NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2020 NRL Fantasy MISTAKE thread

RandomSil
    RandomSil

2020 NRL Fantasy MISTAKE thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020 NRL Fantasy MISTAKE thread

Post by RandomSil Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 pm

Traded out Lomax after positional change Week 1 because I had no other needs to trade....
    Welshy
    Welshy

2020 NRL Fantasy MISTAKE thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020 NRL Fantasy MISTAKE thread

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:53 pm

RandomSil wrote:Traded out Lomax after positional change Week 1 because I had no other needs to trade....

Looks like a few did this. Might be worse than never owning him
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 pm

Welshy wrote:
    RandomSil wrote:Traded out Lomax after positional change Week 1 because I had no other needs to trade....

Looks like a few did this. Might be worse than never owning him

Sure as fuck hurts a lot more, especially when I was super keen on him.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 pm

Starting with Levi and Williams. I originally thought they were terrible picks.  I wasn't keen on either but it was a tough year for value. Usually a few cheapies turn up on TLT but there was zero, zip, nada.

I was heavily influenced by some on this forum and I came around. That sounds like I'm blaming someone else. I'm not. It was my bad decision. I'm only posting it because it's a bad decisions (lessons learned?) thread.

I figured, starting lock, they usually score well, PG13 replacement, he's coming into grade, everyone's on him even though his stats were marginal at best etc etc. Actually both their stats were terrible IIRC. A lot on here have a much bigger footy IQ than me, but this was my fifth year of fantasy, I know the deal. I didn't want to pick them but I did anyway. I mean partly because there weren't many options but also group think.

Beware of group think. But also beware of arrogance. Nothing wrong with being influenced by people who make excellent points, but trust your instincts when others' views don't stack up. Back yourself, but don't be obstinate. Own it if you are wrong and learn from it.

Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 pm

Mulvy wrote:Starting with Levi and Williams. I originally thought they were terrible picks.  I wasn't keen on either but it was a tough year for value. Usually a few cheapies turn up on TLT but there was zero, zip, nada.

I was heavily influenced by some on this forum and I came around. That sounds like I'm blaming someone else. I'm not. It was my bad decision. I'm only posting it because it's a bad decisions (lessons learned?) thread.

I figured, starting lock, they usually score well, PG13 replacement, he's coming into grade, everyone's on him even though his stats were marginal at best etc etc. Actually both their stats were terrible IIRC. A lot on here have a much bigger footy IQ than me, but this was my fifth year of fantasy, I know the deal. I didn't want to pick them but I did anyway. I mean partly because there weren't many options but also group think.

Beware of group think. But also beware of arrogance. Nothing wrong with being influenced by people who make excellent points, but trust your instincts when others' views don't stack up. Back yourself, but don't be obstinate. Own it if you are wrong and learn from it.

Group think especially here is usually correct in assumptions because it's based on research and previous stats but it does work both ways obviously.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:04 am

Welshy wrote:

Group think especially here is usually correct in assumptions because it's based on research and previous stats but it does work both ways obviously.

For sure, it's why I usually go cookie cutter with a few tweaks here and there. Try and be disciplined, and make moves during the byes. Another reason why I made some wild trades last year. I digress.

Like Matt (I think) I dropped both the first chance I had after rd 3, and from memory it actually was rd 3. The year before I dropped Holland after rd 1 and Edwards after rd 2. Gotta cut the losers. I just can't believe that he won't admit cutting Pappy was a bad call. He wasn't a loser.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21
    Fanatic

Post by Rabbits21 Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:06 am

I took too much notice of trial form and wrote Lomax off after trials.

Sold Williams to Magoulias rather than waiting a week for a better option.

Wait a week if there aren’t any solid options.

Rather than thinking POD think who will score the best.

I think I owned Knight, Magoulias, Williame etc.......
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 am

Mulvy wrote:

For sure, it's why I usually go cookie cutter with a few tweaks here and there. Try and be disciplined, and make moves during the byes. Another reason why I made some wild trades last year. I digress.

Like Matt (I think) I dropped both the first chance I had after rd 3, and from memory it actually was rd 3. The year before I dropped Holland after rd 1 and Edwards after rd 2. Gotta cut the losers. I just can't believe that he won't admit cutting Pappy was a bad call. He wasn't a loser.

Sometimes its tough to admit your are wrong in life. I don't think admitting it in fantasy is the hardest setting to do it in. End of the day no one gives a shit lol
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 am

Rabbits21 wrote:I took too much notice of trial form and wrote Lomax off after trials.

Sold Williams to Magoulias rather than waiting a week for a better option.

Wait a week if there aren’t any solid options.

Rather than thinking POD think who will score the best.

I think I owned Knight, Magoulias, Williame etc.......

Forgot Williame

Add him to my list. Although base player fails are no great shakes
    Moanaman
    Moanaman

Post by Moanaman Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:15 am

Last years mistakes include....

Levi
    Williams
    Cartwright
    Margoulis

Last years wins
    Lomax R1
    Best R3
    Keeping Lucy all season
    Api Koroisau R1

Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:22 am

my biggest fails last year:

* Starting with Arrow (788k) instead of Cleary (778k) because I wanted to POD up. This one was an absolute killer.

* Sold Walters to Magoulias in round 3, when Mags got named that one time, cost me a trade when I sold Magoulias to S Crichton a week later (I could have just done that trade direct and Crichton had got the starting spot by then)

* Bought Averillo instead of Talau in round 7, Averillo got an 8 and Talau got a try if I remember right, and I ended up buying Talau the week after and held for the year

* Buying Chris Randall instead of Tom Starling in round 12, this one gave me a big red dot for the rest of the year and along with the next one, left me constantly short of numbers from that point on, which forced my hand with some really sideways or backwards trades (Flanagan to Wighton, Haas to Hunt, Lolo to N Brown)

* Buying Munster instead of Moses in round 13, in the week that the forum was constantly going back and forth, I of course picked the one who got injured that week.

Things I did well last year:

* Started with Lomax and kept him the whole year, and got S Crichton early enough that from then on, I didn't have to worry about my centres ever again.

* Got on Fotuaika early, and he was a handy little POD for a few weeks before everyone else bought him.

* Bought Capewell in round 3, so I got two big scores out of him before he got injured

* Bought Teddy in round 5, the week he got 111 against the Dogs.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:33 am

Moanaman wrote:Last years mistakes include....

Levi
    Williams
    Cartwright
    Margoulis

Last years wins
    Lomax R1
    Best R3
    Keeping Lucy all season
    Api Koroisau R1

Nice mate. Some shittos in first list
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:37 am

Bethany_B wrote:my biggest fails last year:

* Starting with Arrow (788k) instead of Cleary (778k) because I wanted to POD up. This one was an absolute killer.

* Sold Walters to Magoulias in round 3, when Mags got named that one time, cost me a trade when I sold Magoulias to S Crichton a week later (I could have just done that trade direct and Crichton had got the starting spot by then)

* Bought Averillo instead of Talau in round 7, Averillo got an 8 and Talau got a try if I remember right, and I ended up buying Talau the week after and held for the year

* Buying Chris Randall instead of Tom Starling in round 12, this one gave me a big red dot for the rest of the year and along with the next one, left me constantly short of numbers from that point on, which forced my hand with some really sideways or backwards trades (Flanagan to Wighton, Haas to Hunt, Lolo to N Brown)

* Buying Munster instead of Moses in round 13, in the week that the forum was constantly going back and forth, I of course picked the one who got injured that week.

Things I did well last year:

* Started with Lomax and kept him the whole year, and got S Crichton early enough that from then on, I didn't have to worry about my centres ever again.

* Got on Fotuaika early, and he was a handy little POD for a few weeks before everyone else bought him.

* Bought Capewell in round 3, so I got two big scores out of him before he got injured

* Bought Teddy in round 5, the week he got 111 against the Dogs.

Your fails show how tough it is to choose when you have little to no stats and its just guess work

Randall over Starling
    Averillo over Talau
    Munster over Moses

so many 50/50s in those
    Bethany_B
    Bethany_B

Post by Bethany_B Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:48 am

Welshy wrote:

Your fails show how tough it is to choose when you have little to no stats and its just guess work

Randall over Starling
    Averillo over Talau
    Munster over Moses

so many 50/50s in those

Pretty much. I get most of my 50/50s wrong, and it's so annoying. I reckon a lot of my bad 50/50s are from second guessing myself and backflipping multiple times, so lesson learned I need to stick with my gut feeling. - it's the main reason I've had Papy locked in my team since fantasy opened.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:15 am

Bethany_B wrote:my biggest fails last year:

* Buying Chris Randall instead of Tom Starling in round 12, this one gave me a big red dot for the rest of the year and along with the next one, left me constantly short of numbers from that point on, which forced my hand with some really sideways or backwards trades.

Man this was a bad outcome. How could you be so stu......ah yep, I did that one too.

I don't particularly rate not picking Starling as a mistake, bench hookers are normally a bad choice. Picking Randall however, terrible. They had gone out of their way not to pick him. I"m thinking, "well there's no one else" Until they sign someone else. Lesson learned.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:18 am

Mulvy wrote:

Man this was a bad outcome. How could you be so stu......ah yep, I did that one too.

I don't particularly rate not picking Starling as a mistake, bench hookers are normally a bad choice. Picking Randall however, terrible. They had gone out of their way not to pick him. I"m thinking, "well there's no one else" Until they sign someone else. Lesson learned.

Yup I went over the 80 minutes for Randall and not 50/55 for Starling. Ouch
    manlybeaver
    manlybeaver

Post by manlybeaver Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:34 am

Starting with williams, knight and stimson.

Never having dce or cleary in my side all year

Never buying lomax due to me believing he couldn't maintain it what let to shit ton of trades wasted in the ctr position what fucked my cash generation.

Not having enough cash generated left me having alot of 2nd tier guns like reynolds, pearce, taupau etc
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:36 am

Welshy wrote:

Randall over Starling
    Averillo over Talau
    Munster over Moses

so many 50/50s in those

I owned talau for a week then punted him, lol.

Didnt get starling at all, that hurt.

I grabbed Hunt incredibly late, the moment i grabbed him his scores dropped right off, and everyone else already had him..

Obvs starting with levi and williams. Tbh its hard to fault the logic there, aside from the fact they are bad footballers lol. I think williams is excusable tho.....

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:38 am

Going the season without Lomax.
    Levi and Williams and taking too long to dump Levi.
    Plenty of others I'm sure, only ones that come to mind atm.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 am

my tv broke wrote:

I owned talau for a week then punted him, lol.

Didnt get starling at all, that hurt.

I grabbed Hunt incredibly late, the moment i grabbed him his scores dropped right off, and everyone else already had him..

Obvs starting with levi and williams. Tbh its hard to fault the logic there, aside from the fact they are bad footballers lol. I think williams is excusable tho.....

WT2K wrote:Going the season without Lomax.
    Levi and Williams and taking too long to dump Levi.
    Plenty of others I'm sure, only ones that come to mind atm.

Levi logic was there I literally swapped him out 5 minutes before season started. Good stats in big minutes but his shitness played against him

same feeling I have for Egan this season, can't/won't do it

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:12 pm