NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Milchcow
    Milchcow

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Milchcow Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am

I am not convinced at Ponga in the halves (for fantasy scoring)
    Maybe he'll get enough more involvement to raise his floor, which is about the lowest floor of anyone who could be considered a gun. But I'd rather punt on Trbo than Ponga at this point in time.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2  - What's the magic number ? - Page 26 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2023 Part 2 - What's the magic number ?

Post by Aardvark Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:50 am

Milchcow wrote:
    With the Manly bye in round 2, I think I am happy starting without Trbo, and bringing him in round 3 if he looks the goods.

Even if he guns it and scores a century, you have 2 weeks to plan the trade, and he won't rise that much in value after just 1 week.
    Worth it to have a look at him and see what his fitness is like. Unless he can do something in the trials to remove any doubt.

Reminds me to check the bye schedule before making bold pronouncements geek but yeah, sound advice....I'm also slightly sceptical that he will be ready by rd 1 and if there is any doubt and they have an impending bye then why risk him?
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:55 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:

If they are named round 1 both will be in my squad. Comfortably the best options at their price point makes it hard to ignore
    Except both are so injury prone! Ponga’s very big one is head injuries, as well as reinjuring his hammie currently -he’s had so many head injuries in the last two years. Tommy’s hammies could give way at anytime and has the bye in Rd 2. Other than that why not? Neither will be in my side to start.

Last edited by The Pascoe Fiasco on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:58 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:All this talk of gun centres feels like I'm being trolled. I'd much rather spend 500k on a MID
    500k is just under what both my centres cost added together! The rest of my team looks good, Centre’s unfortunately look awful! It’s the best place to skimp though.
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:01 pm

Holy Moly wrote:

Normally I don't, but Holmes, although pricey, has a great draw without the early byes and is a good scorer.
    Perhaps, but you have to ask if that extra 300k could be better spent elsewhere, anywhere else probably!
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm

The Dolphin Conspiracies wrote:

I will always think about doing what people say they will never do. I translate that last quote as "Go on! I dare you!"

For me Manu (C), Milford (VC) :pinocchio:
    Go on, I dare you to Captain Milford!
    The Pascoe Fiasco
    The Pascoe Fiasco

Post by The Pascoe Fiasco Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:07 pm

robelgordo wrote:

Haven't made a team yet, or even looked that closely at prices, but all I can think is there's so many cheap WFB that look likely to play R1 that people are spending cash elsewhere.

Because Turbo even with the tax looks a steal (similar to Pappy last year). And Ponga I think looks good too.

Injury risk is a bit overstated I think as Turbo will have his USA bionic hammies by then, and Ponga has had a number of HIAs but also a full offseason of rest. Keary and Matterson seem to be coping with their concussion history fine. Cordner and Hipgrave retired. You can't pick it and I don't think you can avoid every player on those grounds
    Ponga is currently injured -Hamstring strain. May or may not make Rd 1.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:11 pm

Milchcow wrote:
    With the Manly bye in round 2, I think I am happy starting without Trbo, and bringing him in round 3 if he looks the goods.

Even if he guns it and scores a century, you have 2 weeks to plan the trade, and he won't rise that much in value after just 1 week.
    Worth it to have a look at him and see what his fitness is like. Unless he can do something in the trials to remove any doubt.

Ha I made a pretty chart of byes and forgot to look at it re: Manly R2 bye

I also agree with your other post - I like Turbo more than Ponga, as there's more guesswork around Ponga and his role/scoring. Worst case scenario I think is Turbo is priced correctly/doesn't lose money. Or is injured early in the season when it's still an easy flip to another fast rising player.

Last edited by robelgordo on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:11 pm

The Rabbitohs have suffered a pre-season blow with Siliva Havili ruled out for four months after suffering a serious foot injury caused by a pothole at Erskineville Oval.
    The versatile forward, who was a mainstay of Souths coach Jason Demetriou’s side throughout 2022, has undergone tendon surgery in his foot.

The unfortunate incident occured in January when the Rabbitohs were training at Erskineville Oval.
    Camo123
    Camo123
    Fanatic

Post by Camo123 Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:15 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:The Rabbitohs have suffered a pre-season blow with Siliva Havili ruled out for four months after suffering a serious foot injury caused by a pothole at Erskineville Oval.
    The versatile forward, who was a mainstay of Souths coach Jason Demetriou’s side throughout 2022, has undergone tendon surgery in his foot.

