NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2021 - In my opinion, this is part 8

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2021 - In my opinion, this is part 8 - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 - In my opinion, this is part 8

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:13 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I like the idea of names on the jerseys but the thought of having random numbers, just willy nilly and all over the shop, is something I will never be on board with.
    In fact, I wonder how you blokes can actually live your lives with such an obvious lust for anarchy and disorder???
    I bet none of you arrange your pen's in obvious order of colour, size and usage.
    Absolute savages.

But if you have names on jerseys, surely it makes sense to have the number remain constant too.

Are clubs expected to print different sets of jerseys every week based on what team gets named? Gotta change that Mbye 6 to Mbye 1 to Mbye 14 back to Mbye 1 again.

30 minutes into a game, 8 and 10 no longer reflect who the props are. Does it really matter if its different at kick off too?
    I mean sometimes its hard to work out if the big strong bloke running straight at the defense is a prop or a halfback without seeing the number on hi sback, but I think most people are smart enough to work it out.

ytsb
    ytsb

NRL Fantasy 2021 - In my opinion, this is part 8 - Page 40 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2021 - In my opinion, this is part 8

Post by ytsb Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Milchcow wrote:

But if you have names on jerseys, surely it makes sense to have the number remain constant too.

Are clubs expected to print different sets of jerseys every week based on what team gets named? Gotta change that Mbye 6 to Mbye 1 to Mbye 14 back to Mbye 1 again.

30 minutes into a game, 8 and 10 no longer reflect who the props are. Does it really matter if its different at kick off too?
    I mean sometimes its hard to work out if the big strong bloke running straight at the defense is a prop or a halfback without seeing the number on hi sback, but I think most people are smart enough to work it out.

For the average Joe, only having the identities of 2 x 14-17 to figure out sure beats the hell out of trying to work out who all 34 players are. NRL is a game that markets itself as all inclusive. Adding random numbers just confuses things for no benefit
    AL
    AL

Post by AL Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I like the idea of names on the jerseys but the thought of having random numbers, just willy nilly and all over the shop, is something I will never be on board with.
    In fact, I wonder how you blokes can actually live your lives with such an obvious lust for anarchy and disorder???
    I bet none of you arrange your pen's in obvious order of colour, size and usage.
    Absolute savages.

Showing my age and OCD (CDO?) but couldn't agree more. Milchy's link to Superleague game was all kinds of wrong.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 pm

ytsb wrote:

For the average Joe, only having the identities of 2 x 14-17 to figure out sure beats the hell out of trying to work out who all 34 players are. NRL is a game that markets itself as all inclusive. Adding random numbers just confuses things for no benefit

You're right I guess.

The average league fan is a lot dumber than the average AFL fan. Have to cater to their inability to count past 17
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 pm

Surely you'd have 1-30 based on your squad and keep the number for the season?
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 pm

AL wrote:

Showing my age and OCD (CDO?) but couldn't agree more. Milchy's link to Superleague game was all kinds of wrong.

Haha it certainly made me want to stick to numbers based on position.
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Is jersey 51 still available?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Just think about the over-analysis you could put into pre-season squads.

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 12 - definitely going to be first choice 2nd row

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 3 - must avoid him

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 7 - well he did win a Grand Final in that number, must be good luck.
    AL
    AL

Post by AL Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Milchcow wrote:Just think about the over-analysis you could put into pre-season squads.

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 12 - definitely going to be first choice 2nd row

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 3 - must avoid him

Mitchell Aubusson has squad number 7 - well he did win a Grand Final in that number, must be good luck.

I guess it would help solve Lawrie v Host and Dearden v Croft.

Last edited by AL on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i'm special)
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:46 pm

Milchcow wrote:

No, it makes no sense whatsoever....

Granted my idea of both set numbers and names creates a minor logistical challenge.....but they have to name team lists by Tuesday and have a new bloody jersey every week anyway.

Worst case scenario this generates an extra job for an assistant tailor and we are doing our bit for the economy, post Jobkeeper finishing up.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

No, it makes no sense whatsoever....

Granted my idea of both set numbers and names creates a minor logistical challenge.....but they have to name team lists by Tuesday and have a new bloody jersey every week anyway.

Worst case scenario this generates an extra job for an assistant tailor and we are doing our bit for the economy, post Jobkeeper finishing up.

I think the easiest way to do it is...

