NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Dip

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by Dip Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 am

After Wallace, the best of the rest when it comes to props would be Tim Glasby. Sims has had a great year, and gets more attention as he's scoring a few tries, but he's not been screaming "pick me".

I miss the years when someone the quality of Ben Hannant at top form will still miss out to Petro, Price, Scott, Shillington. That would probably be the greatest prop rotation in Origin History.
    Ice

QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: QLD State of Origin 2019 Thread

Post by Ice Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Dip wrote:After Wallace, the best of the rest when it comes to props would be Tim Glasby. Sims has had a great year, and gets more attention as he's scoring a few tries, but he's not been screaming "pick me".

I miss the years when someone the quality of Ben Hannant at top form will still miss out to Petro, Price, Scott, Shillington. That would probably be the greatest prop rotation in Origin History.

Yep, that's a good prop rotation. Which poses the question, what is NSW best, and if we are choosing Origin teams from players who have played Origin in the last 20 years, what does each state look like and which side is better, with the caveat that each player chosen is at their peak, so a guy might have played his final game in 96, and not been at his peak, but for the sake of the discussion let's assume he is, what are your teams?

Perhaps I'll start a new thread.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 am

surmo13 wrote:

not Thaiday, in the article your referring to, he basically says if he was Walters, he'd pick him again but pull him aside and tell him in no uncertain terms what's expected of him.

But yeh, the gist of his article is Slater to fullback, Boyd to wing, with Gagai moved to centre and O'Neill left-right-out, then Myles, Guerra & Lillyman out for 3 of Wallace/Hess/Cooper/Sims.

He was nearly bang on
    Sims for glasby
    far out. Tim Glasby... hahahahahahaha fark

QLD loyalty .... hahahahahaha.
    Lose 1 game and you are GONE.

MYTHBUSTED

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 am

Will wallace get a week?
    Surely Glasby and Napa wont be the starting props for QLD if he does.

I didnt think it would happen, was certain it wouldnt actually, but Fuckin Hess. Thats a good pick IMO. He is a genuine scary sort of player, could have some great impact from the bench.

Geez QLD will struggle if the front row is Glasby and Napa.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:50 am

leaguegod wrote:you are correct actually surmo

re hodges, i actually don't mind him, look i hated the guy as a player but i have found him to be a pretty confident & clear speaker providing a pretty good insight

i have on the other hand been quite disappointed with both ennis and parker, ennis is doing the old gasnier trick of exaggerating every facet of the game whether its good or bad. while parker is just very bland

You are prob right in both ur comments on ennis and parker.
    At least ennis can spit a sentence out though - albeit full of hyperbole. Hodges and Parker seem to have one thought in their heads then cant articulate it

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 am

Pieman wrote:

He was nearly bang on
    Sims for glasby
    far out. Tim Glasby... hahahahahahaha fark

QLD loyalty .... hahahahahaha.
    Lose 1 game and you are GONE.

MYTHBUSTED

if that were the case, wouldn't our game 1 team this year have looked completely different to the game 3 team last year that lost?

it's called loyalty not insanity, if we'd lost by 2 in a close game, maybe Slater comes in as our only non-injury-related change, but we were thoroughly outplayed in game 1, so something had to be done, with the series on the line you can't roll out a team that got beaten by 24 and expect them to magically turn things around.

The reason why 'QLD loyalty' is even a thing is because for 10 years no matter if NSW won or lost a game and by how many, they had a constant need to change the team around and/or throw the baby out with the bathwater, even the year after you finally won the series your team had more changes from game 3 to game 1 than QLD did.

theres an article out at the moment that states if NSW named an unchanged line-up, it would be the first time in 21 years! No fucking wonder our policy is considered loyalty if that what it's being compared to

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:06 am

Just on the origin side though, i mentioned it in the fantasy thread but it obviously fits better here, is this the first game since the introduction of the Broncos (save for the super-league unavailability) that they've been outnumbered in the QLD side by another club?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 am

surmo13 wrote:

if that were the case, wouldn't our game 1 team this year have looked completely different to the game 3 team last year that lost?

it's called loyalty not insanity, if we'd lost by 2 in a close game, maybe Slater comes in as our only non-injury-related change, but we were thoroughly outplayed in game 1, so something had to be done, with the series on the line you can't roll out a team that got beaten by 24 and expect them to magically turn things around.

The reason why 'QLD loyalty' is even a thing is because for 10 years no matter if NSW won or lost a game and by how many, they had a constant need to change the team around and/or throw the baby out with the bathwater, even the year after you finally won the series your team had more changes from game 3 to game 1 than QLD did.

theres an article out at the moment that states if NSW named an unchanged line-up, it would be the first time in 21 years! No fucking wonder our policy is considered loyalty if that what it's being compared to
    I never claimed NSW was the most loyal side. Success clearly breeds loyalty though.

Its 1 game. They lost 1 game.

Why did Oates get dropped?
    Why did Guerra do wong?
    Why Thiaday?
    Why Oneil? Besides getting a bath from hayne once or twice - he wasnt bad.
    Why did Lillyman get dropped?

I mean fuck, they lost that game coz they got pounded up the middle, not because of Oates/Oneil/boyd at fb.

They lost 1 fucking game! lol. So this is loyalty is it - you win and play brilliantly or you get dropped? You get 1 game to do it. Thats NSW policy. amazing. Loyalty is giving them a crack after a rough trot - not dropping them after 1 fucking loss.

If they are looking to the future, why keep cronk and thurston? Why bring slater back?
    I agree with pretty much every change - but fucking L o L to the QLD Loyalty myth.

Lose one game and you are punted. Thats loyalty, thats QLD

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 am

surmo13 wrote:Just on the origin side though, i mentioned it in the fantasy thread but it obviously fits better here, is this the first game since the introduction of the Broncos (save for the super-league unavailability) that they've been outnumbered in the QLD side by another club?

nevermind, just skimmed old sides, not even close, Game 1 1990 Raiders outnumbered us, Game 1 2005 Cowboys outnumbered us, outnumbered by the Storm through 2008, game 3 2009, 2 & 3 2010.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 am

Pieman wrote:If QLD lose -
    Myles gone
    Lillyman gone
    Milford gone
    Guerra gone
    Oates gone

I was almost spot on with this post before origin 1. They went even further and punted a stalwart and an average centre.

dasherhalo wrote:

That sounds like Qld. Panicking after 10 from 11 - desperate to prove the haters wrong.

Wait... no, I'm thinking of the other guys....

Interesting mate, interesting.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am

Pieman wrote:
    I never claimed NSW was the most loyal side. Success clearly breeds loyalty though.

Its 1 game. They lost 1 game.

Why did Oates get dropped?
    Why did Guerra do wong?
    Why Thiaday?
    Why Oneil? Besides getting a bath from hayne once or twice - he wasnt bad.
    Why did Lillyman get dropped?

I mean fuck, they lost that game coz they got pounded up the middle, not because of Oates/Oneil/boyd at fb.

They lost 1 fucking game! lol. So this is loyalty is it - you win and play brilliantly or you get dropped? You get 1 game to do it. Thats NSW policy. amazing. Loyalty is giving them a crack after a rough trot - not dropping them after 1 fucking loss.

If they are looking to the future, why keep cronk and thurston? Why bring slater back?
    I agree with pretty much every change - but fucking L o L to the QLD Loyalty myth.

Lose one game and you are punted. Thats loyalty, thats QLD

this the team from Game 3 2016, which we lost:
    Darius Boyd
    Corey Oates
    Greg Inglis
    Justin O'Neill
    Dane Gagai
    Johnathan Thurston
    Cooper Cronk
    Matt Scott
    Cameron Smith (c)
    Nate Myles
    Matt Gillett
    Sam Thaiday
    Corey Parker
    Gavin Cooper
    Josh McGuire
    Aidan Guerra
    Jacob Lillyman

and here's the side from Game 1 2017:

Darius Boyd
    Corey Oates
    Will Chambers (Inglis injured)
    Justin O'Neill
    Dane Gagai
    Anthony Milford (Thurston injured)
    Cooper Cronk
    Dylan Napa (Matt Scott injured)
    Cameron Smith (c)
    Nate Myles
    Josh Papalii (injured for Game 3 last year)
    Matt Gillett
    Josh McGuire (Parker retired)

Michael Morgan (injured for Game 3 last year)
    Sam Thaiday
    Aidan Guerra
    Jacob Lillyman

so after a last-start loss, QLD made exactly ZERO changes that were not forced by injury - It's not lose one game and you are punted, it's get thrashed one game and yeh, understandly your head might be on the chopping block.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 am

Dead rubber bro.

