NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

GarethEllisismyDad
    GarethEllisismyDad

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

Post by GarethEllisismyDad Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:40

The Pascoe Fiasco wrote:Which is the best combo, each costs about the same. Each has Uto as the other FRF.
    1) Brailley (either) + Murray + Cotter +5k /0k ITB
    2) Robson + Haas + Cotter + 7k
    3) Grant + Carrigan + Cotter + 26k
    4)Egan + Murray + Haas +48k
    5) Grant + Murray + Gilbert + 15k
    6) Grant + Haas + Welch + 39k
    (None of the above gets me from Burton to Doueihi!)

4 but with Brandon smith instead?
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 3 - Trials by Combat

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:45

rhinoceroo wrote:So, for everyone running with 6 or 7 minimum price players, RL Fantasy Pro (I hate to give Butters credit but here we go) has a Team Analysis tool where you can look at every team's week-by-week and is currently showing last season's data.

I know value crops up in different places and positions from year to year, but giving a quick look at the top five teams last year and their Round One teams, a couple of things stood out:

1) Very few base price players, between 2 and 4

2) Everyone went heavy on WFB (Papy, Hynes and Teddy for the most part)
    I am currently starting with 6 cheapies so I may as well give up now then. The byes are really going t affect Rd 1 FB this year with Turbo Rd 2 and Teddy Rd 4.FB looks pretty crap this year to start with. I’m starting Teddy as there doesn’t appear to be anyone else thanks to his opening two games. KP is a FB playing in a new position coming off a fresh hammie strain with massive HIA issues so he’s a no go. I’d rather start Miller. We’ve also probably lost Walsh and Savage for Rd 1. I assume Perham, at his price, will be in a lot if teams. CNK will now be in a lot of teams thanks to Metcalf’s injury at training. I’m not going anywhere near the Hammer. My back 3 is Teddy, Perham, and TMM. I’ve tried dropping Teddy but just can’t do it due to there be no obvious downgrade.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:48

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:

I think you need Smith and Boyd out of your top 13 as cover for HOK.

Last edited by The Pascoe Fiasco on Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:00; edited 1 time in total
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:50

White Lightning wrote:ponga just doesn't know how to tackle he gets head knocks because he puts his head in the wrong position. if someone had of taught him how to tackle when he was younger he'd have no concussions. this year he's playing in the defensive line which will require more tackling.

but potentially less direct 1v1 situations where he'd get his head in the wrong position.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:51

White Lightning wrote:on ponga was listening to the magic sponge podcast a few weeks ago & they explained his concussion history:
    last 6 weeks of the 2021 season 3 concussions
    since 2019 there are 5 concussions that we know of (could be more)
    if he has 1 more concussion he could be out longer due to his history where the accumulation of concussions means a longer recovery

ponga just doesn't know how to tackle he gets head knocks because he puts his head in the wrong position. if someone had of taught him how to tackle when he was younger he'd have no concussions. this year he's playing in the defensive line which will require more tackling.

Concussions not just down to tackling though are they? Catching high balls and awkward landings, taking high shots like he cops when getting targetted! Getting caught in tackle and smashed to ground like the origin one.

He’s not the greatest defensive fullback but Saying if someone had told him how to tackle when younger would mean no concussions is fucking dumb and shows a complete lack of game understanding
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:53

Shit, I might have exposed my underbelly too much, but here's where I am at having spent a lot of time lol. My main issue is wanting Miller over CNK, I have boiled this down to getting rid of Hastings as I much prefer Tapine over Cotter. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Robson
    B Smith - Haas (VC) - Tapine
    Garner - Katoa
    Burton - Cleary (C)
    Thompson - Alamoti
    HSS - Perham - CNK

Boyd - Loiero - Hopgood - Hastings
    Sloan - Warbrick - Doorey - Pele

The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 11:56

GarethEllisismyDad wrote:

This does work too, to fit in my team this only leaves Boyd as my back up HOK though. It leaves 631k in my position 14 which effectively means picking Graham or Val, Tetola or Barnett. It would enable Egan Butcher (if named) which would get Burton up to Doueihi. Thanks. That HOK cover is concerning though.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:03

Mulvy wrote:

I've got Ponga, but it's my plan to fund Turbo with one of my duds after his bye, somewhere around rds 3,4,5. There's always duds.
    Teddy to Turbo in Rd 4 is my plan, as long as Turbo is not injured by then.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:15

my tv broke wrote:

but potentially less direct 1v1 situations where he'd get his head in the wrong position.
    The stats say 5/8 is the safest place to be as far as injury goes, but there’s a lot more tackling -which is part of his problem. No doubt it’s safer than FB. To avoid HIA’s he probably needs to go back to the wing in defence!
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:26

