NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title

Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title

Post by Chewie Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:31 pm

ynot wrote:I've been digging into the whole question of "do matchups matter?". I think it's of interest with the season coming to a close which means strength of remaining schedule is becoming more variant, especially with the competition gap. It might also be helpful for H2H players looking to target specific weeks.

Here are some charts looking at the 2021 season for players playing over 40 minutes, to filter out injuries and small role bench players.

This looks at the correlation between game margin and total fantasy points scored. Margin being used as a proxy for the difference in how good a team is in a matchup.

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 A4HUmjD

The R = 0.25 refers to the correlation between the two variables, 0 being no relationship, 1 being a positive relationship.

This means there is a positive but weak relationship, between individual fantasy points and team margin. i.e. The more points a teams wins by the more fantasy points an individual in that team will score.

I think this is fairly obvious, because the events that occur when scoring game points also create fantasy points.

Lets see what happens when we break that down by position:

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 Zw2yNqB

I think this also makes sense, backs are the most effected by game results (matchups), particularly fullbacks and halfbacks both having moderate positive correlations. Centres to a slightly less extent and Five Eighths even less.

Forwards on the other hand it doesn't matter so much, I'm guessing because their fantasy points are generated by tackles and run metres, which remain relatively consistent despite opposition.

What doesn't remain consistent between players is minutes played, so lets look at the previous chart on a points per minute basis:

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 YCWNucS

A slight increased in correlation but nothing major.

To summarise: trade in backs, particularly halves and fullbacks, who have good matchups and don't trade in those that have tough matchups. Don't worry too much about the matchups for forwards!

Pretty obvious, but I'll hopefully dig into this a little deeper though out the week and come up with some recommendations.

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 What-Distance-Should-Be-Used-To-Pattern-A-Shotgun-2.jpg
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title

Post by Revraiser Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 pm

StormTrooper96 wrote:Try celebrations (NFL/Soccer style)... For or Against??

I am all for it. I love seeing the creative things our players are doing, also good for a giggle. I hope it continues on after the fundraising ends.

Love them, can't see any negativity
    Papadontbleach
    Papadontbleach

Post by Papadontbleach Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 pm

In an attempt to offset the Turbo effect and get cash for Cleary, I’m thinking about trading in Latrell and a bulldogs cash out WFB for looping. Then I plan to get Ponga next week and loop the shit out of my WFBs for the rest of the year.

I have 8 trades so I think it is enough to manage it. I feel like WFB is the boom or bust position this year.
    Lemmy KGB
    Lemmy KGB

Post by Lemmy KGB Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 pm

Hey Guys, just need some advice with a tough decision if possible.

Whom to trade out for Turbo (was gonna be Fog, but he's a gun if back). 1) SJ - Injured and mind elsewhere? 2) Averillo - Leaves no CTR cover and I will be looking to loop him (via Suaalii) with Peach when possible.

The loop option and cover makes me feel nice, but not sure if it's that relevant.

Other marginal guys: Koro (surely comes good at least for the near future). Matto (playing very well). Macca (OK as long as 80mins)
    Daveboy
    Daveboy

Post by Daveboy Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Finch wrote:

So what trades are you making this week? Very Happy Basketball

Following the forum guidelines of bringing in players that score tries and don't get injured
    Khany
    Khany

Post by Khany Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Bellyache sitting back thinking ' I know we said there is no timeline on Paps, but let's just name the little fucker anyway'
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Holy hell, I didn't realise Latrell was so damn cheap! Shocked
    mrbrownstone
    mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:12 pm

ynot wrote:I've been digging into the whole question of "do matchups matter?". I think it's of interest with the season coming to a close which means strength of remaining schedule is becoming more variant, especially with the competition gap. It might also be helpful for H2H players looking to target specific weeks.

Here are some charts looking at the 2021 season for players playing over 40 minutes, to filter out injuries and small role bench players.

This looks at the correlation between game margin and total fantasy points scored. Margin being used as a proxy for the difference in how good a team is in a matchup.

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 A4HUmjD

The R = 0.25 refers to the correlation between the two variables, 0 being no relationship, 1 being a positive relationship.

This means there is a positive but weak relationship, between individual fantasy points and team margin. i.e. The more points a teams wins by the more fantasy points an individual in that team will score.

I think this is fairly obvious, because the events that occur when scoring game points also create fantasy points.

Lets see what happens when we break that down by position:

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 Zw2yNqB

I think this also makes sense, backs are the most effected by game results (matchups), particularly fullbacks and halfbacks both having moderate positive correlations. Centres to a slightly less extent and Five Eighths even less.

Forwards on the other hand it doesn't matter so much, I'm guessing because their fantasy points are generated by tackles and run metres, which remain relatively consistent despite opposition.

What doesn't remain consistent between players is minutes played, so lets look at the previous chart on a points per minute basis:

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 77 - To'o tired to think of a witty title - Page 34 YCWNucS

A slight increased in correlation but nothing major.

To summarise: trade in backs, particularly halves and fullbacks, who have good matchups and don't trade in those that have tough matchups. Don't worry too much about the matchups for forwards!

Pretty obvious, but I'll hopefully dig into this a little deeper though out the week and come up with some recommendations.

God this is good stuff, an upvote doesn't feel sufficient.

Also strengthens the argument for Ponga IMO. After he gets past the Roosters this week (touch wood, and hopefully bottoms out), the Knights run home is: Raiders, Broncos, Sharks, Bulldogs, Titans, Broncos.

i.e. half his games against the bottom 2 teams, one against the Titans who love to leak points, plus the Raiders and Sharks, the two teams directly ahead of them in on the ladder, so games they should be well up for if they want to make the 8.

I know the correlation wasn't particularly strong for hookers & locks, but maybe a factor in whether to hold Watson/Brailey too if you still have them. Watson in particular may be good for a few more attacking stats with that draw.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:17 pm

mrbrownstone wrote:

God this is good stuff, an upvote doesn't feel sufficient.

Also strengthens the argument for Ponga IMO. After he gets past the Roosters this week (touch wood, and hopefully bottoms out), the Knights run home is: Raiders, Broncos, Sharks, Bulldogs, Titans, Broncos.

i.e. half his games against the bottom 2 teams, one against the Titans who love to leak points, plus the Raiders and Sharks, the two teams directly ahead of them in on the ladder, so games they should be well up for if they want to make the 8.

I know the correlation wasn't particularly strong for hookers & locks, but maybe a factor in whether to hold Watson/Brailey too if you still have them. Watson in particular may be good for a few more attacking stats with that draw.

That does indeed look good for Ponga. Watson is going nowhere for me, especially against those teams. Brailey is 50/50 but with his value, don't think I'll be moving him.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:27 pm

wolfking wrote:Holy hell, I didn't realise Latrell was so damn cheap! Shocked
    BE of around 60 again this week too!

I’m looking at Tohu to Murray. I do think there will be a game where Murray only plays around 50mins upcoming though. Have looked at Lolo but once Cows cant make the 8 I think they’ll manage his mins again.

Benji still in Sydney, Tatola, Knight and Sele all likely out so Murray has to keep playing good mins I think.
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm

I like the idea of bringing in Murray and Crichton but don’t like the idea of putting Wilton and Radley into EMG.

Interesting problem to try and solve
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:42 pm

I like Murray too.  I'm toying with the idea of going forward heavy over backs for the remainder of the season.  Something like Fog to Murray gives me;

Brailey
    Tolo Haas IPap
    Fifita Crichton
    SJ Moses
    Bird Manu
    Ted Walsh Hynes

Murray AFB CHN Watson

Burton Laurie Peach Verrills

Forward pack and bench looks awesome although pretty much means no Turbo or Cleary.  Cover in all postions though.  However, SJ a worry.  

Just throwing some thinkings out there.  We seem to have focused a lot this year on halves and backs and ynot's data there shows for good reason, but forwards have been getting the job done too and seems adding another gun like Murray may offset weaknesses in other areas.

Mahoney too another solid option for Fog.

Last edited by wolfking on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Savage out for the season with shoulder injury https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07/20/injury-update-savage-out-for-the-season
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Gold Coast Titans will be without key trio Jamal Fogarty, Phil Sami and Erin Clark for Sunday's clash against the Dragons due to injuries.
    Khany
    Khany

Post by Khany Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:53 pm

I've tempted to bomb up with Piggys. (Let's be honest, they are the real footballers) Always considered them a higher HIA risk though.

Last edited by Khany on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Shady2K wrote:Gold Coast Titans will be without key trio Jamal Fogarty, Phil Sami and Erin Clark for Sunday's clash against the Dragons due to injuries.

yeah, even though they said Fog was hopeful of playing, I don't see him worth keeping.

Mitch Rein around or Peach into hooker?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:55 pm

wolfking wrote:

yeah, even though they said Fog was hopeful of playing, I don't see him worth keeping.

It's between fog and SJ as my trade out this week. Leaning fog at this stage
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm

wolfking wrote:I like Murray too.  I'm toying with the idea of going forward heavy over backs for the remainder of the season.  Something like Fog to Murray gives me;

Brailey
    Tolo Haas IPap
    Fifita Crichton
    SJ Moses
    Bird Manu
    Ted Walsh Hynes

Murray AFB CHN Watson

Forward pack and bench looks awesome although pretty much means no Turbo or Cleary.  Cover in all postions though.  However, SJ a worry.  

Just throwing some thinkings out there.  We seem to have focused a lot this year on halves and backs and ynot's data there shows for good reason, but forwards have been getting the job done too and seems adding another gun like Murray may offset weaknesses in other areas.
    Pretty similar to mine mate we have 14 of the same guys.

Differences are you have Ipap, Lolo, Bird, AFB, Watson, Laurie and Burton.

I have Macca, DCE, Turbo, Ramien, Schuster, Haumole and Suaali.

I would love Mahoney but if I got him over Murray I’m short on mids.
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm

wolfking wrote:I like Murray too.  I'm toying with the idea of going forward heavy over backs for the remainder of the season.  Something like Fog to Murray gives me;

Brailey
    Tolo Haas IPap
    Fifita Crichton
    SJ Moses
    Bird Manu
    Ted Walsh Hynes

Murray AFB CHN Watson

Looks very solid mate. I also like Murray but with the way things have panned out recently my plans have been thrown out the window. SJ hopefully comes good, he's shown his capability, hopefully last week was an outlier.

This is my mob at the moment:

Mahoney
    IPap Haas Thompson
    Fifita CHN
    SJ Moses
    Avo Manu
    Turbo Ponga Teddy

Hunt Hynes Walsh Gamble
    Watson Brailey Bird Verrills

I only have 2 trades left. This week was Harris/Reynolds > Haas/Mahoney. One final trade will be used on Hynes > best available. Crichton or Murray at this stage, whenever Hynes gets moved from fullback. Then 1 trade to ride the gauntlet. I'm happy enough with my depth that 1 trade should be enough

Final bench spot is a toss up between Watson, Brailey and Gamble but Gamble's recent form has him there right now as a 50 scorer
    Shady2K
    Shady2K

Post by Shady2K Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 pm

wolfking wrote:

Saw Rein on broadcast last week so think he comes in. May fuck with Peachey's role

Current date/time is Tue May 21, 2024 7:15 am