Lose one meaningful game - and YOU ARE GONE
    Deez hoez aint loyalllll
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:57 am

Firstly, get fucked Pieman.

QLD are clearly the more loyal team for selecting blokes that have done the job before but that doesn't exclude us from ever making changes when they are required.
    We are loyal but not simpletons like yourself.

That aside, I think Kevvie went into Game 1 too conservative and has now overcompensated as the changes are just too drastic IMO.

Thaiday has had a really good year and there is no way he should have been punted, that is a poor overreaction.

Oates wouldn't have been in my Game 1 team (I would have picked Slater and shuffled Boyd) but did what he was asked and I would have stuck with him.

Hess may be the flavour of the year but another year doing what he's been doing would have been the way I went - hopefully he takes the opportunity and steps up.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:59 am

Pieman wrote:Dead rubber bro.

Lose one meaningful game - and YOU ARE GONE
    Deez hoez aint loyalllll

Beer
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:04 am

love it mate

Coffee
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:06 am

Fuck me, with the amount of fire you're throwing about, you guys had better win, Pieman!

Good work though. First time in a long time I've seen a NSW supporter without a white flag.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 am

Pieday may not have been at his best but if QLD are going to claim and sort of loyalty card, then that dude deserved a quiet word after his selection.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 am

No Worries wrote:Pieday may not have been at his best but if QLD are going to claim and sort of loyalty card, then that dude deserved a quiet word after his selection.

I have been saying that he is well and truely past his used by date for a few years now as far as rep footy goes.
    The reason he gets a start in the Aus side over the likes of Papalii, Friz, Graham, Jtrbo, Fifita and so on has been beyond me for a while.

To just punt him like that is amazing, its on par with anything NSW has ever done Loyalty wise. His form warrants it, but again..

MythBusted.

Every single change that has been made is right - and yep, half should have been made before game 1 - but werent and they have been canned after one loss.

There is no such thing as pick and stick with QLD.
    Pick, win, stick.
    Pick, lose, fuck off.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:Firstly, get fucked Pieman.

QLD are clearly the more loyal team for selecting blokes that have done the job before but that doesn't exclude us from ever making changes when they are required.
    We are loyal but not simpletons like yourself.

That aside, I think Kevvie went into Game 1 too conservative and has now overcompensated as the changes are just too drastic IMO.

Thaiday has had a really good year and there is no way he should have been punted, that is a poor overreaction.

Oates wouldn't have been in my Game 1 team (I would have picked Slater and shuffled Boyd) but did what he was asked and I would have stuck with him.

Hess may be the flavour of the year but another year doing what he's been doing would have been the way I went - hopefully he takes the opportunity and steps up.

They lost 1 game meaningful game and didnt give the players a chance to redeem themselves. They punted them.
    CYAAAA QLD Loyalty myth.

Oates did nothing wrong.
    Oneil didnt do anything wrong besides get palmed off by hayne once.
    Guerra, Lillyman - nothing wrong.
    Pieaday, did nothing wrong.

All 100% punted with no chance to avenge the loss.

I am still shocked with a couple of the changes, but loving it.

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am

Pieman wrote:
    To just punt him like that is amazing, its on par with anything NSW has ever done Loyalty wise. His form warrants it, but again..

You got a few body blows in there.... and then came up with this tripe.

Nice way to try and erase a decade of "WTF" moments from the Blues brains trust, but, just... no. If we did this every season, for five years, and kept losing (hell, I'll give you a rough 50% on the time frame), then sure... have a crack then.

Until then, you're just celebrating one win. Under a new coach, no less....

Bloody NSW. Whinge we're too old, then whinge when we sack 'em Wink

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm