NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Pieman
    Pieman

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 43 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 am

ryno_ wrote:
    Jesus.

Sure, but having rep players in the forward pack (where ours predominately are) doesn't help to cover backline injuries. You could have the entire Australian forward pack in your side and you'd still struggle if you have peanuts playing in the spine.

Hunt was playing QCup 2 months into the year, before the injuries hit - he wasn't setting the world on fire at 7 either. Theyve been shuffling the halves all season long - Hunt's played more from the bench this year then Niko has.  

Bennett values depth - just not at the "skill" positions (as gross a term as that is). He puts all his depth into the engine room.  

Having the australian forward pack would make your defence fucking good. The attack would be stifled if you have the aus forward pack and Mead at fullback - but fuck me ur defence would be outstanding.
    Who is a better halfback? Hunt
    Who is a better hooker? Hunt
    Which position is more important? Considering neither are cameron smith - Halfback is.
    Put the better player in the more crucial position. Even put hunt at hooker and nikorima at 7 to lessen the blow of you must get them both starting. He isnt a fullbacks pube. Nikorima could do an effective job at hooker for 40-50 mins IMO with alex glenn starting. Much better than what he has ever done at fullback. Fucking weird and dumb move to put him at FB, Nikorima was great in the GF side coming on from the bench.

Bennett loves having a top heavy team. He 100% does not value having good depth at a club IMO. Funny you say that though because the most depth the club has at the moment is in the halves, the more skillful skill positions of them all.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 43 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by ryno_ Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 am

Pieman wrote:
    Put the better player in the more crucial position. Even put hunt at hooker and nikorima at 7 to lessen the blow of you must get them both starting. He isnt a fullbacks pube. Nikorima could do an effective job at hooker for 40-50 mins IMO with alex glenn starting. Much better than what he has ever done at fullback. Fucking weird and dumb move to put him at FB, Nikorima was great in the GF side coming on from the bench.

I'll be very surprised if Niko ends up being the FB. He's about 5'3. Surely Mead will start, move to wing and Kahu will play FB.

Pieman wrote:Bennett loves having a top heavy team. He 100% does not value having good depth at a club IMO. Funny you say that though because the most depth the club has at the moment is in the halves, the more skillful skill positions of them all.

Nah, most of our depth is in the forward pack. He likes it that way because depth in the forwards is cheap. Ofa, TPJ, Arrow, Ese'ese probably only cost a few buckets of KFC a week. Bennett is letting Marshall walk because he wants more then crumbs.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am

The 2017 team has Milford, Hunt, Nikorima, Marshall - thats fucking good depth cover for 2 positions.

Literally not one single forward you mentioned is an established first grader. They are cheap because they are young and inexperienced. Thats not depth. He would rather bring up a young Qcup player or buy a young guy from another club than spend a little bit and buy some experienced players for club depth - through the last few years anyway.

The side is very very top heavy then there are young inexperienced blokes on minimum contracts who fill out the rest of the roster/play when there are injuries. Sim's is just about the only experienced forward that has been purchased for this season.

There is zero depth at hooker
    None at fullback
    Nearly none in the outside backs. Pearson is about the only decent one - young an inexperienced tho, mead is a good depth winger I reckon.
    None in the back row (I shudder to think what would happen if Gillet went down injured)

There is a little in the front row with Blair/Sims/McGuire (13 is front row these days as we have established) mixed with the young inexperienced guys. In saying that, we know that bennett doesnt really like to spend cash on front rowers. I actually just saw on wiki that Ese'ese's debut was in 2015 at the Bulldogs, wow. He was apparently done DUI then released by the dogs.. lol. Most of the depth is in the forward pack, because generally 3 of the bench spots are taken by forwards. Clubs generally have more depth in the forwards because teams have more forwards on their rosters lol. The quality isnt really there though IMO when you go past the starters.

The halves have the best depth quality wise with Milford, Hunt, Marshall, Nikorima and Kahu at a streth as cover I recon.

Thats not a criticism, I just dont think bennett values having experienced players to cover as depth.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 am

I'd be worried if I was a Broncos fan. Cleary could have a field day with the defensive gaps without Boyd at the back.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 am

Pieman wrote:The 2017 team has Milford, Hunt, Nikorima, Marshall - thats fucking good depth cover for 2 positions.

Literally not one single forward you mentioned is an established first grader. They are cheap because they are young and inexperienced. Thats not depth. He would rather bring up a young Qcup player or buy a young guy from another club than spend a little bit and buy some experienced players for club depth - through the last few years anyway.

The side is very very top heavy then there are young inexperienced blokes on minimum contracts who fill out the rest of the roster/play when there are injuries. Sim's is just about the only experienced forward that has been purchased for this season.

There is zero depth at hooker
    None at fullback
    Nearly none in the outside backs. Pearson is about the only decent one - young an inexperienced tho, mead is a good depth winger I reckon.
    None in the back row (I shudder to think what would happen if Gillet went down injured)

There is a little in the front row with Blair/Sims/McGuire (13 is front row these days as we have established) mixed with the young inexperienced guys. In saying that, we know that bennett doesnt really like to spend cash on front rowers. I actually just saw on wiki that Ese'ese's debut was in 2015 at the Bulldogs, wow. He was apparently done DUI then released by the dogs.. lol. Most of the depth is in the forward pack, because generally 3 of the bench spots are taken by forwards. Clubs generally have more depth in the forwards because teams have more forwards on their rosters lol. The quality isnt really there though IMO when you go past the starters.

The halves have the best depth quality wise with Milford, Hunt, Marshall, Nikorima and Kahu at a streth as cover I recon.

Thats not a criticism, I just dont think bennett values having experienced players to cover as depth.

Ofa isnt an established first grader? He's giving 50 games a nudge. Little harsh. Him, TPJ, Arrow and Esese are fine depth players - technically Thaiday is probably a depth player nowadays aswell. Our pack hasn't taken a massive step back with the injury to Sims.

We have Waddell as hooker depth. He's shit but I guess technically he's there.

Opacic is a great outside back. He's going to be a star wherever he gets a run. Id rather have him in then Mead, personally. We have Isaako aswell, although he had a shocker in his only run.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 am

No Worries wrote:I'd be worried if I was a Broncos fan. Cleary could have a field day with the defensive gaps without Boyd at the back.

Its his boot I worry about. Buck the mascot has a better pair of hands then Mead - dont want him anywhere near the back 3 defusing bombs.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 am

ryno_ wrote:

Ofa isnt an established first grader? He's giving 50 games a nudge. Little harsh. Him, TPJ, Arrow and Esese are fine depth players - technically Thaiday is probably a depth player nowadays aswell. Our pack hasn't taken a massive step back with the injury to Sims.

We have Waddell as hooker depth. He's shit but I guess technically he's there.

Opacic is a great outside back. He's going to be a star wherever he gets a run. Id rather have him in then Mead, personally. We have Isaako aswell, although he had a shocker in his only run.

Joe O - He has played 44 games over three years according to wiki. Would be very surprised if more than 10 of them were starting and would be even more surprised if he averages 35 mins per game or more. He may very well become a good FG player, but at this stage in his career he is an OK bench prop. He is OK depth I guess. Maybe a little harsh on him, but come next year he should be a starting prop at the club and if he is he will establish himself as a legit NRL forward then. Depth will once again take a fair hit. Might have been slightly harsh on him sure. In saying that tho He hasnt forced his way into the starting side like Crichton or doesnt impact games like Hess - who I would consider as legit established first graders - who have all played like 20 less games than Joe O.

Yeah, thiaday kind of is a depth player - the same bloke who played state of origin/for australia this year tho lol.

Waddelol. Mate, come on. Just dont.

Opacic is a great outside back? He's 23 and has played 8 FG games. He is barely even a fringe first grader at this stage in his career. I dont know if hes been injured or whatever but, no, Opacic is not a great outside back. James roberts is a great outside back.
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 am

Pieman wrote:

Joe O - He has played 44 games over three years according to wiki. Would be very surprised if more than 10 of them were starting and would be even more surprised if he averages 35 mins per game or more. He may very well become a good FG player, but at this stage in his career he is an OK bench prop. He is OK depth I guess. Maybe a little harsh on him, but come next year he should be a starting prop at the club and if he is he will establish himself as a legit NRL forward then. Depth will once again take a fair hit. Might have been slightly harsh on him sure. In saying that tho He hasnt forced his way into the starting side like Crichton or doesnt impact games like Hess - who I would consider as legit established first graders - who have all played like 20 less games than Joe O.

Yeah, thiaday kind of is a depth player - the same bloke who played state of origin/for australia this year tho lol.

Waddelol. Mate, come on. Just dont.

Opacic is a great outside back? He's 23 and has played 8 FG games. He is barely even a fringe first grader at this stage in his career. I dont know if hes been injured or whatever but, no, Opacic is not a great outside back. James roberts is a great outside back.

I did say Travis is shit. But he's adequate as an origin time stop gap. I wouldn't want him near a field in finals football though.

Let me rephrase - Opacic is a great outside back compared to other depth-type outside backs at his experience level. He's bulking up slowly, coming back from an injury (shoulder i think, similar to Reed's ongoing problem) and will play regular first grade eventually.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:23 am

ryno_ wrote:

I did say Travis is shit. But he's adequate as an origin time stop gap. I wouldn't want him near a field in finals football though.

Let me rephrase - Opacic is a great outside back compared to other depth-type outside backs at his experience level. He's bulking up slowly, coming back from an injury (shoulder i think, similar to Reed's ongoing problem) and will play regular first grade eventually.

You did. But, No, Waddell is not a genuine depth player for hooker cover. Maybe to play 1 game if the hooker does his knee in the warm up - but no. Def not an option IMO.

Opacic.. 8 games.. so basically he is better than guys who have played a handful of games across 2 seasons who are in their early/mid 20s? Who cant get a look in over Pearson, Mead, who ever else they have tacked on the wing to cover for injury? You might be right, but I disagree with you mate lol, I still think that Bennett doesn't value good experienced depth at the club. He tends to go from having basically 13 super good starters to guys with little experience/very young in the first grade squad top 25. There isnt much of a medium.
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am

Broncos should easily account at home for a Panthers side that limped into the finals.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

fuck that shits me, we've been trying to play good fast footy and the refs are allowing the Panthers to control the ruck

Post by Guest Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am

DEfence has been exceptional continuing to put ourselves under pressurelike that, should be good enough to win from here provided Bennett washes the butter off their fingers at half time, also wouldn't hurt to send a quick reminder to the refs that they're officiating a rugby league game, not a UFC grapple-fest

Post by Guest Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm

luckless second half, we're the walking wounded and the refs are still letting the Panthers lie all over us, will be some sort of effort to get home from here.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

We'll get our arse handed to us by Storm next week, our only hope is them underestimating us and Boyd being back sparking some sort of ambush
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:01 pm

surmo13 wrote:We'll get our arse handed to us by Storm next week, our only hope is them underestimating us and Boyd being back sparking some sort of ambush

Hope so, I took the Storm to win the comp at the start of the finals and get a $2 bonus bet for every try they score.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Will be a dead-set miracle if we win next week. The injuries we've copped late in the season hurts a lot.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm hoping Smith and Cronk fail the HIA after a head clash in the first tackle of the game. Still, you're no chance if you're not there, so who knows.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:21 am

Stop talking it down lol they will get Boyd and TPJ back next week. All the blokes who copped knocks might be fine too.

Was a really entertaining game, was BS when they called a stop to play after the Oates knock out/knock on. They literally stopped Penrith scoring a try by doing that. Sets a huge precedent if we stop the game as soon as it looks like someone is injured now.

Bronco defence was epic at times, really played for each other, was great to watch.

I think moylan at FB really changes that game. Edwards is an energetic runner but far out he has zero attacking nouse in him. Moylan prob finishes off a few of those out the back plays if he is there.

Far out RCG had a game, he was unreal last night and has been for some time now. Would love to see him in the Australian side at the end of the year. He is gun.

Dip

Post by Dip Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:49 am

Moga went in to make the tackle on the guy who picked up the ball then pulled out when the whistle was blown. There was every chance he wraps up the ball and player and the play stops there. It was no given the try was scored.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:43 am

Solid win, positions them perfectly for the Storm next week when all and sundry write them off cause of a few injuries and a close win.

I'll be on the Broncos.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 am