NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 35 - Cheers, Slug

Mr Snrub
    Mr Snrub

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 35 - Cheers, Slug - Page 39 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 35 - Cheers, Slug

Post by Mr Snrub Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 am

Archer wrote:I wonder if this season will at least lead them to changing points for KM. I get that fantasy isn't and will never be an accurate way of assessing players IRL performance, but I'm not sure any format of weighing up the halves should place so much weighting on the distance they kick. We might as well rename it kickers/punters.

Points for 1 on 1 tackles, less points for KM a must IMO. "Nice to have" would be distinguishing between the various severities of "missing a tackle", which is pretty tricky so maybe just distinguishing the difference between missing a tackle that leads to a LB/LBA/T/TA vs one that doesn't.

I've always viewed kick metres as a balancing tool to make gun halves as appealing as forwards. It does get a little absurd though that someone can get huge scores just from booting the fuck out of the ball with no real purpose.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 35 - Cheers, Slug - Page 39 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 35 - Cheers, Slug

Post by Fortitude Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:59 am

Did JFH get a heft downgrade? Swear he was 63 or something
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am

Tevaga over Haas seems like the right choice* so far this week, which also meant playing Riki over Leniu

Think Riki out is a bigger priority since he looks set for a 20 minute bench role and is in my 17 every week. Will toss up running Schuster as second row with no cover(again) or punting Riki to an EDG option
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am

Archer wrote:I wonder if this season will at least lead them to changing points for KM. I get that fantasy isn't and will never be an accurate way of assessing players IRL performance, but I'm not sure any format of weighing up the halves should place so much weighting on the distance they kick. We might as well rename it kickers/punters.

Points for 1 on 1 tackles, less points for KM a must IMO. "Nice to have" would be distinguishing between the various severities of "missing a tackle", which is pretty tricky so maybe just distinguishing the difference between missing a tackle that leads to a LB/LBA/T/TA vs one that doesn't.

Edit: Just before people assume this is another Cleary whinge its not (he benefits from the KM sure, but he'd score well anyway), its when I look at things like Milford (and potentially Croft if last night continues) averaging pretty much the same as Wighton, Luai and Williams .

Teams play styles have completely changed in the last few years. Previously, we only saw Campese and Soward kicking the piss out of the ball with most teams splitting kicking fairly evenly between the half and 5/8. But last year we saw a move to most teams using a dominant kicker, with the other primarily a ball runner. This was the reason I loaded up on halves to start the year, they have a floor in the 40s and ceiling, well we saw what happened last night.
    Loomer
    Loomer

Post by Loomer Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am

What's the rush to sell Leniu? Lowest minutes yet. He's not going to lose massive cash and injury to prop or decent score can get him ticking along. He can sit in my EMG until 13 ideally
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am

We could just halve the value of kick metres, for Cleary alone. That brings his season average down to 83
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 am

Mr Snrub wrote:

I've always viewed kick metres as a balancing tool to make gun halves as appealing as forwards. It does get a little absurd though that someone can get huge scores just from booting the fuck out of the ball with no real purpose.  

Normally the halves that have massive kick meter games score next to nothing on anything else (eg Lachlan Lewis). Cleary, and to a lesser degree DCE are just complete packages from a fantasy standpoint - they will find points no matter what happens.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:09 am

Mr Snrub wrote:

Yeah I can see why it was that way, but we've got scoring for things like forced restarts, turn overs, 40/20's etc that make me think we could tone down the base KM points. Or at the absolute least, count kicking it dead as an error.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Teams play styles have completely changed in the last few years. Previously, we only saw Campese and Soward kicking the piss out of the ball with most teams splitting kicking fairly evenly between the half and 5/8. But last year we saw a move to most teams using a dominant kicker, with the other primarily a ball runner. This was the reason I loaded up on halves to start the year, they have a floor in the 40s and ceiling, well we saw what happened last night.
    Eh, I can't be assed checking the split of KM across all the teams, so I'll take your word but (and I have a dogshit memory so could also be wrong on this one) I'm sure we've also added more ways the (better) halves can score over the last few years as well. Seems like they added these other scoring mechanisms and never went back to adjust base KM points.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 am

SoylentGreen wrote:

Normally the halves that have massive kick meter games score next to nothing on anything else (eg Lachlan Lewis). Cleary, and to a lesser degree DCE are just complete packages from a fantasy standpoint - they will find points no matter what happens.

Cleary is comparable to other top halves in certain categories, but noone else can touch him in all of them

Tackles like DCE, kicks goals like Moses, assists tries like SJ, runs the ball like Pearce. These guys all have huge base from kick metres but can't put it all together the same way Cleary can so all end up a tier below
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 am

my tv broke wrote:We could just halve the value of kick metres, for Cleary alone. That brings his season average down to 83
    Yeah as I said, not a whinge about him specifically, more the scoring of the halves in general irks me. That's a good example though of why they could adjust the scoring, he'd still be chin and shoulders above the pack, but a bit closer to his halves partner who is also having a massive influence on the outcome of their games and other halves who are having a bit of a mare won't be averaging the same as a premier prop like JFH or fullback like RTS.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:25 am

Mr Snrub wrote:

I agree, but there are plenty of forwards with no real skill other than having other forwards run into them multiple times a game.

If you are going to give 1 point just for making a tackle, you need to do something to make halves and backs able to score points too
    NoSpeakaAnyInglis
    NoSpeakaAnyInglis

Post by NoSpeakaAnyInglis Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Not only that, but I think with the set restarts I've noticed alot of teams (the good ones) kicking early in the tackle count to get field position. Early kick when the defense is out of position, then pin them down with a good kick chase. This means we're seeing more long kicks. Would love a stat on how many times Cleary kicked on the 3rd or 4th last night and for what meterage.
    Ozymandias
    Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 am

whall15 wrote:I'm an idiot, I played Niu at 17 to loop without thinking that he'd lock out straight away, now I cop Leniu's 18 instead of Simpkin or Fui.

so really I'm 3c/321 instead of 2c/303.

I've literally just checked my team and seen that I've done exactly the same stupid thing! I'm now 4c/360 instead of 3/342 .... so annoying!
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 am

NoSpeakaAnyInglis wrote:

Not only that, but I think with the set restarts I've noticed alot of teams (the good ones) kicking early in the tackle count to get field position. Early kick when the defense is out of position, then pin them down with a good kick chase. This means we're seeing more long kicks. Would love a stat on how many times Cleary kicked on the 3rd or 4th last night and for what meterage.

haha pretty sure he kicked one from his own 20m last night that nearly reached the try line.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 am

Mr Snrub wrote:

I'd probably keep kms but make kicking it dead an error for -2.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 am

I am completely prepared for Broncos to go on a winning streak.

Low Key hope they can string a few more games like that together!
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Couple questions:

1) Am I right in thinking Host will not be on the edge that is attacking the Nofo - Roberts - Ofa edge?
    2) I noticed when MF left, there were several posts that implied the same stats people are being used for VSDT and for NRLF. This may well be the case, but the actual stats are quite different.

An example last night was Haas:

NRLF 1 TB
    VSDT 4 TB

An even more extreme example was last week Dufty:
    NRLF 2 Tries
    VSDT 3 Tries

I think the latter is just a cock-up, but the TB, MT, and I think even tackles and MG are quite different across the board each week.

So, just wondering - same stats guys still and there are multiple measures of the same thing? Or actually different stats guys?

Just checked a few stats and they are different across basically every category. So VSDT must have changed their stats provider.

But people complaining about Cleary ghost points is one thing - giving Dufty a try that never happened is something else. Imagine if Fantasy or Supercoach did that.
    VSDT is lucky that they have no playerbase, but what happens if someone wins a cash prize on the back of something like that.

I've just sent a query through their site to see if they will fix up scores.

A couple of years ago Fantasy deducted points from players for missing shots at penalty goal (not actually a scoring penalty) and they never fixed it up. For some reason was only missed penalties and not missed conversions (I'm guessing it came from soccer scoring where missed penalties are a thing), so only impacted 1 or 2 players.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am

Milchcow wrote:

I agree, but there are plenty of forwards with no real skill other than having other forwards run into them multiple times a game.

If you are going to give 1 point just for making a tackle, you need to do something to make halves and backs able to score points too
    Double LBA and FDO then. Move TA up to 6 points (so its double a TB at least), they have other knobs to adjust. Currently you can put a guy through a hole (6 recorded last night), get your team another set of 6 (happened twice) or kick the ball 40m over the course of a game and they are all weighted equally, I know which of these I value most from the halves in my team. I also think adding more points for 1 on 1 tackles would benefit the better halves as well as ctrs (I'm sure if I looked back I'd see instances of Luai and Cleary making 1 on 1 tackles).
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:40 am

my tv broke wrote:

They probably decided it wasn't worth the cost for dev hours for something that wasn't expected to happen more than a couple of times in a season.

IMO the game needs less scoring categories, not more.

You don't need to try and award fantasy points for every single thing that happens on the football field.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:57 am