NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Dip

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 25 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Dip Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:11 am

Pieman wrote:

this bit made me chuckle

Tell me where I'm wrong. I disagreed with picking Niko ahead of Hunt, but it's factually correct. There is no doubt this year Hunt has been one of the form players in the comp and Bird has only had one good game, but you don't judge recruitment after a few weeks. I remember Phil Gould doing this big narrative on Milford not being a 5/8 a month into 2015. From then he was probably the form 5/8 in the comp for the rest of the season.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am

Dip wrote:

Tell me where I'm wrong. I disagreed with picking Niko ahead of Hunt, but it's factually correct. There is no doubt this year Hunt has been one of the form players in the comp and Bird has only had one good game, but you don't judge recruitment after a few weeks. I remember Phil Gould doing this big narrative on Milford not being a 5/8 a month into 2015. From then he was probably the form 5/8 in the comp for the rest of the season.

To parraphrase. You want Gould to do a narrative on Niko & Bird.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:51 am

surmo13 wrote:It has never stopped being weird to me that the posters most interested in trolling this thread mostly come from the Knights, Tigers & Eels, then again maybe that isn't so weird, i imagine if my team spent the majority of recent history locked in battles for wooden spoons, i'd want to find something to take my mind off it too...
    Whinges about trolling in a troll post?
    I don't think who they support is relevant, they just happen to be more interested in footy than fantasy on a fantasy based forum. This thread seems to morph into all sorts of non bronco based discussion because it's the busiest, kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 am

Dip wrote:

hunt played origin last year
    and for australia

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am

Krump wrote:
    Whinges about trolling in a troll post?
    I don't think who they support is relevant, they just happen to be more interested in footy than fantasy on a fantasy based forum. This thread seems to morph into all sorts of non bronco based discussion because it's the busiest, kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Laughing no whinging here, they can do what they want, and i could never stop them if i wanted to, a Bronco fan with thin skin would never survive a rugby league forum, it's just really odd to me is all, i would think the type of fans to carry on in here would be those that have had some sort of success rubbing it in, but instead it's fans of clubs that have had a far worse run than us, its feels kinda like those scenes in tv/movies where there's a midget trying to punch on with a regular-sized person, but they've got their arm pushing away on the midgets head, so it's just a bunch of air-swings
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Re the Slater try, I'm not sure what everyone is arguing here, but I honestly don't get the fuss. The rules are clear as day.

He deliberately "released" the ball with the intention to kick it. He didn't fumble or spill it. That it touched the ground first is totally irrelevant, even if his intent was to kick it on the full, hence his uncertainty, he kicked it, ergo a try every day of the week.

Move along people, nothing more to see here...
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am

surmo13 wrote:

Laughing no whinging here, they can do what they want, and i could never stop them if i wanted to, a Bronco fan with thin skin would never survive a rugby league forum, it's just really odd to me is all, i would think the type of fans to carry on in here would be those that have had some sort of success rubbing it in, but instead it's fans of clubs that have had a far worse run than us, its feels kinda like those scenes in tv/movies where there's a midget trying to punch on with a regular-sized person, but they've got their arm pushing away on the midgets head, so it's just a bunch of air-swings

if thats how it feels, why so precious?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:12 am

surmo13 wrote:

Well we're all very similar none of this teams has won a premiership in longer than a decade.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Well we're all very similar none of this teams has won a premiership in longer than a decade.

well i suppose you have a point on a technicality, but then i realise i celebrated my team having a win 34 more times than you over the last 3 years and that gulf widens again Very Happy
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 am

Ice wrote:Re the Slater try, I'm not sure what everyone is arguing here, but I honestly don't get the fuss. The rules are clear as day.

He deliberately "released" the ball with the intention to kick it. He didn't fumble or spill it. That it touched the ground first is totally irrelevant, even if his intent was to kick it on the full, hence his uncertainty, he kicked it, ergo a try every day of the week.

Move along people, nothing more to see here...

Old news now I know but it was more me than anyone else arguing it I think.

As I said at the time, I had more issues with the other aspects of the refereeing than a simple mistake (which I may point out and discuss but I do actually prefer as opposed to over-analysing every call with the video ref.......sorry separate issue there).

I may be off the mark with the rule (that probably won't come up to often, if ever) but for the sake of re-starting a debate out of curiosity, I'd really like to understand what I am missing here??

So the rule states that you have to intentionally be going for a kick - all good, pretty clear Slater satisfies that part of the equation.

The rule also states it needs to be immediately though.
    To me this protects against a bloke that drops the ball with the intent to kick it but is then say tackled and doesn't get his boot to the ball.
    The bloke can't then get up after the ball has bounced five or six times and boot it without it being a clear knock on.

Slater's wasn't the same extent as that but IMO it was pretty clear he didn't kick it immediately and that is why it didn't look or feel right.

The rule doesn't say that it has to be before the second bounce or he would have been fine.
    To me the definition of a drop kick is to kick it immediately as in simultaneously hitting the ground and the intent of the rule is written around that.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am

would anyone dispute it if it was ruled a knock on?
    I dont think so.

He kicked it pretty much immediately IMO. Immediately might actually mean any time before the second bounce in this situation.

