NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season - Page 43 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

Post by Rabbits21 Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Re Uto do we trust Madge with his mins? I’m just hoping he’s not last years Tino.

It’d be annoying if Uto just plays 50mins and scores around 45 which is what he’s priced at.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season - Page 43 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 92 - Fanatics Anonymous Off Season

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:Re Uto do we trust Madge with his mins? I’m just hoping he’s not last years Tino.

It’d be annoying if Uto just plays 50mins and scores around 45 which is what he’s priced at.

Tino got huge minutes, average of 60 per game. He just didn't score well.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:47 pm

Dolphins are doing terrribly with their recruitment so far. Just signed an over the hill JBrom.

Other signings are Felise Kaufusi, Jamayne Isaako, Ray Stone and Valynce Te Whare.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:59 pm

mattnz wrote:

Tino got huge minutes, average of 60 per game. He just didn't score well.
    I’m on the fence right now re Uto. If I was to get him I’d want him to be getting 55-60mins.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:07 pm

I think the main concern with Stefano will be if Peachey plays starting lock.

Then assuming its Twal and Stefano starting with Tamou on the bench - there's not necessarily enough minutes to go around.

If Stefano plays how he did post origin last year there is clear value, just have to see if the pack has changed much for 2022

Lchy
    Lchy

Post by Lchy Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:19 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:
    Paulo has been training at left centre too of late.

As a souths fan that's brilliant news, he improves every game. He'll do a great job in that role.

Fantasy wise, 327k and ctr/wfb DPP is a steal, especially coming in cheaper than Suaalii who a lot will start with. Can see Paulo easily pushing a high 30s average playing on the left edge - heaps of attacking stats on offer
    Lchy
    Lchy

Post by Lchy Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:21 pm

mattnz wrote:Dolphins are doing terrribly with their recruitment so far. Just signed an over the hill JBrom.

Other signings are  Felise Kaufusi, Jamayne Isaako, Ray Stone and Valynce Te Whare.

Heavy mail is they've also got Mark Nicholls and James Wallace with Ryan James also a chance. I actually don't mind it from Wayne, building a team around hard working no nonsense forwards seems like his bread and butter
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    I think the main concern with Stefano will be if Peachey plays starting lock.

Then assuming its Twal and Stefano starting with Tamou on the bench - there's not necessarily enough minutes to go around.

If Stefano plays how he did post origin last year there is clear value, just have to see if the pack has changed much for 2022

There are some on the Tigers forum suggesting that Tamou may play a minor or left-right-out role this year. It would be great to understand how the Tigers will use Peachey. He has the capacity to play big minutes in the middle, which would of course eat into Utoikamanu's minutes.

I also reckon it will be interesting to see what the make-up of the forward pack will be at the Cowboys. Shane Wright is gone and there are extra minutes to be had in the 2RF.

LOCK: Cotter oor Taumalolo
    PROPS: Taumalolo; McLean; Hess; Taunoa-Brown; Burr
    2RF: Dunn; Luki; Gilbert: Nanai
    HOK: Robson; Deardon; Granville

So with Robson not being known as an 80-minute HOK 14 will likely by Deardon or perhaps even Dunn... that is one spot on the bench.

The prop rotation could be Taumalolo; McClean; Hess; and Taunoa Brown...

This sets up a space for two big minute 2RF. Nanai perhaps will take the low minute bench role. I reckon Gilbert is an exciting prospect. His body shape is better matched to 2RF and he has a history of scoring well there. Minutes and role less than expected last year due to a broken leg. One to watch come Team list Tusday
    Honey Badger
    Honey Badger

Post by Honey Badger Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:15 pm

I think the Cowboys see Dunn as a middle now. Id say Gilbert gets one edge spot, not sure about the other
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

There are some on the Tigers forum suggesting that Tamou may play a minor or left-right-out role this year. It would be great to understand how the Tigers will use Peachey. He has the capacity to play big minutes in the middle, which would of course eat into Utoikamanu's minutes.

I also reckon it will be interesting to see what the make-up of the forward pack will be at the Cowboys. Shane Wright is gone and there are extra minutes to be had in the 2RF.

LOCK: Cotter oor Taumalolo
    PROPS: Taumalolo; McLean; Hess; Taunoa-Brown; Burr
    2RF: Dunn; Luki; Gilbert: Nanai
    HOK: Robson; Deardon; Granville

So with Robson not being known as an 80-minute HOK 14 will likely by Deardon or perhaps even Dunn... that is one spot on the bench.

The prop rotation could be Taumalolo; McClean; Hess; and Taunoa Brown...

This sets up a space for two big minute 2RF. Nanai perhaps will take the low minute bench role. I reckon Gilbert is an exciting prospect. His body shape is better matched to 2RF and he has a history of scoring well there. Minutes and role less than expected last year due to a broken leg. One to watch come Team list Tusday

Robson is an interesting one. He played a few 80 minute games last season, including 3 of the last 5 games.

With Cotter in the team, they don't need to carry another hooker on the bench. Could be an interesting one to watch out for at TLT.
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:27 pm

Question 1 for the night:

I’ve tended to avoid young / new bench forwards in the past because they take too long to make cash.
    With Covid situation, I’m reconsidering. They may be more likely to get more minutes / jag a few starts this year? For those that have played the English soccer fantasy, is this what has panned out?
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm

mattnz wrote:Robson is an interesting one. He played a few 80 minute games last season, including 3 of the last 5 games.

With Cotter in the team, they don't need to carry another hooker on the bench. Could be an interesting one to watch out for at TLT.

I reckon this makes Taumalolo a no-go. Destined for shorter more intense bursts it seems. Todd Payton demonstrated his intention last year and no has structured the team to suit. It does make Cotter and perhaps Robson more interesting Gilbert of a starting big minute edge is almost a must-have. DPP and only 458k

Last edited by The Dolphin Conspiracies on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Question 2 for the night

How can you pick which players will go from fantasy hero when they were young to fantasy zero when they are “in their prime” (eg Aaron Woods, Jesse Bromwich).
    And which players will just keep getting better as they move into their prime? (Eg Tohu Harris, Cam McInnes).

I’m contemplating the likely trajectory of players like Lolo, JDB, Jurbo, Angus.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 pm

Jumping Marlin wrote:Question 1 for the night:

I’ve tended to avoid young / new bench forwards in the past because they take too long to make cash.  
    With Covid situation, I’m reconsidering.   They may be more likely to get more minutes / jag a few starts this year?  For those that have played the English soccer fantasy, is this what has panned out?

Covid is only going to keep players out a week at a time, there haven't been any EPL post-vax examples of players being out long-term for illness. It's not going to give young players the sort of sudden month-long runs in the team they need to generate cash.

Where it might make a difference is if the infection rips through a squad and games are called off, screwing up the gameweek system with random teams either playing twice a week later in the season or the table reverting to percentage wins to decide the ladder, but not sure how a fantasy player can mitigate against that.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:41 pm

Jumping Marlin wrote:Question 1 for the night:

With Covid situation, I’m reconsidering.   They may be more likely to get more minutes / jag a few starts this year?  For those that have played the English soccer fantasy, is this what has panned out?

I was thinking similar. I think that the really cheap guys that have high potential to score well, if given opportunity are worth having, as long as they make the bench. Makes guys like Davey great value, even if initially they don't have a huge role.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm

Jumping Marlin wrote:Question 2 for the night

How can you pick which players will go from fantasy hero when they were young to fantasy zero when they are “in their prime” (eg Aaron Woods, Jesse Bromwich).
    And which players will just keep getting better as they move into their prime?  (Eg Tohu Harris, Cam McInnes).

I’m contemplating the likely trajectory of players like Lolo, JDB, Jurbo, Angus.

Lolo's demise last season really surprised me. Has always been a guy to give 100% effort each week, even in some bad teams.

I would generally prefer to get a young player on the rise (i.e. Uto), than counting on a former gun to get back their magic form (i.e. Lolo).

Harris and McInnes are known for their fitness and work ethic. Both have ended up in 80 minute roles that typically score better than the roles they were in previously when playing huge minutes. Josh Jackson is another in the same mould that had a career year at lock last season. Yeo moving to lock the year before did similarly. Seems to be the big move to watch out for.

Last edited by mattnz on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:

Where it might make a difference is if the infection rips through a squad and games are called off, screwing up the gameweek system with random teams either playing twice a week later in the season or the table reverting to percentage wins to decide the ladder, but not sure how a fantasy player can mitigate against that.

Good points. Don’t see the NRL will play 2 games in a week (does bring back memories of the old AMCO cup or the mid week play-off for the 5th spot in the final 5!).
    I wonder if the NRL thought about adding in any free weekends for this year (like the AFL have the week pre semi finals as free)
    The Dolphin Conspiracies
    The Dolphin Conspiracies

Post by The Dolphin Conspiracies Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 pm

Recent iteration.

COVID inspired flexibility to cover as many positions as possible

Grant
    James Pangai-Junior Utoikamanu
    Aitken Gilbert
    Peachey Hastings
    Bird Burton
    Tabuai-Fidow Papenhuyzen Nicholl-Klokstad

Dwalker Schrichton Randall Blore

Ese'ese Wmith Tass Naiduki
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:58 pm

mattnz wrote:

Lolo's demise last season really surprised me. Has always been a guy to give 100% effort each week, even in some bad teams.

I would generally prefer to get a young player on the rise (i.e. Uto), than counting on a former gun to get back their magic form (i.e. Lolo).

Harris and McInnes are known for their fitness and work ethic. Both have ended up in 80 minute roles that typically score better than the roles they were in previously when playing huge minutes. Josh Jackson is another in the same mould that had a career year at lock last season. Yeo moving to lock the year before did similarly. Seems to be the big move to watch out for.

Yeah, I think I’ve been burnt in the past putting too much hope in players reverting to former glories. Maybe falling into same trap with Lolo & JDB both in current version and Jurbo on maybe list.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 pm

Jumping Marlin wrote:

Yeah, I think I’ve been burnt in the past putting too much hope in players reverting to former glories.  Maybe falling into same trap with Lolo & JDB both in current version and Jurbo on maybe list.  

I think if you are looking for a tie breaker between players to select, the most improved players last year were almost all 24 or under - Turbo (24), Cleary (23), Uto (20), Too (22), Fifita (20), iPap (22), Papy (pre-injury, 22), Hynes (24), Burton (21). Age seems to be a pretty good predictor of a player having a chance to be a top 10 value pick for the season.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am