NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 61

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 61 - Page 26 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 61

Post by ryno_ Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Duffers. Versing a rabble of a backline, no questions around Moylan/Whare slotting back in.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 61 - Page 26 Empty Re: 2017 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 61

Post by Mulvy Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Pain wrote:

No one this week.  Merrin to Teddy last week was my final trade.  

Oh dear. Macca out sucks for you big time. Good luck in our match up. I need a win for any chance of scraping into our league finals
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Spectre wrote:

Under no circumstance should it ever be the players decision
    Absolutely. I think you are right. Crichton did say in an interview recently that the final decision is upon himself. You would think the Rabbitohs would rest him since they are now out of top 8 contentions however you cannot deny that his form hasn't really dropped off that much because of the injury.

I think the general consensus was that if he isn't doing any further damage to the injury and he feels comfortable within himself to play then he will continue to do so.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Then that's a club culture that needs to change.
    I'll look up the interview he did where he talked about the injury and how they are managing it and post it up later on. I don't think there is anything there that paints a negative image of the club culture and I think the circumstances are different compared to the Inglis injury.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 pm

If the injury was getting affected or getting worse from playing, of course the club would step in and not let Angus play.

Sam's is a pain tolerance thing. He probably should rest it, but that type of injury isn't really going to get worse from playing IMO.

Greg, yeah, he should have come off, but I guess if he was back playing a week or two later and the injury didn't turn out so serious, everyone would probably have forgotten about it, and it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm

wolfking wrote:If the injury was getting affected or getting worse from playing, of course the club would step in and not let Angus play.

Sam's is a pain tolerance thing.  He probably should rest it, but that type of injury isn't really going to get worse from playing IMO.

Greg, yeah, he should have come off, but I guess if he was back playing a week or two later and the injury didn't turn out so serious, everyone would probably have forgotten about it, and it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

Michael Maguire on Sam - "he probably shouldn't have played tonight, but, you know, he puts his hand up for this club".

If @nrlphysio is suss on them and their internal policies/culture, its good enough for me to be suss on them aswell.
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:04 pm

The Inglis thing was atrocious that's for sure but otherwise I think what they're doing with Sam and Angus isn't too shady. I mean Gus Gould made one of his rare good points when he stated towards the business end of the season, most players are playing through some sort of niggling injuries.
    Look at Tom Trbjoevic last year. Put off ankle surgery for months. Jorge Taufua even played on with an infected plate in his chest or something. Nobody is really questioning Manly right now.

In this day and age the clubs are bound by duties of care and for all the shit NRL gets in the press, they'd have to be pretty stupid to do anything too dubious and breach any rules or code of conducts.
    If the club and medical staff believe that they are alright to play on then that's good enough for me.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm

mulvy wrote:

Oh dear. Macca out sucks for you big time. Good luck in our match up. I need a win for any chance of scraping into our league finals

Yeah it sucks ass big time. Worse for him though, poor bugger.

Mearcats
    Mearcats

Post by Mearcats Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't think it's a question of whether players are able to play on through these things... And I don't think it's a simple as "if the club says it's ok then it's ok" (not a dig at you JBG). I think it's a matter of whether or not the player SHOULD actually be playing. In the case of some of these players, the answer is definitely no. Think the likes of Milford currently, TTurbo last year and GI this year.

Now, not to get all conspiracy theory or anything but if there is an ounce of truth to the rumors out of South Sydney that GI was told to go back on and play (with his history of knee issues) then that's a breach of the duty of care and a deadset dumb fuck move.

The flipside to this is what if there wasn't the restrictions that we currently have in place regarding the second tier salary cap? Then there is absolutely no need whatsoever to have players playing through injury. The Titans are a classic example of this in a two fold sense. For the past few years they have had endless injury problems. Problem a) they continuously get caught out with the second tier salary cap and then either have to rush players back that aren't yet 100% and, problem b) they do discover someone on a second tier contract (Morgan Boyle this year) who they are unable to play after a handful of games due to the fact that this would push them over the cap.

I think the injury problems in league (and a lot of professional sports) are harder to rectify than we think. The main thing that needs to be taken into account is a players welfare. This is also a hard thing to do as we are known as a "blue collar hard mans" sport. So players feel the need to get out there and play through the injury. That's a culture thing in it's own right.

I for one was pretty blown away at the mental and physical fortitude of Surgess playing basically the entirety of a GF with a smashed face. That still doesn't mean that I think it was a wise decision.

TLDR; I don't think the injury thing is a cut and dry as we'd all like to say it is. But, as a competition, we need to do better.
    Nrl4Life
    Nrl4Life

Post by Nrl4Life Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Is storms gonna release an injury update on munster? Precautionary
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Nrl4Life wrote:Is storms gonna release an injury update on munster? Precautionary

yes, it is literally the first post on their website, and was also posted on the page prior to this one
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Nrl4Life wrote:Is storms gonna release an injury update on munster? Precautionary

Yeah I posted this just on the last page;

Cameron Munster will miss the Cowboys clash after suffering a low grade high ankle sprain in Sunday’s win against Manly.

It is expected Munster will only miss this week’s match and be available for selection to play the Roosters at AAMI Park on Saturday 12 August.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 pm

My trade finger is so itchy I'm going crazy. Was even looking at a sideways Semi - Roberts trade, but that's probably silly.

I have 3 trades and thinking Teddy is a must considering he said he's playing for a Roo's jumper. Do I burn two trades this week to get him in, or wait a week and see if I get through this weekend without injuries and do it next week?

I'm thinking 1 trade with 4 weeks might push it, but 1 trade with 3 weeks is acceptable.
    Mulvy
    Mulvy

Post by Mulvy Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Rank 161, one trade left, 211k

CS9, McInnes
    Fifita Kapow JBrom Tualau
    JDB Gallen Surgess Chrichton NBrown Lane
    Arey Pearce Frown Laybutt
    Hoppa SMat Fui Scott
    Ted Munster Edwards Hayne CMat

I keep the trade right? No genius moves?
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Mearcats wrote:
    TLDR; I don't think the injury thing is a cut and dry as we'd all like to say it is. But, as a competition, we need to do better.

Well I'm never one to take everything a public company puts out at face value but at some point you have to say the people in charge probably know better than we do. When McCullough had that sickening concussion earlier in the year, he was actually rated a chance to play the next week.

He didn't but if he passed all the protocols set by the concussion standards and the doctors had given him an a-ok, who are fans to say he should or shouldn't play? Take Nu Brown for instance, I doubt the Sharks would giving the guy permanent brain damage if he wasn't passed fit to play nor Slater for the Storm.

The NRL is getting there with it's injury management. The Eels outright said to De Gois we'll pay you to train but we will not allow you to play football.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:48 pm

mulvy wrote:Rank 161, one trade left, 211k

CS9, McInnes
    Hoppa SMat Fui Scott

Hold.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Who to play this week?

Hayne, Fui or Leilua at second centre.
    RTS or Semi at WFB.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Yep, hold Mulvy.
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

mulvy wrote:Rank 161, one trade left, 211k

CS9, McInnes
    Hoppa SMat Fui Scott

I have the same HLF's pairing with 1 trade left. Consider how screwed we'll be if somebody goes down there. Only one DPP to use who is currently out of action. I'd hold fire on that trade and the only time I'd use it is for a gun HLF injury.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

wolfking wrote:My trade finger is so itchy I'm going crazy.  Was even looking at a sideways Semi - Roberts trade, but that's probably silly.

I have 3 trades and thinking Teddy is a must considering he said he's playing for a Roo's jumper.  Do I burn two trades this week to get him in, or wait a week and see if I get through this weekend without injuries and do it next week?

I'm thinking 1 trade with 4 weeks might push it, but 1 trade with 3 weeks is acceptable.
    Agreed, wait a week and still have the benefit of a month with him, but the added benefit of seeing any carnage this weekend.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:11 pm