NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2019 Part 63

Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

NRL Fantasy 2019 Part 63 - Page 14 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2019 Part 63

Post by Camo123 Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:10 pm

L-Jimmy wrote:

Awww....jeah

Econometricians in the hizzz-oussssse!

Dance

I'm actually doing an econometrics course & sport economics course next semester at uni

Might join you guys in a few years Very Happy
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Camo123 wrote:

I'm actually doing an econometrics course & sport economics course next semester at uni

Might join you guys in a few years Very Happy

Nice mate! What Uni?

If you find yourself going down the econometrics path, make sure you double up with Maths mate, I didnt and I regret it!

Regardless though, for quantitate research in general a basic understanding of econometrics will do you a world of good! GL!
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Hope things work out for you mate. I've got family who are deeply invested in the arts scene in NZ. They work harder than anyone I know!

On the good enough thing: I've seen some very successful people who IMO are not particularly great at what they do. I think its some of the other qualities in a person that can help make you succeed. I used to beat my self up all the time thinking I was not good enough. In the end I just put my head down and tried to be as good as I could be, and thats about all you can ask for. Actually this reminds me of the guy I previous brought up, Dr. Paul Wood (look him up if you haven't I suspect you might appreciate some of the shit he says). One of the things that he said is, the only legitimate comparison you should ever make about your self is to yourself. No point comparing to others around you etc as its not relevant, the only thing thats important is trying to become better than you were the day, month, year before....

On the networking thing: I used to hate it, in fact I still dont really like it, but I've realised without it I aint going far.... life reality in the area I work in!

This is exactly one of the things I live by.

The only person you have to impress is yourself.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Where are all the accountants at? I thought this place was full of them.
    Reklaw
    Reklaw

Post by Reklaw Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:By the way, the other piece of advice I would give is dont fall into the trap of trying to "find your passion". A person I truely respect, my brother actually, gave me the advice that I should "find my passion" in terms of a career, back when I was 18. I believe pursuing that advice was one contributing factor that sent me to towards some mild, yet difficult mental health issues by the time I was about 35. For ages I felt like I was failing because I hadn't found my passion and it sucked.

This guy says it way better than me:

“Find your passion” might be the worst advice ever.

It’s the type of personal development riddled with phrases like:

You must find your ultimate passion.
    Find something you love and you’ll never have to work another day in your life.

The problem with focusing on what you’re passionate about is… it doesn’t work. It doesn’t work because it comes with a poor underlying assumption. The assumption is that your level of love dictates how dedicated you’ll be to the journey. You think that once you find that ultimate passion, things will fall into place, and you’ll do the work necessary to succeed.

This is backward.

In reality, you don’t find passion until you get good at something. When you develop competence in something you enjoy, you build more confidence to help you tackle larger challenges, and you continue to grow, which fuels more passion to repeat the process.

Then, one day, you look up and you’re successful. Every person you see at the top of their game followed the simple recipe I’m about to explain.

You can follow it, too. Just know that you’ll need to work at it for a while. It will work if you’re patient. It won’t if you aren’t.

The guy goes on, but its basically the point that you have to work at things, a bit of trial and error with different jobs etc, and be patient. Then hopefully one day you'll find things have worked out.

I also can't agree with this enough. There is nothing I'm truly passionate about, chasing that dream to ease the monotony of work is a bit silly, even if I found something I loved it would eventually bore me after a few years. All work follows a repetitive pattern. Developing competency in whatever you are doing is a far more reasonable way to find your "passion". When you build that skill and knowledge and can offer that to others you can find a sense of pride in what you're doing. BUT I also can't stress enough how important a work/life balance is. It's important to realise a job is a job and if it affects your mental health there's a problem. There's not a lot that phases me anymore, unfortunately though you cant choose your work culture and I often see people get stressed or overworked trying to impress others. I make it pretty clear in my job what my priorities are and that work/life balance is important (something I encourage all of my team members to follow), hell I work from home once a week in my underwear just because its an available option.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Nice mate! What Uni?

If you find yourself going down the econometrics path, make sure you double up with Maths mate, I didnt and I regret it!