Turns out it was the right call, IMO i think it happens a little bit but goes unnoticed on grubbers anyway
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

Pieman wrote:would anyone dispute it if it was ruled a knock on?
    I dont think so.

He kicked it pretty much immediately IMO. Immediately might actually mean any time before the second bounce in this situation.

Turns out it was the right call, IMO i think it happens a little bit but goes unnoticed on grubbers anyway

Yeah, nah I think it was pretty clearly a dud call given the rule was probably written to allow drop kicks without them being judged knock on's.
    Unfortunately everyone incorrectly focused on the intention side of it (probably thanks to the commentators) rather than the fact he wasn't able to get his boot to the ball (admittedly it wasn't as obvious as if he was tackled mid kick etc.).

Moving on, it's been hard to get a read on how we are travelling but it will be a big test tonight.

I think we were unlucky against the Storm and their effort last night verifies that form line but the Bunnies have been really good this year IMO on the back of their forwards dominating.
    A win and I'll be confident about the year ahead.
    A loss and I will still be unsure about where we are at given the inconsistency.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Yeah, nah I think it was pretty clearly a dud call given the rule was probably written to allow drop kicks without them being judged knock on's.
    Unfortunately everyone incorrectly focused on the intention side of it (probably thanks to the commentators) rather than the fact he wasn't able to get his boot to the ball (admittedly it wasn't as obvious as if he was tackled mid kick etc.).

Moving on, it's been hard to get a read on how we are travelling but it will be a big test tonight.

I think we were unlucky against the Storm and their effort last night verifies that form line but the Bunnies have been really good this year IMO on the back of their forwards dominating.
    A win and I'll be confident about the year ahead.
    A loss and I will still be unsure about where we are at given the inconsistency.
    I think the drop kick call was right, even though it didn't feel right. I agree the intent was all anyone focused on, but even your focus on immediate still gets it across the line. What is immediate ? The slow mo makes it look bad, but in real time it's that "feel" like you mentioned. There is a split second in it. May be 1/2 a second between the ball hitting the ground then the foot. That has to be considered immediate. It's just that with a drop kick attempt at field goal, you want that contact to be simultaneous for better accuracy and control. That's why it feels off because we are use to a drop kick being simultaneous not immediate.

As for tonight you better win, the odds were to juicy to pass up and there in my multi
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:34 am

No Worries wrote:
    I think the drop kick call was right, even though it didn't feel right. I agree the intent was all anyone focused on, but even your focus on immediate still gets it across the line. What is immediate ? The slow mo makes it look bad, but in real time it's that "feel" like you mentioned. There is a split second in it. May be 1/2 a second between the ball hitting the ground then the foot. That has to be considered immediate. It's just that with a drop kick attempt at field goal, you want that contact to be simultaneous for better accuracy and control. That's why it feels off because we are use to a drop kick being simultaneous not immediate.

As for tonight you better win, the odds were to juicy to pass up and there in my multi

I never include the Broncos in my multi's as I've cost myself a few times due to being arguably a fraction biased.....you've probably never noticed.

Anyway, $2.50 does appear to be overs but favourites are favourites for a reason and regardless of odds we probably do deserve to be underdogs tonight.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 pm

The drop kick call reminded me of that Hayne juggle that went over someones head a few years ago, technically legal but certainly didn't look it.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I never include the Broncos in my multi's as I've cost myself a few times due to being arguably a fraction biased.....you've probably never noticed.

Anyway, $2.50 does appear to be overs but favourites are favourites for a reason and regardless of odds we probably do deserve to be underdogs tonight.
    Shocked

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 pm

well we're undefeated when i get to watch the game live this season so there's that, still clunky but i don't think we're far off finding some real form, the shape of our play is promising and our effort certaintly isn't lacking, just need to find a bit of confidence to get the execution right, halves seem to be very indecisive on their options in those backline plays and it makes it hard for the blokes on the outside when they don't know if they are getting the ball until the last possible second.

definately need to start looking at building around our yound blokes, guys like Su'A, Pangai and now Haas have been showing up our veterans all year (though credit where credits due, Sims was fantastic and for the first time all season, Boyd finally played like he wasn't afraid his legs were going to fall apart and he showing some real glimpses of the guy he was back in 15-16 that was consistently one of the best on field at all levels of the game)

will take a win like that everyday of the week though, especially when the refs mistook ANZAC round for retro round and thought they were back in 2014 riding the Bunnies to the premiership, some of the nitpicking on us and whistle-pocketing on the Bunnies was next-level favoritism... we have a really good chance to get ourselves going now with the Bulldogs and Manly ahead of us to build us up for the Roosters, but then The Titans and Knights were supposed to do that for us as well and that didn't go to plan....
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:18 am

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 am

was a great effort, the certainly put in. One thing about bennett's sides, they never throw in the towel.

that was a good post until you started talking about bias towards souths. It was a well reffed game I thought. Both sides scored off nasty forward passes too.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 am

No Worries wrote:The 3 stooges
    @surmo13 @Oz Sport Mad @Dip

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 25 Giphy
    Bit harsh on Dip.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm