NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

Poll

Do we need a Kangaroos Origin merit team ?

[ 1 ]
    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_left17%2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 3 ]
    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_left50%2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_left33%2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Bar_right [33%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am

dasherhalo wrote:

Right sentiment, wrong implementation.
    I'm all for getting pride back into the national jersey, but you won't do that with parlour tricks. Trying to shoehorn the national agenda onto Origin simply doesn't work. These were the best players of Origin. Won't have anything to do with the National side.

Mal's at the top of the tree now. He' got the gravitas to build the Aussie team's profile into the 800lb Silverback Gorilla it should be. Chipping away with quasi-relevant gold star-giving doesn't work for me

Fair enough. As I said each to their own and the proof will be in the pudding.

Personally, I'll take what I can get and have no qualms accepting and embracing any quasi-relevant gold star-giving I can get my hands on!
    Mearcats
    Mearcats

2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Kangaroos Origin Merit Team named

Post by Mearcats Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 pm

I'd hafta agree with Dasher. I get what you're saying OSM and I (along with everyone here it seems and I would certainly hope) am keen as to see the international game be more relevant and have a lot more importance. But even with big Mal there and an irrelevant list like this, it's a drop in the ocean.

The primary importance isn't that the guys who get selected aren't proud. That's not affecting the culture or the standing of international football (despite the argument that our squad often gets picked on "name" and incumbency rather than form which I don't disagree with) in Australia I feel. I think the problem comes down to two main points.

1. There is not enough emphasis on international footy from the governing body at the very beginning. A severe lack of scheduling means that there just isn't the momentum and aura about the game that there should be. Now, whether this is due to an already too long NRL season or the fact that Rugby League itself is not a game that is truly "international" to the level of football, rugby union etc is another discussion altogether. *yes I know the game is played across the world so by the very definition of the word, it is an international game but you get my drift.

2. There is a very obvious disparity in the actual level of the game between nations. This stems from the second half of my previous point I suppose but it's true and this in it's own right affects the importance of the international game in every aspect from scheduling to viewers interests and all the way down. It's improving, sure, but it just ain't there yet. Sad but true. This is something that the IRL needs to address much more proactively than they have been.

I love my league, my Broncs and am a passionate Queenslander and a proud Aussie, I would just like to see international footy be the pinnacle of our game as it is in basically every other sport. How we get there is for people much more knowledgeable than I and I may never see it in my lifetime but that's my hope.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 am

Putting this here because fk it

Michal Morgan should be the starting halfback or 6 for australia. He is brilliant. There is no better halfback in the game than him right now. He is a genuine match winner and proven performer. That guy needs to be rewarded with a starting spot in the Australian team. I would even pick him over Cooper Cronk at this point in their careers.

Absolutely brilliant player.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

Pieman wrote:Putting this here because fk it

Michal Morgan should be the starting halfback or 6 for australia. He is brilliant. There is no better halfback in the game than him right now. He is a genuine match winner and proven performer. That guy needs to be rewarded with a starting spot in the Australian team. I would even pick him over Cooper Cronk at this point in their careers.

Absolutely brilliant player.

While I agree Morgan has been brilliant of late I do not agree with him getting the Australian #7 spot over Cooper Cronk. Will be a fight over the #6 spot though. Will be interesting to see who Mal goes with between Munster, Morgan or Maloney.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 am

Surely Morgan and Munster are ahead of Maloney due both their teams being still in the comp.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think they will pick him over Cronk, but I wouldnt hate it if they did. Maloney can Eat a fat one. The cunt gives too many penalties away, is terrible in defence too. He deadset does something every game he should be binned for - the amount of intentional penalties he gives away is just astounding.

Really enjoy Morgan watching him play and he is a deadset winner and seems like a really good person too. I would be going with him at 6, Cronk at 7 with Munster on the bench.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 am

It has to be

6. Morgan
    7. Cronk

Maloney can fuck right off, shouldn't be anywhere near it, and Munster, he has been outstanding, but he wouldn't be doing for the Cowboys whatMorgan is doing.

I'd be a decent 6 with Slater, Cronk and Smith by my side. I'll reserve judgement on him until He is running a ship. (That said, he is a very very handy footballer, so I expect he will acquit himself well)
    Dip

Post by Dip Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 am

Munster 6, Morgan 14.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am