Regardless though, for quantitate research in general a basic understanding of econometrics will do you a world of good! GL!

Newcastle Uni
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Milchy wrote:

There is a saying - think of how stupid the average person is. And then realise that half the population are stupider than that.

If you can just be slightly above competent you can go quite far. I realise I am not a total superstar at my work, but I generally know what I'm doing.
    I work in IT, and just the ability to read a manual (and slightly more tricky, apply the information you find there) can be enough to make you look like a genius sometimes.

I know how to post a GIF...that makes me slightly above competent on here. Verbal on the other hand knows how to post GIFs and rank in the top 10
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Milchy wrote:

i guess it can help if you are 2.3m tall and are known for ripping people's arms off when you lose.

For someone who doesn't speak english I've done pretty well in the movie industry
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Reklaw wrote:

I also can't agree with this enough. There is nothing I'm truly passionate about, chasing that dream to ease the monotony of work is a bit silly, even if I found something I loved it would eventually bore me after a few years. All work follows a repetitive pattern. Developing competency in whatever you are doing is a far more reasonable way to find your "passion". When you build that skill and knowledge and can offer that to others you can find a sense of pride in what you're doing. BUT I also can't stress enough how important a work/life balance is. It's important to realise a job is a job and if it affects your mental health there's a problem. There's not a lot that phases me anymore, unfortunately though you cant choose your work culture and I often see people get stressed or overworked trying to impress others. I make it pretty clear in my job what my priorities are and that work/life balance is important (something I encourage all of my team members to follow), hell I work from home once a week in my underwear just because its an available option.

I've started referring to this as life/work balance. Life comes first. The language we use can be pretty important to how we perceive things/our attitudes.

Learnt this from a mate a couple of years ago. One of my favourite things was dropping "just" from my vocabulary.

"I'm just going for a 3km run" or "I'm going for a run but it's just 3km".
    A 3km run is still doing something, it's still an achievement. Using "just" takes value away from what you're doing and that can effect your attitude and if you are "just" doing this and "just" doing that then you are telling yourself you're not achieving enough which in turn can be very demotivating and means you accomplish even less.

I've found the more you value you place on something small, the more you stretch and achieve because you're having a much more positive outlook. Not sure if all that makes sense or will click for anyone else but I just though it was worth sharing given the kinda chat we've got going on in here at the moment.

Last edited by filthridden on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 pm

filthridden wrote:Where are all the accountants at? I thought this place was full of them.
    I deal with a bit of accounting, but my focus is on the logistics space. With my smuggling trade background this is the perfect fit for me.
    Fortitude
    Fortitude

Post by Fortitude Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 pm

churg wrote:Does anyone else work in the meat-works?

Not sure if this is a serious question, but I used to work at an abattoir 10yrs ago.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

Now work in a big data, econometrics, mental health, health economics kinda space.

Is that a fancy way of saying cashier at the Chemist ?
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 pm

filthridden wrote:Where are all the accountants at? I thought this place was full of them.

Too busy closing FY19 books and opening FY20
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:16 pm

And in fantasy news .......................................

Melbourne Storm prop Patrick Kaufusi is set to sign with the St George Illawarra Dragons, effective immediately.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:16 pm

churg wrote:Does anyone else work in the meat-works?

Chasing tail and the like ?
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:27 pm

No Worries wrote:And in fantasy news .......................................

Melbourne Storm prop Patrick Kaufusi is set to sign with the St George Illawarra Dragons, effective immediately.

Could be a good rd 16 cash out.
    Chewie
    Chewie
    Fanatic

Post by Chewie Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 pm

No Worries wrote:

Too busy closing FY19 books and opening FY20

haha yeah EOFY
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 pm

I look at our financial team as I type and I reckon I can pick out a few depraved individuals who would be into this game

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:35 pm

No Worries wrote:And in fantasy news .......................................

Base price cashout perhaps
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Liverpool_Bulldog
    Fanatic

Post by Liverpool_Bulldog Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:40 pm

WT2K wrote:

Base price cashout perhaps

No Graham, Vaughan, Friz.

Surely some minutes to go around

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:48 am