NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Newcastle Knights

    Share
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1410
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:05 pm

    Huge if his second test also comes back postitive.
    Blessing in disguise for Newcastle though IMO.
    700k a year saved for his 5 games.

    Might mean we bring Ponga a year earlier now, or we can bring in a good prop. Not that there are any left on the market at this stage of the off season.
    Not sure of what other 6's are on the market at the moment, I hope we dont do something silly and bring a bloke like jamie soward in as a stop gap.

    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1410
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:23 pm

    2 Words..


    Todd Carney
    avatar
    Bren
    Moderator

    Posts : 8632
    Reputation : 1406
    Join date : 2015-09-16

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Bren on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm

    @Pieman wrote:2 Words..


    Todd Carney

    Is Mullen bubbling?
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4174
    Reputation : 932
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm

    When they said he was going to be the next Andrew Johns I thought it would be football related, not drug related.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 7505
    Reputation : 866
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by SI on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:When they said he was going to be the next Andrew Johns I thought it would be football related, not drug related.

    #gettingthejumponbren
    avatar
    Bren
    Moderator

    Posts : 8632
    Reputation : 1406
    Join date : 2015-09-16

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Bren on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 pm

    flasSId* wrote:

    #gettingthejumponbren

    I'm just surprised it wasn't meth or eccies.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4174
    Reputation : 932
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:49 pm

    ^ He had his chance and bottled it.

    In a serious response to Mullen, for a Knights standpoint, it's a slap in the face. The club stuck by him for years with injuries and he does this. Goodbye, Mullen.

    From Mullen's point of view, he showed weak character but after so many injuries he's probably got sick of rehab and knew his time was up so he's tired to get back too quick and cheated.

    Horrible way to end a career that never reached the heights that it should have.

    Cheaters cannot be tolerated in the game, I think the NRL should really make an example out of him since any punishment really ends his career anyway. Give him the full 4 year ban.
    avatar
    User Name

    Posts : 180
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2016-01-08

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by User Name on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm

    As bad as it is hopefully it was only from desperation. I feel sorry for the bloke.

    I agree with you Honeysett. Maximum ban should apply.

    Dip

    Posts : 824
    Reputation : 87
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Dip on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 pm

    Has the base penalty been increased to 4 years? From memory guys who got steroid bans used to only get 2 years (thinking track runners as much as anything). Unless it's his second offence?????

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 740
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:02 pm

    @Dip wrote:Has the base penalty been increased to 4 years? From memory guys who got steroid bans used to only get 2 years (thinking track runners as much as anything). Unless it's his second offence?????

    The most recent example is 12 months reduced to 3 games with backdating....
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1410
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    The most recent example is 12 months reduced to 3 games with backdating....

    totally different situation


    It must be 2 years for rec drugs and 4 years for performance enhancers??

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 740
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    totally different situation


    It must be 2 years for rec drugs and 4 years for performance enhancers??

    Is it 12 months for 'only cheating a bit' or something??

    If the ban was only 2 years, Mullen's career might not be over.

    Even if it were 4 years, the bloke is only 29 and has only racked up 200 odd games due to injuries....not out of the question that he takes the time off to heal is frail body and returns at 33yo
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4174
    Reputation : 932
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:34 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Is it 12 months for 'only cheating a bit' or something??

    If the ban was only 2 years, Mullen's career might not be over.

    Even if it were 4 years, the bloke is only 29 and has only racked up 200 odd games due to injuries....not out of the question that he takes the time off to heal is frail body and returns at 33yo

    12 months was for unknowingly cheating under the impression that you're not doing the wrong thing.

    2 years is for illegal substances and 4 years is for steroids. I thought that was a fairly new thing though

    Dip

    Posts : 824
    Reputation : 87
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Dip on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 pm

    I highly doubt any club would sign an injury prone 33 year old who's had 4 years out of the game. But if he is signed by anyone, the Tigers will probably be paying 40% of his salary.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1410
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:42 pm

    I could see him coming back at 33 for the Storm, or bronco's if bennett is still there.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 1410
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:43 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Is it 12 months for 'only cheating a bit' or something??

    If the ban was only 2 years, Mullen's career might not be over.

    Even if it were 4 years, the bloke is only 29 and has only racked up 200 odd games due to injuries....not out of the question that he takes the time off to heal is frail body and returns at 33yo

    Intentional doping v being given something that the well regarded dr said is fine
    avatar
    Shanbon

    Posts : 1231
    Reputation : 118
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Shanbon on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 pm

    Much like the Ben Barba case a massive headache for the club saved. Will have a heap of cap room but with that comes a big test, will they waste it with below avg mid-year signings other clubs need off the books to get under the cap or do the right thing, re-sign a few of their promising young guys front loading the contract now giving them a massive amount to make big signings over 2018/19 to complement Ponga

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 740
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 am

    @Honeysett wrote:

    12 months was for unknowingly cheating under the impression that you're not doing the wrong thing.

    2 years is for illegal substances and 4 years is for steroids. I thought that was a fairly new thing though

    The 12 months was an almost unprecedented relaxation.

    It's meant to be difficult to prove no fault or negligence so that everyone who get's caught doesn't then attempt to claim it - surprised Mullen hasn't tried the same defence to be honest...maybe he still will.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 740
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:49 am

    @Shanbon wrote:Much like the Ben Barba case a massive headache for the club saved. Will have a heap of cap room but with that comes a big test, will they waste it with below avg mid-year signings other clubs need off the books to get under the cap or do the right thing, re-sign a few of their promising young guys front loading the contract now giving them a massive amount to make big signings over 2018/19 to complement Ponga

    Agreed.

    Would be a shame to have gone through all the growing pain's of last year, only to be tempted by some short term relief that isn't part of the long term plan.
    avatar
    bluetige

    Posts : 1123
    Reputation : 302
    Join date : 2015-12-13

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by bluetige on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

    Mullen, wow, what a naughty boy. I would never of thought he would do such a thing but I guess he was so desperate to overcome his troublesome groin issues he didn't think about the consequences and wanted to take a short cut in recovery.

    What surprises me is he was tested late last year and he would have known the result would eventually come back positive, so why not take the easy out and retire before being humiliated and labelled a drug cheat.

    Bloody dumb idiot for taking steroids in the first place.

      Current date/time is Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:08 am