NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

TV thread 2

Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

TV thread 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: TV thread 2

Post by Revraiser Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:51 am

my tv broke wrote:

Googled this and it looks good, will have to try and remember to give it a go.

I've been watching Alone. Its pretty interesting. Survivalist show, but done fully legit. They drop 10 contestents in the wilderness (a long distance apart from each other so there is zero interaction) and the last one out there wins. Each person is given their own camera gear so they have to do all their own filming. Its good background viewing, throw it on and cook dinner etc while half paying attention, as it can be slow moving at times.

None of the reality or survivalist shows can hold my attention, due to pace and not being convinced they aren't a phone call away from rescue.

Snowfall has complex characters and switches up like SI said, gr8 show. Set in the 80's south central LA, that hood and Compton feel, it's very well done.

Last edited by Revraiser on Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:57 am

standard-issue wrote:Snowfall is great. Season to season it changes course pretty significantly.  Haven’t watched the final 2 Eps yet but they rated well so hopefully not disappointing.

FROM season 2 has been a little disappointing after a cracking first season. Feels like they didn’t expect to get renewed and didn’t have many ideas left. Still look forward to it every week though.

Yeah it does change up. There were two bizarre episodes which felt like they said we need to just experiment here for fun The tiger episode and the wedding epi.

FROM, liked the 1st season, not great.. but enough to try the 2nd season... Man,... it's so bad. The script is aimless and each character just walks from point to point having a random conversation. Exactly what I was thinking when watching. Pulling the plug on that one here.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:32 am

Revraiser wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:Snowfall is great. Season to season it changes course pretty significantly.  Haven’t watched the final 2 Eps yet but they rated well so hopefully not disappointing.

FROM season 2 has been a little disappointing after a cracking first season. Feels like they didn’t expect to get renewed and didn’t have many ideas left. Still look forward to it every week though.

Yeah it does change up. There were two bizarre episodes which felt like they said we need to just experiment here for fun  The tiger episode and the wedding epi.

FROM, liked the 1st season, not great.. but enough to try the 2nd season... Man,... it's so bad. The script is aimless and each character just walks from point to point having a random conversation. Exactly what I was thinking when watching. Pulling the plug on that one here.

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell. Now it’s like that small Settlement in an RPG that you’ve HAD to go back to to progress a mission, even though you’ve looted everything and spoken to everyone.

my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:45 am

Revraiser wrote:None if the reality or survivalist shows can hold my attention, due to pace and not being convinced they aren't a phone call away from rescue.

yeah, the pace can be slow.

I did a lot of digging to verify how 'legit' this one is. It is as close as it can come without being stupidly risky. They do have a GPS on them and a "tap out" satelite phone on them. If you hit the button or make the call that is the end of your time though. A few people have done serious injuries and needed to be evac'd. Can take the rescuers an hour or two to get to them.

They do a roughly weekly health check up/battery swap but they keep it extremely limited in terms of interaction. The doctors limit communication as much as possible. Generally they try to swap batteries when they know the contestant is away from their camp (fishing or whatever).

Its fairly hectic as there are bears and cougars around/etc.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:58 am

standard-issue wrote:

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell. Now it’s like that small Settlement in an RPG that you’ve HAD to go back to to progress a mission, even though you’ve looted everything and spoken to everyone.

Haha! That's a ripping comparison
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:00 am

my tv broke wrote:

yeah, the pace can be slow.

I did a lot of digging to verify how 'legit' this one is. It is as close as it can come without being stupidly risky. They do have a GPS on them and a "tap out" satelite phone on them. If you hit the button or make the call that is the end of your time though. A few people have done serious injuries and needed to be evac'd. Can take the rescuers an hour or two to get to them.

They do a roughly weekly health check up/battery swap but they keep it extremely limited in terms of interaction. The doctors limit communication as much as possible. Generally they try to swap batteries when they know the contestant is away from their camp (fishing or whatever).

Its fairly hectic as there are bears and cougars around/etc.

Should give it a crack then as survival in its own right is an appealing subject

Bears ? They must have a hidden gun then ? Bears eat more than honey did u know
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:09 pm

Revraiser wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

Haha! That's a ripping comparison  

Just watched the last ep of S2.  It was enough to keep me at least wanting to start S3.  For most of the Ep I still found myself yawning and throwing my hands in the air at how generic the default dialogue was, but the last couple of minutes were a decent hook. The next Season will either be exponentially worse or better I feel, no middle ground.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:15 pm

Deadloch is fantastic! Comedy whodunnit. 6 eps in, 2 to go.

Set in Tassie. Very fast paced. Aussie as humour but on the intelligent end.

You need to get through the first 30 minutes-Eddie Redcliffe's introduction was arduous for a lot of reviewer's, but becomes the favourite character further in. After that this shows becomes outstanding.

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:23 pm

standard-issue wrote:Deadloch is fantastic!  Comedy whodunnit. 6 eps in, 2 to go.  

Set in Tassie.  Very fast paced.  Aussie as humour but on the intelligent end.

You need to get through the first 30 minutes-Eddie Redcliffe's introduction was arduous for a lot of reviewer's, but becomes the favourite character further in.  After that this shows becomes outstanding.  

Yeah I watched the 2nd last ep last night

It’s a bit rough the first couple of eps with the character you said. Some of that is deliberate I think. Then it all clicks and it’s just flying.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:25 pm

robelgordo wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:Deadloch is fantastic!  Comedy whodunnit. 6 eps in, 2 to go.  

Set in Tassie.  Very fast paced.  Aussie as humour but on the intelligent end.

You need to get through the first 30 minutes-Eddie Redcliffe's introduction was arduous for a lot of reviewer's, but becomes the favourite character further in.  After that this shows becomes outstanding.  

Yeah I watched the 2nd last ep last night

It’s a bit rough the first couple of eps with the character you said. Some of that is deliberate I think. Then it all clicks and it’s just flying.

I'm pretty invested in it now, so hopefully more than 1 Season, but also hope that this storyline is wrapped up in this one.

I can't help but feel the wheelie bins at the very start actually reveal the killer...

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:53 am

standard-issue wrote:

I'm pretty invested in it now, so hopefully more than 1 Season, but also hope that this storyline is wrapped up in this one.

I can't help but feel the wheelie bins at the very start actually reveal the killer...

Watched the finale last night

Wrapped up but with an opening for a 2nd season. I hope there is but I dunno how Amazon decides what it makes more of - Will international audiences get it? If they do, will the most gratuitous use of the word cunt in TV history turn them off?
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:39 am

robelgordo wrote:

Watched the finale last night

Wrapped up but with an opening for a 2nd season. I hope there is but I dunno how Amazon decides what it makes more of - Will international audiences get it? If they do, will the most gratuitous use of the word cunt in TV history turn them off?

Yeah, watched it over the weekend Very Happy Was way down around 5th on my suspect list.

Great lead in for a second season so hopefully it happens. And yep, the cunts seemed to flow in the last couple of eps.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 am

Scored a 3 month free Apple TV subscription. Just about to finish watching Shrinking (recommend). What should I watch next ?
    Enchanted Glossy Flamingo

Post by Enchanted Glossy Flamingo Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:36 am

No Worries wrote:Scored a 3 month free Apple TV subscription. Just about to finish watching Shrinking (recommend). What should I watch next ?

Severance is fucking excellent, despite starting slow. Ted Lasso is consistently good. For All Mankind has its ups and downs but is solid if you like some sci-fi alt history.

Hijack and Silo also excellent
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:13 pm

Enchanted Glossy Flamingo wrote:
    No Worries wrote:Scored a 3 month free Apple TV subscription. Just about to finish watching Shrinking (recommend). What should I watch next ?

Severance is fucking excellent, despite starting slow. Ted Lasso is consistently good. For All Mankind has its ups and downs but is solid if you like some sci-fi alt history.

Hijack and Silo also excellent

I don't have Apple TV, but after looking into For All Mankind and Severance after your post I think I'll invest.  Was always interested in Silo after seeing the shorts, but didn't realise there were a few other quality SciFi series on there as well.

Even though I'm very excited to see FAM has Joel Kinnaman as the lead (he was amazing in The Killing), I think I'll check out Severance first.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:45 am

I think it's one if the better offering's, Apple. Maybe has less but full of some pearlers

Black Bird was brilliant, Paul Hauser who plays Larry is some of the best portrayal I've ever watched.

The Shrink next door is good, dark comedy based on true happenings, Will Ferrell.

Severance is gr8, but not for everyone I'd say. A mind fuck, very intruiging.

Just finished Silo, so we'll done. But u would know if u like this type of thing off the trailer. It's such a unique setting, real atmospheric. Askslads of questions though, with most unanswered or teasing.

Post by Enchanted Glossy Flamingo Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:46 am

standard-issue wrote:

I don't have Apple TV, but after looking into For All Mankind and Severance after your post I think I'll invest.  Was always interested in Silo after seeing the shorts, but didn't realise there were a few other quality SciFi series on there as well.

Even though I'm very excited to see FAM has Joel Kinnaman as the lead (he was amazing in The Killing), I think I'll check out Severance first.

Altered Carbon (S1) is more Joel Kinnaman + Scifi too when you're done!
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:44 am

Enchanted Glossy Flamingo wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

Altered Carbon (S1) is more Joel Kinnaman + Scifi too when you're done!

So signed up yesterday after the Footy and 6 hours later I was up to Ep 7 of Severance 😂 Very intriguing! Hooked straight away.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:17 pm

For All Mankind didn't disappoint, cheers Flamingo.

Halfway through S2 after 3 nights. As a MASSIVE fan of Battlestar Galactica reimagined, I am hoping Ronald D Moore introduces some alien interactions in S3 or the upcoming S4 Very Happy
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:18 pm

Jury Duty on Amazon Prime is a nice easy watch. Recommended for fans of the office. Each episode also has audio commentary with the cast which I watched a few of those as well.

Currently grabbing For All Mankind as it looks like Mrs Cow and I might enjoy it

Only Murders in the Building just restarted, and Ahsoka starts soon as well (plus we still haven't got around to the Bear season 2)

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:07 pm