The unfortunate incident occured in January when the Rabbitohs were training at Erskineville Oval.

Pothole must have?

That is certainly high up the leaderboard as most unlikely situation for a NRL player to get injured alongside Jarrod Croker dislocating his shoulder reaching for the TV remote

Last edited by Camo123 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Rabbits21 wrote:The Rabbitohs have suffered a pre-season blow with Siliva Havili ruled out for four months after suffering a serious foot injury caused by a pothole at Erskineville Oval.

I used to live around the corner from Erko Oval* back when Souffs trained there while Redfern was getting renovated, but I can't believe they still use it. Pretty substandard for professional athletes as a training ground.

*Scored my share of touch footy tries in games with mates there, either pre or post a few beers at one of the adjacent pubs. I would describe my try scoring record at Erko Oval as "Nathan Merritt-esque".
    Holzman
    Holzman

Post by Holzman Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:20 pm

geez that's unlucky for him.

Does it make any of the Rabbitohs forwards a better buy?

Aardvark Ratnick
    Aardvark Ratnick

Post by Aardvark Ratnick Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 pm

Milchcow wrote:

I will have Cleary or Hynes as captain

I'm thinking of Cook as VC, but Murray seems solid too. Guys like Haas, Cotter, Grant might do OK, but I think that they offer just a touch less security around points than the others.

I had the ( V ) ON Robson, upon reading this swapped Robson > Cook, Carrigan > Elliott and am surprised how more comfortable I feel about it, really not happy with my squad this year but early doors.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 pm

Camo123 wrote:

Pothole must have?

That is certainly high up the leaderboard as most unlikely situation for a NRL player to get injured alongside Jarrod Croker dislocating his shoulder reaching for the TV remote

The TV remote one is an all-timer

John Simon once nearly lost a toe when it was cut on a tile in the post-game showers.

Glen Maxwell in cricket was pretty spectacular this summer for bizarre injuries.
    Holy Moly
    Holy Moly

Post by Holy Moly Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:22 pm

The Pascoe Fiasco wrote:
    Perhaps, but you have to ask if that extra 300k could be better spent elsewhere, anywhere else probably!

I have been through multiple team designs. I've tried having all the back 5 as cheap starters, as 500k players, as a combo of those, a fully stacked 13 with cheap bench & EMG, Hynes and Cleary, no Hynes and Cleary, etc.......

I like having the time to play around with combos while I can. I really want to have a decent bank of cash whichever way I go because it's such a tricky year with byes and it's hard to fix bad choices without bank.

I suppose I could get lucky and pick the best possible 21 first go, but experience tells me it's highly unlikely.
    Lchy
    Lchy

Post by Lchy Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm

Holzman wrote:

geez that's unlucky for him.

Does it make any of the Rabbitohs forwards a better buy?

Gut feel says Arrow plays a bit more through the middle (with Host on the bench) or they pick Milne in the 4th interchange spot to play in the forward rotation and provide injury cover for the backline. Otherwise one of DSF/Moale/Mitchell/Knight get promoted to the bench but wouldn't expect any of them to get a significant role
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm

Are any injuries as good as the footballer who injured himself playing X-Box

https://www.sportbible.com/football/crewe-alexandra-xbox-injury-20221004
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:26 pm

robelgordo wrote:

John Simon once nearly lost a toe when it was cut on a tile in the post-game showers.

Glen Maxwell in cricket was pretty spectacular this summer for bizarre injuries.

Found a good list online: https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/05/04/capewell-joins-nrl-list-of-all-time-bizarre-off-field-injuries-after-injuring-neck-drying-himself-with-a-towel/

Greg Eastwood one is super-relateable for any parents.
    Aardvark
    Aardvark

Post by Aardvark Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 pm

robelgordo wrote:

My favourite injuries are both by Spanish Footballers

Santiago Canizares, who played goalkeeper for Real Madrid and Spain, was ruled out of the 2002 world cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave and severing a tendon in his toe on the shards

Ever Banega (Valencia and Argentina) ruled himself out for six months after forgetting to put his handbrake on at a servo. His car rolled over his leg when he tried to stop it getting away, sustaining a compound fracture of his tibia
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:48 pm

The thing on Turbo is besides 2021 where he avg over 80 is hasn’t really avg above 50 any other season. He’s already priced at 44 if you buy him you would want him to avg 52-53. I’m not sure he can do that.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:01 am