NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    Round 17

    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 7242
    Reputation : 3533
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by No Worries on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:14 pm

    What about leading with your boot to stop the grounding of the ball ?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 6068
    Reputation : 2329
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 32
    Location : Scarborough

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:33 pm

    Your Name wrote:What about leading with your boot to stop the grounding of the ball ?

    Not really relating to this but I have always wondered two things

    1) Why don't players instead of trying to slide in at the player they slide on the ground where the guy is going to try and plant the ball, dive in onto your back and attempt to grab the ball when he grounds it on you.

    2) why do players try to hit the ball dead instead of grounding it, safer and easier to do.
    avatar
    leaguegod

    Posts : 1198
    Reputation : 141
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by leaguegod on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:52 am

    @Honeysett wrote:I read somewhere that it wouldn't be deemed a penalty either. Strange.


    probably just a common sense interpretation



    a guy throwing his body on the line to save a try resulting in a penalty try would be horrendous imo
    Pieman
    Pieman

    Posts : 3506
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Pieman on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:10 am

    @leaguegod wrote:


    probably just a common sense interpretation



    a guy throwing his body on the line to save a try resulting in a penalty try would be horrendous imo

    But it's against the rules to do a shoulder charge...
    If you did a head high it would be a penalty try, it should be the same for a shoulder charge.
    If not, fuck off the shoulder charge rule all together.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Guest on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:18 am

    Who are we kidding, when was the last time a penalty try was awarded does anyone know? Like sin binning the refs are scared to award a penalty try.
    avatar
    leaguegod

    Posts : 1198
    Reputation : 141
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by leaguegod on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 am

    Bren wrote:Who are we kidding, when was the last time a penalty try was awarded does anyone know?

    like 10-11 days ago ?
    avatar
    leaguegod

    Posts : 1198
    Reputation : 141
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by leaguegod on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:51 am

    @Pieman wrote:

    But it's against the rules to do a shoulder charge...
    If you did a head high it would be a penalty try, it should be the same for a shoulder charge.
    If not, fuck off the shoulder charge rule all together.

    i'm not sure most high tackles would be either, only in a fairly unique situation where the guy is pretty much over the line and get knocked senseless by the head high or somthing, i don't think a high tackles 5 yards out would ever result in a penalty try these days.

    re shoulder charge, maybe it should just completely be allowed in try scoring situations, i mean they allow tackling in the air in those situations despite the injury risk being exactly the same anywhere else on the field
    avatar
    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1567
    Reputation : 416
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:37 pm

    @leaguegod wrote:

    i'm not sure most high tackles would be either, only in a fairly unique situation where the guy is pretty much over the line and get knocked senseless by the head high or somthing, i don't think a high tackles 5 yards out would ever result in a penalty try these days.

    re shoulder charge, maybe it should just completely be allowed in try scoring situations, i mean they allow tackling in the air in those situations despite the injury risk being exactly the same anywhere else on the field

    Or maybe they should just allow it back into the game??

    I mean it's fairly obvious it was brought into the rules as a risk mitigation measure for when ex-players get older and start suing the NRL......so how can the NRL let some go and not others?
    It almost increases the NRL's risk because they are acknowledging it and accepting it in certain scenario's.

    Either it is banned completely......or not at all (my preference and the logical solution).

    No Worries
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 7242
    Reputation : 3533
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by No Worries on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:16 am

    @Honeysett wrote:

    Not really relating to this but I have always wondered two things

    1) Why don't players instead of trying to slide in at the player they slide on the ground where the guy is going to try and plant the ball, dive in onto your back and attempt to grab the ball when he grounds it on you.

    2) why do players try to hit the ball dead instead of grounding it, safer and easier to do.

    No.1 - It would have to do with body and position and momentum I guess. Teams get coaches from other sports to train specific skills, not sure which sport could teach you that.

    No. 2 - Blows my mind this one. I take a lot of enjoyment out of giving it to a player who trys to bat it out fucks up and has a try scored against them. I blame the coaches. Players for the most part aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but surely can be trained to ground a football.
    Pieman
    Pieman

    Posts : 3506
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Pieman on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 am

    Your Name wrote:

    No.1 - It would have to do with body and position and momentum I guess. Teams get coaches from other sports to train specific skills, not sure which sport could teach you that.

    No. 2 - Blows my mind this one. I take a lot of enjoyment out of giving it to a player who trys to bat it out fucks up and has a try scored against them.  I blame the coaches. Players for the most part aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but surely can be trained to ground a football.
    1. would be pretty hard to do imo....
    2. Yeah or just catch it and get tackled with it... its an odd one
    avatar
    Dip

    Posts : 1592
    Reputation : 283
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Dip on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:21 pm

    1. I suspect if you have time to dive under the ball before it is grounded, then you have time, and a better chance, of making a tackle on a player and trying to force it free. That's why so many tackles in that circumstance are them trying to slap the ball out.
    2. I don't think it's safer and easier to ground the ball personally. I don't see many times when they attempt to bat the ball dead and fuck up, but I do see plenty of times when an attacker trying to ground the ball is shown not to have grounded it effectively when it goes to the video ref. To be honest it probably happens 3-4 times a round. They don't try to catch it because it is a play which is more likely to lead to an error, or a strip, or a lost ball in the tackle.
    Pieman
    Pieman

    Posts : 3506
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Round 17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Round 17

    Post by Pieman on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:35 pm

    So the sharks are the real deal hey..?!
    You can just see the confidence and energy everyone is playing with there. Its great to see!

      Current date/time is Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm