NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Holzman
    Holzman

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 11 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Holzman Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am

getting in one of Hynes/Clearly will be had enough so if your missing both then your liking spreading the cash over the rest of your team so only way to bring them in is dropping another high end guy.

I actually just dropped Murray down to Burton and now have Clearly Burton Hastings. It does mean ill likely end up having to go Burton/Hastings to Hynes at some point.

At this stage spending the cash to get Holmes at Centre so there is at least one safe spot then just need to rely on one of Alamoti/Talau/Te Ware and will likely be picking 2 of them needing one to play each week.

For captains Hasting round 3 v the dolphins could be a good option.
    Holzman
    Holzman

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 11 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Holzman Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:08 am

After typing that all out just decided to go Holmes Burton to Hammer Hynes.

At least Hammer should play and then I dont need to worry about finding the cash to bring in Cleary or Hynes.

Grant
    Carrigan Hopgood Elliott
    Katoa Garner
    Cleary Hynes
    Hammer Alamoti
    Miller CNK Perham

Hastings
    Cheese (Ho/M)
    Makatoa
    Doorey

Talau
    Jennings
    Sloan
    Blore
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 am

Holzman wrote:After typing that all out just decided to go Holmes Burton to Hammer Hynes.

Hammer Alamoti
    Miller CNK Perham
    Sloan Jennings

I'm thinking about a similarly shite back 5 and backups, but Thompson over HTF.

They will all need trading by midseason, but enable guns elsewhere
    Lchy
    Lchy

Post by Lchy Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 am

Holy Moly wrote:Having a look at some bench hookers who might get some decent minutes and noticed that Fa’amanu Brown isn't in the system. Has he left the NRL?

I swear I heard he signed with the bulldogs
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

Post by Holy Moly Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:51 am

Lchy wrote:

I swear I heard he signed with the bulldogs

He is in predicted team lists and on the NRL site. Just not in the fantasy system.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 am

Holy Moly wrote:

He is in predicted team lists and on the NRL site. Just not in the fantasy system.

He's probably going to like 10 mins max with Mahoney starting
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:17 am

Camo123 wrote:

It said it was a meniscus clean out surgery and he should be fine by R2

Probably impacts those looking at Bird the most because you’d have to take gamble on him being named with no prior evidence and not missing R2 in addition to R1 bye

Bird was only attractive if they were going to play him at lock (average 55), not at 6 (average 42).
    MyYfH8sSC

Post by MyYfH8sSC Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:00 am

Rabbits21 wrote:Is anyone because of their early byes considering running with none of Cleary or Hynes and running Murray as Captain with a Tapine, Robson and Burton combo?
    It’s not totally crazy, since you get one extra game out of Murray over Cleary (and very slightly cheaper). This is based purely on averages though. At the end of the day (barring injuries, Tic Toc or spear tackles) choosing one or the other won’t ruin your season. It really depends on the other 20 players you choose! I’ll go Cleary and dodge that horrendous opening 5-6 rounds that Souths have. Any chance Murray gets rested v Dolphins Rd 7? Since cash generation is key to start with I can only see Hynes losing a bit of cash in those opening rounds so he’s an avoid for me. That is a terrible draw 3 bad, two good, the bye, two bad, three good, then the bye again. How anyone can get two out of the three into a GOOD Rd 1 team is beyond me.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:12 am

L-Jimmy wrote:

I'm thinking about a similarly shite back 5 and backups, but Thompson over HTF.

They will all need trading by midseason, but enable guns elsewhere
    I have Hammer currently in my latest draft as he is DPP and close to 40percent owned. But I hope cheaper options become available. I can’t justify spending 500k on Suaali with the Roosters having a bye in round 4 anyway. Currently I have

Hammer Thompson
    Miller (should avg 38-40, 9-11 pts value) Savage Perham
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 am

MyYfH8sSC wrote:
    It’s not totally crazy, since you get one extra game out of Murray over Cleary (and very slightly cheaper). This is based purely on averages though. At the end of the day (barring injuries, Tic Toc or spear tackles) choosing one or the other won’t ruin your season. It really depends on the other 20 players you choose! I’ll go Cleary and dodge that horrendous opening 5-6 rounds that Souths have. Any chance Murray gets rested v Dolphins Rd 7? Since cash generation is key to start with I can only see Hynes losing a bit of cash in those opening rounds so he’s an avoid for me.  That is a terrible draw 3 bad, two good, the bye, two bad, three good, then the bye again. How anyone can get two out of the three into a GOOD Rd 1 team is beyond me.
    Agree you can’t have a balanced team with both Hynes and Cleary.

I have gone cold on Hastings too I just worry on the Knights struggling and he’s never avg 52-55 before I don’t think over half a season. I’m warming to Burton alongside Cleary with Tapine and Robson. Robson in 30 odd games over 70mins avg is about 58 as well and I think he will be the 3rd best hooker scorer for the year.
    mickspicks
    mickspicks

Post by mickspicks Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 pm

MyYfH8sSC wrote:
    It’s not totally crazy, since you get one extra game out of Murray over Cleary (and very slightly cheaper). This is based purely on averages though. At the end of the day (barring injuries, Tic Toc or spear tackles) choosing one or the other won’t ruin your season. It really depends on the other 20 players you choose! I’ll go Cleary and dodge that horrendous opening 5-6 rounds that Souths have. Any chance Murray gets rested v Dolphins Rd 7? Since cash generation is key to start with I can only see Hynes losing a bit of cash in those opening rounds so he’s an avoid for me.  That is a terrible draw 3 bad, two good, the bye, two bad, three good, then the bye again. How anyone can get two out of the three into a GOOD Rd 1 team is beyond me.

Why would Murray get rested v Dolphins? Are you expecting them to be a complete shambles? If anything I can see their defensive efforts to be pretty solid - scoring points may take some time.
    MyYfH8sSC

Post by MyYfH8sSC Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:16 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:
    Agree you can’t have a balanced team with both Hynes and Cleary.

I have gone cold on Hastings too I just worry on the Knights struggling and he’s never avg 52-55 before I don’t think over half a season. I’m warming to Burton alongside Cleary with Tapine and Robson. Robson in 30 odd games over 70mins avg is about 58 as well and I think he will be the 3rd best hooker scorer for the year.
    That Knights draw is pretty good, and they play round 13! Barry Toohey reported Hastings won’t be GK! If that is true then he definitely goes to Burton.
    MyYfH8sSC

Post by MyYfH8sSC Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:19 pm

mickspicks wrote:

Why would Murray get rested v Dolphins? Are you expecting them to be a complete shambles? If anything I can see their defensive efforts to be pretty solid - scoring points may take some time.
    I am actually. Perhaps rested is a bit harsh, but perhaps a very early shower if you prefer.
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:25 pm

MyYfH8sSC wrote:
    I am actually. Perhaps rested is a bit harsh, but perhaps a very early shower if you prefer.

imo won't happen early on because forwards need match fitness & the more you play the quicker you attain it...if it happens it's during/post origin
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:31 pm

Trying to come up with a team name that encompasses my dislike for PVL and how I want him nowhere near the game or making any decisions around it's future but also a low chance of him Elon-Musk style personally permabanning my NRL account/being sued for defamtion, ie; I can't use "Peter V'Landys is a corrupt Murdoch stooge" but maybe "PVL is selling the game out for his own interests" might be OK? Thoughts?
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:42 pm

filthridden wrote:Trying to come up with a team name that encompasses my dislike for PVL and how I want him nowhere near the game or making any decisions around it's future but also a low chance of him Elon-Musk style personally permabanning my NRL account/being sued for defamtion, ie; I can't use "Peter V'Landys is a corrupt Murdoch stooge" but maybe "PVL is selling the game out for his own interests" might be OK? Thoughts?

PVL is a self-interested prick, I agree. But then what did we expect from someone out of the professional animal cruelty / human addiction misery game?

You could be tempted to throw shade with a Fine Cotton or Show Jumping Killers reference, or just do what I do and write his name in the dirt with a stick, then take a slash.

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:08 pm

Is this useful for byes?

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 11 Nrl_by10
    Black = Byes
    Pale yellow is team plays, but Origin reps unavailable

Green is where if you buy a player in that team you get 5+ games before a bye happens e.g. at R14 it's Panthers, Storm, Roosters
    Not sure if 5 games is a good number, would be happy to tweaking my highly advanced coding*
    Also you obviously want to use judgment rather than rule players in/out solely based on approaching byes

Some quick takeaways, many of which I'm sure have already come up in the last 30-40 pages I haven't read:
    - Eels are the only team to not play in an Origin round, but they still miss 2 games in the Origin period
    - Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Broncos and Titans miss 2 Origin rounds, but the first 3 have 5 games running from R14-18, so are actually very handy to navigate that period
    - Warriors and Dolphins are the only teams with 1 bye during the R13-20 period, which covers the Origin big bye weeks and the 3 medium bye weeks immediately after each state game
    - Rabbitohs and Broncos have the latest 1st bye (R16). Titans have their 3rd and last bye the same week!
    - Aside from Titans, Tigers and Sharks finish early (R17)

*I coloured the cells in Excel
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm

filthridden wrote:Trying to come up with a team name that encompasses my dislike for PVL and how I want him nowhere near the game or making any decisions around it's future but also a low chance of him Elon-Musk style personally permabanning my NRL account/being sued for defamtion, ie; I can't use "Peter V'Landys is a corrupt Murdoch stooge" but maybe "PVL is selling the game out for his own interests" might be OK? Thoughts?

Peter not V Dandy?
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:12 pm

I'd like to point out I spent 30 mins on a Friday arvo making a chart about byes but I haven't even looked at player prices yet. Pretty sure that doesn't make sense.
    the_great_wobbler
    the_great_wobbler

Post by the_great_wobbler Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:17 pm

Probably been talked about lots but it feels like the round 27 bye should have gone to a team that was unlikely to make the 8. A week off is such a huge boost going into the finals.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:34 pm