NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 19 - I told you so

Aardvark
    Aardvark

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 19 - I told you so  - Page 24 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 19 - I told you so

Post by Aardvark Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 2:22

Didn’t watch a single minute Saturday or Sunday as I was up the beautiful Sunshine Coast for the weekend and came back to play two games of indoor 5 a side and catch the delightful CW Stoneking live this evening (first live show in fuckin ages). Arsed 970 or so but feel my few good picks are covering my many dodgy ones. How did Lam play???
    DarkKnight
    DarkKnight

NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 19 - I told you so  - Page 24 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 Part 19 - I told you so

Post by DarkKnight Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 2:30

Teeth Eater wrote:

Not even sure how to list my team - do I list in the monster-fuck that was this weekend, or how I'll roll it out this week? Guess I'll go with the latter or I'll punch myself in the face if I have to see what I did this week again. So this is how it'll look this week (of course I don't expect Matterson to play, but this is full strength);

Brailey
    Crichton / TKO / Watson
    Fifita / Matterson
    Munster / Brooks
    Niu / Bird
    Pappy / Laurie / Isaako

Turpin / Riki / Liddle / Milford
    Averillo / Stefano / Moylan / Davey

At this point in time I only plan to move Davey on for probably an Alvaro (or Schuster?), but I'm hoping to hold Matterson hoping he's only out a week or two. For the record, for those curious, I only have 16K in the bank so no chance to turn Matterson into Teddy. Milford and Moylan are looking like nightmares, but I'm going to wait at least a week or two on those two. I won't play either in my 17 without a loop option either. Whoever I bring in for Davey will round out my 17.

The team is weak, but it's been my decisions on who to play, and also some bad luck with the Matterson and Davey injuries that have really cost me so far.

Matterson > Cleary

Fund it with the best downgrade that raises the funds probably using Turpin.

Nrl4Life
    Nrl4Life

Post by Nrl4Life Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 2:31

I've 88k in the bank. My plan to get Teddy is take a risk on Turbo and hope he makes some cash
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 2:44

robelgordo wrote:951 plus/minus a few updates, looking a bit better than last weeks effort.

Main issue at this early stage:
    It’s fair to say having Lam/Milf/Croker/Moylan vying for my 2nd HLF position is problematic. In hindsight, I  should have gone the Chad.

I was totally going to pull the trigger on Lam to Chad this arvo but felt it was too reactionary after one week....next week too late with SJ back in round 5/6/7? Achilles is a prick of an injury .
    Ramitinmyhaaas
    Ramitinmyhaaas

Post by Ramitinmyhaaas Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 2:46

Hey guys, just made my assistant coach thread and was seeking some advice on how to fit cleary into my team + any changes that are necessary in your opinions. Would be awesome if some of you kings would be kind enough to take some time outta your day to help a brother out! Much love.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 3:05

DarkKnight wrote:

Matterson > Cleary

Fund it with the best downgrade that raises the funds probably using Turpin.

Agree fully. Yep Teeth you gotta get Cleary in!
    Donkeyyyyyy
    Donkeyyyyyy

Post by Donkeyyyyyy Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 3:24

Has there been news on CHT's injury? Thinking he might have to become Collins next week
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 3:42

Donkeyyyyyy wrote:Has there been news on CHT's injury? Thinking he might have to become Collins next week

I've read precautionary moonboot and will miss one week.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 6:10

Just a random thought about the famous Cotric "hybrid" role. It's completely redundant because teams will kick to Meaney 95% of the time because... well, you would.

The only reason Cotric got any kick returns at all in the first half was that Cleary wanted to kick into the swimming pool in the bottom right corner. Those conditions aren't there every week, or indeed in the second half, when Cotric mysteriously stopped scoring

He'll still be a good scorer for centre, if you want to spend money there early, because he can certainly bust a tackle, but not because of "hybrid".
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 6:47

Ponga Yeo the Mann wrote:Then Davey to someone

Problem is, we're running out of 'someone's to pick..... I might try Corey HW this week...
    Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

Post by Rapture_NRL Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 7:41

Teeth Eater wrote:

Haha. You can help by hacking my computer and/or phone and deleting my team for 2021 and just let me come back in 2022?

Where is it going wrong? Quick summary;

- Didn't start with Cleary and/or Teddy
    - Started with Matterson
    - Played Moylan over Isaako in my WFB
    - Traded out Lodge for Milford and proceeded to play Milford in 17
    - Traded out Croker for Davey and played Davey in 17
    - Played Riki in EMG
    - Played Liddle in EMG

So, in summary, I have actively fucked up every single decision I could possibly have made so far this season.

I swear this game is 80% luck. All those calls you made were well reasoned. Don't panic too much. I'm ranked 15k with no Cleary and I post here, no shame haha
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 8:25

Rapture_NRL wrote:

I swear this game is 80% luck. All those calls you made were well reasoned. Don't panic too much. I'm ranked 15k with no Cleary and I post here, no shame haha
    Just inside 15000 myself, no shame, long season

edit. Check that just inside 18000 haha! Been here plenty early season only the odd season I’ve ever been outside 1000 at the end

Last edited by Welshy on Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 8:49; edited 1 time in total
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 8:33

928 this week sitting pretty close to the 10k mark.

How good would Lodge being good to go this week?
    Cantbeatwinners
    Cantbeatwinners

Post by Cantbeatwinners Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 8:35

Had a 917 and 905 and still only just under the 11,000 mark. The 4 or 5 toss of a coin picks are the difference between a very good score and a good score. I always feel like I'm not so lucky, and pick the dud or unfortunate player, this seems to be the case early doors this season, but during the course of a season, a lot of picks go your way. So hopefully I get a better run going forwards with the picks. Keep plugging away everyone, it's impossible to get every decision spot on, just try to enjoy the ride and the rugby.
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:12

Teeth Eater wrote:

It has definitely crossed my mind. I had a pretty awesome year last year, but that included one round I remember well where everything just went wrong. Injuries, low scores and wrong players in EMG all in one round. But I did get past it and had a really good year. I'm hoping I've just done it all in round 2 this year. It already seems irrecoverable to get into a strong ranking this year, but my primary focus has always been my work H2H, which I'm still hopeful for. So I'll soldier on and hope this was as bad as it gets all year. My round 1 was really poor compared to all you guys, but nothing in the ballpark of this round.

I don't think you should worry too much.
    The way I see it, is that there are 21 decisions to make for a starting squad, then you have 34 trade decisions, 25 Captaincy decisions, and up to 4 players each round that you decide not to play (i.e. NPR) - of course injuries have a habit of reducing the amount of decisions made there.

That means across a whole season up to about 150 decisions.
    Most of your squad is pretty cookie cutter (and I wouldn't worry about), and some of your "twist" selections haven't come off - it's a minor set back in the scheme of things. Honestly, if you nailed the rest of your decisions from here on in, you'd probably win the whole Fantasy comp by 500 points (because EVERYONE will make many regrettable decisions).

This year Reed Mahoney came out of the blocks fastest - if the game flow had allowed it, it could've just as easily been Matterson to banner up and get off to a flyer rather than an HIA in Round 2.

Last year I had Brodie Croft (terrible selection) go off with an injury in Round 2 (and 4 points) and I started with Carty (what was I thinking?!?), it sucks at the time, but none of those decisions were season-enders, I made plenty, plenty of other bad decisions and still ended up with a not horrendous rank - because the season is long (and this year it's longer and has the byes).

TLDR; Keep your chin up, try not to panic trade (the people above you will make enough mistakes to catch you up) and try to focus on what is long term best for your team rather than what everyone else is scoring this week. Then sit back and enjoy climbing the ranks!
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:15

easytiger wrote:

I don't think you should worry too much.
    The way I see it, is that there are 21 decisions to make for a starting squad, then you have 34 trade decisions, 25 Captaincy decisions, and up to 4 players each round that you decide not to play (i.e. NPR) - of course injuries have a habit of reducing the amount of decisions made there.

That means across a whole season up to about 150 decisions.
    Most of your squad is pretty cookie cutter (and I wouldn't worry about), and some of your "twist" selections haven't come off - it's a minor set back in the scheme of things. Honestly, if you nailed the rest of your decisions from here on in, you'd probably win the whole Fantasy comp by 500 points (because EVERYONE will make many regrettable decisions).

This year Reed Mahoney came out of the blocks fastest - if the game flow had allowed it, it could've just as easily been Matterson to banner up and get off to a flyer rather than an HIA in Round 2.

Last year I had Brodie Croft (terrible selection) go off with an injury in Round 2 (and 4 points) and I started with Carty (what was I thinking?!?), it sucks at the time, but none of those decisions were season-enders, I made plenty, plenty of other bad decisions and still ended up with a not horrendous rank - because the season is long (and this year it's longer and has the byes).

TLDR; Keep your chin up, try not to panic trade (the people above you will make enough mistakes to catch you up) and try to focus on what is long term best for your team rather than what everyone else is scoring this week. Then sit back and enjoy climbing the ranks!    
    Outstanding post
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:20

Teeth Eater wrote:

Not even sure how to list my team - do I list in the monster-fuck that was this weekend, or how I'll roll it out this week? Guess I'll go with the latter or I'll punch myself in the face if I have to see what I did this week again. So this is how it'll look this week (of course I don't expect Matterson to play, but this is full strength);

Brailey
    Crichton / TKO / Watson
    Fifita / Matterson
    Munster / Brooks
    Niu / Bird
    Pappy / Laurie / Isaako

Turpin / Riki / Liddle / Milford
    Averillo / Stefano / Moylan / Davey

At this point in time I only plan to move Davey on for probably an Alvaro (or Schuster?), but I'm hoping to hold Matterson hoping he's only out a week or two. For the record, for those curious, I only have 16K in the bank so no chance to turn Matterson into Teddy. Milford and Moylan are looking like nightmares, but I'm going to wait at least a week or two on those two. I won't play either in my 17 without a loop option either. Whoever I bring in for Davey will round out my 17.

The team is weak, but it's been my decisions on who to play, and also some bad luck with the Matterson and Davey injuries that have really cost me so far.

If Matto is out, you'll have no edge cover with Riki starting. Doesn't seem to be any cheap edge players from memory you could get for Davey. Maybe just roll without cover and trade Matto.

Others are saying get Cleary but don't see how you'd get the coin. Schuster in for Davey, does that give you enough coin. Wait til lockout and maybe team lists mate. You're team is fine, it's just Ted and Cleary going big both weeks puts you on the back foot. It'll even out.
    Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

Post by Rapture_NRL Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:31

Anybody jumping off Tino? Thinking I could potentially shift him and Capewell. Looking at Sitili or Josh Jackson
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:35

Rapture_NRL wrote:Anybody jumping off Tino? Thinking I could potentially shift him and Capewell. Looking at Sitili or Josh Jackson

Depends what he and Lam could get me, but potentially.
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Mon 22 Mar 2021 - 9:36

My lower ownership punts so far have been a little hit and miss.

Hits: Welch, Tupouniua, Momorovski
    Miss: Brimson, NAS

They have evened each other out over the first couple of weeks averaging 46.5 between them which isn’t bad with a CTR in the mix.

Not sure wether to fix the misses straight away or continue on

Can also throw Turpin, Lam, Lodge (injured) and Reimis into that group of guys but feel like they are in the middle somewhere between hit and miss

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 6:57