NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

TV thread 2

easytiger
    easytiger

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2022

TV thread 2 - Page 7 Empty Re: TV thread 2

Post by easytiger Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:32 am

Enchanted Glossy Flamingo wrote:

Altered Carbon (S1) is more Joel Kinnaman + Scifi too when you're done!

Series one was so good, definitely one of the most enjoyable things of watched the last few years
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:30 pm

Up to date with all 3 Seasons of For All Mankind now.  Definitely more character development than 90% of shows, regardless of genre.

Feels like it needs a big shift for Season 4 though to keep it fresh.  S3 ending kind of foreshadows that, but, without making spoilers, not in the way I thought it would go.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:48 pm

Started Painkiller on Netflix yesterday after the Footy, and found myself finishing all 6 eps by beddy-byes last night  Very Happy  Even a couple of overtly biased and manipulative scenes weren't enough to ruin it.  

Not a Taylor Kitsch fan boy, but the role was perfect for him.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:37 pm

Binge watched the first three series of Le Bureau over the last month. Sensationally good: along with Spiral, it might be that two of the best five series ever (The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men) are French.

Decent summary here: https://www.gq.com/story/the-bureau-sundance-now-must-watch. Watched through "other means" but think it's on SBS in Australia.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:37 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:Binge watched the first three series of Le Bureau over the last month. Sensationally good: along with Spiral, it might be that two of the best five series ever (The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men) are French.

Decent summary here: https://www.gq.com/story/the-bureau-sundance-now-must-watch. Watched through "other means" but think it's on SBS in Australia.

Think I'll have to check both of them out after that recommendation.  The Sopranos and The Wire are in my Top 3 of all time (along with Boardwalk Empire).  Never started Mad Men.

Chris Bauer steals the show early on in For All Mankind if you haven't started it yet Rhino. Re-elect Frank Sobotka!
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:41 am

standard-issue wrote:

Think I'll have to check both of them out after that recommendation.  The Sopranos and The Wire are in my Top 3 of all time (along with Boardwalk Empire).  Never started Mad Men.

Chris Bauer steals the show early on in For All Mankind if you haven't started it yet Rhino. Re-elect Frank Sobotka!

I haven't seen that, will check it out. Was a bit disappointed with The Deuce (talking of Chris Bauer and David Simon), but did like We Own This City last year.

PS. If you're checking out Spiral then either skip the first series or accept that it's finding its feet, starting off as a "Law & Order" crime of the week type programme before working out it's much bigger/better than that.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:00 pm

I tried the first few eps of For all mankind and didn't get hooked, is this one to push on with ? It just seemed really slow and just about the space race standard story
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:22 pm

rhinoceroo wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

I haven't seen that, will check it out. Was a bit disappointed with The Deuce (talking of Chris Bauer and David Simon), but did like We Own This City last year.

PS. If you're checking out Spiral then either skip the first series or accept that it's finding its feet, starting off as a "Law & Order" crime of the week type programme before working out it's much bigger/better than that.

Wayne Jenkins nearly killed it for me WOTC 1st Ep, felt like a ridiculous character, but then I clicked that was more than likely exactly what the bloke was actually like.  Perfect name for the Series too.  This might be a little weird, but ever since watching The Wire I find myself checking the Baltimore Sun page probably once a month to look at the Homicides.  They have a dedicated map and COD report and names and ages.  I don't have a morbid personality (I still remember being horrified that Sportal had a Death List/Dead Pool thread), but this is something I do, and it feels a little off...

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/

Agree on The Deuce and I still haven't watched S3.  Really enjoyed it but was definitely a love/hate watch; will finish one day
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Revraiser wrote:I tried the first few eps of For all mankind and didn't get hooked, is this one to push on with ? It just seemed really slow and just about the space race standard story

Yeah, that pace is a lot of the show mate. The character development is a very strong part of it. There are a few eps in a row in S2 where it borders on being a soapie! It's all with a view to some pretty big and unexpected plot shifts though.

Moore did it with Battlestar Galactica as well I feel.

Succession is similar for me. 7 eps in and still couldn't get hooked. Obviously a great show, and I'll more than likely get back to it, but not bothered either way.
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:39 pm

standard-issue wrote:Up to date with all 3 Seasons of For All Mankind now.  Definitely more character development than 90% of shows, regardless of genre.

Feels like it needs a big shift for Season 4 though to keep it fresh.  S3 ending kind of foreshadows that, but, without making spoilers, not in the way I thought it would go.

I was absolutely not expecting that ending!
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:52 pm

Moanaman wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:Up to date with all 3 Seasons of For All Mankind now.  Definitely more character development than 90% of shows, regardless of genre.

I was absolutely not expecting that ending!

Haha, I know right.

No idea where they are going now. There is almost nothing online about S4 even though they started shooting 12 months ago apparently. I would love it if Moore pulled out some serious alien interaction Very Happy
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:06 pm

@standard-issue you animal ! That's crazy hey re Baltimore
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:12 pm

standard-issue wrote:

Yeah, that pace is a lot of the show mate.  The character development is a very strong part of it.  There are a few eps in a row in S2 where it borders on being a soapie!  It's all with a view to some pretty big and unexpected plot shifts though.  

Succession is similar for me.  7 eps in and still couldn't get hooked.  Obviously a great show, and I'll more than likely get back to it, but not bothered either way.

Ok, I might have to give it another crack.

Battlestar Galactica would be all time top 5 for me.

I really liked Severance, just so quirky and novel
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:55 pm

Revraiser wrote:@standard-issue you animal ! That's crazy hey re Baltimore

Haha, I think it sprouted from when I was watching The Wire for maybe the 3rd or 4th time.  I started Googling some of the Streets and landmarks, like The Towers and The Pit, and the basketball court, and the Docks and the Precinct etc.  It's meant to be pretty much the most "realistic" crime show, so jumped on Street View to check out those places.

There's a couple of websites devoted to The Wire locations, kind of like the Hollywood homes and Sopranos tours etc.  Then you go to Street View and scroll around those areas and see the homeless and the gangs and the old people sitting on their stoops and kids walking to School, and I realised what I see on my favourite crime drama as an entertainment 'escape' is actually everyday life for these entire Communities!
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:14 pm

Revraiser wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

Yeah, that pace is a lot of the show mate.  The character development is a very strong part of it.  There are a few eps in a row in S2 where it borders on being a soapie!  It's all with a view to some pretty big and unexpected plot shifts though.  

Succession is similar for me.  7 eps in and still couldn't get hooked.  Obviously a great show, and I'll more than likely get back to it, but not bothered either way.

Ok, I might have to give it another crack.

Battlestar Galactica would be all time top 5 for me.

I really liked Severance, just so quirky and novel

One of the all time plot twists in that S1 final of Severance!

BSG in my all time Top 5 as well mate.  Not sure if you've been following them, but the rumours about another new version are starting to remind me of waiting for the new TOOL album all those years  Laugh 3
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:25 am

My partner and I just finished watching Reacher, not sure which one of us was crushing on Alan Ritchson more. Fucking loved the show, good mix of humour and violence.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the Walking Dead spin-offs as well, given they were cutting the crew into thirds I thought it would get old quick but the right decision was made to make them short seasons. Looking forward to We Are the Ones Who Live.

Finished Better Call Saul recently as well, was a bit disappointed with how it all ended. Felt like it faded out which was a shame because I really enjoyed it.

And since I wasn't around back then, the Last of Us was absolutely incredible and I loved every single minute of it.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:41 pm

Shows we watched over summer

Boy Swallows Universe - hadn't read the book, but still enjoyed it

Bodies - This was a pretty good time travel cop drama on Netflix, thought this was pretty good too

Hijack - First episode or 2 were awesome and really hooked you, but it went downhill pretty fast

Good Place - watched this with the kids and knocked out all 4 seasons in a couple of weeks. I hadn't seen it before and found it worth the watch - final episode was good too, thought they gave a satisfying ending.

Would like to watch For All Mankind - its on the watch list.
    Think next thing I watch with the wife will be Dark though. I've seen season 1 a while ago, but she hasn't so will go back to the start to watch with her.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:16 pm

Honeysett wrote:My partner and I just finished watching Reacher, not sure which one of us was crushing on Alan Ritchson more. Fucking loved the show, good mix of humour and violence.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the Walking Dead spin-offs as well, given they were cutting the crew into thirds I thought it would get old quick but the right decision was made to make them short seasons. Looking forward to We Are the Ones Who Live.

Finished Better Call Saul recently as well, was a bit disappointed with how it all ended. Felt like it faded out which was a shame because I really enjoyed it.

And since I wasn't around back then, the Last of Us was absolutely incredible and I loved every single minute of it.

Welcome back HS.

Better call Saul was brilliant, did take a bit of a turn at the end but still top notch
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:18 pm

standard-issue wrote:

Haha, I think it sprouted from when I was watching The Wire for maybe the 3rd or 4th time.  I started Googling some of the Streets and landmarks, like The Towers and The Pit, and the basketball court, and the Docks and the Precinct etc.  It's meant to be pretty much the most "realistic" crime show, so jumped on Street View to check out those places.

There's a couple of websites devoted to The Wire locations, kind of like the Hollywood homes and Sopranos tours etc.  Then you go to Street View and scroll around those areas and see the homeless and the gangs and the old people sitting on their stoops and kids walking to School, and I realised what I see on my favourite crime drama as an entertainment 'escape' is actually everyday life for these entire Communities!

I was intending to come back here but suddenly 5 months have passed affraid

That's good in a way re the realism but as u said a sad reality also.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:23 pm

standard-issue wrote:

One of the all time plot twists in that S1 final of Severance!

BSG in my all time Top 5 as well mate.  Not sure if you've been following them, but the rumours about another new version are starting to remind me of waiting for the new TOOL album all those years  Laugh 3

I hadnt heard anything concrete.. how's this looking now re a new version/show ?

Severance season 2 where are ya !

Last edited by Revraiser on Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:47 pm