NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Pieman
    Pieman

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 35 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 pm

He clearly meant to do it, but is it a big deal? No way
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 35 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 pm

dasherhalo wrote:

I love him. Bennett basically came out last year and said that was the role he had been given. He obviously walks a fine line, and gets penalized a fair bit. Now, if he wasn't being asked to do that, can anyone honestly say Bennett is that blind that he wouldn't notice it, and hook him back to reserve grade???

I was lucky enough to get about half an hour of Bennett's time in the lead up to the 2015 finals and the player he praised the most in a side that was a bee's dick away from winning a premiership that year, was Adam Blair.

I suspect he provides as much to the team off the field, as he does on the field and often that sort of stuff is under-rated when we are sitting back and analysing the team based on the 80mins we see on TV each week.

As a fan, I am happy with our entire forward pack.
    If any area needs attention going forward it is our halves but who knows what will happen - maybe we'll get Ash Taylor to head back up the M1.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm

surmo13 wrote:

whether or not he's telling the truth in this case, it's been pretty widely reported for a long time that he's got a cataract in his left eye stemming from a detached retina injury he suffered in 2011

You would think if he was that blind his lefthand side defense would be exploited more than it is. May be I'm not the only one who didn't know

scratch
    Rolling Eyes
    No
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Dip wrote:Even McGuire's mum would believe it's intentional. And she'd be right.

Like I said, he might be a grub, but he's our grub.

Josh Reynolds is so dedicated he plays with instinct and sometimes that dedication manifests itself into actions that aren't thought through. Not a grub.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Reports that everyone's fav bronco has been given permission to talk to other clubs 

https://www.zerotackle.com/brisbane-grant-adam-blair-permission-talk-rivals-28559/

Interesting
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 pm

This is kinda old news and was mentioned a couple of months ago by a few media outlets which is why I found it surprising that Dip and Dasher were talking about Bennetts love for the bloke. May have been the case a few years ago but not so much anymore.

I seem to be one of the few supporters on here that won't be sad to see him go DEPENDING on what the plan to cover him is. Not sure any of Ofa, TPJ etc are ready for a fulltime starting role but then I ain't the head coach. Personally I'd like to pick up someone like Wallace (should never have let the bloke go) or Ryan James. Someone that quietly goes about his business and gets the job done.

Other than that, I also am relatively happy with our squad. Definitely could use another half but we have a few young kids coming through that are pretty highly rated so not sure we'll sign anyone on a long term deal with that in mind. Would like some depth at HKR as well (and not of the Waddell variety) but then if we pick up too many more blokes people will be crying foul about the Broncs salary cap...

Oh... Wait...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

No Worries wrote:

You would think if he was that blind his lefthand side defense would be exploited more than it is. May be I'm not the only one who didn't know

scratch
    Rolling Eyes
    No

Well, as i said, it's not something that he's kept a closely guarded secret about over the years:

2012 - http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-mcguires-vision-to-be-in-the-brisbane-broncos-power-elite/news-story/613556f3c998c916eee3815d63eb8b1b
    2013 - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/eye-injury-taking-toll-on-broncos-enforcer-josh-mcguire/news-story/7e3d284d94d10abf5092f74fa09bb6a9
    2014 - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbanes-josh-mcguire-has-revealed-he-is-playing-blind-in-his-left-eye/news-story/001125839e972eb8a9e0ede68ff73776
    2015 - http://www.fogs.com.au/2015/01/16/eye-injury-wont-stop-joshs-maroon-vision/
    2017 - http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/18956967/mcguire-want-thaiday-change

Post by Guest Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Mearcats wrote:This is kinda old news and was mentioned a couple of months ago by a few media outlets which is why I found it surprising that Dip and Dasher were talking about Bennetts love for the bloke. May have been the case a few years ago but not so much anymore.

I seem to be one of the few supporters on here that won't be sad to see him go DEPENDING on what the plan to cover him is. Not sure any of Ofa, TPJ etc are ready for a fulltime starting role but then I ain't the head coach. Personally I'd like to pick up someone like Wallace (should never have let the bloke go) or Ryan James. Someone that quietly goes about his business and gets the job done.

Other than that, I also am relatively happy with our squad. Definitely could use another half but we have a few young kids coming through that are pretty highly rated so not sure we'll sign anyone on a long term deal with that in mind. Would like some depth at HKR as well (and not of the Waddell variety) but then if we pick up too many more blokes people will be crying foul about the Broncs salary cap...

Oh... Wait...

i've seen suggestions from reporters that if Blair was to leave, McGuire back to prop and Bird at lock would be plan A
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

What about Matt Lodge coming in? Is he allowed to play next year or something
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:12 am

surmo13 wrote:

Well, as i said, it's not something that he's kept a closely guarded secret about over the years:

2012 - http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-mcguires-vision-to-be-in-the-brisbane-broncos-power-elite/news-story/613556f3c998c916eee3815d63eb8b1b
    2013 - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/eye-injury-taking-toll-on-broncos-enforcer-josh-mcguire/news-story/7e3d284d94d10abf5092f74fa09bb6a9
    2014 - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbanes-josh-mcguire-has-revealed-he-is-playing-blind-in-his-left-eye/news-story/001125839e972eb8a9e0ede68ff73776
    2015 - http://www.fogs.com.au/2015/01/16/eye-injury-wont-stop-joshs-maroon-vision/
    2017 - http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/18956967/mcguire-want-thaiday-change

As I said
    You would think if he was that blind his lefthand side defense would be exploited more than it is.

If it smells like a shitty grub
    looks like a shitty grub
    good chance it's a shitty grub

Post by Guest Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:31 am

No Worries wrote:

As I said
    You would think if he was that blind his lefthand side defense would be exploited more than it is.

If it smells like a shitty grub
    looks like a shitty grub
    good chance it's a shitty grub

so you're suggesting he's been lying about it for 6 years so he had an excuse for stepping on some-ones foot once?
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm

surmo13 wrote:

so you're suggesting he's been lying about it for 6 years so he had an excuse for stepping on some-ones foot once?

No I'm suggesting he is lying about it being an accident that he stepped on someones foot and using his disability as an excuse. I don't even came about the stomp. It's gamesmanship, it's niggle. It's the sort of thing than Mick Ennis reputation was built on. But what happens on the field stays on the field. When you're a cunt of a human being off the field then you're a grub and McSquinty is a fuckin grub no a fuckin lying grub.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 pm

No Worries wrote:
    surmo13 wrote:

No I'm suggesting he is lying about it being an accident that he stepped on someones foot and using his disability as an excuse. I don't even came about the stomp. It's gamesmanship, it's niggle. It's the sort of thing than Mick Ennis reputation was built on. But what happens on the field stays on the field. When you're a cunt of a human being off the field then you're a grub and McSquinty is a fuckin grub no a fuckin lying grub.
    I watched his League Life interview the other night and it was hard to tell if he intended to do it or not with what he was saying.  However, if I had to lean one way or the other i would say his responses didn't seem 100% genuine.  Couple that with the fact that when you watch the footage, he doesn't appear to try to pull his foot away or even acknowledge that he has done it makes me think it was intentional.

If it was a genuine accident you would think he would have had a reflex to try to pull his foot away or lessen the force, but he just continues on his way without flinching.  In saying that, it could also mean he didn't actually mean to do it, but didn't give a fuck that he did.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:08 pm

yeah it could be any of those things SI

Personally, I think he saw it there and was like "well im stepping there anyway, I dont care" didnt go out of his way to do it, but didnt go out of his way to not do it. He didnt exactly stomp on it, but it still would have hurt a bit.

If it was an accident, there is 100% a reflex to pull his foot away after he steps, and he didnt. I dont see why we are even talking about it still, he is a dirty cunt, we know that.

Its not a big deal. Hand/foot stepping is just niggle and part of the game.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Yep, most people would 100% reflex pull away.  Probably didn';t intend to do it, but didn't give a fuck that he had.  Anyway, moving on like you say.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Looking great with Hunt in the 9. Was the logical choice with his run. He does everything bar tackle better than A Mac for mine. This could be the injury Brisbane needed to ignite there premiership run. $8.50 about them at the moment looks great value.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 pm

The titans were dreadful, but it was really good to see Hunt have a great game. McCullough's defence is pretty great, but having someone with a bit of attack at hooker really showed what he lacks with ball in hand. Its prob why bennett has opted for a hooker on the bench over the last few seasons. Hunt at 9 is the logical move going forward, looking forward to seeing him play there a little more.

Last edited by Pieman on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, that spear tackle was fucking terrible. That is the exact kind of tackle that should have been stamped out of the game years ago. How is it not a send off?

I dont understand. What are they waiting for, what has to happen before someone gets sent off.

He should be facing a 12 week suspension.

Dip

Post by Dip Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 am

Joe O's tackle wasn't great and deserves some time on the bench but it wasn't as bad as some people make out. It was nothing like as bad as say O'Donnell on Boyd in Origin a few years ago. In my opinion it was a little worse, but not much worse than Wade Graham's an hour later and even with loading he won't miss a week. I thought Joe O deserved a grade 2.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 am

Pieman wrote:What about Matt Lodge coming in? Is he allowed to play next year or something

If Matt Lodge plays a single game in Broncos colours I'll go for a different team for the season. Fuck him. Club doesn't need him, game doesn't need him. I would hope Brisbane have better standards then Roosters or Newcastle supporters.

Dip wrote:Joe O's tackle wasn't great and deserves some time on the bench but it wasn't as bad as some people make out. It was nothing like as bad as say O'Donnell on Boyd in Origin a few years ago. In my opinion it was a little worse, but not much worse than Wade Graham's an hour later and even with loading he won't miss a week. I thought Joe O deserved a grade 2.

Graham's wasn't that bad - he let go of old mate midway through the tackle, happy enough to see it as a grade 1. Ofa getting only 3 weeks is almost robbery for that, there was everything wrong in that tackle. Even after attacker was rotated around he kept going with the tackle and drove him down.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:59 am