NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread - Page 39 Empty Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

Post by ryno_ Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:11 am

Dip wrote:

It's Brisbane mate. Ben Te'o was a weekly feature on one of the most popular radio stations. I saw a bit of his work, and it wasn't because of his flair for the media.

It was because he was genuinely friends with Luttsy. Just a jobs for mates deal.
    Pieman
    Pieman

2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread - Page 39 Empty Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

Post by Pieman Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Honeysett wrote:Hope Bennett gets through his personal problems alright, would be pretty hard to focus on finals football and going through a separation at the same time. Shows what the guy is made of to put on a brave face.

Wow had no idea..

How long has he been married for?
    I might be way off, and there is no disrespect intended but in general it is odd for someone in their mid to late 60s to get separated from their partner.

Generally it happens in the first few years of the relationship doesnt it, not when you have been with someone for 30odd years??
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Pieman wrote:

Wow had no idea..

How long has he been married for?
    I might be way off, and there is no disrespect intended but in general it is odd for someone in their mid to late 60s to get separated from their partner.

Generally it happens in the first few years of the relationship doesn't it, not when you have been with someone for 30 odd years??

Plenty of people stay together for the kids and once they have left home go their separate ways.

When I read HS post I just figured he'd kicked Boyd to the curb for dropping that bomb.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:29 pm

No Worries wrote:

Plenty of people stay together for the kids and once they have left home go their separate ways.

When I read HS post I just figured he'd kicked Boyd to the curb for dropping that bomb.

Yeah but thats usually in their late 40s not their late 60's!

I would love to see this movie.

Wayne breaks up with the wife and moves in with Step-son Darius.
    Thats got comedic gold written all over it.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Pieman wrote:

Yeah but thats usually in their late 40s not their late 60's!

I would love to see this movie.

Wayne breaks up with the wife and moves in with Step-son  Darius.
    Thats got comedic gold written all over it.

Sounds like an episode of Frasier. Ben Ikin could play the role of the brother / brother in-law
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Speaking of Frasier, you know what I really liked? When the Simpsons had Sideshow Bob's brother be the same brother from Frasier. Something I didn't know when I was a kid watching it but appreciated later in life.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Also that episode was called "Brother from another series"

Nice little nod
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Now that the dust has settled...

Was the Bronco's season a failure?
    Did they reach their goals?
    Did they live up to expectations?
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Pieman wrote:Now that the dust has settled...

Knocked out week 2 of the finals is a fail IMO given the GF appearance last year, where we were and how we were playing after a third of the season, and given we had a reasonable run with injuries. It wasn't a disastrous result, but yeah, definitely underachieved.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Pieman wrote:Now that the dust has settled...

Firstly, the dust has far from settled and I'm still deadset filthy on life Pieman you insensitive arsehole....

Anyway as for the season, it is a tough call to be honest but in my view it is neither a failure or success.

Just far too simplistic to simply say we reached the GF last year and anything less is therefore a failure.

There's 16 other teams out there trying to achieve the same goal and because of the length of the season, I really think your best/only shot of winning the comp is that complex balancing act between winning as many games throughout the year as you can, with pacing yourself and then hitting your straps come finals time.

This year I was confident we were gaining momentum and hitting our straps at the right time of the year (as proven by both the Melbourne game and the NQ final), we just didn't win as many games as we could through the middle part of the season and that slump put us in a vulnerable position which ultimately led to us having to play another form team - crucially at their home ground.

And nobody will ever know but one extra win throughout the season (say the 18-19 loss against the Tigers during SOO...) may have been the difference in the end.
    Suddenly you are Top 4 and either through to the prelim after a win in Week 1 or playing a home semi (and getting the rub of the green) during Week 2.

So back to my original point; in my opinion success this year would have been winning or even making the GF; failure would have been missing out on the finals or even limping in without any momentum and bowing out Week 1.

In summary:

Neutral
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 am

We came close. We came up against the Cows in yet another battle for the ages, and lost it in heartbreaking fashion. Again.

Still - there's some absolute quality in the finals this year - normally there's only 2, maybe 3 teams to take note of come finals time, but this series has been of the highest quality.

We need to sign a forward pretty quick, IMO. We are one injury or form slump away from getting rolled in the middle. If McGuire levels up on his achilles injury, or Thaiday finds the pies at the back of the freezer, we'd be spending too much energy containing bigger packs.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:06 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Firstly, the dust has far from settled and I'm still deadset filthy on life Pieman you insensitive arsehole....

Anyway as for the season, it is a tough call to be honest but in my view it is neither a failure or success.

Just far too simplistic to simply say we reached the GF last year and anything less is therefore a failure.

There's 16 other teams out there trying to achieve the same goal and because of the length of the season, I really think your best/only shot of winning the comp is that complex balancing act between winning as many games throughout the year as you can, with pacing yourself and then hitting your straps come finals time.

And nobody will ever know but one extra win throughout the season (say the 18-19 loss against the Tigers during SOO...) may have been the difference in the end.
    Suddenly you are Top 4 and either through to the prelim after a win in Week 1 or playing a home semi (and getting the rub of the green) during Week 2.

So back to my original point; in my opinion success this year would have been winning or even making the GF; failure would have been missing out on the finals or even limping in without any momentum and bowing out Week 1.

Neutral
    This bolded paragraph is admitting that the season was a failure.

The bronco's season was not a total failure, but their ultimate goal would have been to 1. Make the GF and 2. Win the GF. They didnt achieve these, they didnt even make a GF qualifier.

Positives on the season would be - blooding a few young blokes, bringing themselves out of that horrible slump they were in, milf having 2/3 of a great season, boyd's maturity coming through, having a few of the best matches I have ever seen with the cowboys this year ... what else?

Negatives - Parker's retirement from nowhere, that horrible slump they went into, Hunt's form being stagnant or even going backwards from the last few years, some off field issues (Roberts, The Rat in the ranks thing, some other shit I cant think of off the top of my head), supercoach in his second year back and not improving on his first year, not making the GF qualifier, teams figuring out that Oates struggles taking high balls/has a loose carry on his runbacks sometimes.

Come the end of the season they had a few injuries to outside backs, but so did the cowboys so thats hardly an excuse.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 am

A good team with GF aspirations didn't make it. Sure - it's a failure, but that's pretty high pass mark.

Not sure if you want us to rub gravel through our hair and rend garments? Or did you just have a bet with a mate about how many times you could fit the words "Broncos" and "failure" into the same post? Dead Horse :pp:
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:07 am

What's the window for a premiership? Let's say in Bennetts first year you overachieved and made the GF. This year would have been top 4 and make it to the final 4. So not a pass mark, what about next year? Do you stay the same or go backwards? When do you need to win that premiership before the window is over?
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 am

We've got a young squad. I'd say it's open for longer than most.

Would be nice to crack one next year. If not, there'd be an air of quiet desperation around the forums....

Next year's squad is light on the beef though. Really worried about our forwards. Would love to poach one of the Bulldogs or Sydney massive units away. Dylan Napa or similar.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 am

^ Pretty much this, it would be nice to get one. We are already in or around the Top 4 teams in the NRL but it is also a young team.

Milford - 22, Hunt/McCullough/McGuire - 26, Gillett - 28, Boyd - 29.

Our forwards are serviceable at best, but we have talent coming through and will help build a platform. Not sure who we have inline for FB after Boyd, but I say our window is open as long as we have our roster and Boyd is still around. Not sure how we fare after that, it depends who replaces Boyd.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Honeysett wrote:What's the window for a premiership? Let's say in Bennetts first year you overachieved and made the GF. This year would have been top 4 and make it to the final 4. So not a pass mark, what about next year? Do you stay the same or go backwards? When do you need to win that premiership before the window is over?
    When you can buy anyone you want that window tends to stay open.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Honeysett wrote:What's the window for a premiership? Let's say in Bennetts first year you overachieved and made the GF. This year would have been top 4 and make it to the final 4. So not a pass mark, what about next year? Do you stay the same or go backwards? When do you need to win that premiership before the window is over?

Premiership windows are for uneven comps like the AFL. It doesn't really apply in the NRL. Take the Panthers for example. They'll be looking to make top 4 next year, only 3 seasons after making it with a fairly different team.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Random wrote:^ Pretty much this, it would be nice to get one. We are already in or around the Top 4 teams in the NRL but it is also a young team.

Milford - 22, Hunt/McCullough/McGuire - 26, Gillett - 28, Boyd - 29.

Our forwards are serviceable at best, but we have talent coming through and will help build a platform. Not sure who we have inline for FB after Boyd, but I say our window is open as long as we have our roster and Boyd is still around. Not sure how we fare after that, it depends who replaces Boyd.

Good young spine, but I don't think it will stay together.  I don't believe Bennett is a massive wrap on Hunt and will be prepared to cut him lose if he gets offered good cash by the Dragons, or Souths or even if he chooses to link back up with Norman at the Eels.  I don't see him at Brisbane beyond 2017.  I'd even suggest Milford, who we know walks to the beat of his own drum, might jump for big dollars elsewhere now, but think that is less likely than Hunt going or getting moved on.

Will be interesting to see.  I'd suggest you still have the squad to win next year as you won't lose quite as many players around Origin and can't see you replicating that slump again.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Certainly for this team the window has closed.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm