NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

What better time to change the rules

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

What better time to change the rules  Empty What better time to change the rules

Post by No Worries Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:44 pm

ARL Commission endorses changes to sin bin & Rep Injury Rules

Referees will be given discretion to sin bin players for serious instances of foul play – even if the victim is able to continue playing – under a change to the NRL Laws and Interpretations.

Chairman Peter Beattie said the ARL Commission has endorsed a recommendation from the Competition Committee to strengthen the sin bin rule to protect players from foul play.

"No one wants to see players taken out of the game through acts of foul play," Mr Beattie said.

"Sometimes those acts do not warrant a send off – but they do deserve 10 minutes in the sin bin.

"Until now, the rules did not allow referees to use the sin bin for foul play unless the victim of foul play was forced to leave the field and was unlikely to take any further part of the game. (Seriously who thought that was a good idea, and how didn't I know and complain about this before)

"So we have seen players commit acts of foul play, put on report but miss no game time.

"We don't think that is an adequate deterrent so, from Round 15 onwards, referees will be able to use the sin bin for foul play whether the victim has to leave the field or not."

CEO Todd Greenberg said the sin bin could be used for high tackles, dangerous throws, shoulder charges and crusher tackles.

"The sin bin could also be used for cheap late shots on playmakers who play such a key role in our game," he said.

"I stress that the sin bin will only be used for serious incidents and there will be no impact on tough, fair and legal play."

The Commission also endorsed a proposal which will allow salary cap relief for Clubs in the event their players suffer long-term injuries during Representative fixtures.

New rules will allow that:

• if a player suffers a long-term injury while participating in a representative fixture, Clubs will be able to sign a replacement player as well as access a salary cap exemption for a portion of, or all of, the replacement player's value;

• The cap exemption will be on a dollar-for-dollar basis compared to the injured player, up to $350,000;

• The exemption allowable will be based on the number of rounds remaining in the regular season.

"Clubs place significant investments in their players so it stands to reason that we would attempt to compensate them as much as possible for instances where their players have suffered long-term injuries while they are on representative duties," NRL Chief Operating Officer Nick Weeks said.

"Ultimately, we want to support representative football, but provide adequate on-field compensation.

"There are some strong parameters around the relief but we certainly view this proposal as being fair to all parties."

The salary cap relief will now begin with this year's Holden State of Origin Series and other Representative fixtures.

Last edited by No Worries on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Krump
    Krump

What better time to change the rules  Empty Re: What better time to change the rules

Post by Krump Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm

They both sound like they should have been implemented years ago.
    No Worries
    No Worries

What better time to change the rules  Empty Re: What better time to change the rules

Post by No Worries Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Absolutly - no brainers. But changing rules mid season is amateur hour
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Sounds like they heard NZ was assembling a B or C team for the Denver test.....

Regardless of whether that is the case or not, it is 'no-brainer' IMO and I don't care if we are halfway through the season, better late than never.

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm

As for the sin bin rule, I'm not sure that is so urgent.

If anything, I think bringing back the 5 min bin, which will undoubtedly occur at some point in the future, is more urgent.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am

the rep player one is fine to bring in now

not sure if i love the other one, just not sure if the refs get interpretation correct when this stuff gets floated as this time of the year

probably a good example was us getting a penalty on the weekend when jacko was in the ruck, i hated the hooker passing the ball into players for penalties more then anyone and was happy when the nrl made an adjustment to it but the ref got it all wrong on the weekend, jackson was clearly hindering the play and sitting up like he did got in the way of the pass. The previous rule had hookers passing the ball to players lying on the deck to get penatlies, that was wrong but hookers shouldn't be forced to find away around defenders who are offside making no effort to atleast duck to the ground.

current refs seem to lack the common sense to deal with these rule changes and we'll end up seeing a sin bin for a shot that just is no where near warranting it
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm

New rule to be trialled outside the NRL, the 20:40. Exactly what is sounds like, the reverse of a 40:20

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/29/20-40-kick-nrl-coaches-to-consider-trial-for-rule-proposal/
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 pm

If they did a 20/40, why not just call it a 40 metre rule and allow a 30/30 too? Lol
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Realistically it's not going to be used much. How often do you have time and space inside your own 20?
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Honeysett wrote:Realistically it's not going to be used much. How often do you have time and space inside your own 20?

I feel a bit differently...

You're under pressure, made farrrk all ground, so why not have your big boot have a crack from 19 out? Even on the 4th? How many "clearance kicks" do you see?

It'd mean your defensive line is going to have to open up a bit if you have to start considering wingers back early!

No saying I like it either - it'd be a heart breaker to see 5 bone crushing tackles rewarded by a Ricky-style torp having your guys on the defensive......
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Oh yeah - I've been on a cruise. Forgot to mention that
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:19 pm

QLD Junior Rugby League to trial removing tackling from U/6 and play no score, no finals football up to U/12 to raise participation levels in the gender neutral left snowflake demographic.

I agree with the tackling at U/6 and spend  a year teaching them technique, although it's going to be hard for them to understand when they can and can't tackle. I've had an U/6 kid tackle and eat a witches hat during a game. As for "no lossers", who are they kidding ? My kid plays soccer and they have the no score no final policy and you think the kids don't know the score and who won ? All it means is the season finsihes a couple of weeks earlier for the teams who would have otherwise played finals. It's not scoring and losing that detracts the kids it's getting flogged each week because teams haven't been graded properly.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm

I think the younger they're learning to tackle the better. Leaving it too late just means the kids are bigger and able to do more damage with poor technique when they do start.
    The no scoring really is a joke, there'll be nothing character building left in a decade that way the world is going.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:10 am

No more dawdling by players sent to the sin bin in the 2019 Telstra Premiership season is one of the rule changes approved by the ARL Commission on Tuesday.

Head of Football - Elite Competitions Graham Annesley said the ARLC approved five main changes designed to have the ball in play for longer periods of time, as well as improve player safety.

Players taking their time to exit the field after a sin-binning is one area NRL fans found particularly frustrating and the ARLC has heard the complaints.

In 2019 players sent from the field for 10 minutes must now run from the field taking the most direct route to the dressing room.

"Failure to do so may lead to clubs being breached and fined under NRL Rules and/or offending players may be charged with Contrary Conduct under the NRL Judiciary Code," a NRL statement said.

There are two significant changes to that code: changing the strict criteria around shoulder charges and increasing the points penalty for dangerous contact to the head/neck of players.

The first appears to be prompted by the number of players cleared of a shoulder charge on a technicality – most often over whether his arms wrapped around the attacking player or not.

Billy Slater's controversial tackle on Cronulla winger Sosaia Feki in Storm's preliminary final win seems to fit into this category.

The former Test fullback could have been rubbed out from the grand final but the judiciary panel agreed he braced for the contact with his left shoulder before he was able to wrap his arm around Feki.

NRL in talks about expansion

Annesley did not give any examples but he said that allowing the judiciary to find a player guilty of an alternative "dangerous contact" charge, would help stem the number of players being cleared on a technicality.

"It's basically an option to the judiciary that if something doesn't meet all the criteria of a shoulder charge, that they can still consider it to be dangerous contact," Annesley told NRL.com.

"Yes, players will still continue to face shoulder charges, and yes, they will continue to be found guilty of shoulder charges. But if there's any doubt whether it meets all the criteria of that offence, it can still give them [judiciary panel] scope to consider it 'dangerous contact'."

The other player safety measure approved by the ARLC on Tuesday was raising a Grade 2 dangerous head/neck contact charge to 300 points and a Grade 3 to 500 points (Grade 1 charges will remain at 100 points).

Two time-saving rule changes are:

A reduction of the scrum clock – from 35 to 30 seconds
    A reduction of the drop-out clock – from 30 to 25 seconds
    Annesley said there would be no change to the number of interchanges (eight) for season 2019.

But he added officials will review the first half of next season, before a decision is made on any future reductions for 2020 or beyond.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:15 am

good to see billy slater got another rule changed, even in retirement

Last edited by Pieman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

But he wasn't a grub.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out in reality.

Will it mean the judiciary will be less likely to charge someone with a shoulder charge because it's easier to prove dangerous contact ?
    Will they carry the same weight ?
    Can you be charged with shoulder charge be found not guilty but guilty of the lesser charge of dangerous contact ? If so how does that effect points ?
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 am

Pieman wrote:good to sleep billy slater got another rule changed, even in retirement

He's retired?
    Cookie Monster
    Cookie Monster

Post by Cookie Monster Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm

No Worries wrote:No more dawdling by players sent to the sin bin in the 2019 Telstra Premiership season is one of the rule changes approved by the ARL Commission on Tuesday.

In 2019 players sent from the field for 10 minutes must now run from the field taking the most direct route to the dressing room.

"Failure to do so may lead to clubs being breached and fined under NRL Rules and/or offending players may be charged with Contrary Conduct under the NRL Judiciary Code," a NRL statement said.

Just channelling my inner cynic here, but I imagine that this instruction will be given by coaches to their players for next season : If you have just committed a professional foul or have been penalised after a sin bin warning from the ref, pretend you have an injury. We'll get the medi-cab out there to get you off the field quick smart
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 pm

No Worries wrote:But he wasn't a grub.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out in reality.

Will it mean the judiciary will be less likely to charge someone with a shoulder charge because it's easier to prove dangerous contact ?
    Will they carry the same weight ?
    Can you be charged with shoulder charge be found not guilty but guilty of the lesser charge of dangerous contact ? If so how does that effect points ?

1. Hopefully yes.
    2. Hopefully (and surely) no.
    3. Likely to be yes but hopefully the MRC applies common sense and a general Rugby League understanding to their assessments (doubtful).
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 am

Once again the knowledgeable discussions on NRL Fantasy Forum have been taken to another level. For memory this was @Pieman.

An influential rule change as the NRL looks to cut down stoppages; referees have been told not to stop play for injury unless a Dr is required or there is a risk of interfering with the play. Play should not be stopped for medical assistance/treatment provided by a trainer. Trainers can even be “sent off” or fined if they attempt to stop the match for a player down with only “minor injuries”

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 am