#1-30. So at the start of the year teams name their top 30 and then that player gets that number for the year. If a player comes over mid year he takes the players number in which he was swapped for. Let's say Ponga is #1 for the Knights and Tex is #16... The whole year Tex will be #16, no matter what position he plays... so based on injuries, guys making team on merit, etc. a team could end up from 1-17 like this

I think either do it this way or don't do it at all; otherwise, it would create too much work with team lists changing all the time.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Home jersey
    Away Jersey
    Indigenous jersey
    Women in league jersey
    Anzac jersey
    Mardi gras week jersey
    Cultural awareness jersey
    Pansexual inclusive jersey
    Junior League Round jersey
    Magic round jersey

They have a different jersey on every week as it is, so keeping the numbers and changing the names would not be that big a financial impost on the clubs. 
    As that I have intimate relations with a woman who takes the jersey orders for a Sydney based club, they are getting new jerseys every round. May be not the whole set but a fair chunk. They  don't all get thrown into the centre of the dressing room at the end of the game and this week it's JWH's turn to take them home to his mum to wash and bring them back next week.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Players having a set jersey for the season would be a good way to ensure they dont put on weight either. Would look a bit silly with an undersized jersey on the field
    AL
    AL

Post by AL Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:01 pm

StormTrooper96 wrote:

I think the easiest way to do it is...

#1-30. So at the start of the year teams name their top 30 and then that player gets that number for the year. If a player comes over mid year he takes the players number in which he was swapped for. Let's say Ponga is #1 for the Knights and Tex is #16... The whole year Tex will be #16, no matter what position he plays... so based on injuries, guys making team on merit, etc. a team could end up from 1-17 like this

I think either do it this way or don't do it at all; otherwise, it would create too much work with team lists changing all the time.

I think it seems like an ok idea until you see it written down. That's horrendous. Especially when you add a similarly chaotic list next to it for the other team. Like a mad dog's breakfast - all over the shop.

Positions in League and Union have numbers, and hopefully continue to do so.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:01 pm

mattnz wrote:Players having a set jersey for the season would be a good way to ensure they dont put on weight either. Would look a bit silly with an undersized jersey on the field

maybe gen pop needs this Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
    danaconda86
    danaconda86

Post by danaconda86 Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:14 pm

Good compromise would be to adopt something similar to the NFL, where players can choose from a set range of numbers based on their position:

1–9: quarterbacks, kickers, and punters
    10–19: quarterbacks, kickers, punters, and wide receivers
    20–39: running backs and defensive backs
    40–49: running backs, defensive backs, linebackers, and tight ends
    50–59: linebackers, defensive linemen, and centers
    60–79: offensive linemen and defensive linemen
    80–89: wide receivers and tight ends
    90–99: linebackers and defensive linemen

That way, you get used to certain numbers being a position e.g. #87 is usually a TE: Gronk, Kelce etc. But there's is also room for the number to become synonymous with a player i.e. Tom Brady 12, Pat Mahomes 15 etc.

Bottom line - it would boost jersey sales which has to be good for the clubs/NRL.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:23 pm

my tv broke wrote:

maybe gen pop needs this Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

If you are a bloke post about 30 odd and you don't keep a few optimistic medium (or large....) items of apparel.........you are probably lying.
    L-Jimmy
    L-Jimmy

Post by L-Jimmy Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

If you are a bloke post about 30 odd and you don't keep a few optimistic medium (or large....) items of apparel.........you are probably lying.

Ambition jeans? Yep, got a few. They’ll be right into rotation one i get off the booze and back on the bike.

Starting tomorrow. Tuesday latest. Definitely starting April.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 pm

mattnz wrote:Players having a set jersey for the season would be a good way to ensure they dont put on weight either. Would look a bit silly with an undersized jersey on the field

Might enforce this at five a side for comedy value given we only have one player below 35.
    SoylentGreen
    SoylentGreen

Post by SoylentGreen Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:43 pm

L-Jimmy wrote:

Ambition jeans? Yep, got a few. They’ll be right into rotation one i get off the booze and back on the bike.

Starting tomorrow. Tuesday latest. Definitely starting April.

I weighed myself for the first time in years the other day. I'm about 20kg heavier than I was when I was in my early 20s (85kg vs 65kg). I'm by no means overweight now - but I look at that and think how insanely underweight I must have been then.

I wore the same shirt that I wore on my wedding day (15years ago) on our aniversary last year - still fit pretty well, but I had to give my suit pants to Vinnies years ago - not only am I never going to be a 29in waist again, but I can't even get my legs into the super-skinny style that was in fashion at the time

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:28 pm