NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin Game 3

Ice

State of Origin Game 3 - Page 11 Empty Re: State of Origin Game 3

Post by Ice Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:32 am

Dip wrote:

Probably Friend, though chances are the bench utility becomes someone like a Jake Glanville, James Segeyaro type of attacking halfback (or whoever is the best player in that role in 2018, 2019 or whenever that might be). The way Smith is going, retirement might still be some time away and his successor might be the next Cam Smith and not even have played first grade yet.

McCullough is under-rated by everyone except Broncos supporters. A large part of our mid season slump is due to him being missing through injury.

While of course all options are a step down from Smith, you've got to remember that when he retires, in all likelihood Farah and Ennis are retired to, and at the moment there is just as big a gap to Nathan Peats, Mitch Rein or whoever is NSW best option. Sometimes also rep football can be the making of a player.

Funny thing about hookers, the role evolves so much over time. Steve Walters was universally regarded as the best hooker ever. Then he retired and almost immediately Buderus was universally regarded the best hooker ever. Then Smith became universally acknowledged as the best hooker ever. Maybe that's coincidence. If not, whoever Australia's next long term hooker is will be one hell of a player.

Im a massive McCullough fan. Never said a bad word about him. He will replace Smith in the Qld jumper for sure and likely the Aus jumper if NSW don't pick Peats in the next year or two.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 am

Dip wrote:

Funny thing about hookers, the role evolves so much over time. Steve Walters was universally regarded as the best hooker ever. Then he retired and almost immediately Buderus was universally regarded the best hooker ever. Then Smith became universally acknowledged as the best hooker ever. Maybe that's coincidence. If not, whoever Australia's next long term hooker is will be one hell of a player.

Yeah this is a good point.
    To be considered a good hooker these days you need to have an excellent kicking game, you need to be able to control the ruck speed, you need to have a good running game, passing game, play 80, get through 40 tackles, coach the side, manipulate the refs and generally be the smartest person on the field.

Its no longer enough to just have a great passing game, be able to dart every now and then and to tackle ur dick off, which is what 90% of hookers are.

If someone like Peats played 15 years ago, he would be regarded as the best hooker in the game. Tough as nails, relatively handy player, great passing game, kicking game.

Personally, I just dont see it with McCullough. I mean, hes a serviceable hooker dont get me wrong, but I just dont see the excellence in him that others do.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am

Pieman wrote:

Yeah this is a good point.
    To be considered a good hooker these days you need to have an excellent kicking game, you need to be able to control the ruck speed, you need to have a good running game, passing game, play 80, get through 40 tackles, coach the side, manipulate the refs and generally be the smartest person on the field.

Its no longer enough to just have a great passing game, be able to dart every now and then and to tackle ur dick off, which is what 90% of hookers are.

If someone like Peats played 15 years ago, he would be regarded as the best hooker in the game. Tough as nails, relatively handy player, great passing game, kicking game.

Personally, I just dont see it with McCullough. I mean, hes a serviceable hooker dont get me wrong, but I just dont see the excellence in him that others do.

I still think McCullough has a lot of development in him, no question, and he is lucky that he is in a stacked Broncos side and always will be, and that is why he will be the next Qld hooker. He is miles off Smith, will never come close to him, and he is behind Ennis, Farah, Peats, Hodgson, Luke and Friend but he is in a perfect position to inherit Smiths 9 and will continue to improve from there if he stays healthy. As someone else mentioned, he is crucial to the cohesiveness of the Brisbane attack.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:38 am

Ice wrote:

I still think McCullough has a lot of development in him, no question, and he is lucky that he is in a stacked Broncos side and always will be, and that is why he will be the next Qld hooker.  He is miles off Smith, will never come close to him, and he is behind Ennis, Farah, Peats, Hodgson, Luke and Friend but he is in a perfect position to inherit Smiths 9 and will continue to improve from there if he stays healthy.  As someone else mentioned, he is crucial to the cohesiveness of the Brisbane attack.

Personally, yeah, I agree with that.
    I am not ragging on him or anything, personally I would love for some of the bronco fans to say why they rate him so highly. I think he is nothing but a serviceable hooker in an enviable position.

If you chuck someone like Peats/Friend/Ennis/Farah/Luke/Hodgson in that bronco's side personally I think they do a better job than what McCullough does. But thats just me.

Spot on Ice
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:13 am

I've never rated him that highly, P-man. What' I've come to realise and appreciate this/last season, though, is how well we've crafted a forwards plan that basically centres around McCullough. We don't have a big forward pack, so we need a hooker that makes 50 tackles a game.

That aspect of his game is more important to the Broncos game plan than other areas of his game. I thought we were nuts letting Granville (now a premiership-winner) and Parcell (QRL champion) go, but I think he's a good fit for our game plan *right now*. We came within 10 seconds of winning the entire show last year, so....

It'd would have been a luxury to have a Granville come off the bench, but that wasn't sustainable long term.

I'd have Cam Smith in a heart beat. I'd have Peats

You can keep Friend / Ennis / Farah - too old. Never liked Luke, but rate him. Hodgson could be a good thing though. Of the lot, I reckon I'd rather have Parcell back Sad
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:20 am

dasherhalo wrote:I've never rated him that highly, P-man. What' I've come to realise and appreciate this/last season, though, is how well we've crafted a forwards plan that basically centres around McCullough. We don't have a big forward pack, so we need a hooker that makes 50 tackles a game.

That aspect of his game is more important to the Broncos game plan than other areas of his game. I thought we were nuts letting Granville (now a premiership-winner) and Parcell (QRL champion) go, but I think he's a good fit for our game plan *right now*. We came within 10 seconds of winning the entire show last year, so....

It'd would have been a luxury to have a Granville come off the bench, but that wasn't sustainable long term.

I'd have Cam Smith in a heart beat. I'd have Peats

You can keep Friend / Ennis / Farah - too old. Never liked Luke, but rate him. Hodgson could be a good thing though. Of the lot, I reckon I'd rather have Parcell back Sad

I agree with this assessment. that IS why I rate him, he fits in just right for what is required. I don't think you need a Granville on the bench for the game you guys play.

If I had to choose, Id still take Smith obviously, and I'd take Peats also, but even though I think right now Friend/Ennis/Farah/Luke/Hodgson are better footballers, If I had a choice, I'd only take Hodgson ahead of McCullough.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:23 am

Fair enough!

IMO - he is similar to jake friend. Just a serviceable hooker who is a pass mark every week.
    Makes a lot of tackles but has very little in attack. Friend prob has more in attack than him IMO.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am

Pieman wrote:Fair enough!

IMO - he is similar to jake friend. Just a serviceable hooker who is a pass mark every week.
    Makes a lot of tackles but has very little in attack. Friend prob has more in attack than him IMO.

Interestingly, Friend and McCullough are born only 2 days apart. Andrew being the elder and the first person born in the 90's to play first grade footy.

McCullough scores tries at an ever so slight increase per game than Friend. But would be interesting to see their try/line break assist and line break/tackle bust stats.  I know who'd be leading the forward pass from Dummy half stat though.....My gosh McC gets away with more than any rake ive ever seen Smile.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:54 am

Ice wrote:

Interestingly, Friend and McCullough are born only 2 days apart. Andrew being the elder and the first person born in the 90's to play first grade footy.

McCullough scores tries at an ever so slight increase per game than Friend. But would be interesting to see their try/line break assist and line break/tackle bust stats.  I know who'd be leading the forward pass from Dummy half stat though.....My gosh McC gets away with more than any rake ive ever seen Smile.

Over his career, he has had the ball knocked out of his hands before he passes it more than any hooker I have ever seen too
    He has cleaned it up a bit but for a while it was happening every single game pretty much

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm