NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 5 - Assemble the base price players

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 5 - Assemble the base price players - Page 7 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 5 - Assemble the base price players

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm

I've had a look at some of the fantasy edge options that interest me

J'maine Hopgood $453k
    Probably as close to a must have as there is at the moment. He's going to start at lock for the Eels for at least 3 weeks, and potentially longer
    He's a fantasy beast. Just put him in your team and then work out who else you'll have.

Egan Butcher $561k
    With Angus Crichton and Tupouniua out for a while, a spot is available at the Roosters.
    Mostly he plays as a middle, so although he theoretically is mis-attributed as an EDG in the system that might be where he ends up playing
    Egan has a great fantasy motor, so if he gets the start the main question is how much will his output decrease if he has to play in the edge.
    Maintaining his priced 39 average seems very doable, its just how far above it can he go.

Zac Hosking $479k
    Luke Garner $478k
    There's a vacant edge spot at the panthers and someone has to take it
    Garner is priced at 33, last year averaged 44 at edge, and for a worse team
    Hosking has better fantasy credentials from his limited first grade starts, so if he could secure the spot it would be better for fantasy coaches.
    Garner seems to be ahead in all media reports though.

Eliesa Katoa $448k
    Had a great rookie year in 2020, but a bit uninspiring the last 2 years. Only everaged 40 minutes last year, mostly off the bench
    As a 40+ minute starter he averaged 45. If he maintains a starting spot 40+ is a very reasonable base to expect

Trent Loiero $389k
    Played mostly as a bench middle last year. His only edge start was 24 in 80 minutes
    He did get scores of 77 (1 try), 28 and 51 in 2021. Only priced at 27 so the value is obvious
    I guess the concern for Loiero/Katoa is if they can both keep th ejob long enough term to make money
    At least one of them will, possibly both.

Jackson Ford $340k
    Priced at 23. Normally a middle, he started on the edge for both the Warriors trials with decent stats (and 40+ fantasy points)
    The Warriors forward pack has a lot of Hybrids (tm) that cam play edge or middle.
    Not sure how secure his spot is with guys liek Curran, Sironen, Barnett around. But he's pretty good value if he stays on the edge

Thomas Gilbert $567k
    Seems to have the starting lock spot down at the Dophins, but he's a bit too expensive and not all that exciting fantasy wise to be interesting.
    Its a new team so its a little hard to predict what he'll give, but priced at 39, I think there are chesper options that have better value

Teig Wilton $536k
    Priced at 37, he averaged 49 in 2nd row starts last year. Bunch of tries, but as long as he can beat out Wade Graham to the starting spot he could go well
    Really needs to keep the tries flowing for fantasy value though

Preston and Doorey (and maybe even Suia Wong) are all base price options that may get a run. So keeping my eye on them for team lists too.
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 5 - Assemble the base price players - Page 7 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 5 - Assemble the base price players

Post by lukeayee Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:25 pm

A name I haven't seen come up, which im considering for my last WFB position is Cobbo.

Is the FB role locked for him?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:26 pm

lukeayee wrote:A name I haven't seen come up, which im considering for my last WFB position is Cobbo.

Is the FB role locked for him?

Reece Walsh
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

Post by lukeayee Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:27 pm

my tv broke wrote:

Reece Walsh

Derp, of course. forgot about him.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 pm

my tv broke wrote:

Reece Walsh

Koula? Looked a gun in the second trial. Just kinda expensive, and always seemed to throw in trash scores followed by a decent one
    Antipodean1
    Antipodean1

Post by Antipodean1 Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Milchcow wrote:I've had a look at some of the fantasy edge options that interest me

J'maine Hopgood $453k
    Probably as close to a must have as there is at the moment. He's going to start at lock for the Eels for at least 3 weeks, and potentially longer
    He's a fantasy beast. Just put him in your team and then work out who else you'll have.

Egan Butcher $561k
    With Angus Crichton and Tupouniua out for a while, a spot is available at the Roosters.
    Mostly he plays as a middle, so although he theoretically is mis-attributed as an EDG in the system that might be where he ends up playing
    Egan has a great fantasy motor, so if he gets the start the main question is how much will his output decrease if he has to play in the edge.
    Maintaining his priced 39 average seems very doable, its just how far above it can he go.

Zac Hosking $479k
    Luke Garner $478k
    There's a vacant edge spot at the panthers and someone has to take it
    Garner is priced at 33, last year averaged 44 at edge, and for a worse team
    Hosking has better fantasy credentials from his limited first grade starts, so if he could secure the spot it would be better for fantasy coaches.
    Garner seems to be ahead in all media reports though.

Eliesa Katoa $448k
    Had a great rookie year in 2020, but a bit uninspiring the last 2 years. Only everaged 40 minutes last year, mostly off the bench
    As a 40+ minute starter he averaged 45. If he maintains a starting spot 40+ is a very reasonable base to expect

Trent Loiero $389k
    Played mostly as a bench middle last year. His only edge start was 24 in 80 minutes
    He did get scores of 77 (1 try), 28 and 51 in 2021. Only priced at 27 so the value is obvious
    I guess the concern for Loiero/Katoa is if they can both keep th ejob long enough term to make money
    At least one of them will, possibly both.

Jackson Ford $340k
    Priced at 23. Normally a middle, he started on the edge for both the Warriors trials with decent stats (and 40+ fantasy points)
    The Warriors forward pack has a lot of Hybrids (tm) that cam play edge or middle.
    Not sure how secure his spot is with guys liek Curran, Sironen, Barnett around. But he's pretty good value if he stays on the edge

Thomas Gilbert $567k
    Seems to have the starting lock spot down at the Dophins, but he's a bit too expensive and not all that exciting fantasy wise to be interesting.
    Its a new team so its a little hard to predict what he'll give, but priced at 39, I think there are chesper options that have better value

Teig Wilton $536k
    Priced at 37, he averaged 49 in 2nd row starts last year. Bunch of tries, but as long as he can beat out Wade Graham to the starting spot he could go well
    Really needs to keep the tries flowing for fantasy value though

Preston and Doorey (and maybe even Suia Wong) are all base price options that may get a run. So keeping my eye on them for team lists too.

I love you man Beating Heart lol! Beer (6 beers in) PS, do not tinker with your team while unsafe to drive, just a tip for the kids.
    That "clear" option needs a big red banner warning rendeer

Last edited by Antipodean1 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lukeayee
    lukeayee

Post by lukeayee Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Feels so unusual to see Tolo at that price and not lock him into my team straight away.
    GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:48 pm

Milchcow wrote:I've had a look at some of the fantasy edge options that interest me

no interest in Wilton?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:49 pm

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:

no interest in Wilton?

he's there, but tbh I am not really interested as there is better value with less risk around
    Antipodean1
    Antipodean1

Post by Antipodean1 Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:57 pm

Running BSmith and EButch stretches my team's reserves.

I am very on the fence about how much upside there is for BSmith, but so many are carrying him.

It is quite possible he will be a trade in his bye round unless he sneaks in a pie or two in the first few rounds, which is quite possible given their first two matches.

But EButch is SO tempting, he looked a gun in the making in the trials.

The two guys I really want in my team are Teig and Egan, but both have role threats looming.

For now, I have Egan locked in.

I have heard Wade G is going to play middle and half cover, perhaps I will wait and see on that and grab Teig if his role becomes more apparent after their bye.

Also I am unsure how good the Sharks might start with Nicho out for 1-3.

I guess I should add, I already have all the usual suspects too, Hopgood, Katoa, Loiero Ford et al.

I am wait and see on the Panthers edges/TLT/bench makeup, before swinging to them, I liked Hosking, Garner doesn't spin my wheels, but it's the Panthers, let me have another drink and think on it! Beer Bang

Should really rename my team to Edge of Madness...
    Papadontbleach
    Papadontbleach

Post by Papadontbleach Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:11 pm

easytiger wrote:

As mentioned earlier, I didn't see any of the trials (which may have shone a light on this), but have read a couple of things that suggested Kris might play fullback with HSS to Centre.
    A Canberra fan might be able to confirm if this is plausible?

That's what I read on Raiders forum. Of course, it is all speculation and Ricky is the coach so... Could also run out Hopa or Schiller.

Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:28 pm

Antipodean1 wrote:Running BSmith and EButch stretches my team's reserves.

I am very on the fence about how much upside there is for BSmith, but so many are carrying him.

It is quite possible he will be a trade in his bye round unless he sneaks in a pie or two in the first few rounds, which is quite possible given their first two matches.

But EButch is SO tempting, he looked a gun in the making in the trials.

The two guys I really want in my team are Teig and Egan, but both have role threats looming.

For now, I have Egan locked in.

I have heard Wade G is going to play middle and half cover, perhaps I will wait and see on that and grab Teig if his role becomes more apparent after their bye.

Also I am unsure how good the Sharks might start with Nicho out for 1-3.

I guess I should add, I already have all the usual suspects too, Hopgood, Katoa, Loiero Ford et al.

I am wait and see on the Panthers edges/TLT/bench makeup, before swinging to them, I liked Hosking, Garner doesn't spin my wheels, but it's the Panthers, let me have another drink and think on it!  Beer   Bang

Should really rename my team to Edge of Madness...

Moylan will be putting Teig over every week

And that's no double meaning talk btw

rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:38 pm

Papadontbleach wrote:

That's what I read on Raiders forum. Of course, it is all speculation and Ricky is the coach so... Could also run out Hopa or Schiller.  

That's how they ran out in the first half of the trial, so seems a fair assumption. Also Rapana gave an interview this week where he basically said "I'm too old to play fullback, bro".
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 pm

Last year, 3 out of Cheese's 5 starts at hooker were rubbish.
    29, 32, 20, and only the last of those had rubbish minutes. Ignore those 3 games and his career stats at hooker are well above where he is priced at.
    He has the starting hooker spot secure, its not like Harry Grant is around in competition for him. I do have some concerns, but the potential is quite high and outweighs the risk
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:46 pm

I have 12 below 450k currently, 5 between 450-700k and 4 above 700k.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:58 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

That's how they ran out in the first half of the trial, so seems a fair assumption. Also Rapana gave an interview this week where he basically said "I'm too old to play fullback, bro".

That’s exactly what he would have said verbatim. I remember after a brain fade (maybe a dumb captains challenge) Ricky saying ‘we don’t pick Raps to think, he just need to stick to playing footy’

Post by Guest Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:58 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:I have 12 below 450k currently, 5 between 450-700k and 4 above 700k.

Have you looked at the average priced player for a squad of 21 is 476k?
    Though if you look at the base price of the NPR in your 17-21 being 230k then this average changes to 534k
    Given your breakdown do you feel you are maximising the $ per point potential of your starting lineup?
    Technically more money spent in 17 is more points so have you got the balance right of points vs NPR/cow potential without overspending here?

Is this the first time you have looked at this breakdown or looking at last year how did you find it help?
    Do you find making multiple team lists hypothetically helps you with your decision making or confuses the situation?
    Given the variables with players being ruled out every day getting closer to team lists named, which in turn brings in more potential options (And then effects your own team balance) does this all help?

Can news of one new/promoted player to a starting lineup change your entire team?
    If you could choose the 21 best players without any stats or prices attached but had 500k left over would you do it?
    Is your strategy to build season ending high team value with gradual growth or hit the ground running with possibly less potential later on?
    IE consistent players or more risk/reward? What breakdown would you say your current players are using this example?
    What percentage of these players are forwards vs backs? Have you balanced the early byes with captaincy/team options

Hope this helps you in your upcoming decision making Smile
    Looks like you love the fine details so you will love this

Last edited by Boozecluez on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:01 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:I have 12 below 450k currently, 5 between 450-700k and 4 above 700k.

This is the kind of shit I pay absolutely no attention to when picking a team! Although I do try to make sure that the value of my forwards relative to my backs is equal to the Golden Ratio.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:28 pm

Aardvark wrote:

This is the kind of shit I pay absolutely no attention to when picking a team! Although I do try to make sure that the value of my forwards relative to my backs is equal to the Golden Ratio.

Amateur.

The value of each position in my team forms a Fibonacci sequence.
    And my total team value divided by the magic number is prime.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:35 pm

Aardvark wrote:

I don't pay attention either. I have 14 players over $700k.

Salary cap is irrelevant

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am