Lemmy KGB wrote:Shit, I might have exposed my underbelly too much, but here's where I am at having spent a lot of time lol. My main issue is wanting Miller over CNK, I have boiled this down to getting rid of Hastings as I much prefer Tapine over Cotter. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Robson
    B Smith - Haas (VC) - Tapine
    Garner - Katoa
    Burton - Cleary (C)
    Thompson - Alamoti
    HSS - Perham - CNK

Boyd - Loiero - Hopgood - Hastings
    Sloan - Warbrick - Doorey - Pele

My big concern is Rd3. You’ve got cover but you’ll be forced to play one of Sloan, Warbrick or pele. Also in Rd 3 Cleary is out while so many others are captaining Hynes. Hastings v Dolphins could be fairly decent I suppose.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:31

Welshy wrote:

Concussions not just down to tackling though are they? Catching high balls and awkward landings, taking high shots like he cops when getting targetted! Getting caught in tackle and smashed to ground like the origin one.

He’s not the greatest defensive fullback but Saying if someone had told him how to tackle when younger would mean no concussions is fucking dumb and shows a complete lack of game understanding

well since league is based on defense it generally helps if you know how to tackle so don't come at me with your fucking dumb comment i don't appreciate it. so if it's not his poor tackling technique leading to his concussions what is it?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:37

"Ponga hit the ground after a high tackle from Roosters prop Matt Lodge, whose left arm connected with the fullback's right shoulder and neck region. "

"Ponga was collected high by Nathan Cleary and was deemed to have suffered a category one concussion, which automatically ruled him out of Newcastle’s upcoming fixture against the Gold Coast Titans."

two examples of poor tackling technique
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:43

White Lightning wrote:

well since league is based on defense it generally helps if you know how to tackle so don't come at me with your fucking dumb comment i don't appreciate it. so if it's not his poor tackling technique leading to his concussions what is it?
    Tackling at FB also completely different to tackling in the line. Flying across to cover, changes in direction from the attacker; it’s so quick it’s easy to catch a knee or a hip.

Saying if someone taught him how to tackle he wouldn’t have any concussions is a dumb comment. His concussions are not all down to tackling.

Last one was a swinging arm, origin one, Cleary caught him high then wrapped him and head slam on the turf. 2 examples from last year. No tackling from Ponga involved.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:45

my tv broke wrote:"Ponga hit the ground after a high tackle from Roosters prop Matt Lodge, whose left arm connected with the fullback's right shoulder and neck region. "

"Ponga was collected high by Nathan Cleary and was deemed to have suffered a category one concussion, which automatically ruled him out of Newcastle’s upcoming fixture against the Gold Coast Titans."

two examples of poor tackling technique

If some taught Ponga how to accept high shots when he was younger he wouldn’t have any concussions!
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:48

The Pascoe Fiasco wrote:
    My big concern is Rd3. You’ve got cover but you’ll be forced to play one of Sloan, Warbrick or pele. Also in Rd 3 Cleary is out while so many others are captaining Hynes. Hastings v Dolphins could be fairly decent I suppose.

I can live with that put the C on Haas and loop someone from EMG. I'm just glad you didn't say my backline.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:49

Welshy wrote:

If some taught Ponga how to accept high shots when he was younger he wouldn’t have any concussions!

fuck off cunt
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:51

Welshy wrote:
     Tackling at FB also completely different to tackling in the line. Flying across to cover, changes in direction from the attacker; it’s so quick it’s easy to catch a knee or a hip.

Saying if someone taught him how to tackle he wouldn’t have any concussions is a dumb comment. His concussions are not all down to tackling.

Last one was a swinging arm, origin one, Cleary caught him high then wrapped him and head slam on the turf. 2 examples from last year. No tackling from Ponga involved.

Without wishing to victim-blame, I suppose you could say that the fact he changes direction so quickly when hitting the line means he's a bit more likely to cop a lazy arm and consequent HIA, and that won't be much different at 5/8th, unless he cans his running game, which I doubt.

No doubt it would be a constant worry as an owner (not to mention for him) but still loads of potential upside.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:53

From memory, Ponga's defence in the middle during his first SOO game was quite solid. I don't think I'll start with him, but I do think the concussions would be much less of a worry playing at half than FB.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:54

White Lightning wrote:

fuck off cunt

Laugh 3

That’s the argument won!
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri 17 Feb 2023 - 12:56

rhinoceroo wrote:

Without wishing to victim-blame, I suppose you could say that the fact he changes direction so quickly when hitting the line means he's a bit more likely to cop a lazy arm and consequent HIA, and that won't be much different at 5/8th, unless he cans his running game, which I doubt.

No doubt it would be a constant worry as an owner (not to mention for him) but still loads of potential upside.

This isn’t the argument though is it? Ponga and his own tackle technique are to blame for his concussions, and they would never happen if he was taught how to tackle properly…

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024 - 10:53