NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 56 - The one hour backflip

StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 56 - The one hour backflip - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 56 - The one hour backflip

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:18 am

my tv broke wrote:Personal feelings towards Gus aside, he is pretty spot on with everything he says here

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/phil-gould-warns-david-fifita-to-avoid-chasing-money-in-broncos-titans-decision/7c86ef04-9390-4846-97dc-b086f5502cc5

That is fucking amazing!!! I love this piece. Hate the bloke... but love the piece
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 56 - The one hour backflip - Page 16 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 56 - The one hour backflip

Post by my tv broke Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:20 am

Regulator wrote:It's no guarantee he is going to make a lot of money, his career could be ripped away any week he plays. He could take this one year Broncos deal, snap his leg next week and that's the only money he ever gets out of footy ever again.

Meh, its just money. people so conditioned in society to think money is the be all and end all of life. 700k next year, or 1.2mil next year isn't going to alter his life in any meaningful way 15 years down the track. Footballers aren't smart enough to put that extra money to good use anyway, his mum will get a house regardless, might just have a couple extra bedrooms and bathrooms if he takes the big deal.

A 20 year old kid doesn't think about the possibility of losing their career to injury. At 20 years old you are invincible. "It won't happen to me". Soon as these thoughts enter your mind you become Darius Boyd out there, scared of contact.

This isn't about whether the Broncos keep him for me personally, I have no issue if he leaves.

Last edited by my tv broke on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

Post by easytiger Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 am

my tv broke wrote:

lol, that's pretty ridiculous tbh

NRL's salary cap laws state a player cannot be registered on a contract worth considerably less than his market value.
    Forgetting the Titans being overs, I would've thought $200-300K is considerably less than what most clubs seem to be prepared to pay for him.

The NRL put that rule in their laws to create an even competition - so they either hold to it or they don't...
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:27 am

easytiger wrote:

NRL's salary cap laws state a player cannot be registered on a contract worth considerably less than his market value.
    Forgetting the Titans being overs, I would've thought $200-300K is considerably less than what most clubs seem to be prepared to pay for him.

The NRL put that rule in their laws to create an even competition - so they either hold to it or they don't...

The NRL should be preventing clubs from offering a 20 year old player who has had one good season the richest deal in NRL history tbh. The Titans offer is irresponsible imo.

If you think 700k is not fair money for Fifita then I'm not sure I can help you
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 am

Joey Superior wrote:

I was keen to go Katoa > Tevaga but not sure about him staying healthy. Could still take the punt but needs to be this week.

Also this: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/09/unlocking-combinations-key-to-crichtons-resurgence-robinson/

"I’m feeling really comfortable now with the team and I think the best is still yet to come." - Angus

In defence he's averaging more than 45 tackles and 120 metres in his 80-minute performances. - That's a good sign even though Roosters are scoring well.

Get. In. My. Team.
    So its all about combination with guys around him, but this week he is playing on the opposite edge where he doesn't have those combinations it seems.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 am

Anyway, who's grabbing Dugan at 399k with the fullback role Twisted Evil Beer
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:30 am

mattnz wrote:
    So its all about combination with guys around him, but this week he is playing on the opposite edge where he doesn't have those combinations it seems.

Why would he move to the left, to accommodate Aubbuson? Seems unlikely to me?
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:30 am

my tv broke wrote:

Meh, its just money. people so conditioned in society to think money is the be all and end all of life. 700k next year, or 1.2mil next year isn't going to alter his life in any meaningful way 15 years down the track. Footballers aren't smart enough to put that extra money to good use anyway, his mum will get a house regardless, might just have a couple extra bedrooms and bathrooms if he takes the big deal.

A 20 year old kid doesn't think about the possibility of losing their career to injury. At 20 years old you are invincible. "It won't happen to me". Soon as these thoughts enter your mind you become Darius Boyd out there, scared of contact.

This isn't about whether the Broncos keep him for me personally, I have no issue if he leaves.

I remember listening to Triple M one day when the Panthers were playing and this was when Gus was still at the helm and he was talking about how he makes sure all the players have their own financial advisor and that they invest in homes and other stuff to ensure their future is safe and they will always have something to fall back on. Not sure if any other clubs do that... I know here in Townsville, all the players get their homes for like $1 (so to speak) because Lancini Homes is super involved with the Cows and they do special brown paper bag deals for their players.
    Regulator
    Regulator

Post by Regulator Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:31 am

my tv broke wrote:

Meh, its just money. people so conditioned in society to think money is the be all and end all of life.

Money isn't the be all and end all of life, but it's pretty important. If you can secure yourself several million dollars, you know if you are smart you can take care of yourself and your family very well, for a very long time. And that is a very important part of life.

Allowing 20 year old kids to have that mentality is incredibly shortsighted and outdated. I know someone who was a very, very, very highly touted young Rugby player. Played all the international age group sides, and had one international cap at the top level as a young debutant, then had his career stopped in its tracks. Fortunately, he was smart enough to also be studying, going through uni while the world was telling him how amazing he was going to be at Rugby, so he was able to rebound well, many don't.

There's a reason that over the years there has been further and further emphasis in the states on educating a lot of these young athletes on the fact that things can go south very quickly.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:32 am

easytiger wrote:

Either way it's a one year contract.
    I'd suggest the pressure and expectation he will be under will be greater at the Broncos than at the Titans - and the Titans look likely to be the more stable team next year.

Personally I don't believe the Bronco's should be allowed to sign him in any case - not for $700K when if rumours are to be believed the Titans have offered him 1.25mil, and the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs had offered 1mil/year contracts. These deals are meant to be subject to the NRL auditor approving them as appropriate to market rate, and regardless of whether he is worth a mil a year, it seemingly is the market rate for him.

Latrell and the Rabbitohs would like a word about market value contracts...
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 am

my tv broke wrote:

The NRL should be preventing clubs from offering a 20 year old player who has had one good season the richest deal in NRL history tbh. The Titans offer is irresponsible imo.

With you here MTB

Isn’t Tino on something like 700K a year next year at the Titans? Bloke has played a handful of NRL games.

Teams are willing to throw crazy amounts of cash at these young players in the hope they fix their problems, these players don’t have the leadership group to run a bunch of 22 year olds around the park, they lose a few games and these guys on big money are at fault, lose all confidence, and revert into a shell… Look at Ash Taylor.

Have a look at Rabbitohs and that young FB they just signed for like what 400K a year… never played a game of NRL footy and earning more than probably one third of the other NRL players
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 am

Erin Moleman wrote:First week I’ve been absolutely clueless. Need to upgrade or trade JTB and have $0 and no real cash out options without stuffing my team up
    Same, a few hours out and not sure what to do.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 am

StormTrooper96 wrote:

With you here MTB

Isn’t Tino on something like 700K a year next year at the Titans? Bloke has played a handful of NRL games.

Teams are willing to throw crazy amounts of cash at these young players in the hope they fix their problems, these players don’t have the leadership group to run a bunch of 22 year olds around the park, they lose a few games and these guys on big money are at fault, lose all confidence, and revert into a shell… Look at Ash Taylor.

Have a look at Rabbitohs and that young FB they just signed for like what 400K a year… never played a game of NRL footy and earning more than probably one third of the other NRL players

Broncos signed Haas to the richest deal for a teenager in NRL history. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/payne-haas-to-sign-record-breaking-3-5-million-deal-with-broncos-20180718-p4zs6y.html
    At the moment that is looking like a steal. Clubs determining what a player is worth is one of the aspect that separates the good clubs from the bad. If the Titans have bad management that thinks offering Fifita 1.25 mil deal is a good decision they should be allowed to make it.
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:44 am

my tv broke wrote:

Let me reiterate:

The market value is what the market is prepared to pay - which by all indications is about 1mil.
    It doesn't matter one iota what I or you think is his fair value.
    Maybe the NRL could have rules around what younger players can earn, but that would just enable Union and Superleague to have more potential to lure them with big paychecks.
    mattnz
    mattnz
    Fanatic

Post by mattnz Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:45 am

my tv broke wrote:

Why would he move to the left, to accommodate Aubbuson? Seems unlikely to me?
    They said in the article he will be in Cordners jumper, would seem weird to change numbers for no reason.

"Crichton will have a rare foray wearing Boyd Cordner's No.11 this week with the Roosters skipper having a spell after copping a heavy knock last Thursday."
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:46 am

easytiger wrote:

Let me reiterate:

The market value is what the market is prepared to pay - which by all indications is about 1mil.
    It doesn't matter one iota what I or you think is his fair value.
    Maybe the NRL could have rules around what younger players can earn, but that would just enable Union and Superleague to have more potential to lure them with big paychecks.

The auditor does not determine market value solely on what a couple of desperate clubs are willing to throw at someone.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:46 am

Regulator wrote:

Money isn't the be all and end all of life, but it's pretty important. If you can secure yourself several million dollars, you know if you are smart you can take care of yourself and your family very well, for a very long time. And that is a very important part of life.

Allowing 20 year old kids to have that mentality is incredibly shortsighted and outdated. I know someone who was a very, very, very highly touted young Rugby player. Played all the international age group sides, and had one international cap at the top level as a young debutant, then had his career stopped in its tracks. Fortunately, he was smart enough to also be studying, going through uni while the world was telling him how amazing he was going to be at Rugby, so he was able to rebound well, many don't.

There's a reason that over the years there has been further and further emphasis in the states on educating a lot of these young athletes on the fact that things can go south very quickly.

Playing footy at Kirwan High School (thaiday, Brandon Smith, Aaron Payne, Rhyse Martin, Nene Macdonald, Lolo + others) I knew a lot of fellow players who were making QLD/NSW representative squads and Australian Rep Squads who were signed with clubs like the Cows and playing 20’s…. I also know a lot in this position whose careers were crippled by injuries, suicide, girlfriends, babies, drugs… I know us regular folk are all sitting here saying take the money take the money, but footy players don’t live everyday thinking they’ll break their leg tomorrow or get their contract ripped up, plus Gus makes a great point saying he will make more than enough money over the course of his career to live a long happy life.

I guess I don’t really know what I am trying to say but the money shouldn’t be why he leaves. He shouldn’t go to a club because they are offering him 400K more than another or 200-300K over market price. Money isn’t everything. If his heart is at Brisbane than his hear is at Brisbane. He will either be known as a money chaser or someone willing to stay at his club and push through the hard times.
    whall15
    whall15

Post by whall15 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:47 am

Just realised I had the exact amount of money to go Best to RTS, JTB to Tevaga.

Gives me a pretty balanced team I reckon (provided Tevaga gets good mins)

Api
    Haas MoFo
    Lolo Tevaga Butcher
    Cleary Pearce
    Mitchell Lomax
    Papy Ponga RTS

Carrigan Aloiai Young Grant

Crichton HTF Niu Musgrove
    easytiger
    easytiger

Post by easytiger Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Broncos signed Haas to the richest deal for a teenager in NRL history. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/payne-haas-to-sign-record-breaking-3-5-million-deal-with-broncos-20180718-p4zs6y.html
    At the moment that is looking like a steal. Clubs determining what a player is worth is one of the aspect that separates the good clubs from the bad. If the Titans have bad management that thinks offering Fifita 1.25 mil deal is a good decision they should be allowed to make it.

Similarly it looked like the Knights were paying overs for Ponga when they offered him good money to leave the Cowboys.
    As it turns out it he was good value and helped them build a good roster.
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

Post by StormTrooper96 Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:52 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

Obviously it pays off every now and then, as in Haas’s case. I just think a lot of clubs are throwing massive amounts of money at these unproven players. Then again, I guess that is the risk you have to be willing to take to secure your future.

I just think contract prices are so far fetched today and clubs are signing million dollar players who probably aren’t million dollar players (I can probably think of 2-3 million dollar players) but then they don’t have the cap space to fill the rosters around them.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:39 am