NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2016 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 49

bluetige
    bluetige

2016 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 49 - Page 15 Empty Re: 2016 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 49

Post by bluetige Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:40 am

The refs and touchies managed to see a 10cm forward pass by Tim Grant near the end of the game but couldn't pick up a 3m forward pass in the Warriors disallowed try. Thankfully the bunker found a dubious obstruction.
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

2016 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 49 - Page 15 Empty Re: 2016 NRL.com Fantasy thread part 49

Post by EvenSteeden Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:45 am

B/L wrote:Yeah that was great reffing bias by the refs by allowing that 40/20 to go unmissed.

If your referring to those 2 obstruction plays. First one, pass was 10m forward so the ruling is irrelevant, 2nd one is clear as day.

Quote from RLW:

1. Tigers stay alive – with a bit of help from some awful officiating.
    If the Cowboys roll the Titans next week, Wests can make the eight if they beat the Raiders at Leichhardt. The Warriors didn’t deserve to win this game, but they do deserve to be furious over two obstruction calls that resulted in tries being disallowed. The first came after the siren blew to end the first half and the Kiwi team threw the ball around like mad, going from the left wing to the right, then back again with a long chain of crazy passes and offloads before Solomone Kata went over, sending the crowd into raptures. Then in stepped the bunker officials, who found that Jordan Rankin had been obstructed in what can only be described as one of the worst rulings of the season. In the second half Shaun Johnson had a great solo try taken away because the bunker ruled Aaron Woods had been obstructed. Yes, Kata’s try came off a forward pass that should’ve been picked up on the field, but the fact remains that decisions like these are a blight on the game.

I'll leave it at that. 'Clear as day' vs 'one of the worst rulings of the season'
    White Lightning
    White Lightning
    Fanatic

Post by White Lightning Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:05 am

At least we're not surprised with the Warriors lol.

Once again poor ball security costs us. And mixed with some bad 50/50 calls is not good but you get bad calls every game so you have to adjust.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:10 am

Seriously, does anyone pay attention when a ruling is described as "the worst of the season"?

We get the worst call of the season 2 or 3 times a week. Some people have zero perspective.

And how Johnson's try was anything other than a clear obstruction is beyond me. He ran behind his own player whilst Woods was trying to tackle him. Ruling couldn't be anything else.
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

Post by EvenSteeden Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:50 am

Milchcow wrote:
    Seriously,  does anyone pay attention when a ruling is described as "the worst of the season"?

We get the worst call of the season 2 or 3 times a week.  Some people have zero perspective.

And how Johnson's try was anything other than a clear obstruction is beyond me.  He ran behind his own player whilst Woods was trying to tackle him.  Ruling couldn't be anything else.

There's a big difference between clear as day vs worst of the season. The fact that people are talking about it would indicate it's controversial. You say it's a clear obstruction, I say it's not...Woods doesn't even try to tackle him, he clearly is trying to milk it that's blatantly obvious.
    In saying that, when it's a 50/50 split on a ruling that's when you have a problem.
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

Post by EvenSteeden Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 am

White Lightning wrote:At least we're not surprised with the Warriors lol.

Once again poor ball security costs us. And mixed with some bad 50/50 calls is not good but you get bad calls every game so you have to adjust.

Agree with that WL. Not debating the fact we played poorly, just want some consistency from the officials. At least now we know we're out, and don't get our hopes up for next week!
    Clack Bocks
    Clack Bocks

Post by Clack Bocks Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:03 am

EvenSteeden wrote:

There's a big difference between clear as day vs worst of the season. The fact that people are talking about it would indicate it's controversial. You say it's a clear obstruction, I say it's not...Woods doesn't even try to tackle him, he clearly is trying to milk it that's blatantly obvious.
    In saying that, when it's a 50/50 split on a ruling that's when you have a problem.

I agree, Woods charges into the warriors player and seconds later Johnson runs past him. Had woods been intending to tackle Johnson he would have shifted with him rather than milk the penalty

But yes the first try, huge forward pass and shouldn't have been allowed to go on.
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks to that try from Surgess I'm on 950 with just Josh Dugan to go. Damn if I'd got Cody Walker last week I'd have back to back 1000's. My first 1000 is riding all on the Dragons, oh dear I think it's going to be a so close yet so far away again this week.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:06 am

Both obstructions were no try given how the game has been officiated this season. Doesnt mean I agree with it but thats just how it is.

If you are having a whinge and blaming the refs, I suggest you turn your attention to your football club. Absolute basket case, how that side misses the top 8 should be a crime.
    rhinoceroo
    rhinoceroo
    Fanatic

Post by rhinoceroo Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:15 am

Damn Cody Walker. Was set to go really huge before he decided he was more interested in getting the Paul Carter award.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:26 am

I was 9k off being able to trade guth to inglis and apparently I should have played Barnett over SJ... Bugger. Ah well, time to cry into my delicious Danish beers.
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

Post by EvenSteeden Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 am

B/L wrote:Both obstructions were no try given how the game has been officiated this season. Doesnt mean I agree with it but thats just how it is.

If you are having a whinge and blaming the refs, I suggest you turn your attention to your football club. Absolute basket case, how that side misses the top 8 should be a crime.

The second 'no try' has had plenty of calls go the other way, that's WHY the issue was raised. If the refs/bunker/monkeys/pokemon are consistent with the ruling this debate doesn't need to be held in the first place. We all accept consistent rulings whether they are good or bad.

Calling the club a basket case has nothing to do with the subject at hand....it's just an attempt to shift the subject onto something its not.

Clack Bocks
    Clack Bocks

Post by Clack Bocks Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 am

B/L wrote:Both obstructions were no try given how the game has been officiated this season. Doesnt mean I agree with it but thats just how it is.

No question the warriors played rubbish and did themselves no favours with errors and what seemed to be a lack of fitness at times,they lost it but the woods obstruction really gets my goat
    OnTheLast
    OnTheLast

Post by OnTheLast Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:16 am

The Warriors just lack focus when it counts. One of their biggest problems I believe is their inability to keep the foot on the throat of the opposition. Like when Lolohea scores that try in the second half they need to be thinking of closing the game out, forcing goal line drop outs, or keeping the opposition stuck in their own 40. They look in La-la land a lot of the time on the last tackle and it creates so many opportunities for counter attacks.

Of course the other problems are the errors and the defence but with the Warriors that's like saying you can lead a horse to water...
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:41 am

EvenSteeden wrote:

You do realise that the "clear as day" obstruction (Woods on Johnson)  is a different call to the "worst call of the season" (Rankin on someone)

You'll always get a fan split on the rulings because a lot of fans either don't know the rules as well as the refs, or because they want decisions to favour their gut feels rather than the actual laws of the game.
    EvenSteeden
    EvenSteeden

Post by EvenSteeden Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:36 am

Milchcow wrote:

You do realise that the "clear as day" obstruction (Woods on Johnson)  is a different call to the "worst call of the season" (Rankin on someone)

You'll always get a fan split on the rulings because a lot of fans either don't know the rules as well as the refs, or because they want decisions to favour their gut feels rather than the actual laws of the game.

I actually believe the Woods obstruction was worse than the first one, funnily enough.
    Milchy, I'm sure you wouldn't try to imply anything by that last comment Razz The fact that Coaches, players, some supporters and the media are talking about this does point to there being a big question mark over it. It's not to say what was the right and wrong call.

wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by wolfking Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:39 am

912 with De Belin and Aitken to go. If Aitken can pull his finger out, should hit 1K again.

Screw SJ, he's obviously playing injured though. I agree Woods played that obstruction up, and even though it cost SJ points, he did run behind the player. Based on how they have been officiating these calls, they just went with how they have ruled on every other case.

The Barba to Walker trade worked well. Might use my final trade on SJ next week.

I also missed the first part of the Rabbits game, but I heard something on MMM that Ricky told them he was going to rest a lot of players next week. Don't know if it was a piss take as I didn't hear it and what context it was meant in. It was just an off the cuff remark by the commentator.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:40 am

Johnson cant run behind his own defender simple as that. He just cant do it.

If he wants to continue play to the left hand side of the field he needs to pass or kick it, he isnt entitled to run the thing when his lead runner is just standing there. Woods has every right to shove him because he needs to run through the line or not be there, simple as that.
    Johnny B Goode
    Johnny B Goode

Post by Johnny B Goode Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:45 am

wolfking wrote:I also missed the first part of the Rabbits game, but I heard something on MMM that Ricky told them he was going to rest a lot of players next week.  Don't know if it was a piss take as I didn't hear it and what context it was meant in.  It was just an off the cuff remark by the commentator.

I personally believe Ricky will rest Sezer for next weeks game. Doesn't need scans but he's known to have his issues with injury and better to finish 3rd and travel away than have your other half go down heading into the finals. Don't think the popular buys like Croker and Leilua will be rested, Rapana could get the week off while they trial Kata Ottio and they could give Fensom a run to keep everyone else fresh but that's it.
    Jele
    Jele

NFL Fantasy L1 Champion : 2019
    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2020

Post by Jele Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:48 am

Nobody seems to know the rules. Joey Johns (perhaps with one blue and one red eye) was prepared to disallow a try to Cook in the first half because he 'impeded' a Knights defender as he was running alongside (ie in support) of Inglis as he made a break. Players can't magically disappear, but if they are not active and/or loitering in the defensive line and the ball carrier runs behind them, then its a penalty. Unfortunately, players now have the incentive to make a meal out of any contact to make sure the referee/bunker picks it up. Woods could have moved sideways to try and cover SJ, but chose to run into the back of the Warriors player to get the penalty. Unfortunately, there is now an incentive for players to take a dive, rather than make a genuine attempt to reach the ball player.

Having said all of that, I thought the Rankin play should have been play on, as I don't think Rankin would have reached the Warriors player before passed it (forward pass notwithstanding). The Woods one was a clear penalty for me. In both cases, the Tigers player initiated and exaggerated the contact, and then immediately turned to the refs with an arm up in protest. If I was coaching a team, I'd tell them to do the same.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 pm