a couple of years ago and people were saying Vossy was shit. Then he left 9 and his calls ended up being done by Ray Hadley and Matthew Thompson, and all of a sudden when Vossy appears on Fox he's one of the best, simply because you saw what the alternative is.

Personally I reckon Warren Smith and Vossy are great. Rabs is good except when he's promoting The Voice or some other 9 show. Fox callers are generally pretty good. I can't stand Hadley, but funnily enough on the few occassions I've listened to him call a radio game, I thought he did that pretty well - just not on TV.

Yvonne Sampson is okay. At least she's a professional journalist. She does better than Fittler, Johns and Lockyer IMO. As a sideline reporter she certainly does better than Mel McLaughlin does in whatever sports she's on the sideline for. Hopefully when they retire Smith, Cronk and Slater move into the media. There aren't many good ex players commentating, but I could see those guys doing quite well in the same way Sterlo does.

Last edited by Dip on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 am

Milchcow wrote:

Yvonne's mistake is because shes a good tv host with no actual knowledge of the game.
    Ray's mistake is because he's senile.

Hoestly, I dont know why, if they are intent on bringing the likes of Sampson and that other bimbo with the massive teeth who goes for Canberra onto the shows just so they can say "look! women! diversity!" they dont find the ex-jillaroos player with the best on-camera ability and give them a crack. There would have to be one.

Having muppets who know nothing about the game is the reason channel 9 gives me the irrates - is Slater still on the footy show?
    bluetige
    bluetige

Post by bluetige Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:21 am

Good point, she is a good journalist but not sideline reporter.

That Bimbo your talking about is Erin Moylan ryno

I saw the first footy show and Slater wasn't there, so I just checked on the channel nine web page and Slats wasn't mentioned so I guess he's goooooone
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:36 am

ryno_ wrote:

Yvonne's mistake is because shes a good tv host with no actual knowledge of the game.
    Ray's mistake is because he's senile.

Hoestly, I dont know why, if they are intent on bringing the likes of Sampson and that other bimbo with the massive teeth who goes for Canberra onto the shows just so they can say "look! women! diversity!" they dont find the ex-jillaroos player with the best on-camera ability and give them a crack. There would have to be one.

Having muppets who know nothing about the game is the reason channel 9 gives me the irrates - is Slater still on the footy show?

On that note, did you see the interview with the Jillaroos captain on the footy show this week? WOW, was horrible. She struggled big time.

Im sure there would be some good ones out there though.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Fox had Cronk and DCE on the panel at the Nines. Cronk was a natural, seemless delivery and great incites. DCE was atrocious.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:37 pm

i think ennis will stick with fox post playing and do a pretty good job

hate NQ games on fox, belcher and walters with tate on the sideline. i don't mind belcher but he is better off not being the play by play guy. he and brandy are the only fox experts i generally like to listen.

Walters, gaz, anasta, tate etc are all worse then freddy, joey, locky and finch for mine

fox also throws in a game a week called by matt russell, argh.

i don't mind triple M's call when Ginane is calling with guys like girds or gordie, i do often mute the TV and turn them on

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:45 pm

There was an article the other week in the paper listing which players and ex players had signed with which network and Fox by far have the better signings
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:02 pm

leaguegod wrote:i think ennis will stick with fox post playing and do a pretty good job

hate NQ games on fox, belcher and walters with tate on the sideline. i don't mind belcher but he is better off not being the play by play guy. he and brandy are the only fox experts i generally like to listen.

Walters, gaz, anasta, tate etc are all worse then freddy, joey, locky and finch for mine

fox also throws in a game a week called by matt russell, argh.

i don't mind triple M's call when Ginane is calling with guys like girds or gordie, i do often mute the TV and turn them on

Prefer Anasta and Gaz over Joey/Locky/Finch/Lewis, and don't mind Matt Russel.  Also like Dip said, I like Hadley on the radio, just not TV.

Also, I really like Ennis as well. Just seems completely different off the field. On 360 he is honest and straight forward without being arrogant. He never stumbles and is a natural. Big media future, although he's going to have to watch replays of all his grubbiness till the day he retires if he works alongside Matty Johns and co Very Happy
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Yeah Ennis is great.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Let's talk about the coach sitting in a coaches box at home... Not Kahu being down after the play the ball..

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Shot clock scum penalty - biggest moment of the game !!!
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Random wrote:Let's talk about the coach sitting in a coaches box at home... Not Kahu being down after the play the ball..

Fox coverage has been great - except for Braith on the panel at pre/half/post game. There is deadset a 5 second delay between his brain and his mouth.
    DreadLord
    DreadLord

Post by DreadLord Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:22 am

I'm absolutely stoked that I no longer have to watch Channel Nine's coverage Cheers

I've been over Rab's for a few years now, and listening to him and Gould & co waffling on about "the Block" or the 'Farmer wants a fuck' or whatever other garbage channel 9 was peddling at the time was fucking torturous !

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm