NRL Fantasy Fanatics



Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    blindsidenrl
    blindsidenrl

    Posts : 6
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2024-05-07

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by blindsidenrl Tue May 07, 2024 1:35 pm

    Come check us out for all things NRL Fantasy on the Daily. Happy to help with Trade Advice

    We are unable to post a link directly to the thread as we are less than 7 day members on this site

    But our Instagram username is @blindsidenrl

    We will be active on all social platforms, but we have a preference towards our Patreon, Instagram and Facebook Smile
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    Posts : 1690
    Reputation : 929
    Join date : 2016-02-05

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Simon Templar Tue May 07, 2024 4:35 pm

    blindsidenrl wrote:Come check us out for all things NRL Fantasy on the Daily. Happy to help with Trade Advice

    We are unable to post a link directly to the thread as we are less than 7 day members on this site

    But our Instagram username is @blindsidenrl

    We will be active on all social platforms, but we have a preference towards our Patreon, Instagram and Facebook Smile

    .

    Welcome to the forum .

    Why is the "short-side" in a rugby league match historically known as the "blind-side"?
    .
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 19244
    Reputation : 9481
    Join date : 2015-08-03
    Age : 28

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by standard-issue Tue May 07, 2024 7:57 pm

    Simon Templar wrote:
    blindsidenrl wrote:Come check us out for all things NRL Fantasy on the Daily. Happy to help with Trade Advice

    We are unable to post a link directly to the thread as we are less than 7 day members on this site

    But our Instagram username is @blindsidenrl

    We will be active on all social platforms, but we have a preference towards our Patreon, Instagram and Facebook Smile

    .

    Welcome to the forum .

    Why is the "short-side" in a rugby league match historically known as the "blind-side"?
    .

    I always figured it was because back in our day all the defending players marking the open side couldn't actually see what was happening on the other side of the scrum?

    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    Posts : 1690
    Reputation : 929
    Join date : 2016-02-05

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Simon Templar Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 pm

    standard-issue wrote:

    I always figured it was because back in our day all the defending players marking the open side couldn't actually see what was happening on the other side of the scrum?


    Hey SI. It's to do with the position of the referee.

    Traditionally, scrums are/were fed from the short-side, so that the referee could look towards both the scrum and the open-side. Hence, the referee was "blind" to anyone on the short-side because they had their back to the short-side (i.e. "blind-side").

    Also, prior to the introduction of the 5-metre rule in the mid-60's (it had previously been 3-metres and then 1-metre/no metres before that), the referee commonly refereed from beside the play the ball, looking towards the open-side, with their back to the "blind-side".
    .


    Last edited by Simon Templar on Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    standard-issue
    standard-issue
    Moderator

    Posts : 19244
    Reputation : 9481
    Join date : 2015-08-03
    Age : 28

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by standard-issue Tue May 07, 2024 10:14 pm

    Simon Templar wrote:
    standard-issue wrote:

    I always figured it was because back in our day all the defending players marking the open side couldn't actually see what was happening on the other side of the scrum?


    Hey SI. It's to do with the position of the referee.

    Traditionally, scrums are/were fed from the short-side, so that the referee could look towards both the scrum and the open-side. Hence, the referee was "blind" to anyone on the short-side because they had their back to the short-side (i.e. "blind-side").

    Also, prior to the introduction of the 5-metre rule in the mid-60's (it had previously been 3-metres and then 1-metre/no metres before that), the referee commonly refereed ⁷from beside the play the ball, looking towards the open-side, with their back to the "blind-side".
    .

    3-metres way back when, wowsers!
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    Posts : 1690
    Reputation : 929
    Join date : 2016-02-05

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Simon Templar Thu May 09, 2024 6:34 pm

    standard-issue wrote:

    3-metres way back when, wowsers!  

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_league

    According to that Wikipedia page:

    1/ the 10-metre rule was introduced mid-season in 1993 (I remember this happening)

    2/ an 8-metre rule was introduced at the start of the 1993 season (I barely remember this)

    3/ the 5-yard (4.7-metre) rule was introduced in 1966, and then eventually changed to 5-metres when Australia went fully metric

    4/ the 3-yard rule was introduced in 1956

    5/ prior to 1956, a "no-yard" rule was used (although I've heard/seen this referred to as a 1-yard rule elsewhere)

    NB: You and I (and other old farts) would remember the 5-metre rule, but, since it was last used in 1992, it's just dawned on me that very few people under the age of 40 would remember it (and any one under 32 wasn't even alive when it was last used).
    .
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Posts : 24708
    Reputation : 17143
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Milchcow Thu May 09, 2024 7:10 pm


    I remember going from 5 to 10.

    I don't remember the 8m in between, for however long it lasted
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    Posts : 1690
    Reputation : 929
    Join date : 2016-02-05

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Simon Templar Thu May 09, 2024 7:28 pm

    Milchcow wrote:
    I remember going from 5 to 10.

    I don't remember the 8m in between, for however long it lasted

    It was a case of "if you blinked, you missed it."

    From that Wikipedia page, for the rule changes in 1993:

    A ten-metre (11-yard) offside rule was introduced mid-season for non-markers on the defending team at the play-the-ball, amending the 8-metre (8.7-yard) rule introduced at the beginning of the season.[27][40]
    .
    blindsidenrl
    blindsidenrl

    Posts : 6
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2024-05-07

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by blindsidenrl Wed May 15, 2024 12:29 am

    First off all, I'm pretty new to forums haha so apologies if this doesn't populate correctly. Would love to get some brief rundown on how to do this with best etiquette, so I can be more active.

    But to be honest, the history of Blindside is of absolutely no knowledge to me haha

    The reason I called the business Blindside is when I played footy, I was known for taking the Blindside and when I play fantasy, I'm always jumping on juicy PODs haha
    Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

    Posts : 1690
    Reputation : 929
    Join date : 2016-02-05

    Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis Empty Re: Blindside NRL Fantasy Analysis

    Post by Simon Templar Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 pm

    blindsidenrl wrote:First off all, I'm pretty new to forums haha so apologies if this doesn't populate correctly. Would love to get some brief rundown on how to do this with best etiquette, so I can be more active.

    But to be honest, the history of Blindside is of absolutely no knowledge to me haha

    The reason I called the business Blindside is when I played footy, I was known for taking the Blindside and when I play fantasy, I'm always jumping on juicy PODs haha

    So now your know the history/etymology behind your self-chosen moniker. You're welcome. ;-)
    .

      Current date/time is Sun May 26, 2024 12:39 am